Recycling scavengers upset some resid...

Recycling scavengers upset some residents

There are 142 comments on the Redwood City Daily News story from Apr 1, 2008, titled Recycling scavengers upset some residents. In it, Redwood City Daily News reports that:

It's a complaint that police and local garbage authorities hear quite a bit: People are stealing recyclable waste out of curbside bins.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Redwood City Daily News.

willie

Burlingame, CA

#122 Apr 2, 2009
I just chased away a hispanic scavenger !! She came right up onto the front porch of my house. I should have called ICE !
the reallist

United States

#123 Apr 2, 2009
willie wrote:
I just chased away a hispanic scavenger !! She came right up onto the front porch of my house. I should have called ICE !
you know it will be funny if one of those Hispanics kicks your a$$ in front of your own house for being a prick.
willie

Burlingame, CA

#124 Apr 3, 2009
the reallist wrote:
<quoted text>
you know it will be funny if one of those Hispanics kicks your a$$ in front of your own house for being a prick.
Let me know where you live so I can kick your ass !! hahaha..and I notice you said "if" because that will never happen.

Since: Nov 09

Anonymous Proxy

#127 Dec 2, 2009
2009-10, Cortesia BRE Properties, RSM, CA. is an icon of the insipid, growing allowance of illegal aliens stealing recyclables. http://dumpsterdi vingrties.wordpress.com/2009/1 0/11/brersm/ This link covers every aspect of the issue and the steps necessary to protect your family and home from these trespassing thieves.
This link takes you to a video taken via hidden camera in upscale neighborhoods where these folks target. Stealing recyclables is indeed illegal and is considered theft with fines up to $5,000.00 in CA.

Anonymous Proxy

#128 Dec 2, 2009
willie wrote:
The police recommend never confront these mexican immigrants because they will turn abusive or violent. Call the police immediately,...they are really starting to crack down on these trespassing thieves.

Anonymous Proxy

#129 Dec 2, 2009
the reallist wrote:
<quoted text>
Come the 2010 CENSUS, soon we won't have to spend our time chasing you folks off our porches, out of our yards, off our streets, and out of our neighborhoods, as you attempt to better your quality of life at the expense of our hard earned quality of life, via your uncivilized culture, attempting to turn our communities into a third-world environment, digging in trash cans on every corner, byway, street, parkway, and highway as a way of life. Go back to your third-world rathole.

Anonymous Proxy

#130 Dec 2, 2009
Island wrote:
I have no problem with them scavenging and rumbling through my recycling bins or my trash cans... they come and i assist them to take what ever is there, and if they see anything on the side of my house it is there for the taking.
HAVE A HEART!
even if BFI gets my recycling, the economy is going hay wired, everyone will pay the price no matter what...!
You don't want these folks in your neighborhood. You are CLUELESS; aiding and abetting thieves, and residential prowling trespassers casing our communities. You and your family deserve to be one of the first in your neighborhood to be robbed, raped and murdered in your own home in broad daylight.

Anonymous Proxy

#131 Dec 2, 2009
SpareMe wrote:
<quoted text>
I like your stereotypical assumption. I believe its people that are legal and illegal you ignorant fool.
Please exit to Mexico and stay there!

Anonymous Proxy

#132 Dec 2, 2009
Seriously wrote:
You know what "realing get me mad" is people lacking the intelligence to use proper spelling and grammar who waste people's time on these message boards with their illiterate rants against the poorest of people trying to survive. I am sure that they would rather make money a different way than going through garbage, but someone has to do it. They are not "stealing" from anyone. We pay a deposit when we purchase cans, bottles, etc. If we are not going to redeem this because we throw it away or leave it on the curb, than it should go to someone who needs it. Heck, the recycling plants don't even pay the full deposit amount back! If someone needs to carry pounds and pounds of dirty recycling because they really need the $5-$10, is that really what "realling makes" you the most mad?
<quoted text>
We can't wait until you and your family fall victim to one of these, nasty, uncivilized violent trespassing scavenging thieves.

Anonymous Proxy

#133 Dec 2, 2009
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
No inane rants here.. You are totally correct !
Here's another one,...needs shipping off to Mexico

Anonymous Proxy

#134 Dec 2, 2009
Bud wrote:
Actually, you're all wrong. It's about respect. I don't give a crap if someone wants to go thru my trash, even though it's on MY property.
I just don't like them making a mess, you should see what they do with the recycling and they even empty trash out of a bag if they want the bag bad enough. Why shouldn't they be cited for doing exactly what they are doing - littering ?
Now resume your usual inane rants.
Anyone who has no issue with unknown strangers trespassing at their home are irresponsible, lazy, cowards, and/or completely insane. Further, "recyclables theft" is illegal, as is "trespassing," with citable consequences of fines up to $5000.00, jail time and a criminal record.
Responsibility

Long Beach, CA

#135 Dec 8, 2009
Interesting how some of these comments are less about scavenging and more about ethnicity.

