Library rewards Hanover's super readers

Full story: Evening Sun 22
Super readers - children who logged 2,000 minutes of summer reading for the Guthrie Memorial Library - watch a magic show as part of their pizza party Tuesday night at the library in Hanover. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tinlizzie

Orlando, FL

#1 Aug 20, 2008
who paid for the the 40 pizzas??? taxpayers?

Since: Jul 08

McSherrystown

#2 Aug 20, 2008
It's nice to know that there are still some kids who appreciate sitting down and reading a book. It sounds like they received a nice reward for their effort. Kudos to the parents who support them.

“Where is justice?”

Since: Jun 08

Born in Phila, live in Hanover

#3 Aug 20, 2008
We have to bribe our kids to learn now? Who monitored the kids reading? Were they reading comic books? Does reading off the internet count?

“The Horse Stops Here”

Since: May 08

Littlestown,Pa

#4 Aug 20, 2008
tinlizzie wrote:
most likely
Reading in Hanover

Washington, DC

#5 Aug 20, 2008
The Detailer wrote:
We have to bribe our kids to learn now? Who monitored the kids reading? Were they reading comic books? Does reading off the internet count?
Maybe you could demand that the kids learn. Try this and perhaps they will be lucky enough to flip burgers when they grow up.

Or perhaps, you can make learning fun and rewarding. Try this and perhaps one day those kids will be hiring you to flip burgers in their restaurant.
Pizza

Gettysburg, PA

#6 Aug 20, 2008
tinlizzie wrote:
They were from Guthrie Pizza's-Hanover's Public Pizza Place!

“Where is justice?”

#7 Aug 20, 2008
Reading in Hanover wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you could demand that the kids learn. Try this and perhaps they will be lucky enough to flip burgers when they grow up.
Or perhaps, you can make learning fun and rewarding. Try this and perhaps one day those kids will be hiring you to flip burgers in their restaurant.
Knowledge should be reward enough. When these kids get older and have a hard task to do at work, are they going to get free pizza from there employer for a "Job well done"?
hanover76

Warren, OH

#8 Aug 20, 2008
Goodness, all these people tried to do was give the kids (ages 4-12)a reception for doing something constructive with their summer. It is not like the kids were teenagers or anything. My heavens, why cant we just congratulate them and keep encouraging them to do better so that when they get older they can make the decisions to over rule the crap that todays teenagers are making for this world.
Reading in Hanover

Washington, DC

#9 Aug 20, 2008
The Detailer wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowledge should be reward enough. When these kids get older and have a hard task to do at work, are they going to get free pizza from there employer for a "Job well done"?
No, they will get paid. Good work = Good pay.
parent of a super reader

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Aug 20, 2008
why do you have to be so negative???? These kids worked hard and deserved the pizza party. And no...my kids didn't read because they knew they were going to get a pizza party. In fact, they didn't even know about it until I took them there last night.

Thanks Guthrie Memorial for doing such wonderful things to promote a lifelong love of reading!!!
R_Laughman

Carlisle, PA

#11 Aug 20, 2008
The Hanover public library's summer reading club has been going on for generations. If your family has been here long enough it's possible your parents were involved when they were children, and for some families, maybe even the grandparents. It is a way to get the entire family involved in something good, and fun, and where's the harm in that?

Guthrie Memorial Library is part of the York County Library System, and most, if not all, of the libraries participated, each one doing their own celebration at the end of their reading club. Usually there is a theme each summer, though I'm not sure what it was this year.

Some of the funding for the reading clubs probably came from the YCLS, as a way to promote reading. But even if - probably if - some of the funding came from taxes, in my opinion that is a far better use for tax money than to spend it on bombs that kill.

Local residents who took the time to go to the library this summer would have also seen that there was also an adult summer reading club, with "door" prizes and such, plus a raffle.

I joined the adult club this past summer, and played "Bingo" by filling out a paper with 16 book suggestions by categories. Such as: read a book set in Pennsylvania, try an author new to you, stay up late reading a thriller, read a biography or autobiography...

I didn't fill in all 16 spaces with titles, but since I mostly read mysteries and romance, this list of suggestions certainly took me out of my comfort zone!

When I signed up for the reading club, a staff member told me that more people had signed up than what was expected, and they were very happy about that fact. I'm sure they would welcome each and every one of you next summer, so think about visiting the public library and see what they have to offer!!
Hanover Resident

New Egypt, NJ

#12 Aug 20, 2008
tinlizzie wrote:
If this is where my tax money goes, I'll give extra! Congratulations to all the children and families.

I would rather my money go to the kids than to where it is going now (to the illegals)!

We need to invest in our future.
Penn-Township home owner

Harrisburg, PA

#13 Aug 20, 2008
I hate Guthrie Memorial Library since they changed the name. I would not go to the Library ever again no mater what they would give me. I was going to give them everthing when I died but that will never happen ever. Hanover has became a real stupid place and I really hate it. I loved it back in the early times and my parents had us up to Hanover every Saturday and when I finished MY Air Force I moved up here but now I would like to remove back tp Maryland and never go to Hanover again.
Another Laughman

York Springs, PA

#14 Aug 20, 2008
I see no reason why kids can't be rewarded once in a while for good work. It's a nice surprise and they feel good when somebody recognizes their achievement.
As for you TheDetailer-Give me a break! If you look at the job force carefully you will see that many employees are rewarded for a job well done. Businesses often give out incentives for employees to do a good job and no it's not just a pay raise! Of course learning is its own reward, but children are not intristic people who fully understand the value of reading! Did you at nine years old?
A Voice

Harrisburg, PA

#15 Aug 20, 2008
Wonderful Article and a great library to boot with great staff.

I don't mind chipping in a few bucks for the betterment of our children. They are worth it.

My Mother took my siblings and I to these programs 30+ years ago. Wonderful memories.
Whatever

Middletown, PA

#16 Aug 20, 2008
3-year-old Tatenda Chakanaka,(and heir apparent to Hanover), read 6,000 minutes.....YEA RIGHT!
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

#17 Aug 20, 2008
Hey, it used to be that you read 10 books and you got to come to the ice cream party....that's when I was a kid in the stone ages! LOL! My kids did this every summer until they were teens and it was so many minutes they had to read, too...I forget the rewards, but they remember the reading and that's the important part, really!

Good job everyone, and keep up the great reading....still hate the library changed it's name, though!

Since: Jan 08

United States

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Let's hope these kids keep reading. This will be a nation of morons if the current trend is followed. I work with young people that don't know how many planets we are from the sun. Amazing. They think New Mexico is part of Mexico. Reading is the easiest way to gain knowledge. Reading ANYTHING is learning.

I do remember leaves on a corkboard with your name on during the summer reading club at the library. Wow, long time ago. Anybody remember the Freddy the Detective books? They were about a farm and its animals, with Freddy the pig solving barnyard crimes. I read every one of those suckers. I can almost smell those books if I try hard enough. The musty, inky odor still lingers almost half a century later.
Gypsyseeker

Timisoara, Romania

#19 Aug 20, 2008
I wonder how many of the around 220 were home-schooled children. Anybody know?

“Where is justice?”

#20 Aug 20, 2008
I've been thinking about this, and I guess it is a good thing. When I was a kid, there was no cable/satilite tv, no X-Box or internet. We had no choice to read or play outside. I take back anything I said.

(Now somebody owes me alot of pizza for all the reading I did as a kid!) LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rehoboth Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rehoboth Beach Rental for a week (dog friendly!) (Sep '14) Wed susanhear 2
Review: Beach Bound Auto Sales (Oct '08) Wed Foster_john 26
Men fined for sexual encounter at Massey's Landing Mar 17 Tammy 1
Lewes Music Thread (May '12) Feb '15 Musikologist 19
midway tire Jan '15 po'd 1
News More Jan '15 scottius 1
News No more bikes on Boardwalk? Nov '14 Wirebead 1
Rehoboth Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web