Review: Cathy Jean Shoes
shopping

Surrey, Canada

#42 Oct 26, 2010
Shopper wrote:
ok, no one wants to hear from disgruntled ex employees or people that think they dont have to listen to a simple return policy that's written on the receipt. I have shopped at Cathy Jean for years and have always enjoyed the shoes and customer service experience. Everyone has gone out of the way to help me and I have always gotten what I wanted. The shoes are affordable and adorable. Keep in mind all stores have return policies. This is nothing new in the world of retail so get over it.
This definitely sounds like someone who works at Cathy Jean......
erica

West Columbia, SC

#43 Nov 2, 2010
cathy jeans sucks, i brought shoes a week ago, some thigh-high boots,cute but need to fit over my fitted pants, tried to exchange for a bigger size did not care for money back just a bigger size and couldnt because i didnt have my receipt, how do this company thinks its going to survive in a recession when u cant take care of your customers
Unhappy Customer

Dublin, CA

#44 Nov 13, 2010
I had a terrible experience with the Cathy Jeans in their store in the Stoneridge Mall of Dubline/Pleasanton California. The store manager (whose name is Cara) is terrible. She was extremely unprofessional. I was returning a pair of shoes bought 5 days ago and she said i couldn't because the bottom appeared to have wore out. I said that was impossible because the only time I wore since I bought the shoes was at home trying for a couple of minutes and i have carpet and hardwood floors. The heel was a bit high so i was trying to replace it with two other pairs! She insisted that she couldn't take them back, and did somthing that totally shocked me. She sent 3 security guards to kick us out of the store! I was insulted but also thought that was silly as it was just me and my 6 year old daughter. Never shop in that store, ever! I told the story to my sister and girl friends, and they all said no way they would go back. I sent an email to their custome services and based on above stories, looks like I should expect not to hearing from them. Yes, DO NOT Shop there, at least not the one in Stoneridge!

Since: Nov 10

United States

#45 Nov 18, 2010
I just purchased a pair of boots from the cathy jean shoe store at fashion island mall and I had the best customer service experience with their manager there.
I love the the boots.
Marilyn

United States

#46 Nov 19, 2010
I just purchased a pair of Cathy Jean boots in the Mission Viejo mall and I absolutely love them! It is the best boot selection in the mall. Great prices too!!
JeanGirl

Beaverton, OR

#47 Nov 21, 2010
Jumpjoy wrote: "My daughter worked at Cathy Jean for awhile. She was told that she would make a 10% commission in addition to an hourly rate.
After her first paycheck, she was told that she had to sell at least $85 per hour to earn a commission.
Then she was told that the first $85 per hour DOESN"T COUNT toward commission. So if you sell $100 per hour, you get 10% of the $15 - or $1.50 per hour extra. WOOO HOO.
And finally, after being told this was a commission paying job, she was told that if you're hired between November 15th and January 1st, YOU DON"T EARN COMMISSIONS AT ALL!!!!!! She was hired November 17th, told she was eligible for commissions, and then jerked around.
This dumb ass company with its crappy shoes should be ashamed of itself for luring girls in with promises of commissions that they clearly have no intention of paying."

"Maybe instead of getting angry at a "dumbass company" you should teach your daughter to read the paperwork she signs when hired explaining the commission. Just an idea.'captain obvious'"

OKAY 'captain obvious' FROM Atlanta, GA I WORK AT CATHY JEAN AND JUST LIKE JUMPJOY WROTE I READ OVER THE PAPER WORK AND IT DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE HIRE DATE THAT IF YOU WERE HIRED THIS TIME TO THIS TIME YOU DON'T GET COMMISSION EVEN AFTER SIGNING THE PAPER WORK IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT IT. SO MAYBE BEFORE BEING RUDE YOU GO APPLY TO CATHY AND GET THE JOB AND DO THE PAPER WORK.
cdawgyxo

United States

#48 Dec 6, 2010
Cathy Jeans is horrible with their return policy! I bought boots on saturday and on sunday i tired it on with my outfit walked around in the house for a little bit and it started to hurt so i went to the store on monday to return them and they said that since it looks "worn" they cant take it back. I honestly didnt even take a step outside with them. Like any other place if the shoes hurt they gladly take it back like nordstroms macys and even marshalls take it back but not cathy jeans...no wonder why most of the cathy jeans store closed around here..they should just be out of business already honestly..i work hard for my money and this is what i get....
cali

Kerman, CA

#49 Jan 3, 2011
Oh no, now reading these reviews I'm a little concerned about my shipment. I ordered my boots on 12/26 because the local store was out of my size. It says I can track my order but I checked every weekday & the status doesn't say pending like it says it should. I'm just worried because if by chance they dont have my size because they aren't making more & my order is cancelled, what is their policy about refunding? Are they prompt or are they going to make me wait long for a refund? I personally do like this store but when I went to ask the store if they knew how it worked online, they didn't. I've emailed with questions but no answer yet. Does anyone know how that part works if an order is cancelled? Thanks
Danielle

Tucson, AZ

#50 Jan 12, 2011
I just bought a pair of cute sued boots from them for $50 during their 1/2 off sale on 1-8-2011 at the chandler fashion center location. I wore them yesterday 1-11-11 on a little trip to Flagstaff, which is a 6 hour round trip of mostly driving. When I got there to visit with some family, I took my boots off and I noticed a small little rip at the toe of the right boot. Immediately I was upset that my boots had already torn at the tip and took them off when I got back to Chandler so I could return them. The next day on 1-12-11 I went back to the store to return them to see if I could get my full return because there is a defect, that is well with in the return policy time frame. The girl said they would give me my money back when I had bought them if they were to be defective. I had said that is great because I had some sandals that i had bought from aldo and those sandals broke one week after wearing them and they wouldn't return those and its good to know that this place would accept defective merch back. Little did I know that they wouldn't return my defective boots and completely humiliate me in front of the whole store. The sales manaager Stephanie, was rude and had no sense of customer service when it came to my problem. After I had to reiterate the fact that my boots were tearing after one day of wearing them, she said she couldn't do anything at all to help me. The only thing she could do was to direct me to her store manager the next day who's name is Lauren who "might" give me an exchange but not a full refund.I don't want another pair of defective boots and I don't want another person to tell me they won't rectify this problem. She even threatened to call the security on me after i had announced to the store that this company sells low quality shoes and will not help you if you were to experience any defects with them after one day of wearing them. I hate this company and I hope it goes belly up in this economy.
EX-CJ Recruit

Menifee, CA

#51 Jan 14, 2011
Based on what I have read in this thread I will offer my recent experience.

I am a college graduate former CSM/HR/Visual Merchandise Mgr who was recently recruited by a CJ mgr to interview for a asst/mgr position with the company. Never did I expect to have to endure the lack of professionalism I have. I interviewed with a store mgr on 12/29/10 & was told I was hired. I was given a new hire packet & a color/category sheet to memorize. I was told that corporate authorization was needed & I would get a return call with a start date.

Apparently there was employee/mgmt issues in the store & my start day seemed to be delayed. I got a call a few days later & was told that I had to do a second interview with the District Manager Mrs. Jean Wong the following week. I agreed to interview again on Sat 1/8/11. I was told to come in at approx. 12:30pm that of which would be confirmed. I never got a confirmation.

I was a little concerned but as a former retail supervisor I understand things happen so I decided to take the initiative & just show up without confirmation. When I arrived for my follow up interview Mrs. Wong had no idea I was coming into the store that day. She explained to me that the recruiting supervisors employment had been terminated, apologized for the confusion & asked me to wait outside to be interviewed.

I had researched the company mission statement that of which placed high value on maintaining the customer experience through caring and understanding. This seemed like the type of co. I would enjoy working hard for.

The interview was more of like a informative meeting about the store set-up, policies, and procedures. I was told that once again because it was a Sat. I had to wait until Mon. for corporate authorization & a start date.

Unexpectedly at the end of my interview Ms. Wong asked me if I would mind doing another on spot interview this same day with the newly promoted mgr. as well. I agreed. Upon completing my second interview with the new mgr. Monique I provided her with my completed new hire packet forms filled out with my personal info. I also made an inquiry if I should proceed with memorizing the color category sheet at this time & I was told yes.

I proceeded to wait for Mrs. Wong to return to conclude my interview but was instead told that she was on the phone in a unexpected corporate meeting & could not return. Monique asked for my phone number & told me Mrs Wong would call me later that day(despite having provided them with an application & resume with my contact info).

I had terminated my employment search, informed my family of the new hire news, & memorized the color category sheet when I once again did not get a call back as I was informed. After 3 days passed I decided to call CJ to inquire about my employment status. I called the store on 1/12/11 & requested to speak to Monique. I was told "sure" then upon identifying myself was told that she was not in & that she would be in the following day.

I decided to walk into the store on 1/13/11 to speak to Monique personally. Upon arriving I was told that Monique didn't work today. I was told she was at the store the night I called. I explained my concern & the asst. called Monique at home. Monique told the asst. to tell me that they gave the job to someone else!

I am in shock. The DM Jean Wong didn't even call me. I then asked for corporate info & was told I could not have it.

