hows reno,nv?

Since: Sep 11

United States

#1 Apr 23, 2012
Im thinking bout moving to reno. Not real sure, but since its close to cali im thinking more about it. Whats the culture like? Are there a bunch of mormons or some religious group controlling things? What bout the drug use? Up down? Whats the percentage of races living there?
Nevada Resident

United States

#3 Apr 28, 2012
vrm vrm wrote:
Im thinking bout moving to reno. Not real sure, but since its close to cali im thinking more about it. Whats the culture like? Are there a bunch of mormons or some religious group controlling things? What bout the drug use? Up down? Whats the percentage of races living there?
I have lived in Nevada most of my life. Mostly Vegas, college years in Reno, then Carson City and some rural podunk areas. Its very diverse. highly institutional, police/prison state in Carson City. History and drunken rebellion in Vrginia City. Gangs and College life in Reno, but still a lot of culture. Gaming has been depressed, not a lot of disposable income. High unemployment. We have Uber stank rich people living in Tahoe that don't want any growth. Californians are fornicators that are going to "take up all the remianing resources".. The usual Mo jo jo and Powerpuff girls, agnostics, witches, pagans, prostitutes.. Mormons aren't in control.. Freedom still breaks out here and there.

Since: Sep 11

United States

#4 May 1, 2012
Does reno have their own national guard in the city?
oreos

Lima, OH

#5 May 9, 2012
I have close friends who moved there 10 years ago. They hate it. Gang shootings, crime, unemployment, foreclosure on homes right and left. Sounds like a depressing place to me. They're stuck because they couldn't sell their house. My advice, if you decide to give it a try, rent-- don't buy, so you can readily exit should you decide to.
only1choice

United States

#6 May 11, 2012
How is the Reno area for relocating to retire?
uio

United States

#7 May 15, 2012
Reno has an Air Nat'l Guard unit and several Army Nat'l Guard units. Carson has Army NG units and the state HQ. Fallon has an active Navy base.

Reno and all of Washoe county is NOT good to retire to unless you are rich. Property taxes are way too high and consumables cost too much. Surrounding suburbs in other counties are better, rent lower, taxes lower, gas prices lower.

One thing Nevadans do not put up with, some ex-Californian that starts a sentence with "well I remember how we did it in California..." We don't give a damn how it was done in California! We would rather do it correctly (or not at all) than do it like California did.
NCD

Reno, NV

#8 May 15, 2012
I live out in Stead/Lemmon Valley, about 10 miles NW of downtown. Not too bad out here, the main problem is the idiot drivers. If you own a bike don't plan on using the bike lanes, dang near everyone has their right side tires smack in the middle of the bike lanes. I've even seen more than one car do a curb check, crazily enough. Probably chatting away on the 'ol cell phone even though it was illegalized at the beginning of this year. Anyway, if you can handle the drivers, this area's alright.
Harrison Freebird

New Bern, NC

#9 Aug 2, 2012
only1choice wrote:
How is the Reno area for relocating to retire?
Tried to make it work for about 4 years, moved there 2008 retired 2010 and called it quits and moved far away 3 months ago. Reno is simply a bad place to live IMO.
Researched many places to relocate starting about a year ago, 100% satisfied with the transition and relocation to New Bern NC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reno Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Murder victim's body found (Feb '07) 4 hr JustinTeno 57
African American Concert plans to destroy Reno (Jul '14) 21 hr Jenny 14
News Plan to dig up, move historic Nevada graves ang... Thu The Mad Man 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing Reno Sep 21 Tresha P 5
Vote for Hillary Sep 17 Local 8
Who makes best spaghetti? Sep 17 suzie 7
UNLV Rebels praised Amy Schumer's criticism abo... Sep 15 Local 4

Reno Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance