Remington Officer Russ Woodward shoot...

Remington Officer Russ Woodward shoots and kills neighbors family dog

Posted in the Remington Forum

J_Gross

Baltimore, MD

#1 Jan 8, 2010
Today Remington Officer Russ Woodward shot and killed his neighbors family dog Henry.
Henry had escaped his backyard and wandered next door to Woodward's property. Woodward knew the yellow lab was Alice Geer's dog. Instead of calling her to let her know Henry was out, he shot and killed the dog.
How can this happen? Couldn't he have just picked up the phone and call Alice Geer. Couldn't he have called animal control? A normal person would have chosen either one of those options....not shot and kill Henry.
I'm sure the Geer's would have rather paid a $$$$ in fines for their dog being out of their yard than to have Henry shot and killed. After all isn't that why there is animal control system. Sheesh
John

Goldvein, VA

#2 Jan 8, 2010
Officer Woodward deserves to go to jail. And shame on Remington Police Department for trying to protect him. http://www.facebook.com/RemingtonPolice...
R Mull

Washington, DC

#3 Jan 8, 2010
So the only way to stop a labrador retriever from harrassing chickens is to blast it with a shotgun? Does anyone else think this guy Woodward needs a psych evaluation to see if he is mentally stable enough to be a cop and carry weapons? I agree with you J Gross, there are a lot of better, saner options he could have chosen before concluding shotgun. Did he try anything else? Shoo the dog with a broom? Water? Hey even fire the gun in the air? If the dog was such an imminent threat to the chickens was he at all concerned that his shotgun blast might kill one of his chickens? Something else is going on here. The guy is either unstable or a vindictive SOB.
D Phillips

Arlington, VA

#4 Jan 9, 2010
This is tragic. I've read numerous comments on the Remington Facebook site about how outraged the community is. So what has become of the officer? Have any charges been filed? Has he been suspended? Does the Remington Police Department support this officers behavior?
John Monroe

Bristow, VA

#5 Jan 9, 2010
This guy is a part-time officer with Remington Police Dept. He is a FULL-TIME DEPUTY SHERIFF with Culpeper County. Any complaints should goto the Culpeper Sheriff's Office.
John

Louisa, VA

#6 Jan 9, 2010
John, you seem to be more offended that people are expressing their outrage at Remington than the fact that what Officer Dog Killer did was morally, ethically,(and possibly) legally wrong.

Granted, an organization can't always know what their employees do in their off time. However, if an organization (either part time or full time) supports or allows this behavior (on or off duty), the organization needs to stand up for what they think is right and let the public know.
From looking at the web pages, Remington Police Department seems like a reputable department that serves and protects. As long as they keep somebody like this employed (full or part time), he is tarnishing Remington's credibility as a legitimate law enforcement authority.
Steven

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jan 10, 2010
Obviously the officer has a hard time distinguishing between right and wrong. I'm sure when he shoots someone one day for a stupid reason the outcome will be different. He should go to jail for such a stupid cowardly act. He's a scum bag for taking this to this level. He has no morals and should not have a badge. I'm sure could have just called the neighbor or yelled at the dog. I would call this OVERKILL!!
d4l15g70

Little Valley, NY

#8 Jan 11, 2010
Perhaps everyone would be wise to hear the whole story before they go jumping to conclusions about the deputy. I am a neighbor of both families involved, and while I am very sorry for the loss of the Geer's dog, Henry, I am equally sorry for the loss of the deputies six chickens that he and his family hatched, raised, and named. Try telling his kids, especially the youngest child, that I believe is about 7 or 8 years old, that the value of her pets lives aren't equal to that of the neighbor's dogs life!!! Also, the media only shared one side of the story and didn't have all of the facts. I have heard both sides! The dogs owners should be ashamed of themselves and blame themselves! It was their responsibility to "Henry" to keep him in his yard and safe from roaming with the chance of getting lost, hit by a car, or attacked by other dogs trying to protect their own property. I feel the deputy is the victim here. He had provided a safe environment for his "pets" and was only protecting them! It's not true that the dog just wandered across over onto his property, but was actually going after the chickens AGAIN! As far as one of the other comments I read, stating that it seemed impossible for the dog to be able to dig into the chickens fenced in area because of the ground being frozen...that doesn't matter! The chickens could be roaming their yard (ever heard of free range!?) but the key word is THEIR yard! Not someone elses. If an animal came into your yard after you had made several attempts to take the animal to their owner and ask that they keep their animal contained to keep it from attacking your animals, what would you do? What if you saw an animal attacking and mauling your cat, dog, goat, calf, horse, whatever!? Hear both sides of a case before you rule innocent or guilty! Don't be so quick to judge!
J_Gross wrote:
Today Remington Officer Russ Woodward shot and killed his neighbors family dog Henry.
Henry had escaped his backyard and wandered next door to Woodward's property. Woodward knew the yellow lab was Alice Geer's dog. Instead of calling her to let her know Henry was out, he shot and killed the dog.
How can this happen? Couldn't he have just picked up the phone and call Alice Geer. Couldn't he have called animal control? A normal person would have chosen either one of those options....not shot and kill Henry.
I'm sure the Geer's would have rather paid a $$$$ in fines for their dog being out of their yard than to have Henry shot and killed. After all isn't that why there is animal control system. Sheesh
Vince

Bethesda, MD

#9 Jan 12, 2010
Nice try!