In these difficult economic times the 2 weeks of my wasted time, gas, efforts is unacceptable. Also, I had been asked if I was married & if I had children during my interview which is against the law. Understandingly, I made no big deal of such inquiries but this was shocking coming from a DM.

CJ lost an awesome team recruit. I am an aggressive, motivated, professional with a strong work ethic who was willing to give my 100% to making things happen & keep the customer happy in the long run.

What a disappointment.

Thank you for your time. Best Wishes.
helpful homie

Thousand Oaks, CA

#53 Mar 4, 2011
Dawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you still have the # for the company in CA? I would like to give them a piece of my mind, too!
nine four nine two two five zero six zero zero
Just quit CJ

Mililani, HI

#55 Mar 13, 2011
I just quit Cathy Jean, and the terrible customer service and return policy is but a reflection of the upper management. Things have gone terribly downhill since Cathy Jean hired a new District Manager, Jean Wong (who another poster had mentioned). Jean had never worked in retail, but she got the position because she was Bud's (the owner) attorney and she mentioned to Bud that she was looking for a less time-consuming career, so Bud offered her the district manager position. Jean had never worked with the company before and only worked in retail briefly.
She has since fired several managers and other store employees, and she treats us employees as if we're a disposable commodity. A previous poster stated that Jean was terrible about getting back to her about a job position, which I'm not surprised about at all. It's taken months for her to get back to people on raise requests, paid time off requests, etc. She made sure to fire one manager before granting that manager's paid time off request. In place of these old managers, she's hired incompetent new managers. As yet another poster said, this place reeks with nepotism and cronyism.
She also violates the company's policy to allow all store employees an equal opportunity to sell on the sales floor because we're paid on base pay + commission, and we have sales goals we have to make in order to stay employed here.
As for the shoes? Their quality and style have gone downhill during the time I've been working here. And the 60% employment discount we receive isn't all it's cracked up to be when it's 60% off the original price, but everything in the store is at least 25% off; most of it is 50% off. So it's really more of a 10% discount than anything.
Consumer of all things

Moreno Valley, CA

#57 May 10, 2011
Shopper wrote:
ok, no one wants to hear from disgruntled ex employees or people that think they dont have to listen to a simple return policy that's written on the receipt. I have shopped at Cathy Jean for years and have always enjoyed the shoes and customer service experience. Everyone has gone out of the way to help me and I have always gotten what I wanted. The shoes are affordable and adorable. Keep in mind all stores have return policies. This is nothing new in the world of retail so get over it.
Listen, CATHY JEAN CURRENT EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BLOG HERE! STOP DEFENDING THIS HORRIBLE CORRUPT COMPANY, THAT HAS THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES BLOGGING ON HERE, JUST TO MAKE UP FOR REALITY, WHICH IS THE TRUTH! THIS COMPANY MUST BE STOPPED! BOYCOTT,,,BOYCOTT,,,BOYCOTT CATHY JEAN SHOES, IN ALL ASPECTS! IN STORE, ONLINE,,,,,.....ALL! TRUST A CONSUMER THAT IS A MYSTERY SHOPPER, AS WELL AS SHOPS FOR THE FUN OF IT! TRUST ME, THERE'S NO FUN IN SHOPPING WITH CATHY JEAN, WHETHER ONLINE OR IN STORE......
Cathy

United States

#58 May 12, 2011
Ok I am a little biased since my real first and middle name is Cathy Jean, but been shopping at this store since it first opened in my area over 10 years ago and never once had a bad experience. The boots and sandals I have purchased are all comfortable, right on trend and affordable. All the sales staff in the Bay Area and Portland area have been really nice to me. Stores have policies, you are signing a contract when you purchase so get over it. Also attitude goes a long way- you get what you give.
Taylor

Phoenix, AZ

#59 May 18, 2011
NEVER BUY SHOES FROM HERE! They seriously jip you. I bought shoes from there wore them for not even two hours and the bottom of the shoe was coming off. They will not return the shoes or fix them. They are a horrible place to buy shoes from and have terrible customer service.
Cathy Jean hater

Vista, CA

#61 Jun 20, 2011
Purchased a pair of 'SUEDE' wedges online. They sent me the shoes in leather. I have tried 3 different times to email and confirm they have my shoes in suede before returning them, I have gotten NO response, and the store will not return the shoe for me and I cannot exchange it since they don't carry the shoes in black suede. I will never shop at Cathy Jean shoes again! They are a bait and switch scamming company! Buyer beware!!!!!!! Their 35 years of business will come to an end soon with this type of business doings.
logical

