Recycling scavengers upset some residents

It's a complaint that police and local garbage authorities hear quite a bit: People are stealing recyclable waste out of curbside bins.
Comments
1 - 20 of 142 Comments Last updated Dec 30, 2011
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Kathy

Castro Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

These people get me realing get me mad. They go thru my garbage when before it get to the curb. Also when you are at park, they are as well going thru the garbage. They don't even wait until you leave the site. This is RUDE. These people should get a fine, since this property of the park. Also you will see them on publictransportation transpoting the cans and botle. I do understand that times are not that good, but these people are stealing, from the garbage company and other goverment owned area. Again they should be fined. A big fine.
ITU

San Carlos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Judged:

who cares, so they make a few dollars, in these times that helps. As long as they don't make a mess, I don't see a problem.
BDI756

San Mateo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Judged:

not all scavengers are rude, but for the most part, when the take my bottles and cans on trash day, they are neat about it..if it helps them, so be it...
RWC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

When people take the recycle goods from in front of your house, it takes away from the money these companies make. When less money is earned from these companies from the recycleing they will raise the rates for garbage pick up. So even though I have no problem with people trying to make a buck, it will cost all of us in the long run.
Recycler

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Judged:

As long as the cans do not end up in the landfill, so be it.

Burlingame was told to call the police when the recycling recyclers were going through our cans which is a waste of their police time.
Get Permission

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Judged:

Recycler wrote:
As long as the cans do not end up in the landfill, so be it.
Burlingame was told to call the police when the recycling recyclers were going through our cans which is a waste of their police time.
The right thing would be to ask the home owners permission before taking. Not asking for the home owners permission, I would consider it petty theft.
Jack Kirkpatrick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Judged:

Be charitable! The poor benefit from curbside garbage - bottles, aluminum.... They are motivated people who have swallowed their pride to supplement their income and these people, often women, are common and self conscious in my neighborhood. That inconvenience may be your fear and I don't think they are victimizing you. It is not very efficient to knock on everyone's door to get permission and frankly, I rarely answer my door unless I know who is there.

Pilfering recyclables may make the margin of difference in their life. A few bucks that helps them is worthy. In this recession, you can expect more of it. After all, you really don't benefit much by letting BFI or is it Waste Management, profiting from your recyclable.

Of course, if the people come onto you property - the curbside is city property in most instances -- then perhaps police action is required or you could just say "Hi" in a sensitive and knowing way. You should not always take counsel of your fears, but you should be alert if the behavior becomes untoward and endangers you property or life.

It is our countywide waste in our gridlock govenment and re-electing our incubents that is far more dangerous to the public.
Recycler

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Judged:

Far more dangerous too is that America is the richest country in the world yet our schools are having to "scavenge" for money to keep school libraries open, etc.(see article in Daily News today about Burlingame's BCE)
Jack Kirkpatrick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

It isn't that school and pubic libraries are not open or well stocked for very basic research or nightly study.

You can go to the local public library for more advanced research and evening study. Parents want to know where the children are and they at libraries to study and research; not be seen by other students as a social event.

I doubt that significantly more students would utilize our libraries than what they are now. The core group of students of yesteryear that used the library are the same type of core students that uses them today.

If you opened the school libraries at any of the high schools longer than they are now, I doubt that the number of different students would appreciate measurably upward significantly whether at Burlingame or Sequoia H. S....

You could prove my observation wrong by opening libraries at the two HS cited for a year. How many additional HS student would use them?
RWC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Jack Kirkpatrick wrote:
It isn't that school and pubic libraries are not open or well stocked for very basic research or nightly study.
You can go to the local public library for more advanced research and evening study. Parents want to know where the children are and they at libraries to study and research; not be seen by other students as a social event.
I doubt that significantly more students would utilize our libraries than what they are now. The core group of students of yesteryear that used the library are the same type of core students that uses them today.
If you opened the school libraries at any of the high schools longer than they are now, I doubt that the number of different students would appreciate measurably upward significantly whether at Burlingame or Sequoia H. S....
You could prove my observation wrong by opening libraries at the two HS cited for a year. How many additional HS student would use them?
What dose this have to do with recycling????
Jack Kirkpatrick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

RWC - read the post above mine from Recycler. That post changes the thread
dan

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Judged:

Jack Kirkpatrick wrote:
Be charitable! The poor benefit from curbside garbage - bottles, aluminum.... They are motivated people who have swallowed their pride to supplement their income and these people, often women, are common and self conscious in my neighborhood. That inconvenience may be your fear and I don't think they are victimizing you. It is not very efficient to knock on everyone's door to get permission and frankly, I rarely answer my door unless I know who is there.
Pilfering recyclables may make the margin of difference in their life. A few bucks that helps them is worthy. In this recession, you can expect more of it. After all, you really don't benefit much by letting BFI or is it Waste Management, profiting from your recyclable.
Of course, if the people come onto you property - the curbside is city property in most instances -- then perhaps police action is required or you could just say "Hi" in a sensitive and knowing way. You should not always take counsel of your fears, but you should be alert if the behavior becomes untoward and endangers you property or life.
It is our countywide waste in our gridlock govenment and re-electing our incubents that is far more dangerous to the public.
It is stealing !! flat out. These scavengers take what is destined for BFI !! Most of these thiefs are illegal immigrants, cant you see that ?? stealing is stealing.. I no longer leave out my recycle for these scums to pilfer thru.
For His School

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2008

Judged:

dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It is stealing !! flat out. These scavengers take what is destined for BFI !! Most of these thiefs are illegal immigrants, cant you see that ?? stealing is stealing.. I no longer leave out my recycle for these scums to pilfer thru.
Agreed. I've caught them trying to take my property without my permission. BFI is aware. I no longer leave mine out also. I take it now every two months for cash and donate the money to my son's school.
Cans

San Bruno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

How do you know they are illegal immigrants?
they might be full blown american citizens who need the cash for themselves or, imagine, just as "For his School" taking her recycle money to her son's school!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone Get It

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

Get Permission wrote:
<quoted text>
The right thing would be to ask the home owners permission before taking. Not asking for the home owners permission, I would consider it petty theft.
Regardless of who is taking the property of the home owners, it is stealing. If the shoe was on the other foot, and you, I , him, her etc...took bottles, alum etc from the home of the people stealing from you or I...dollar to a donut they would not like it.
Freddie Freeloader

San Mateo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

Hey, it's called "recycling" isn't it? As long as the stuff doesn't go on a straightaway, one-way trip to the garbage heap and people don't make a mess, let it go. If you're throwing it away and someone uses it means there was some utility left in it.
RWC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

I don't get it. The way I see it is by giving the recycle goods to BFI or whom ever they will take the profits and consider this when they set our garbage rates. So when other people come and STEAL them we have the chance of having our garbage rates go higher. I know times are hard and the cost of everything is up but that isnt a reason to break the law. If you need assistance there are services that are there to help you.
BDI756

San Mateo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2008

Dont hold your breath for Allied Waste to cut us some slack on our rates because of the trash they pick up...they will use any angle to lobby for higher rates.

I understand the "legal" argument of stealing what is "yours" ( your trash) but am less inclined to "press charges" since for the most part it will help people who deserve it most...
RWC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

BDI756 wrote:
Dont hold your breath for Allied Waste to cut us some slack on our rates because of the trash they pick up...they will use any angle to lobby for higher rates.
I understand the "legal" argument of stealing what is "yours" ( your trash) but am less inclined to "press charges" since for the most part it will help people who deserve it most...
I think the rates are lower because of the recycling but I could be wrong. As for stealing, personaly I don't think its stealing but they say it is. As far as I knew once you set something on the sidewalk it was fair game, 1 you no longer want it 2 its no longer on your property.
Permission is simple

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

RWC wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the rates are lower because of the recycling but I could be wrong. As for stealing, personaly I don't think its stealing but they say it is. As far as I knew once you set something on the sidewalk it was fair game, 1 you no longer want it 2 its no longer on your property.
So, you leave a working refig on the sidewalk in front of your home for PARCA to pick up, someone else takes it, that's OK? Or you leave bundles of newspapers for the Girl Scouts to take and someone else takes them..that's OK?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Redwood City Discussions

Search the Redwood City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 9 hr Twilight sun 7,851
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 9 hr sheepers 200,341
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 9 hr Facts facts 15,927
Review: Vencoa Inc (Jul '12) Sat wellsteve 57
dr. amit sex doctor male and female sex solucat... Jul 24 derek jeter 4
mtn.ng Jul 24 Balogun 1
Get Paid for Posts? Social Networking's New Twist Jul 24 N8 the Grrr8 1
•••
•••

Redwood City News Video

•••
•••

Redwood City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000