Confederate statue crash sparks Reids...

Confederate statue crash sparks Reidsville debate

There are 5 comments on the WSLS-TV Roanoke story from May 25, 2011, titled Confederate statue crash sparks Reidsville debate. In it, WSLS-TV Roanoke reports that:

The Reidsville Confederate monument has reported via his Twitter account that he "has a splitting headache ." It's a comment that's meant to be funny, but that's far from what Reidsville city officials and residents are feeling about his demise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSLS-TV Roanoke.

Tired of Politics

Forest, VA

#1 May 26, 2011
http://youtu.be/G13eWqWgSC0
This link is to a video where the exact same thing happened in Frankin County, VA approx. 100 miles away from Reidsville, NC a few years ago. It is similar in content and design with many of the same issues being discussed. However, in this case in Rocky Mount, Franklin County, VA, the South did rise again and due to some small town politics where actually one of the Judges (white, of course) managed to not only approve the monies for restoration but actually turned it into a city wide ceremony complete with a parade and vendors. Just Unbelievable. Please check out the video and feel free to post your response.
automan

Mount Airy, NC

#2 Jun 7, 2011
they should take the rear end of a pig and put it on top of the monument
stand up

Newburg, MD

#3 Jul 5, 2011
I think they should put it back. It is history. Our heritage. It pays tribute to our southern heroes. They were not fighting doe slavery but for the country they would die for. Just as our soldiers today. People speak up don't be the silent majority. How can people want us to forget our ancestors when the same people want to be referred to as african americans.
Akemt2011

Anchorage, AK

#4 Jul 26, 2011
Weather you agree with the reason for the war or who was right or wrong, this statue and what it stands for can't be denied. It is part of Reidsville's and North Carolina's history. Everyone who has been in Reidsville or was born and raised there knows the history of the monument. I think it should be repaired and continue to be a part of Reidsville. I have been living in Alaska for 24 years but still have that picture in my mind as I was born and raised in Reidsville. Like other comments have said, its not about the war some much, but its about the soldiers who did and what they fought for which was the state of NC and its freedom. I am sure if a poll was taken, it would reflect support to repair it. So much has changed in the town but some things need to stay the same to remind everyone of our history of the town and of the past.

“Ride em hard - Get em wet.”

Since: Dec 08

South Louisiana

#5 Aug 11, 2011
Another Politicaly correct move by politicians because they are afraid of their heritage and our true history being challenged by others that feel they are being offended. Tuff Sh#t, this is America, if you want to tie in all that BS of rascism, your rights, etc. go take a hike. Enough is enough - when American people can't even place history statues, plaques, or words of God around political buildings,because of the worthless trash people we have in this country.
Well if it offends you think how it offends US and OUR rights to be a true loyal American and have to put up with others trying to tell us what we can and can't do.
Only solution is to vote out the ones that side with the minorities or foreingers in this country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reidsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Califonia nurse now NC stole drugs for years li... (Mar '14) May '16 anonymous 52
long lost friend May '16 Carolyn Wells May... 2
News KKK Flyers Found in Neighborhood (Mar '10) Jan '16 Mad 58
Looking Jan '16 Looking 1
Gibsonville crackdown targets sweepstakes busin... (Jan '15) Jan '16 JimGibson 2
News Several Local Bail Bondsmen Charged with Breaki... (May '10) Jan '16 Tonya 158
Miller plant to temporarily close (Oct '15) Dec '15 jake malone 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Reidsville Mortgages