Ferry County homicide victim IDed

Ferry County homicide victim IDed

There are 222 comments on the Spokesman Review story from Oct 29, 2008, titled Ferry County homicide victim IDed. In it, Spokesman Review reports that:

The man slain in Ferry County last week was Jeremy Karavias, 19, of Kent, Wash. Corey Monaghan, 35, of Renton, Wash., faces charges of first-degree murder and first-degree arson in the Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spokesman Review.

Prayers4Jordan_R achel

Seattle, WA

#21 Nov 5, 2008
The two kids .... have each other to comfort. They have been through so much, it truely is amazing to me. Losing both of their parents and now their older brother??? I admire the two of them a tremendous amount, you really have no idea. They are both so strong and such good people. They are growing up to be beautiful young adults.
My heart goes out to the family that is constantly there for these two people. I love the Karavias' family and will always have them in my thoughts and prayers. Miss you both ... God Bless and keep your chin up kids.
Vicki from Ravensdale

Seattle, WA

#22 Nov 6, 2008
So many judgemental people in this world. I cannot believe the terrible things you all have been saying. Again, Let the courts, and Cory's attorneys do thier jobs. The Uncle has so many wild versions of what happened. Pay attention to his words. Watch the video's on the net. He has a different story everytime he is interviewed. He is interview happy. Just because Cory is the one in jail, does not mean that he will be convicted. He is a suspect. Remember. he was not the only person in the house that morning. No one has heard from him as to what happened. And his Uncle is running his mouth as fast as he can to convince all that Cory is the guilty one.
An American

Renton, WA

#23 Nov 6, 2008
Vicki from Ravensdale....Finally a voice of reason. I agree this Uncle can not be trusted at his word. He is clearly hidding something. I will with hold judgement until the facts of the case come out, based on the evidence. Not someone who clearly has a reason to lie or distort the truth. If hard drugs are involved it would explain alot, but excuse nothing.
both sides

Renton, WA

#24 Nov 6, 2008
to the voice of reason as your called..Hard drugs are not involved on anyside. a book of brain washing religion and a man scared for his life on the other hand is..Cory had alot of problems in his life especially after losing his daughter to cancer a little over 3 years ago..it got worst from there and everyone saw it who knew him.do you know ron or cory?? i do.. for a very long time at that. Ron is a sweetheart to EVERYONE you ask. Cory is a sweetheart to VERY FEW you'll ask.Corey didnt bother me so much cept for he was creepy and a complete asshole to everyone i ever encountered when he would be hangin around us. You werent there, you dont know this family. you didnt see the wreckage or the blood trails or him screamin "ya i f**kin killed them, theres 2 people burnin in that house! your to late!... or know their family problems so please dont sit there and act like you know whats going on. he screamed out his confession to about 15 cops
A Reader

Renton, WA

#25 Nov 6, 2008
This story weird and sad. Questions? Whay is a 35 yr old hang out with a 19 year old? If Cory planed to kill the kid, why in someone house? Why not go out in the woods hunting and claim it's an accedent. Why when Ron got his gun, did he not aim it at cory to stop him from hurting the kid more or until the police got there? And who else was burning in the house if there were 2 body's. The biggest question is motive, why what reason would Cory want this kid dead at his uncle house? Does any one know???
VICKI FROM RAVENSDALE

Maple Valley, WA

#26 Nov 6, 2008
Cory would not want Jeremy dead. Jeremy worked for Cory. To both sides; Who said that Cory came running out of the house yelling all of those things that you have stated? His Uncle Ronny? Again, the only person telling a story". Those words have NOT been stated by investigators. I have known Cory and his family for many years. I have never seen the so called "creepy" and "ass hole" side of him, and i do not believe there is such a side. Clearly your point of view comes from being a one sided, judgemental, hateful person.
former classmate

United States

#28 Nov 7, 2008
VICKI FROM RAVENSDALE wrote:
Cory would not want Jeremy dead. Jeremy worked for Cory. To both sides; Who said that Cory came running out of the house yelling all of those things that you have stated? His Uncle Ronny? Again, the only person telling a story". Those words have NOT been stated by investigators. I have known Cory and his family for many years. I have never seen the so called "creepy" and "ass hole" side of him, and i do not believe there is such a side. Clearly your point of view comes from being a one sided, judgemental, hateful person.
I agree with you Vicki...I went to school with Cory and saw a guy who was nice but sometimes insecure. Plus he did lose a daughter to cancer about 3 years ago and that can change a person. I am not saying that is an excuse and I have not seen him in quite sometime however, I cannot picture him as the monster he is being made out to be. But then that is just me. I will say I do not believe the Uncles story...mainly because after listening to the 911 tapes I heard Cory's voice sounding freaked out, and the Uncle was way too calm for someone who supposedly just witnessed something that graphic. I am withholding judgement till I hear Cory's side of the story and so far I have not heard it.
that is not to say I don't feel for the victims family because I do. It is a horrible way for a person to die. Thanks for clearing up why they were together hunting in the first place. I thought it was strange that a 35 year old would be hanging out with a 19 year old anyway.:)
Missy12

Pacific, WA

#29 Nov 7, 2008
A Reader wrote:
This story weird and sad. Questions? Whay is a 35 yr old hang out with a 19 year old? If Cory planed to kill the kid, why in someone house? Why not go out in the woods hunting and claim it's an accedent. Why when Ron got his gun, did he not aim it at cory to stop him from hurting the kid more or until the police got there? And who else was burning in the house if there were 2 body's. The biggest question is motive, why what reason would Cory want this kid dead at his uncle house? Does any one know???
It is so sad that Jeremy ever had the opportunity to meet this person. He had only know him a very short time and was working for him. Jeremy was the kindest young man you would ever meet. He lost his mom and dad several years ago and was always looking up to older individuals. It is unfortunate that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with what appears to be a very sick person. Several of you keep stating that Corey was this great guy and possibly the Uncle is involved... maybe so, but doesn't anyone else find it hard to believe that an innocent man shoots an fine young man; speaks to police on the phone (per the 911 tapes); disconnects the line; then breaks poor Jeremy's neck instead of rendering aid; sets the house on fire; attempts to flee the scene and is captured in the woods; then tries to escape at the hospital; and THEN his bail is increased to 1.5 million (double the original amount) because of attempt or possible attempt from the Ferry County jail. The prosecutor wouldn't be recommending such a high bail if they didn't have evidence that this "monster" was a flight risk and a danger to society. You can defend Cory all you want and he may at some point been a decent man, however the evidence is suggesting that something went terribly wrong with him. All I can think of is poor Jeremy whose life was taken so selfishly and in such a horrific manner. It completely sickens me. I hope to God that justice will prevail and that anyone involved will spend the rest of their life behind bars to think about the horror that they commited against Jeremy and the beautiful life that they took away from so many family and friends.
milk man

Renton, WA

#30 Nov 8, 2008
And we wonder how O.J. got off.........Jeremy lost both of his parents to cancer. A boy when his mother died and a young man when his father died. So please stop with the excuse this guy lost his daugther. His daugther died of 'natural' causes. Jeremy died at the hand of this monster. Please 'former classmate' and 'vicky from ravensdale' save us the tears for Cory Monaghan. His demons took from us a special young man long before his time. If Jeremy is guilty of anything it was his trust and faith and love of all of us. In fact, Jeremy's last word were the name of this devil. And please forgive us if we feel something was taken from us. You're words for Monaghan have no weigth for those of us who know we lost something. It's ironic to me, the best of us fall away, and we're left with the life's refuse. Monaghan is garbage, and if he missed his daughter so badly he could have save us so much grief and blown his head off and leave only a few to cry, and his victim to live.

I will celebrate he is behind bars and the day this animal is removed for good.
classmate of jeremy

Seattle, WA

#31 Nov 9, 2008
I was driving up to Lake Curlew with my dad and friend while on my hunting trip when I passed the house, There was a ton of police cars, border control, and a sniper looking out at the house. We went up the road to our meat processing guy to find out what was going on. before we knew it the house was up in flames (we had a clear view from where we were). Later we found a 20yr old kid had been shot and the murderer burned down the house. I hadn't given it much thought until I found out last night that the victim was Jeremy! I ate lunch with him all senior year at KL. He was such a good kid! He always dressed nicely to school and was always smiling even though he'd been through a lot. I CANNOT BELIEVE I WAS THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED!!!!I'm sorry to say but any person who could do such a thing like that to another human being IS A MONSTER!It makes me so sick to my stomach even thinking about it.
curious

Renton, WA

#32 Nov 9, 2008
any news about the arraignment?
former classmate

United States

#33 Nov 9, 2008
milk man wrote:
And we wonder how O.J. got off.........Jeremy lost both of his parents to cancer. A boy when his mother died and a young man when his father died. So please stop with the excuse this guy lost his daugther. His daugther died of 'natural' causes. Jeremy died at the hand of this monster. Please 'former classmate' and 'vicky from ravensdale' save us the tears for Cory Monaghan. His demons took from us a special young man long before his time. If Jeremy is guilty of anything it was his trust and faith and love of all of us. In fact, Jeremy's last word were the name of this devil. And please forgive us if we feel something was taken from us. You're words for Monaghan have no weigth for those of us who know we lost something. It's ironic to me, the best of us fall away, and we're left with the life's refuse. Monaghan is garbage, and if he missed his daughter so badly he could have save us so much grief and blown his head off and leave only a few to cry, and his victim to live.
I will celebrate he is behind bars and the day this animal is removed for good.
If you had read what I wrote I said that losing his daughter was NO EXCUSE and that I felt for the family of the victim as well as the family of suspect. His daughter did not die of "natural causes" she died of cancer...a very rare and very horrible cancer that robbed her of a decent life, and he had to watch her suffer knowing he had no way to stop it. YES that CAN change a person. NO I am not defending him. I did say that I USED to know him and now I do not anymore. I also said that I was reserving judgement until we hear both sides of the story. Neither one of us is discounting the poor victims life. I cannot speak for anyone else but I will say that I personally feel for the victims family and for Jeremy. No one should have to die like that.
pallet fire

Kent, WA

#34 Nov 9, 2008
ever wonder why the so-called uncle wasnt drug tested, and in his 911 call the dispatcher asked him over and over who shot who and who did the shooting and he never once mentioned a name.
Incredible

Maple Valley, WA

#35 Nov 10, 2008
I didn't know Jeremy. And I understand the emotions running high. And I can understand voicing your anger. But to literaly threaten another human being without knowing all the facts not only puts you on the same level as the murderer, but even below him. Acording to our court system, your innocent until proven guilty. I'm just glad this will be tried in Ferry County and not by a bunch of low life red necks from the Ravensdale area. Most of you have shown your ignorance by not even being able to spell, let alone be trusted with our judicial system. You say your sorry for his family and children. Did you ever think they may be reading these posts? Did you ever think they may be thinking yuor reprisals may be directed at them. Apperantly NOT!!!
Incredible

Maple Valley, WA

#36 Nov 10, 2008
pallet fire wrote:
ever wonder why the so-called uncle wasnt drug tested, and in his 911 call the dispatcher asked him over and over who shot who and who did the shooting and he never once mentioned a name.
For one, it is his uncle, and two, he was in fear for his life. Your just anther red neck idiot
waiting for the facts

Kenmore, WA

#37 Nov 10, 2008
If your going to comment on people's spelling maybe you should read over what you write.
milkman

United States

#38 Nov 10, 2008
pallet fire, the uncle just watched a brutal murder take place (I'll use the word alledgedly for those who prescribe to 'innocent until proven guilty') do you think he might be just a little shook up and perhaps a tad in shock?

You think?

Did you expect a relaxed detailed account?

You think it was just another day in the life of a guy who lives in the outback.
former classmate

United States

#39 Nov 10, 2008
true he just witnessed a murder so why did he sound so calm and relaxed on the 911 call? All anyone who is showing the other side is saying is we dont' know both sides of the story. and frankly listening to the media is sketchy at best.
milkman

Renton, WA

#42 Nov 10, 2008
former classmate, are you aware your classmate was injured during this incident? He wasn't shot. He cut his wrists, and he had tried to severe his leg artery. Self inflicted. It's why he went directly to the hospital.

The COWARD couldn't bring himself to use his gun and blow his stinking head off. He tried to kill himself. Guilt? I would say so. Sick? Yes, definitely.

Would you stop trying to paint the uncle a party to this. Your classmates existence has now been reduced to ruining so many other lives.

I can only hope one of the Ferry County jailers leaves a knife or enough string in Monaghan's cell before this is all over.

Out....
some girl

Bonney Lake, WA

#43 Nov 11, 2008
While I didn't know Cory personally...I Do know his girlfriend and children, know his tradgey of loosing their child, and work closely with people who have been best friends with him and Lisa for years...and coincedently my family owns the property in Malo that the Medi-Vac hellicopter landed on. Small world huh? I beleive that the truth will come out and justice will prevail. Cory had been on that hunting trip for over a week...why wait till the day AFTER they were supposed to be home to do this horriffic tragedy? Things just don't add up. The uncle says that Cory wasn't supposed to know where he lived...anyone fron the Republic/Curlew/Malo/Danville area knows that places (especially uncles down a road off the beaten path) aren't easily found unless you know where your going. I do feel deeply for Jeremy's family and friends, something like this should NEVER happen to someone..much less a youngster. But I also feel deeply for Lisa and their children. Justice will prevail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mercer Island Music Emporium (Oct '12) May 31 Musikologist 17
1 Seattle Player That Will Be A Game Changer No... May 29 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
Kira May '17 Amanda 1
Seahawks Michael Bennett Goes Off on Stephen A ... May '17 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
What does Malik McDowell brings to the Seahawks... May '17 SEATTLESPORTSCAST... 1
Eugene Robb May '17 hiding in plain view 1
looking for gay sex (Dec '12) Apr '17 Sam 50

Renton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Renton Mortgages