Study: For-profit hospitals do more C...

Study: For-profit hospitals do more C-sections than nonprofits in s...

There are 1 comment on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 17, 2010, titled Study: For-profit hospitals do more C-sections than nonprofits in s.... In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

For-profit hospitals across the state are performing cesarean sections at higher rates than nonprofit hospitals, a California Watch analysis has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

Geoff Teed - P3

Keyport, NJ

#2 Sep 20, 2010
This makes perfect sense. The % is also pushed higher because NFPs also "game" the system. Consider that reimbursement for csections is higher b/c the OR is involved and csections require 3-days vs an overnight. If you look at the csection rate by payer class you'll see medicaid has a much lower csection rate -- you'll also see higher % of mortality and low birth weight (LBW) babies in un-assisted pregnancies (w/o invitro or artificial insemination.)

In one hospital we studied we found 27% csection and we claculated the excess cost and presented to the CEO, CFO and COO and the collective response was "that's good, our high % of insured patients and our contracted rates make these high margin cases for us".
In urban hospitals with a high medicaid pop you will see very low % scheduled deliveries (and low % of for-profit players) and probably a higher % of LBW and mortality rates b/c of lack of access to prenatal care for the poor.
Silly that the hospitals don't focus on making sure young, expecting women are managed better. The the cost saving of avoiding a very few LBW babies fro un and under insured patients would easily cover the cost of hiring and staffing a clinic solely for the purpose of providing prenatal care, vitamins and education to inner city patients.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trumpa s bizarre California GOP conventi... 9 min Liberte 12
News East Palo Alto teacher will face charges for le... 19 min Julie Jane 1
News Police Seek Information on Residential Burglar 21 min Julie Jane 1
News Community benefactors 22 min Julie Jane 1
News Hildreth elected ALA treasurer 24 min Sandy Ann 1
News Donald Trump's views on California protesters 1 hr ICE 1
My Teen Verbally Abuses Me (Feb '09) Mar '16 Lue1981 122
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Redwood City Mortgages