Alice: Dog in the box.
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Prairie

Houston, TX

#1 Feb 23, 2011
Have you all heard of this? I imagine you have since I have heard of it all the way over in South Texas. I am appalled. Ashamed to say my family is from South Georgia...and disappointed that more folks on the ground there in LYONS are not demanding more from their county officials. We all need to demand change in the cruelty laws for the whole country. Animals are not inanimate objects..they feel pain, cold, excessive heat, love. Not all of us believe that but after taking in three dogs that were left on the street of starve to death, I have seen first hand what a little effort will do in the life of a dog. My three won't even go outside in the rain anymore. They know the difference. ALICE knows that living in her own waste is not acceptable. And we as the "superior" species need to realize that as well. I would like to know what Lyons intends to do with this dog if you allow it to continue to live in such neglect. I realize the dog has been moved to a new kennel still with little to contact...but is someone going to monitor the situation? Has her kennel even been cleaned out since she was moved to it? Are we just going to allow her feces to build up again? Come people of LYONS....do what is right. Demand more for her and for the Lyons 77 that were killed without even attempting to adopt/find owners/give them a chance to survive. Here is a copy of the Press Release for the petition to demand cruelty charges against her owners.

[email protected]
Sammy Smith

Pembroke, GA

#3 Feb 24, 2011
Good luck getting the ring leaders in Lyons to do anything.
Christie

Carlinville, IL

#4 Feb 25, 2011
I lived in the south for 7 years and could not believe how far behind so many states were concerning animal cruelty. I also noticed a direct link between a good ole boy law enforcement and turning a blind eye to injustices inflicted on the voiceless.
After watching the news and hearing the useless owner call the dog "IT" and saying it only lived in the filthy box for 3 years and the backwoods Sheriff, claiming "What's animal cruelty to some maybe different to him", I wanted to spit.

Doesn't Georgia have cruelty laws Mr.
In the Heat of the Night Sheriff wanna be?
Mark

Carlinville, IL

#5 Feb 25, 2011
What a shithole this town must be.

http://www.zoeystory.com/more-insanity-in-too...
Christie

Carlinville, IL

#6 Feb 25, 2011
I told you Mark, another great southern town. @@@@
Bonniezmom

Portland, OR

#7 Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the support. Love the "Mr. In The Heat of The Night Sheriff wanna' be" Cracked me up. Yes indeed Mark, the town appears to be "a shithole".
Join our boycott page if you're so inclined
http://www.facebook.com/SaveAliceBoycottGeorg...
Linda Ouderkirk

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Feb 26, 2011
Hello again-
Well, it seems that Alice's "Clean bill of health" fairy tale has been busted by the release of her recent vet vist receipt. This report was uploaded last night by SoCo Rescue and can be viewed here: Vet Report (link provided in my email)

This "scam" is obviously perpetrated by Toombs County officials, NOT SoCo rescue. No wonder the vet report was held so closely by the Sheriff's office and not provided to SoCo; as it clearly shows an estimate for the lifesaving medications the vet prescribed for Alice; and no purchase of them by the owner. I further find it repugnant that this woman calls this dog "IT" not even "her" or "Lil' Mama" as she so recently named her. While that is not a violation of Georgia Statute, Alice's 2-6 years in a filthy box and failure to get her a rabies vaccine as well as failure to provide treatment for a life threatening condition are.

Kathy Bradford "Newslady" of the Advance is complicit in this fraud. I sincerely hope that those involved in this shameful event at least loose their jobs. I also hope that SoCo rescue sues the County, the City of Lyons, the Advance, Kathy Bradford, Doug Hartley, Chip Matheson et al for the libel perpetrated against SoCo rescue. Georgia should hang it head in shame over this incident. Stop the lies and passing the buck and charge this woman per ordinance and statute! Seize Alice and give her to SoCo so she can receive the treatment she needs to save her life. We will not accept this dog going to any other rescue, or God forbid, the Lyons city shelter. She must be released to SoCo immediately, and her owner charged with felony neglect.