The woodwork cometh ....
lerp

Union City, CA

#136 Sep 16, 2010
From Reno: Recycle Poaching on the Increase
http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp...

Posted: Sep 13, 2010 12:17 PM PDT
Updated: Sep 13, 2010 12:32 PM PDT
9/13 - 5pm - Recycle Poaching on the Increase

Today's Top Stories
Freed American Stays Out of Spotlight in Oman
"The Ultimate" in Waste Recycling
Senate Passes Small Business Credit Measure
Census: 1 in 7 Americans Live in Poverty
Attorney Says Fort Hood Hearing Should be Closed
New Unemployment Claims Fall to Lowest in Two Months
Herzog To Follow Strict Rules For Parole
Annual National Championship Air Races Now Underway
Allen: Blown-Out Gulf Well to be Sealed by Sunday
After Blast, DOT Seeks Tougher Pipeline Oversight
Most Popular Stories
Officials: Fireworks Spark 86-Acre Rattlesnake Mountain Blaze
Susanville Residents Oppose Killer's Release
Firefighters battling wildfire in hills near Reno
Report: August 27th Circus Circus Shooting Justified
Bill Clinton acknowledges voter anger in NV speech
Nevada Democrats file FEC complaint against Angle
Authorities Identify Body as Missing Silver Springs Woman
'Reno Hires' to Host Job Fair Next Tuesday at GSR
Herzog To Follow Strict Rules For Parole
Arizona DPS identifies NV man killed in I-15 crash
John Potter

Channel 2 News

Reports of recycling poachers are up. Now more than ever, scavengers are hitting Reno streets on recycling day, rummaging through trash bins for things to turn into cash. Waste Management has noticed an increase. Spokesman Justin Caporusso told us, "You have people taking desperate measures I think, and you're seeing it quite a bit now."

As quick as south Reno resident Ed Hummel can put his bottles and cans on the curb, poachers pluck them out. He says they come like clockwork. As he told us, "Anytime we put the cans out, they seem to be stolen." Ed filled his bins late Sunday night... By Monday morning he found them empty. Across the street, his neighbor's cans were taken before the recycling trucks could get them.

What used to be down and outs collecting bottles has turned into a business. California busted one group for trucking bottles and cans from Nevada to claim California's 10-cent-each redemptions. Homeowners here say if they turn a blind eye, what's next? First the trash, then it's a few steps to breaking into their homes. But as Waste Management told us, your trash quickly becomes their property. As Justin told us, "Once the recyclables hit the curb, they become the property of Waste Management." But enforcing against theft is a different story. Ed says he "did call Waste Management, and they said there is nothing they could do." But they are concerned…the more scavengers take recyclables, the less Waste Management can cash in on. Ed is concerned: "There's probably hundreds of people employed by the Waste Management recycle program and the money they spent on to buy trucks and equipment to recycle. They're not coming back with full trucks, they're not going to make it." Justin says at the least, the increasing thefts could affect your bill: "The less product we have to collect, the higher the rate would have to be." For now, the raiders seem to be pillaging with impunity, stealing material intended for a program meant to benefit us, the taxpayers.
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#137 Sep 29, 2010
the reallist wrote:
<quoted text>
If they come inside, we get to shoot them...worth leaving the door unlocked.....
CJ of Los Angeles

Venice, CA

#138 Jan 19, 2011
RWC wrote:
When people take the recycle goods from in front of your house, it takes away from the money these companies make. When less money is earned from these companies from the recycleing they will raise the rates for garbage pick up. So even though I have no problem with people trying to make a buck, it will cost all of us in the long run.
( Quote who+"CJ")Dear RWC,I'm very sorry to inform you, That you are misinformed, The company as you refer to it, is the City of which you reside, The same of which supports the companies that make the homeless, That are made to have to scavenge thru your trash in order to survive,So when you start to feel sorry for the City government, Think of the people that they put on the streets everyday.
CJ of Los Angeles

Venice, CA

#139 Jan 19, 2011
Get Pso permission wrote:
<quoted text>
The right thing would be to ask the home owners permission before taking. Not asking for the home owners permission, I would consider it petty theft.
(quote who="get permission")
Answer me this, If a homeless person comes to your door to get the permission of which you're asking, What would you do? You sit living your life on high, Not giving a dam about others, You then want to charge these people with a crime, I suggest you beware of what is to come, You might just find yourself out there doing the same exact same thing you despise so much.

