Review: Sunrise School Of Dental Assisting

Posted in the Rembert Forum

sallie

Lexington, SC

#1 Feb 19, 2013
In October 2012 I enrolled and paid 2500.00 to the columbia, sc branch of The sunrise school of dental assisting. The course started out well, but quickly turned into disarray. We( the students)discovered discrepancies between the book, work book, and the instructors lessons. This led to a lot of confusion that was hard to get addressed. Midway through the course the dental clinic our classes were being held at fell under new management and tried to kick us out. In our course manual it clearly states we would be able to do clinicals at small smiles. This was withdrawn, but then reinstated by small smiles as long as we paid another 250.00 dollars for criminal,drug,and sled checks. Most students could not afford that so, we were forced to look elsewhere on our own time for places to do our clinicals. Most of us were unsuccessful as we were working students. A complaint was made about our radiology course and the lack of instuction and so that section was extended another week. A student had dropped the course due to being made fun of, by the instructor, in front of other students, but was asked by the school to reconsider and she did. There were not enough supplies for the all the students to learn on. One piece of equiptment and 15 students. At least one student was allowed to miss 5 days when we were told only 2 absences were allowed. The course did not live up too what was advertised and myself and many of the other students feel we could have received a better more organized education at another school. Interview the other students for their input. I was very let down and would not recommend the columbia,sc course to anyone. I chose this school because the Raleigh, NC school got such rave reviews. The columbia branch is another story. We were instructed on vaginal hygiene more than we were on dental assisting. We were even warned of the dangers of anal intercourse. Maybe I ended up in a sex ed class instead. The entire course was just bizarre. Don t waste your money. You ll never get it back and you won t find a job as an assistant.
Anonymous

Holly Springs, NC

#2 Apr 23, 2013
That's interesting because I and several other people, probably more than I know had a horrific experience at the Raleigh one. Pretty sure they care about the money much more and it shows. Also, not sure about your area but so many of us were and still are unable to find jobs in the dental field.
anyo

Hilton Head Island, SC

#3 May 29, 2013
im currently enrolled in the columbia school and i am VERY upset that i chose this school. it is a bunch of bull and the instructor like you said above is very rude and doesnt seem to care. only about herself. everyone in my class failed the midterm and when retakiing it made either a few points higher or even a lower grade. we have failed most of everything givin to us, because our instructor is all over the place. half the time it doesnt seem like she even knows what shes talking about. i hope someone reads these reviews and takes this into consideration before going to this school. it is not worth it at all. it is also very stressful and not worth the money!! i cant even put into words how i feel about this program it is that messed up.
Anonymous

Sumter, SC

#4 Jun 25, 2013
I must say that I find some of the previous reviews a bit unsettling considering the fact that I am currently enrolled in the class and will be completing it in a few weeks. I am not sure who exactly wrote the last review, but I can assure you that the whole class is not failing. I personally take offense to that statement because I have worked very hard to make the good grades I have along with of the other girls in the class(let me also add that I have two small children and I am still able to pass). With that being said, I feel I should review the class based on my experience so far as a successful (almost) graduate. First off, it should be known that in the state of South Carolina it is not required for a dental assistant to be certified or liscenced and that ssda is not accredited by CODA. This means that you will not be a Certified Dental Assistant, however you can still get a job as a dental assistant because upon completion of the class you will KNOW how to do everything for the job. I feel confident going into a dental office to work with the information I've learned so far. I can take x-rays, chart, I know pretty much all of the instruments, the proper names and numbers of each of the teeth, how to clean/sterilize, and the basic functions of a dental assistant. 14 weeks is a short time to cram all of this information, but with dedication and lots of studying this class definitely gave me the foundation I needed to start my new career. As for the instructor, I feel that she is actually very knowledgeable about the field, and I in no way blame her for my grades whether passing or failing, my grades are based on MY efforts. She has been able to answer any questions I've had, she quickly responds to my texts/emails whether it's the weekdays or weekend. Yes, there are some negative aspects here and there, but over all, I've learned how to be a dental assistant. It's an accelerated course with lots of information....be ready to dedicate lots of time and effort.
Anon

Apex, NC

#5 Sep 1, 2013
DO NOT, I repeat, do not take this course offered by any of the Sunrise School of Dental Assisting locations. It's a waste of time and money which you generally won't realize until you're too far into the course or post completion. I only wish there were reviews of this school when I was looking so I would have known what I was getting into. I was looking for a career with hands on training and went to tour the Raleigh office/school. It looks extremely professional and modern, but looks are deceiving. The sole instructor seems to not know what she's talking about and there were discrepancies between what was taught and what was in the book. We had a pretty decent group starting out, maybe 25 or so. We ended with about 12 or so. You would be shown how to do things once as a group like it would stick in your memory. Favoritism is shown. There would be days that they'd allow you to come in early, yet only certain people would be made aware. I was speaking with someone that worked for a Dental practice who informed me of what I already knew; graduates of this school are generally and routinely blacklisted. The "school" is taken as a joke. They're all about money not quality. A classmate that dropped the course said she shadowed at the Raleigh office and was so put off with the attitudes and behaviors of everyone that she left and never came back; for shadowing or class. The schedule for job shadowing literally looked like a job schedule. Shifts are covered for the morning and afternoon; they're basically getting free labor. It's extremely hard to find a job after graduating. I felt extremely unprepared. And yes I put a lot of effort into making sure I learned what was taught. My suggestion would be to attend a Dental Assisting program through either a community college or university. The costs are relatively the same, but programs are longer (so you can actually learn and become comfortable with material and get hands on experience) and you come out as a Certified Dental Assistant. Or better yet since they usually require the same prerequisites go for Dental Hygiene so you can really make some money!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rembert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Dec 16 juegoskizi 30
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Dec 16 juegoskizi 86
READ about Jeb Bush & family before voting Dec 15 voter b aware 1
Rembert woman arrested for murder Nov '14 moniquefig 3
Gwendolyn H. Holliday (Aug '13) Sep '14 lucy nguyen 7
Hampton W. Rookard, Freedom Fighter and an Orig... (Jun '10) Jun '14 Mka 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in South Caro... (Oct '10) Nov '10 R. Stokes 8
Rembert Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rembert People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Rembert News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rembert

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:56 am PST

NFL 9:56AM