The boycott of your Onions stands and is growing. While it may not have much economic impact, it certainly is creating a massive PR problem for all of Georgia. More media are interested in covering this story. It won't be long before it is on the National news. I for one would not want to purchase any product from or visit such a place that allowed this corruption and blatant disregard for the law. Those officials involved in this fraud should also be prosecuted.
Sammy Smith

Pembroke, GA

#9 Feb 28, 2011
You can have the dog, the onions and the associated hispanics they brought with them. It'll be a 3 for 1 deal !!
Bonniezmom

Portland, OR

#10 Feb 28, 2011
Wow Sammy ... nice racist comment....
Workin MAN

Pembroke, GA

#11 Feb 28, 2011
I don't belive the comment was racist. The onion production brought the majority of hispanics.

I can ensure you won't see an ICE raid come onion season.
Christie

Gillespie, IL

#12 Mar 4, 2011
Alice made CNN! and boy did the Sheriff and the owner appear STUPID!!!!
old man

Greensboro, NC

#13 Mar 5, 2011
well beleave me they are not just in south georgia
they are every where
Mary Beth

AOL

#14 Mar 8, 2011
Linda Ouderkirk wrote:
Hello again-
Well, it seems that Alice's "Clean bill of health" fairy tale has been busted by the release of her recent vet vist receipt. This report was uploaded last night by SoCo Rescue and can be viewed here: Vet Report (link provided in my email)
This "scam" is obviously perpetrated by Toombs County officials, NOT SoCo rescue. No wonder the vet report was held so closely by the Sheriff's office and not provided to SoCo; as it clearly shows an estimate for the lifesaving medications the vet prescribed for Alice; and no purchase of them by the owner. I further find it repugnant that this woman calls this dog "IT" not even "her" or "Lil' Mama" as she so recently named her. While that is not a violation of Georgia Statute, Alice's 2-6 years in a filthy box and failure to get her a rabies vaccine as well as failure to provide treatment for a life threatening condition are.
Kathy Bradford "Newslady" of the Advance is complicit in this fraud. I sincerely hope that those involved in this shameful event at least loose their jobs. I also hope that SoCo rescue sues the County, the City of Lyons, the Advance, Kathy Bradford, Doug Hartley, Chip Matheson et al for the libel perpetrated against SoCo rescue. Georgia should hang it head in shame over this incident. Stop the lies and passing the buck and charge this woman per ordinance and statute! Seize Alice and give her to SoCo so she can receive the treatment she needs to save her life. We will not accept this dog going to any other rescue, or God forbid, the Lyons city shelter. She must be released to SoCo immediately, and her owner charged with felony neglect.
The boycott of your Onions stands and is growing. While it may not have much economic impact, it certainly is creating a massive PR problem for all of Georgia. More media are interested in covering this story. It won't be long before it is on the National news. I for one would not want to purchase any product from or visit such a place that allowed this corruption and blatant disregard for the law. Those officials involved in this fraud should also be prosecuted.
I'm unable to find the Vet Report, or the link you mentioned. I even went to the SOCO rescue site, thinking I'd find it there.
Mary Beth

AOL

#15 Mar 8, 2011
I've looked everywhere for the vet. report and am unable to locate it.
I even went to the SOCO rescue site.
I wanted to compare it with one that was sent to me, which was dated Jan.3,2011 to see what the fuss is all about.
If anyone can provide a link to it, I would appreciate it.
Sandra

New London, CT

#16 Mar 11, 2011
Why would a 77-year-old man want a dog? For protection? No, because if she's chained or tied up she can't go after anyone. For a companion? No, because the dog is kept outside. The keeper of the dog complains about the trouble the dog causes by knocking down her water bucket thereby making it difficult for him to refill it. Keeping a dog in the dark, unattended, lliving in its own feces, with no companionship, or medical services or vigilant attention to her basic needs is criminal. I read Kathy Bradford's account in the Advance and her facts do not jibe with the 77-year-old man's account of who Alice belongs to. He said she belongs to his daughter. So why aren't they going after her? It matters not what has been done SINCE this horrible situation was discovered, what matters is that law enforcement obey the laws of their state. A wrong does not make a right. The owner must face consequences for his and/or her actions. What kind of a message is being sent to the thousands of others out there in Georgia who have animals and mistreat them every day? Georgia's reputation precedes this incident. At the VERY least, remove Alice from where she is and let her live the balance of her life with people who will love and cherish her. If Georgia's laws are not meant to be followed, if people in violation of the law are not meant to be punished, then fine, that's another problem for another day. What Alice supporters want more than anything, is to have Alice REMOVED from her owner and placed with SoHo Rescue so that she can be adopted by someone who will give her the care that she needs. The "good ole boy" network is so apparent here it's a joke. I live in the north, and there are hundreds of people who are signing up to boycott Vidalia onions. The number grows every day. Hundreds in my small town is saying something and every one of them has friends who have friends -- and so it grows. The public officials and "journalists" like Bradford are sick and tired of all this hype about a dog, yet they are the REASON why people had to get involved because they weren't doing their jobs and obeying the law. So you could call it a monster of their own creation. And then state representative Greg Morris writes a concerned citizen letters with scathing remarks. There's another problem. I urge everyone to forget the small insignificant simple-minded officials like Greg Morris and send your concerns to the Attorney General. Participating in banter back and forth with people like Rep. Morris is a waste of time -- his kind never gives in and judging from his letters, he has made this his personal vendetta. His letters have been plastered all over the media. His profile says he's a "businessman," I can't help but wonder what sort of business he runs.
Sandra

