Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
164,621 - 164,640 of 200,561 Comments Last updated 31 min ago
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a two tour Vietnam combat veteran punk. How dare you say I am not an American.
Your lies have been bad enough.
You can't win an argument with me so your resort to insulting a disabled veteran?
Don't let Jody bother you.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Jefferson wanted to change the penalty, he did not make the existing law double illegal.
I was placing your claim of: "used to be legal" into its proper context.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>I did
SSSB - Acronyms and Abbreviations - The Free Dictionary
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SSSB
Acronym, Definition. SSSB, Stiftelsen Stockholms Studentbostäder (Swedish: Stockholm Student Housing Foundation). SSSB, Small Solar-System Body ...
Making shiet up does not make it true
There are many definitions of the abbreviated initialization "SSSB", in this forum, it is used to denote Same Sex Sexual Behavior. You appear to be "Contextually Challenged".
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Bull shat, you stole the Vietnam vet story from Old Swift Boater. If your disabled its not due to combat, perhaps its from being a constant wanker.
I think that you have terribly debilitating issues. You should try to enlist, and see how long you last. Probably get blanket parties thrown for you from week 1.
Shooings

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Mystery Texas killings 'solved': Disgraced court official to be charged with murders of Texas district attorney, his wife and assistant DA after they convicted him of theft.

Eric Williams, 46, set to be charged with three murders.

DA Mike McLelland and his wife Cynthia were killed at their Texas home last month, and ADA Mark Hasse was shot dead in January.

Authorities reportedly zeroed in on Williams after emails sent to other county officials were linked to him.

Williams had been convicted of theft by McLelland and Hasse two years ago.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>No it did not. The laws in Cali already existed and have not been changed. You can't make something double illegal . Gays had the right to marry, Prop 8 was to deny them that right. Its all in the legal brief all you have to do is read it. Look if people want to have more that one spouse, file a damn law suit.
The people of California voted to clarify the definition of legal marriage in 2000, as union of one man and one woman. Apparently some folks were confused so the added that definition to their constitution via vote. Yet again......

So what makes u think polygamy can't be legalized?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that you have terribly debilitating issues. You should try to enlist, and see how long you last. Probably get blanket parties thrown for you from week 1.
Jizzy told a war story once. Said he's been "shot at".

Probably caught stealing some old farmers watermelons or something. Then the old coot fired in the air. Jizzy claims combat status.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain that one will ya?
Probably not. I think he sees stuff on bathroom walls and regurgitates it in here. He has never been able to give any kind of detailed explanation for his slogans.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not. I think he sees stuff on bathroom walls and regurgitates it in here. He has never been able to give any kind of detailed explanation for his slogans.
I saw something on the men's room wall it said "for a good time call Jizzy".
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Francis Albert Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Prop 8 didn't mention space aliens marriage dummy.
It only mentioned ONE man and ONE woman marriage. Effectively banning BOTH polygamy and same sex marriage. You know it banned them EQUALLY.
Hope I simplified it enough for you, but it is a very simple concept. I'm very surprised your superoir brain cannot grasp it.
Nor did it mention Polygamy, but it also failed to mention any of the 5 sexes of Vega, or 2 of the 3 sexes of Centauris

I am with you, Same sex marriage was just a sideline effect of their working to make Poly and Space alien marriage "more illegal"

We can’t say it banned them because they were already banned, we have to use the legal term "more illegal" :D
Shoesings

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Just another day in California.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
Try another time waster. Is the thing to the left of the rear wheel on my dirt bike a sprocket or a cog or a gear?
Or..... is this a veggie burger or a hamburger? Soooooo....in states where SSM is legal, what pronouncement does the state make? "Husband and husband", "wife and wife", "spouses for life", "I prounounce you married",etc?
Why are they marrying?
Uhhhhh....they want to. For love, companionship, create and raise children, money, etc. DOes it matter to anyone but the two people involved as long as they're consenting adults? No state, as far as I know, requires a statment of orientation prior to issuance of a marriage license. Perhaps it should so as to prevent people marrying outside their orientation.
A gay man will, more than likely, want to marry another gay man, not some lesbian.
More than likely. Gay men don't seem to marry at the same rates as lesbians though.
You might have married your wife just to stay in the country,
Actually so she could, I was born here.....that's silly we both were but thanks for asking.
but most of us would prefer to marry a person for the sake of love.
What kind of love? Romantic? Platonic? Friendship? etc. Suppose a couple were only marrying for the sake of "like" would the state still issue a marriage license?
And a state could grant two opposite sex adult siblings a license. The state can grant any license it so chooses………….
….. As long as it complies with state laws. s
Laws can and do change, sometimes by court order. Please explain how barring an opposite sex pair of siblings from marrying based on the possiblity of sexual reproduction, should be applied to same sex siblings when no such possibility exists?
It ain’t society so much as the doors it opens for the couple.
Thanks for the honesty, appreciated it. However, there is no compelling state interest. Society can function without men marrying men/women marrying women, and has throughout the history of the republic. If marriage is nothing more than a means by which two people, or more live thier intimate personal sexual lives with government recognition and benefits, then there's no reason to deny "marriage" to a variety of consenting adult relationships.
It not so much that it matters to the state. It matters to the couple. This isn’t really as difficult as you wish to make it. I’m married. It was done in Maryland nearly two decades ago. It is recognized anywhere I go in the US.
As with my marriage, except I was married in a different state.
My nephew was married in the same state a couple years ago. It is recognised in Maryland. See the difference? Do you honestly need to be told the difference between a marriage and a state sanctioned civil union AGAIN?
Marriage is a legal, cultural, historical, traditional, conjugal, and/or relgious, union of husband and wife, recognized in all fifty states, and by the federal government, and around the world. It's creation dates back thousands of years, and is evident in some form, as a male female relationship, in virutally all human societies throughout history. A Civil union is a modern western legal relationship structure created to accomodate same sex pairings/couples. Yes, I know the difference.
StupidRepublican

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

What grand fools the Republicans make of themselves!

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a nonprofit government watchdog, has asked the Senate ethics committee and the Federal Bureau of Investigation to probe whether aides to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell improperly conducted political opposition research on federal government time.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor did it mention Polygamy, but it also failed to mention any of the 5 sexes of Vega, or 2 of the 3 sexes of Centauris
I am with you, Same sex marriage was just a sideline effect of their working to make Poly and Space alien marriage "more illegal"
We can’t say it banned them because they were already banned, we have to use the legal term "more illegal" :D
Prop 8 prohibits polygamy.

What part of "ONE man ONE woman" don't you understand? Please answer, maybe we can get to the bottom of your refusal to admit prop 8 bans polygamy.

It's a simple concept really. One man One Woman means exactly what it says.

So lets have a quiz. Does One Man One Woman mean that 2 men and one woman can marry Big D?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriag...

On the March 7, 2000 primary election, Proposition 22 was adopted by a vote of 61.4% to 38%, thus adding § 308.5 to the Family Code, largely replicating the 1977 enactment. The one-sentence code section explicitly defined the union of a man and a woman as the only valid or recognizable form of marriage in the State of California.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it mention Martians and Venusians? Why yes it did! Because men are from Mars, women are from Venus, and you're from Uranus!

I just couldn't resist.:)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>I did
SSSB - Acronyms and Abbreviations - The Free Dictionary
acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SSSB
Acronym, Definition. SSSB, Stiftelsen Stockholms Studentbostäder (Swedish: Stockholm Student Housing Foundation). SSSB, Small Solar-System Body ...
Making shiet up does not make it true
http://www.ejssb.org/4.html

Empirical Journal of Same-Sex Sexual Behavior

The claims and interests of those engaging in samesex sex (SS) roil Western civilization. Effective, clearheaded public policy requires sound empirical information about this behavior, including the psychology and demographics of those who practice SS, medical and public health aspects of SS, social and cultural ramifications of SS, etc. Though there are scientific journals that publish some empirical studies and reviews about human SS, no journal is solely dedicated to its empirical study. The Empirical Journal of Same-Sex Sexual Behavior (EJSSB) aims to fill this void.

EJSSB was conceptualized by Dr. Paul Cameron and Dr. George Rekers in late 2006. Both felt that a pall of censorship had descended upon academia, and an unbiased peer-reviewed journal — editorially, neither dedicated to, nor in opposition to, gay rights — was needed. A clear illustration of this censorship occurred in the on-line version of Pediatrics. When Drs. Paul and Kirk Cameron first submitted ‘Problems With Pawelski, et al’s Article on the Well-Being of Children of Homosexuals’ to Pediatrics ( aappublications.org/cgi/eletters/118/1/349 , 2006), it was published immediately and remained on the website for a couple of months. A member of the American Academy of Pediatrics submitted another critique and it too was published — briefly. Both then disappeared. After multiple attempts to get these articles reinstated — as per the claimed policy of Pediatrics — it became clear that inclusion of facts not in accord with the pro-gay rights stance of the journal (indeed, generally better facts) would not be permitted. This kind of censorship is diametrically opposed to what science and free inquiry are all about. Further, in this instance, professionals dealing with children were exposed to a one-sided, prohomosexual set of poor research. Not telling the ‘whole truth’ has consequences for any society.

Being empirical rather than theoretical, studies published in EJSSB will generally use descriptive rather than diagnostic or political language. We agree with Ludwig von Mises that:“...as long as we do not know how external facts — physical and physiological — produce in a human mind definite thoughts and volitions resulting in concrete acts, we have to face an insurmountable methodological dualism.…“Reason and experience show us two separate realms: the external world of physical, chemical, and physiological phenomena and the internal world of thought, feeling, valuation, and purposeful action....“Identical external events result sometimes in different human responses, and different external events produce sometimes the same human response. We do not know why.…“Human action is one of the agencies bringing about change. It is an element of cosmic activity and becoming. Therefore it is a legitimate object of scientific investigation. As — at least under present conditions — it cannot be traced back to its causes, it must be considered as an ultimate given and must be studied as such.”(Human Action, 1949)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Nomenclature

With the understanding that persons who engage in same-sex sexual behavior are often called ‘homosexuals,’‘gays,’‘lesbians ,’ and the like, it is preferred that the terms MSM (males who have sex with males), FSF (females who have sex with females) be used throughout the manuscript. In this we follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in its HIV/AIDS Surveillance Reports. Beginning in 1982, diagnostic terms such as “homosexual males,”“bisexual males,” and “bisexual females” were employed. From 1983–1987, a slight change was made to the diagnostic term “homosexual or bisexual.” Then in 1988 the CDC switched to “male homosexual/bisexual contact,” followed by “men who have sex with men” in 1999 (which precludes man-boy contact). Since 2002, the CDC has employed “male-tomale sexual contact,” a completely descriptive and nondiagnostic terminology that does not limit homosexual contacts to those between adults and thus accommodates the known sexual transmission of HIV from men to boys. While authors are strongly encouraged to follow this convention in EJSSB, as long as the author indicates toward the beginning of the manuscript that what he means by ‘homosexual’ is someone who engages in same-sex sexual behavior,‘homosexual’ and like abbreviations can be used. However, if the individuals in question have same-sex desires, but have not acted upon them, they have ‘same-sex sexual desires’ and not ‘same-sex sexual behavior.’ In that case, the term ‘homosexual’(which would then be diagnostic rather than descriptive) should be avoided. Instead use an abbreviation such as SSD, or for attractions SSA, etc.

Why EJSSB is Different

Many journals — such as those of the American Psychological and Sociological Associations — take an advocacy role regarding SS, refusing to publish papers that might be construed as ‘injuring’ the progress of the ‘gay movement.’ Others, such as Pediatrics, publish reviews of parenting by those who engage in SS, but present one side of the issue while deliberately ignoring counter-research. As a purely scholarly publication devoted to scientific investigations, the Empirical Journal of Same-Sex Sexual Behavior will not take any editorial stance or advocacy position for or against ‘gay rights,’ the age of consent, the criminalization of SS, whether those who practice SS should be induced to change, etc. because these are all matters of public policy, law, politics, moral judgment, and/or opinion. Empirical phenomena constitute the sole academic focus of this journal. A number of our editors and reviewers are anonymous because they fear for their careers. This indicates the degree to which ‘being in scientific fashion regarding gay rights’ has become a requirement for publication. Even opening the possibility that one is not in favor of ‘gay rights’ can be a career killer. EJSSB exists to permit free, unfettered inquiry. No editorial stance regarding gay rights — pro or con — is taken in the hope that, in the long run,‘truth will out.’
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 prohibits polygamy.
What part of "ONE man ONE woman" don't you understand? Please answer, maybe we can get to the bottom of your refusal to admit prop 8 bans polygamy.
It's a simple concept really. One man One Woman means exactly what it says.
So lets have a quiz. Does One Man One Woman mean that 2 men and one woman can marry Big D?
Still stuck on stupid, I see.

What part of polygamy was illegal BEFORE Prop 8 don't you understand? It will remain illegal after Prop 8.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 bans polygamy too. You are now dishonestly attempting to change the argument from the effect of prop 8 to the purpose of prop 8. Just like you do with procreation.

Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us. You are dishonest.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Redwood City Forum right now

Search the Redwood City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr Bee Keepers 4,977
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 7 hr facts faced 15,929
Border Agents Make Zero-Tolerance Zone (Aug '06) 11 hr guest 48
Ravenswood considers adding a second middle sch... Tue epa mom 2
Trouble sleeping: a warning sign of suicide in ... Tue helena 3
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon Mudflys to 7,901
East Palo Alto's Highway 101 Ped/Bike Bridge Al... Aug 16 fishes 1
•••
•••

Redwood City News Video

•••
•••

Redwood City Jobs

•••