Since: Aug 08

Redwood City, CA

#140 Jan 19, 2011
Many of the "new" scavengers look to be well groom and are newly poor; their motivation seems focused on keeping afloat unlike the lomg term homeless.

Kitty Lopez wrote, "The late Hubert Humphrey said,“…[T]he moral test of government is how [it] treats those who are in the dawn of life — the children; those who are in the twilight of life — the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life — the sick, the needy and the handicapped”("Benefits of Sequoia," Letters, TDJ,
Oct. 16). Perhaps the title should be the "Benefits of Responsible Living."

A reminder to the people who fail to complete programs using our resources:

I would add that there is also another moral test - personal responsibility and accountability by recipients receiving governmental and nongovernmental sponsored resources to stay connected to society and contribute what little they can - for the individual, follow our laws and report their hidden or unreported income; for the young, stay in school, develop your skills, stay off drugs, don't do crimes, and don't conceive children you can't parent or afford; for the elderly, extend a helping hand in your extended family or be a mentor or proxy to guide those that are learning about life's challenges; for the truly disadvantage who are really not vegetative, just merely weaken by disease, you too can contribute to advance a progressive society as we see by many graduates from the Center for Independent Living. It is their attitude that is not impaired - their mind and their internalized values, tenacity and resilience carries the day!

Probably sixty-five percent of the needy and the handicapped are those that have little investment in our community resources; they fail to be completers - drop outs, the addicted, those prone to crime and violence, players and gang members, welfare mavens, and exploiters of subsidized housing. And then there are the parents that fail to control and supervise their children before and after school..., let alone curtailing their own selfish personal agenda.

Few take advantage of the outstanding government and nongovernmental resources without giving much in return. Fix this and demand more in-kind services from recipients or let's be dismissive to them while offering a helping hand should they ever be committed to change. Too many chances and we should essentially assess their needs and commitment and if necessary, write them off and "let the chips fall where they may."

Writing off the "disadvantage is sad if we can't sell them on a better and safer way to live but the offset is that we would really have more money and resources to assistance those that could not possibly take care of themselves.
rwc

AOL

#141 Jan 19, 2011
CJ of Los Angeles wrote:
<quoted text>
( Quote who+"CJ")Dear RWC,I'm very sorry to inform you, That you are misinformed, The company as you refer to it, is the City of which you reside, The same of which supports the companies that make the homeless, That are made to have to scavenge thru your trash in order to survive,So when you start to feel sorry for the City government, Think of the people that they put on the streets everyday.
Wrong, the city has companys bid for the job and they get paid for doing it and they take into account the recycle money when they set the rates. if people take the recycle the company does not make enough money and raise our rates. besides like i said i really dont care as long as they dont make a mess.
MPR

Sunnyvale, CA

#142 Feb 3, 2011
Kathy wrote:
These people get me realing get me mad. They go thru my garbage when before it get to the curb. Also when you are at park, they are as well going thru the garbage. They don't even wait until you leave the site. This is RUDE. These people should get a fine, since this property of the park. Also you will see them on publictransportation transpoting the cans and botle. I do understand that times are not that good, but these people are stealing, from the garbage company and other goverment owned area. Again they should be fined. A big fine.
I am not sure about RUDE but I have had damage to my car from the shopping cart they used to collect....also watched a guy casing my neighbors car acting like he was getting cans until I caught him...I reported him to the police and the RWC police said this is a common practice to see in the daylight what people are leaving in their cars and then they return to break in to those cars later...our street had 4 cars vandalized and broken into recently...it is not always innocent. Also watched a family hit every house on my street with their 4 children, all very young, sending them to go up onto the properties to look into the cans...their little plastic bags with bottles or cans swinging around hitting whatever got in their way...side mirrors, car doors, etc....think people.
Rusty Sterling

Redwood City, CA

#143 Aug 29, 2011
First, it is stealing not only from the trash company but from rate payers. Our rates a calculated based upon the money the trash company makes from this stuff, i.e., our rates are subsidized based on what the trash company earns from recycling.

And the damn scavengers leave a mess in front of my home when they start picking the stuff out of my bin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redwood City: Seven-story housing complex going... Mar '18 nita singler 1
My Teen Verbally Abuses Me (Feb '09) Feb '18 CDNClerk 143
News Redwood City: Tenants protest large rent hikes ... Jan '18 Ur Fired 3
Looking for family of Robert Silveria JR Dec '17 John 1
CSM new REAL ESTATE COURSES ...open now! (Upda... Nov '17 College of San Mateo 1
News 5-Year-Old Dies In Freak Horse Riding Accident (Oct '08) Nov '17 Vgolub 95
News Large hotel planned for downtown Redwood City (Sep '17) Oct '17 Not a dumb liberal 2

Redwood City Jobs

Personal Finance

Redwood City Mortgages