Catalytic Converter Theft. Toyota Truck/SUV owners beware!

Posted in the Redwood City Forum

First Prev
of 48
Next Last

Since: Apr 07

San Mateo, CA

#1 May 11, 2007
My friend had his Catalytic Converter stolen today in RWC off Bay Rd. He called the cops and the police told him that he was one of 4 people who had their converter stolen today. all within a 5 mile radius of where he was working.

There's a couple of articles about it like this one http://www.sanmateodailynews.com/article/2007...

so be vigilant and watch your cars especially if it's tall and someone can get under it.
John

Hopland, CA

#2 May 16, 2007
A lady at my work just had hers stolen. It wan in the small staff parking lot which is easily viewable and people coming and going all day long...very brazen steal.

“Man Bites Dog”

Since: Dec 05

Sunnyvale

#3 May 16, 2007
Are they that easy to steal? Do you need to pop the hood, or do they go in from under the car?

Since: Apr 07

San Mateo, CA

#4 May 16, 2007
its normally right under the car, trucks and suv's are extremely easy. Just crawl under and they cut it out.

“Man Bites Dog”

Since: Dec 05

Sunnyvale

#5 May 16, 2007
Good to know - is my Honda CRV at risk?

Since: Apr 07

San Jose, CA

#6 May 22, 2007
could be, but it depends on if they can easily reach it
griffyn

Pomona, CA

#7 Jun 12, 2007
just got my stolen in ontario california, i was in the store 5 minutes when i came out the catalytic converter was gone from my 2002 tundra, 1000 dollars later
mark

United States

#8 Jun 19, 2007
mine was stolen too, 91 4runner in Buena Park CA
JLR

Washington, DC

#9 Jun 20, 2007
Mine was stolen from my 2007 Toyota Tacoma at the MARC Train parking lot in Seabrook, MD on 6/18/07
MMM

Oakland, CA

#10 Jun 21, 2007
I had my catalytic converter stolen today at Valley Fair Mall parking lot, in San Jose. I was parked right out in the open by the Old Navy store, in the mid afternoon. I drive (actually I roar now) a Toyota 4Runner. People say "beware," but there is nothing I could have done differently, except take a taxi to the mall and keep my car in a locked garage at all times (but then why have one at all?)
Tim

United States

#11 Jun 22, 2007
So, I'm not the only one huh? I just had my cat converter swiped off my 95 4Runner in Oakland (go figure)last night. Parked on a main street for about an hour & 1/2 - when I returned & started it up it sounded like a dragster - scared the ***t out of me. A nice precision cut was made on either side. A neighbor had seen the guy under my truck while he was taking the trash out - the loser fled. Oh well, these losers will continue to take anything but a job!
Laura

New Albany, IN

#12 Jun 25, 2007
@ Groucho: Yes, your Honda CR-V is at risk. Took my CR-V to the dealership today because of the loud noise, and someone attempted to steal mine. They sawed through the exhaust pipe, but didn't get the converter completely out. $2,000 later ...
jjc

Washington, DC

#13 Jun 27, 2007
2003 Jeep Liberty. Snowden River Park & Ride. Columbia, Md. Very clean cut. 06/26/2007.
2006 Honda CRV

Madison, WI

#14 Jun 28, 2007
Well they almost got it, the job was about 80% done but something must have spooked them off. Its at the dealer now who claims they can not weld any additional metal onto it to prevent it from happening. The car was at my apartment so hopefully this is not going to happen again. Police denied this being a trend, the tow truck guy however said he's picked up tons of newer CRVs with this already this week.
californiamom

San Jose, CA

#15 Jun 28, 2007
I'm joining the stolen catalytic converter club. I have a '93 Toyota 4Runner. Yesterday, between the hours of 2:15 and 5:45....mine was stolen too. It was during broad daylight at my work's parking lot off of N. First St. in San Jose. I hear from my mechanic they are being sold for real cheap after stolen.
Irvine Spectrum

Santa Ana, CA

#16 Jul 2, 2007
My catalyitic converter was stolen right outside my small business office during business hours in a populated parking lot.6-28-07 95 4 Runner.

My 4 Runner was extremely loud and could only get up to about 5 or 10 MPH... what is up with lack of power? I took it to the goodyear service station a block from work.
Now I swear the vehicle runs rough and is noisy. Can it be I got a cheap aftermarket poorly installed converter from the repair shop a block from work?
Tricia

Pleasanton, CA

#17 Jul 2, 2007
I'VE BEEN TOLD TOYOTA 4RUNNERS & TUNDRAS, THEIR CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE MADE OF PRECIOUS METALS...??? IS THIS TRUE? MY CO-WORKER HAS HAD HERS STOLEN TWICE NOW IN THE LAST MONTH & A HALF. IT COSTS HER $1100.00 TO REPLACE. IS THERE A CHEAPER WAY? AND CAN IT BE WELED ON?

Since: Apr 07

San Jose, CA

#18 Jul 5, 2007
Irvine Spectrum wrote:
My catalyitic converter was stolen right outside my small business office during business hours in a populated parking lot.6-28-07 95 4 Runner.
My 4 Runner was extremely loud and could only get up to about 5 or 10 MPH... what is up with lack of power? I took it to the goodyear service station a block from work.
Now I swear the vehicle runs rough and is noisy. Can it be I got a cheap aftermarket poorly installed converter from the repair shop a block from work?
could be a cheap smaller sized converter, find a good decent mom & pop muffler shop...

Since: Apr 07

San Jose, CA

#19 Jul 5, 2007
Tricia wrote:
I'VE BEEN TOLD TOYOTA 4RUNNERS & TUNDRAS, THEIR CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE MADE OF PRECIOUS METALS...??? IS THIS TRUE? MY CO-WORKER HAS HAD HERS STOLEN TWICE NOW IN THE LAST MONTH & A HALF. IT COSTS HER $1100.00 TO REPLACE. IS THERE A CHEAPER WAY? AND CAN IT BE WELED ON?
they are already welded on usually once they are stolen, they just cut the pipe and steal it. The catalytic converter when stolen and resold is only worth about 150-200 dollars but to replace it it runs 400 to 1000
EL PASO TEXAS

El Paso, TX

#20 Jul 15, 2007
My friend had his sawed off yesterday in a Walmart parking lot. Apparently they are being sold for some mineral found in the catalytic converter according to police.
HomeSlice wrote:
My friend had his Catalytic
Converter stolen today in RWC off Bay Rd. He called the cops and the police told him that he was one of 4 people who had their converter stolen today. all within a 5 mile radius of where he was working.
There's a couple of articles about it like this one http://www.sanmateodailynews.com/article/2007...
so be vigilant and watch your cars especially if it's tall and someone can get under it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 48
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 5 hr Misty Me 7,968
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 21 hr do it here 16,011
How would you like to/be proposed? Tue Jimmy 2
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 29 El SupremoS 201,038
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sep 28 No Time for Tea 5,084
....PLANT Native....garden... Sep 25 shykora paul arts 1
Disney on Ice is back in San Jose! Discount on ... Sep 24 multisportmom 1

Redwood City News Video

Redwood City Dating
Find my Match

Redwood City Jobs

Redwood City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Redwood City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Redwood City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]