San Diego, CA

#62 Sep 22, 2011
Consumer of all things wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen, CATHY JEAN CURRENT EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BLOG HERE! STOP DEFENDING THIS HORRIBLE CORRUPT COMPANY, THAT HAS THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES BLOGGING ON HERE, JUST TO MAKE UP FOR REALITY, WHICH IS THE TRUTH! THIS COMPANY MUST BE STOPPED! BOYCOTT,,,BOYCOTT,,,BOYCOTT CATHY JEAN SHOES, IN ALL ASPECTS! IN STORE, ONLINE,,,,,.....ALL! TRUST A CONSUMER THAT IS A MYSTERY SHOPPER, AS WELL AS SHOPS FOR THE FUN OF IT! TRUST ME, THERE'S NO FUN IN SHOPPING WITH CATHY JEAN, WHETHER ONLINE OR IN STORE......
Ok I have being reading all of these entries, what I find funny ( keep in mind I have never been to this store but I am in retail) You seem to be open to accepting critque that come from disgruntled employees and unhappy customers, but the moment you get a good response you attack the person. Isn't this suppose to be an open forum? if you want to hear people agree with you go home and stay off a chat site.
gigi

United States

#63 Nov 11, 2011
horrible store!!!!...Granted they have decent looking shoes but they can be extremely uncomfortable plus they have a horrible return policy.
I bought a pair of flats for work and wore them the very next day, they were soo uncomfortable that they bruised both my heels.
I gave the store a call letting them know what had happened, and clearly stated that all I wanted was to exchange the shoes for a more comforatble pair. They DO NOT have a customer service # so you are unable to speak with anyone (extremely aggravating), they gave me some stupid email address to send my complaints in hopes of getting someone to approve my request. After weeks of reaching out with no response and 45bucks out, I have sworn to never go back!!!!!...

P.S: I read similar compaints for some of their other stores too!
Duskydream

Santa Ana, CA

#64 Dec 27, 2011
Jonah wrote:
Wow! So many bad experiences everyone seems to have had. That not only frustrates me but irritates me as well. Me being a Cathy Jean Manager in CA I understand the value of outstanding customer service and quality of the product.
First what the consumer needs to understand is that when you shop at Cathy
Jean you need to go into it knowing these shoes are fun and trendy. They will not last you a lifetime but a few fun nights! Everyone knows that, thats why women love to shop there because they're getting a fun faboulous shoe for a great price! Lets face it, if your spending $350 on a pair of shoes they better last forever right? But $35? C'mon now, they're just for fun!
As far as bad experiences people have had in stores I feel really bad. While not an excuse, as a company we tend to hire High School age sales girls. This may only be their first or second job so while not a seasoned sales person you should still recieve great customer service. As far as management goes there is no excuse. I've been in sales for years and years and so has all the upper management so outstanding service and going the extra mile is definately something I pride myself and the staff on.
I hope women of all ages continue to shop at Cathy Jean because it is a great store and you can always find something fun cute and affordable there!!
I honestly hope you are joking. This corporation is a joke. They rob people of their hard earned money. I honestly hope you've found a better job or perhaps some counseling.
Upset in GA

Powder Springs, GA

#65 Jan 26, 2012
I have never had any problems with Cathy Jean until my daughter received a gift this year. The company shipped the wrong color and when I went to return the shoe, I was told I can only return it for the "exact same color and in one size up." Can you believe that? I have seant 3 emails and have not received a reply yet... we also sent 3 emails prior to receiving the item (when we realized they sent the wrong color) in the confirmation email. I am still waiting for a reply. The store customer service is ridiculous and my daughter has shoes she doesn't want. We are disputung it with the credit card company, because they are so unhelpful and negligent... but it would be nice to not have had to go to that extreme.

Also, when I asked for the name of the customer service rep. at the store, she told me that she "was not authorized" to give me her name? What in the world type of customer service is that? I called before I went up there and they told me it was okay to do the exchange... when I got there they changed their mind (I guess).

Does anybody have a phone number to customer service or someone I can speak to besides a customer service representative (from the store)?

Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Facebook Tue Peace Lover 2
News The most accurate climate change models are the... Dec 10 Jack Offandon 4
CSM new REAL ESTATE COURSES ...open now! (Upda... Nov 22 College of San Mateo 1
News 5-Year-Old Dies In Freak Horse Riding Accident (Oct '08) Nov '17 Vgolub 95
My Teen Verbally Abuses Me (Feb '09) Oct '17 Joe111 140
News Large hotel planned for downtown Redwood City Oct '17 Not a dumb liberal 2
News Last lap for Redwood Roller Rink Oct '17 Not a dumb liberal 2

Redwood City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance