Indiana mom, son killed in I-65 wreck

Indiana mom, son killed in I-65 wreck

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 29, 2008, titled Indiana mom, son killed in I-65 wreck. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A woman and her 4-year-old son died Tuesday of injuries they suffered when their car was struck in the rear by a semi-tractor trailer truck on Interstate Highway 65 in northwest Indiana, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nick

Macomb, IL

#1 Jul 29, 2008
oh this is obscene. I am SO SICK of truckers not paying attention and murdering everyone in their path.

At this point because of all the fatalities they cause, they are virtually uninsurable. They don't care about ANYONE else out on the road.

It's very sickening.

he needs to be charged with reckless homicide and all his assets turned over to the family of the victims.
No Land For-Chicago

Hickory Hills, IL

#2 Jul 29, 2008
It used to be, in days of yore, that truck drivers were courteous and helpful. Not now. I'm wondering if the level of expertise in driving semis has been downgraded or the caliber of individual driving, is not what it should be. Lives are being lost.
LAKEVIEW

United States

#3 Jul 29, 2008
I do not understand why these truck drivers drive so fast. They know they have to downshift to stop so its not easy to stop on a dime. I wish they were more considerate for other cars on the road. I am terrified of trucks after my jeep was totatled by one because they could not slow down, so I no longer drive on the express way I freak out even if I am a passenger in a car and a truck drives up real fast on us. I wish they could invent a device to put on the trucks once they reach the max speed they are allowed to go and it slows their asses down when they go over that limit...this would prevent a lot of deaths that they cause on our roads. Hey truckers you are not the only ones on the road SLOW DOWN!!!!
What-U-Say

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 29, 2008
How could he not know that there were construction on I-65, I am pretty sure they had all kinds of signs warning about construction ahead, if they didnt they should sue the construction workers also.
I am sick and tired or these no brain truck drivers killing people while they are slowed down at a toll booth, construction zone, lane merging, and any other form of slow moving traffic. I don't need to know that he lives in Oak Forest, what I do need to know is this m oron is in jail.
My sympathy for the family for this senseless loss.
Meano Cougar

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 29, 2008
One thing I have notice in constuction zones whether its on Interstates or regular routes it seems these people who are running this road work are creating dangerous set-ups even though we know we should cut our speed and be cautious but I;m seeing some dangerous set-ups by these constuction outfits.
no one

New Lenox, IL

#6 Jul 29, 2008
Everyone is in such a damn hurry in this world to get where? So I am sure this truck driver didn't wake up in the morning with the intent to kill this woman and leave a young child motherless, but it is so sad because it was absolutely senseless. I am sure everyone wishes they could start over again, sometimes there are no do overs, so people slow down, this is not a dress rehearsal!!!!! My thoughts and prayers to this young woman's family and her son.
Bush Sucks

United States

#7 Jul 29, 2008
First and formost...Prayers to the surviving family members. Now the heavy stuff. Being a retired trucker with a record of twenty years with out so much as a speeding ticket. Slow down and get the f uck off the phone!!!!!!!! It sickens me to see all the drivers out there today speeding and talking on ther cell phones. You know the drill boys and girls. Both hands on the wheel, checking your gauges, in your mirrors, and always leaving an out when the situation arises. You can't do any of these with that stupid piece of plastic stuck to your ear. And if you cant seem to part with the phone, at least go hands free. by a blue tooth and pay attention!!!!!!!!!!
anarky99

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 29, 2008
hopefully charges will be filed. There is no excuse for a semi truck driver not to see slowing and stopped traffic on the interstate. Inexcusable.
Britni

Buffalo Grove, IL

#10 Jul 30, 2008
Drug test him!
Scanian

El Paso, TX

#11 Jul 30, 2008
In just the past week, Newsweek had three articles about unsafe truck drivers.

Deadly Tolls: Sick truckers causing fatal wrecks
House committee probes medically unfit truckers
GAO: Truck drivers taking illegal drugs get hired

For some reason, Newsweek used the same URL for all three; they updated over the previous article instead of archiving the older ones. Dumb. I googled and found them at another site.

Deadly tolls is at:
http://www.examiner.com/a-1502769~Deadly_Toll...

House probe is at:
http://www.examiner.com/a-1502869~House_commi...

The GOA article is at: http://www.newsweek.com/id/147945/page/2

To me, this shed some light on why semi accidents are increasing.
osama obama

Naperville, IL

#12 Jul 30, 2008
anarky99 wrote:
hopefully charges will be filed. There is no excuse for a semi truck driver not to see slowing and stopped traffic on the interstate. Inexcusable.
agree! the truck drivers line of sight is much greater than the car.until a the trucking industy and its drivers face long prison times and millions in damages this will continue to repeat.THESE ARE NOT ACCIDENTS.by the way,to all you truckers,TRUCKS USE TWO RIGHT LANES.NO YOUR OTHER RIGHT.
DLCL

Montgomery, IL

#13 Jul 30, 2008
yep you are all correct! today it is called testing and talking on the phone while behind the wheel of any vehicle. They need to ban ALL TESTING AND PHONE TALKING WHILE DRIVING!
DLCL

Montgomery, IL

#14 Jul 30, 2008
oops! texting, not testing.
Art

Geneva, IL

#15 Jul 30, 2008
This is what comes of Bush letting in the Mexican trucks and drivers into the US.
What-U-Say

Chicago, IL

#16 Jul 30, 2008
Art wrote:
This is what comes of Bush letting in the Mexican trucks and drivers into the US.
Amen, and for all of the blow-hearts that dont want them to go back, they need their illegal votes.
senior driver

United States

#17 Aug 3, 2008
LAKEVIEW wrote:
I do not understand why these truck drivers drive so fast. They know they have to downshift to stop so its not easy to stop on a dime. I wish they were more considerate for other cars on the road. I am terrified of trucks after my jeep was totatled by one because they could not slow down, so I no longer drive on the express way I freak out even if I am a passenger in a car and a truck drives up real fast on us. I wish they could invent a device to put on the trucks once they reach the max speed they are allowed to go and it slows their **** down when they go over that limit...this would prevent a lot of deaths that they cause on our roads. Hey truckers you are not the only ones on the road SLOW DOWN!!!!
I really feel the need to reply to these comments. The truth of the matter is that 85 percent of the trucks on the road today are governed to only go 62, 65, or 70 mph. To say that all truckers drive to fast is incorrect. How often do you see a truck cut off a car to turn in front of them. How often do you see a truck passing on two lane road only to turn left in front of you, causing everyone to stop. You only hear the negative about trucks, but do you know how many thousands of drivers out there that have one, two or three million miles without an accident. How many drivers of cars can say that? You also do not know if something happen to this driver, or his equipment that caused him not to be able to stop. Do you know any of this information? I do not think so. Do not be so quick to judge what you do not know. While you may have had a bad experience with a truck, how many have you had with cars? Do not comdemn the occupation of the victims family, before you know the facts..........
Art

Geneva, IL

#19 Aug 11, 2008
LAKEVIEW wrote:
<quoted text>
THE FACT IS MY TRUCK WAS DESTROYED BY A TRUCK DRIVER GOING TO FAST AND DID NOT SLOW DOWN AS WELL....SO DONT TELL ME WHAT I DONT KNOW....I EXPERIENCED IT **** HOLE SO YEAH I HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY WHAT I WANT ABOUT TRUCKERS....THEIR **** NEED TO SLOW DOWN PERIOD I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY FACT IS THE DRIVER WAS GOING TOO FAST AND KILLED THE VICTIM IN THE CAR PERIOD. YOU SOUND LIKE A TRUCKER THAT IS WHY YOU ARE SO DEFENSIVE...I HOPE NOT WITH A NAME LIKE SENIOR DRIVER OTHER WISE MORE PEOPLE WILL SOON DIE CAUSE I AM SURE YOUR **** WILL EVENTUALLY BE IN A RUSH AND NOT SLOW DOWN EITHER....**** OFF AND DONT COMMENT BACK I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT....
Thank your buddy Bush for the Mexican trucks and drivers. http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/05/b...
Aunt Nancy

Woodstock, IL

#20 Aug 14, 2008
I am the victims' Aunt. The family does not condemn the trucking industry as a whole, though I agree that there are probably truck drivers out there who should never have been given a license. We are still waiting for results of the police investigation. Becky leaves behind her husband and two little boys, ages 5 and 9. This has been a huge loss to this family. Anyone wishing to contribute to expenses for the funerals or other needs of the family can send contributions to:
Fourness Family Memorial Trust Fund
c/o Forest Park National Bank
7348 W. Madison St.
Forest Park, IL 60130
Attn: Retail Banking
Thank you.....Becky's Aunt Nancy
retired rescuer

Gray, GA

#21 Sep 27, 2008
LAKEVIEW wrote:
I do not understand why these truck drivers drive so fast. They know they have to downshift to stop so its not easy to stop on a dime. I wish they were more considerate for other cars on the road. I am terrified of trucks after my jeep was totatled by one because they could not slow down, so I no longer drive on the express way I freak out even if I am a passenger in a car and a truck drives up real fast on us. I wish they could invent a device to put on the trucks once they reach the max speed they are allowed to go and it slows their asses down when they go over that limit...this would prevent a lot of deaths that they cause on our roads. Hey truckers you are not the only ones on the road SLOW DOWN!!!!
I usually do not respond nor reply to ignorance, however after reading this comment i had to. After being in emergency services for 18 + years , I have seen alot on american highways. I am currently self employed as a TRUCK DRIVER and was in Indiana this past week when the fedex truck was involved in a fatal accident on I-65. In my years as a rescuer I learned that in fatal accidents involving semi-trucks The driver was at fault about 15% of the time. The problem on the road today is younger drivers not paying enough attention to act in an emergency situation. On my trip home to South Ga. on that same stretch of interstate my cruise was set at 62 mph. There was a young lady in a small suv that past me SIX different times. Her problem was that when her phone was raised to her ear ,her foot also came up off of the gas pedal, when she wasnt on the phone she was driving like a bat out of [email protected]##. I agree that there are some truck drivers that do not need a CDL, but for the majority we are careful and skillful drivers. I have had a CDL for over 20 years and never a moving violation while in a truck, and yes i get frustrated some while on the road when you have idiots ,usually in small sports cars, that just have to cut in front of big trucks and slam their brakes. You are correct that trucks cant stop on a dime, but neither can you. Read the drivers manual you were given to get your DL. It will tell you the distances to keep. In my years as a FIREFIGHTER/EMT i had to attend a class called EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course) at the GPCTC center in Forsyth Ga. This is Where all of the Georgia State Patrol and of the states local law enforcement train. This course is one of the toughest in the US. Google it. Part of the course is a skip pad which is teflon coated. You You go into it at only 35 mph and the instuctor locks the brakes and you have counter steer to aviod a spinout. I think everone getting a Dl for the first should have to pass this class.One thing I will always remember is always know a way out of a certain cituation.
questionpleasere ad

Crown Point, IN

#22 Oct 5, 2008
wonderful. another thing that could have been prevented is bush would make it all safer. all he cares about is iraq. gosh, as long as he is well and his family is all fine he just doesnt care that we are losing our loved ones. how pathetic. obama 08, we need a change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rensselaer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug Problem in Rensselaer (Sep '10) Apr '17 Anonymous 4
investigate the murder of walker f.gilmore now! Apr '17 The Watchman 1
Who do you support for State House in Indiana (... (Oct '10) Mar '17 anyname 7
News Delphi land owner has April 3 court date (Mar '17) Mar '17 Could not resist 4
News Three arrested on armed robbery charges (Mar '08) Nov '16 Shhh 19
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Aug '15 CorruptionKiller 35
female with initals C.B. gave birth to twins (Oct '14) Oct '14 needing informati... 1

Rensselaer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rensselaer Mortgages