New London, CT

#17 Mar 11, 2011
Please read this. It states that ALICE HAS HEARTWORM and the owner was given an estimate as to how much her treatment would cost. However, there is no word on whether Alice will be getting treatment. If she does not get the treatment, the disease WILL kill her. We must help Alice get the treatment she needs, even if it means helping the owner achieve this. We must think of Alice first.

http://www.socorescue.com/
Sandra

New London, CT

#18 Mar 11, 2011
If anyone knows of a way to contact the owner, tell them that Alice is worth more alive than dead. I for one would be willing to contribute towards a fund designated for Alice's purchase. Money talk and bullshit walks. The owner can keep Alice and not treat her and eventually kill her, or she can sell her. If the owner says she will give Alice up for x amount of dollars, can't we raise the funds? Unfortunately there is a negative side to this when some of the other animal owners like Alice's think they can make money doing the same, so it's probably not a good idea. There just has to be a way to get her away from this person. Maybe someone can also inform Kathy Bradford of the Advance that being diagnosed with heartworm does not constitute a "clean bill of health."
Timmay

Savannah, GA

#19 Mar 11, 2011
Sandra How about coming past the Mason-Dixon line, become a GA citizen, and run for office since you are a great problem solver. GA and the Fed's have a pending issue that we've never seen since the Great Depression.

If you can do better than Greg, I say more power to you.
The Alice situation is sad and it's wrong, but the media doesn't cover elderly people who cannot afford health coverage like they do a helpless animal.
Major Lady

Savannah, GA

#20 Apr 4, 2011
Timmay wrote:
Sandra How about coming past the Mason-Dixon line, become a GA citizen, and run for office since you are a great problem solver. GA and the Fed's have a pending issue that we've never seen since the Great Depression.
If you can do better than Greg, I say more power to you.
The Alice situation is sad and it's wrong, but the media doesn't cover elderly people who cannot afford health coverage like they do a helpless animal.
Amen, Timmay! I loved Greg's comments and back him up 100-plus percent. Keep your asses out of our great state!
gutapa

AOL

#21 Apr 5, 2011
I'm still waiting for a copy of the vets report on Alice, IF there is another one available besides the one on the 3rd. of Janurary.
Seems all that SoCo wants to do is to keep stirring up doggie poop, without anything to bsck it up.
The old man was quoted saying Alice was only fed a diet of "Bread/honey buns".
If that had been her only food source, she would have been skin and bones, but her photos didn't show an emaciated dog, and the vet report listed a healthy weight.
I'm not on either side of this apparently political debate that this has turned into, just for the truth about Alice.
Somebody is definitely lying and Alice is the one that the bickering parties seemed to hsve forgotten.
So I'm going to request a copy again, of
"another vet report" that SoCo said the city was hiding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reidsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven is in the North Aug 19 so you know 16
April Cox Aug 17 bravofoxtrot 1
crazy Aug 16 55jojo987 1
Good lay Aug 11 bravo 1
News Stanley Williams appointed as Warden at Smith S... (May '11) Jul '16 bevbry 10
News Psychiatric patients are vulnerable when state ... (Jun '07) Jul '16 Shasta Eubanks 16
News Claxton councilman indicted on drug charges (Jan '09) May '16 jamie 8

Reidsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Reidsville Mortgages