Lets see, law enforcement officials are supposed to use good judgement. This wasnt even a life threatening situation, plenty of time to make a sound judgement. We not talking about a pack of pitbulls here...were talking about a LAB!

1. Choice number one...grab the pooch and take him back to the neighbors..something nice and neighborly.

2. Choice number 2...blast him with a shotgun.

He probably wasted more time going to get the shotgun AFTER he spotted the dog.
d4l15g70 wrote:
Perhaps everyone would be wise to hear the whole story before they go jumping to conclusions about the deputy. I am a neighbor of both families involved, and while I am very sorry for the loss of the Geer's dog, Henry, I am equally sorry for the loss of the deputies six chickens that he and his family hatched, raised, and named. Try telling his kids, especially the youngest child, that I believe is about 7 or 8 years old, that the value of her pets lives aren't equal to that of the neighbor's dogs life!!! Also, the media only shared one side of the story and didn't have all of the facts. I have heard both sides! The dogs owners should be ashamed of themselves and blame themselves! It was their responsibility to "Henry" to keep him in his yard and safe from roaming with the chance of getting lost, hit by a car, or attacked by other dogs trying to protect their own property. I feel the deputy is the victim here. He had provided a safe environment for his "pets" and was only protecting them! It's not true that the dog just wandered across over onto his property, but was actually going after the chickens AGAIN! As far as one of the other comments I read, stating that it seemed impossible for the dog to be able to dig into the chickens fenced in area because of the ground being frozen...that doesn't matter! The chickens could be roaming their yard (ever heard of free range!?) but the key word is THEIR yard! Not someone elses. If an animal came into your yard after you had made several attempts to take the animal to their owner and ask that they keep their animal contained to keep it from attacking your animals, what would you do? What if you saw an animal attacking and mauling your cat, dog, goat, calf, horse, whatever!? Hear both sides of a case before you rule innocent or guilty! Don't be so quick to judge! <quoted text>
a geer

United States

#10 Jan 12, 2010
I just reread the newspaper article--it said he used a COUNTY weapon. Even if it had not been my dog that was slaughtered, I would think that an off-duty officer would have his county weapons secured. I admit I don't know, but is there a policy about allowing them to use their weapons for personal use?
phibetakappachic k

Stockton, NJ

#11 Jan 14, 2010
anybody care about misappropriation of gov't property or maybe lying on a timesheet? how honest is this guy?
http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/local/a...
a anon

Pleasanton, CA

#12 Jan 21, 2010
You guys have never dealt with dogs when they attack livestock. It is VERY different - don't think even Cesar has a "shh" command for that. They get extremely aggresive - no matter what their prior behavior. Devil's advocate here - what kind of irresponsible dog owner doesn't have proper fencing to keep their animal contained? Sure he shot the dog, maybe it was with "County Property" - was anybody there?
J_Gross

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jan 22, 2010
@a anon, this isn't about the Geer's not being in control of thier dog. They clearly take responsibility for that. What people are outraged about is that Woodward was a cop. For what its worth, he should have used better judgement than your typical neighbor dude with a gun. He has been trained to deal with domestic disputes. He has been trained in animal control, He has been trained in negotiations, he has been trained to use good judgement in difficult situations. I bet his training didn't include shoot first ask questions later.
This was hardly a farm. This was an acreage where he had some hobby chickens so lets stop pretending that his "livestock" was threatened. Yes, everyone has seen the written laws. And it now appears that Woodward didn't follow the law either when it comes to shooting Henry. Per the anaimal control officer and the public....there is no evidence that Henry was in the chicken coop anyway. So Woodward, instead of being a good neighbor, instead of being a good cop...he got his deputy issued shot gun and flat out fired it into Henry. That is the problem. He used poor judgement in this situation.
Lee Lawrence AHT LVT

United States

#14 Jan 24, 2010
I am in a similar situation as the officer in question. I have a flock of free-range chickens on 8 acres. Initially, the neighbor's horses would get loose regularly and rampage thru my newly planted blueberries. I dragged the offenders back home several times, bringing them up onto their patio! to knock on the door. When they answered, they simply said, "Yes?" as tho the problem was not obvious. We finally had to fence the entrance to our farm. Then, the horses galloped thru another neighbor's Cranberry bog, destroying all the irrigation pipes.
Now, the dogs are a regular problem and today killed one of my Jersey Giant hens. It was exiting the pasture as I pulled into the drive this evening. I am furious. Animal Control is being called tomorrow, but if the dog makes another appearance, I, who's business has been to save lives, not waste them, will have to make a tough choice. These people are irresponsible and have had numerous complaints. Any comments?? It's that dog or a violent death for my birds.
a anon

Pleasanton, CA

#15 Jan 24, 2010
I have had to make that decision - hence my comments. I realize there is a difference between "hobby" chickens and someone raising them for production. But - a pet, is a pet, rather it's a hobby chicken or a dog. Don't believe me - ask any kid who has seen a pet chicken/duck get taken away by a dog. Rural pets are still pets. Perhaps he could have handled the situation differently, I just don't feel that public crucifixion (as some have done) is any better than what he did. Many of the people that have complained the loudest about this (see Facebook page for Remington PD) would complain just as loudly if they knew someone was letting their chickens get killed by a dog.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#16 Jan 26, 2010
a geer wrote:
I just reread the newspaper article--it said he used a COUNTY weapon. Even if it had not been my dog that was slaughtered, I would think that an off-duty officer would have his county weapons secured. I admit I don't know, but is there a policy about allowing them to use their weapons for personal use?
I AGREE 100% he could have handled this differently believe me if he had killed my dog I wouldnt care if he was in law enforcement when I got a hold of him
J-Gross

United States

#17 Jan 26, 2010
Woodward was issued a warrant for class 1 misdomeaner for animal cruelty.
Geers got a summons for letting an animal run loose--class 4 misdemeanor.
J_Gross

Baltimore, MD

#18 Jan 28, 2010
It appears that even if the Geers didn't have control of Henry, Woodward did have options prior to killing Henry. It doesn't appear he choose any of these options. The Geers and Woodward appear to both be zoned agriculture (hence Woodwords ability to keep chickens). There appears to be no leash law. Like I've said: I bet anything the Geers would rather of been fined $$$ than to have had their dog killed. Bottom line what Woodward did was mean. An officer of the law should not be a mean person.

Sec. 4-70. Dogs running-at-large.
(a) No dogs shall run at large in the County. Any person, after having been notified by any person, animal control officer, or other officer of the law that the dog is running at large in the County, shall be in violation of this section. For the purposes of this section, a dog shall be deemed to be "running at large" when off the property or premises of its owner, possessor or custodian and not under the control of the owner, possessor or custodian, either by leash, cord or chain.
(b) This section shall not apply to any dog or pack of dogs, or any dog owner, possessor or custodian while engaged in (1) law enforcement operations or training,(2) search and rescue operations or training for such activity by the members of any agency or organization recognized by the County as a bona fide search and rescue operation,(3) lawful hunting and dog retrieval as provided in Code of Virginia (1950), Tit. 29.1 and 18.2-136, as amended, or any field trial authorized by the department of game and inland fisheries, or any lawful training for hunting or field trials, or (4) any formally organized dog show or competition, or any training in obedience or in preparation for any show or competition.
(c) This section shall not apply in any Agricultural and Forestal District created pursuant to Article 8E of the Culpeper County Zoning Ordinance.
(d) A violation of this section shall be punishable as follows:
(1) First offense running at large within the County would result in a written warning.
(2) Second offense running at large within the County would result in a Class 4 misdemeanor fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00); provided, however, if the dog has been declared a dangerous or vicious dog in accordance with County Code Section 4-92, Dangerous and Vicious Dogs, a violation of this section shall constitute a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(Ord. of 11-5-2008
caa

Falls Church, VA

#19 Feb 6, 2013
Hey Russ is my ndighbor I'm 12 and you don't have all of the facts their dog had come to our house first and we did call Alice but she didn't gt the dog instead she didn't do anything. Russ has seen this dog on his property and let her know he would call animal control but she. Dint care so he shot it with a pellet gun not a real one. Now you need to take back al of those comments Russ has Ladoga of his own and 3 children he loves animals and he loved Henry but he was eating his chickens they cost money and it was his kids chickens and you shouldn't say things you don't know hes a great guy don't say anything that you know isn't true
Shoo

Bowie, MD

#20 Aug 21, 2013
Russ Woodward is a coward. There's no nicer way to put it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Remington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bus Driver Charged with Indecent Liberti... (May '13) May 8 Gbc 44
New Real Estate law office coming to Culpeper Apr '17 Legal Eagle 1
News Virginia Senate passes bill to protect religiou... Feb '17 DaveinMass 6
Stacy Mae Dodson (Nov '14) Nov '16 Mae 5
News Republican women cheer Trump presidency (Nov '16) Nov '16 Slappy White 4
louise tolley (Nov '16) Nov '16 wondering 1
Michael Waters (Mar '16) Oct '16 Charlottesville f... 6

Remington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance