Kilroy F Jones

United States

#21 Jul 27, 2007
I am a police officer in a community bordering Redford and I hope you take my advice...Redford Twp does have excellent police and fire services, however, If I were you I would not move my family to the area that you are considering as it is on the border of Redford and Detroit...I have nothing against Detroit per se (I hope it rebounds into a vibrant city) but speaking truthfully you are putting your family into a questionable area... I would seriously consider moving into north Dearborn Heights, Livonia, or Southfield which are in the same area...
Kilroy F Jones

United States

#22 Jul 28, 2007
By the way, I have relatives that live in Aurora, Il (a subdivision near Eola and Hafenrichter) and I am telling you honestly (having been to Aurora several times) that you will be greatly disappointed if you move to the area that you are considering...
Charles Carpenter

AOL

#23 Jul 28, 2007
Wow The guy that is a cop in a boardering community thinks Redford is bad ? Dearborn hgts has more crime than Redford poorer performing schools , Southfield has a similar problems ,By the way Mr I am a cop in a neigboring city Southfield is less than 2 miles from where this person is looking are you saying moving 2 miles is safer? South Redford is the place to be good housing stock great schools !! and the government is responsive after a 20 year run of do nothins ... Check out I trusttracey.com South Redford schools are great the High school Thurston was rated 94th best in the country .
Charles Carpenter

AOL

#24 Jul 28, 2007
lose_the_grim wrote:
The reason there are so many people moving out of Redford is easy. White flight. Sorry to say, but that's as close to the truth as can be. I've lived in Redford most of my life and except for the occasional punk kid it's pretty decent. I'd rather live here then Livonia.
WHITE FLIGHT !! How about Black flight the people white or black want quality in there homes and neighborhoods the want good schools. affordable taxes something Detroit and Southfield cant offer yes we are intergrated as society is but before you put away your sheet & Hood get your facts straight High home ownership !! good schools Good Government Itrusttracey.com check out whats going on in Redford Mr Troy ...
Kilroy F Jones

United States

#25 Jul 28, 2007
Hey Chuck...2 miles can make all the difference in the world. It is 2 miles from Five Points Street to the middle of Brightmoor, are you seriously saying that 2 miles can't make a difference? And do you really want to start comparing Southfield, Livonia and Farmington Hills (all within 2 miles of Five Points) with Redford Twp? Please, at least get all your dirt roads paved before you start comparing your Township with those cities. And by the way, in your posting you said "South Redford is the place to be" (way to steal Westland's City motto)...maybe you should look at a map of Redford, the last time I checked Five Points is in NORTH Redford!
Tom

United States

#26 Jul 29, 2007
I am a police officer for Redford and I would have to agree with Kilroy's assessment of the area in which Five Points is situated in. It is the border between our Twp and Detroit (between Puritan and 8 Mile) and I personally would not move my family there. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in Redford and love working there but I'm simply being honest when I say that it is a "questionable" area. Charles seems to be driven by a political agenda ( itrusttracey.com ?) and is not being intellectually honest.
Ted from Redford

AOL

#27 Aug 29, 2007
We have been in South Redford for 11 years and love it. However, the previous post is correct. The Five Points area is not that safe. South Redford is much better. As with any city, we have our good points and bad, but I feel very comfortable raising my kids here. For your own piece of mind, check out several areas before you sign any rental agrements. Welcome to Michigan!
Yeah right

AOL

#28 Sep 4, 2007
What a shock, someone who works for the township is supporting it! What about the rest of us who live here and cant stand it here?!?! Maybe if I worked for the township I would like it here too because I would most likely get the help I need removing the drug dealers from across the street and I most likely would not have had my house destroyed by the Redford Township Housing Rehabilitation program. Yes, you heard me right, they destroyed my house and after 4 years of fighting to get them to fix the problems THEY created we finally had no choice but to give up. Redford Township cant possibly care about the people who live here....actions speak louder than words! We are disgusted with Redford and cant wait to get out!!! We refuse to have our kids in Redford schools......Redford is so broke they had to close how many schools in order to repair the deficit??? And at the cost of our children....how wonderful! Yes yes, move here, what a wonderful city to bring your children to. You can buy and sell drugs all you want because the cops wont do a thing about it, dont worry about how your house and yard look because if you dont ruin it the city will do it for you, and dont worry about your kids, they will be destroyed by the overcrowded, understaffed Redford schools!!!!! