Remsen teens charged in fire that des...

Remsen teens charged in fire that destroyed mill

There are 113 comments on the Observer-Dispatch story from May 26, 2007, titled Remsen teens charged in fire that destroyed mill. In it, Observer-Dispatch reports that:

REMSEN - Three Remsen teenagers have been charged in connection with a May 17 fire that consumed an old mill on Cincinnati Creek, according to the Oneida County Sheriff's Office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer-Dispatch.

Kim

Port Washington, NY

#22 Dec 10, 2008
I find some of the comments to this property owner very disturbing. If teenagers burnt down his place then the teens should be held responsible. It is my understanding that the teens are being charged and prosecuted. Yes, insurance would have been a good idea but if he did not have any he didn't have any. It is not law that you carry property insurance. In any event he would not have needed the insurance if the teenagers didn't burn it down. I'm not exactly sure how this happened. They say arson. That means the fire was deliberately set. Think about this people. You have teenagers running around in upstate NY thinking it is ok to burn someone's place down. Where are the parents? I own property upstate but am not able to live there full time. Does that mean it was o.k for the local boys to steal all the firewood that my son spent days cutting up for the winter? No it doesn't! I feel sorry for the property owner. However, he should have been inspecting his property on a regular basis and if teens were utilizing it for partying or whatever, he should had taken steps to stop it.(i.e. notify the police, etc.) This is a very unfortunate situation but if you own property you have to take care of it, which includes inspecting it on a regular basis and taking steps to secure it and its safety. What gets me is that if one of these kids got hurt at the property they probably would have sued for personal injury and the property owner would have had to pay out of pocket since he didn't have insurance. Not having insurance is not a good idea. I hope everyone has learned that from this very unfortunate situation.
snoop

Caroga Lake, NY

#23 Jan 13, 2009
Miles wrote:
I keep looking here and at the Utica paper, among other places and can find no more information about this arson, what happened in Oneida County Court June 25, or anything else. Again, except for one email, the D.A.
s office and the Town of Remsen completely ignore the victim, verging on just plain rude. I did discover in the Rome paper archives a possible relative (from Remsen) of one of the juveniles who set fire to the place (see Remsen News #6 and #8 upper right of this page) had a car accident/injury from "unsafe speed" and was also involved as a passenger in another accident where the driver was charged with DWI, among other things. Another man with the same name was stopped for speeding in 2006. Sounds as if this family is beset with enough problems of their own without foisting them on innocent people. This large 2-1/2 story building was filled with thousands of dollars worth of antique furniture, now a pile of ashes in the cellar hole. If anyone can find anything on this crime, I'd appreciate knowing. The names are Michael J. Delany II and Jacob J. Pavelich, both 16, both from Remsen. The third is a minor so is unpublished. I still need to find out who the parents are.
try checking onedia cny warrants
remsen resident

United States

#24 Jan 14, 2009
any one who saw this building before knows the truth. they call it a historic mill. BS. it was old and rundown not historic. it had been last used as a repair garage not a mill. the only thing left from the mill was a hole in the basement wall where the water wheel shaft came through. if you say its historic why don't i ever see it mentioned among real historic buildings in remsen like the stone church, or the library, or the old milk plant. if you ask me the owner should have been made to tear it down years ago.
mean people in Remsen

Rome, NY

#25 Jan 20, 2009
remsen resident wrote:
any one who saw this building before knows the truth. they call it a historic mill. BS. it was old and rundown not historic. it had been last used as a repair garage not a mill. the only thing left from the mill was a hole in the basement wall where the water wheel shaft came through. if you say its historic why don't i ever see it mentioned among real historic buildings in remsen like the stone church, or the library, or the old milk plant. if you ask me the owner should have been made to tear it down years ago.
You people are ruthless to this property owner. Those teenagers were wrong and should pay for what they did to this mans property regardless of the owners lack of insurance.
Jim from Maine

Westford, MA

#26 Feb 3, 2009
I STILL can't believe that people seem to think that the way the building looked, some how makes it ok for some one to burn it down??? AND somehow because the owner is a non resident, that makes a difference too??? GLAD I DON'T LIVE IN A TOWN LIKE THAT!!! I was taught that if it isn't yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!(let alone damage it) The bottom line is: the kids and parents should be responsible, that simple!!! Glad to be a NON resident!!!
YOU ARE RIGHT

Rome, NY

#27 Feb 3, 2009
Jim from Maine wrote:
I STILL can't believe that people seem to think that the way the building looked, some how makes it ok for some one to burn it down??? AND somehow because the owner is a non resident, that makes a difference too??? GLAD I DON'T LIVE IN A TOWN LIKE THAT!!! I was taught that if it isn't yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!(let alone damage it) The bottom line is: the kids and parents should be responsible, that simple!!! Glad to be a NON resident!!!
I know what you are saying. These young boys should take responsibility for their actions regardless of what the building looked like, or if the owner lived in town or not. It is a shame that the parents and others in town seem to think somehow, that the owner is partly responsible for the fire. Small minds for a small town. glad Imoved away years ago.
what next

Syracuse, NY

#28 Feb 14, 2009
I tell you, if this village pays out of pocket to clean up that site or fence it, I will not be a happy resident of this village. Will be time for an injunction from the court to stop it. Go after the parents, who financially DO have the means to pay for the clean up..Put liens on their property/ business or whatever it takes but the village better stay away from doing anything so that they don't assume liability for that mess that is left there now. Cus if that happens, hope I don't fall there the next time I walk by with my dog.
there after the fact

Syracuse, NY

#29 Mar 1, 2009
To the alleged owner: You were notified several times by Village officials that you needed to secure the property better. In your arrogance, you refused. The place was wide open, including broken windows. Your antiques couldn't have had much value to you. Now it needs to be cleaned up by you! To others: Most of you are right; "If you don't own it, don't touch it". However, since NY state is guided by laws enacted by a useless, misguided Liberal State Legislature, the Mill was regarded as an "attractive nuisance to minors" under the law; therefore, the onus is on the owner to prevent such happenings. I doubt that the owner will get any recompense, because just as he/she was absent, so are the kids' guiding lights (ha).
britt fitz

United States

#30 Mar 9, 2009
Okay wow Jake, Mike, AND CHRISTINA did it on accident. Thanks don't talk shit. Live your life and mind ya own businessss.
i nose u

Syracuse, NY

#31 Mar 22, 2009
britt fitz wrote:
Okay wow Jake, Mike, AND CHRISTINA did it on accident. Thanks don't talk shit. Live your life and mind ya own businessss.
and why would u use yur nick-name? duh, like we don't know who posted this..
Facts

Oneonta, NY

#32 May 15, 2009
britt fitz wrote:
Okay wow Jake, Mike, AND CHRISTINA did it on accident. Thanks don't talk shit. Live your life and mind ya own businessss.


This was no accident, dirtymouth. No surprise that they're not only arsonists, they're liars, and to their so-called friends as well. One testified in court that with a cigarette lighter, they set fire to a rope in the cellar from which a dead cat was hanging (their picture) because they were BORED.
what next

Mountain View, CA

#33 May 17, 2009
I see someone put a snow fence around the site..who erected it??
Handsome B Wonderful

United States

#34 May 20, 2009
Yeah, great job putting up the fence. Ever heard of a hammer?
Cassie

AOL

#35 Oct 10, 2009
Miles wrote:
I'm the non-resident owner of the Old Mill in Remsen that these teenagers burned to the ground. After I was notified the building had burned, and arrests were made, information has been about nil and I've had to dig for it with almost no answers to my many questions. Neither the town nor the fire department notified me. I've written several emails to various Oneida County Offices including the D.A.'s office with only one response that wasn't much help, and another that said my email would be forwarded. I found out the initial court date the day after it was held. I find nothing about the June 25 Oneida court proceedings, nor any follow-up in this paper or anywhere else. It seems as if the victim is forgotten by all. There should be a protocol in place, perhaps in the Sheriff's Office or the town where the incident occurred so a victim knows how to proceed. It is now over a month since this uninsured building burned down May 17 and I've spent hours trying to find out more. Searches here turn up nothing since the week of this devastating incident. It's a poor situation.
Well This place is an eyesore and dangerous it needs to be claened up, guess there should have been some insurance on the place
Remsen2

Fort Plain, NY

#36 Oct 17, 2009
I a m not saying I don't blame the kids that did this but the owner is the one who is responsible fro cleaning it up. First of all the building should have been torn down long before it burned down because it was never taken care of properly. People offered to buy the building and the women would not sell it even though she did not take care of it. Now it needs to be taken care of it is dangerous and an eyesore.
bunny

AOL

#37 Nov 13, 2009
I'm taking bets, how long do you think this mess will sit there for? 20 years?
bunny

AOL

#38 Nov 13, 2009
P.S. aren't there any codes in this village. In Utica not to long ago the city was going to sue a man that didn't clean up his burnt down vacant building whats the deal? They are trying to sell a fallling down building on Maple Ave. for back taxes its in between two other dumps 8,000 dollars who would buy it it's beyond repair. People that own these places should be fined. No wonder no one would want to buy a house in this village look at the place. It really is to bad.
i live in remsen

Holland Patent, NY

#40 Nov 14, 2009
Merna wrote:
<quoted text> Just say it, Beth Pellegrino, my daughter was one of the kids she stole from and the parents had to pay out $100.00 per kid so they could still go on their NYC Trip. She's a loser.
what was the teacher name...
what a dump

United States

#41 Nov 15, 2009
I grew up in remsen, this village has gone so far down the tubes in the past 10 years. It used to be a great place for familys to raise kids, now it is a slum. Houses that are condemable all over, vandalism. Half of the town is retired the other half is on disability and selling there vocodin to losers like that morrison kid who stole cans from the store and brought them back for money. This place is a joke, sure the store is nice but thats about it.
nodump

Syracuse, NY

#42 Nov 17, 2009
me not on disability and if you know who is selling the vicodin, what haven't you called the cops on them? set em up for a sale or let me guess, they're your family member??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Remsen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parker Doesn't Love Forestport 7 hr Love my town 9
How old is Bill H 7 hr Love my town 15
holland patent ayso soccer (Jan '12) Thu Hpf20156 49
carrie clover Sep 1 happy times 4
Cntrex Labs Aug 31 Robert 1
Forestport Loves Parker Aug 31 Laker 14
just good old sex Aug 31 ready for some 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Remsen Mortgages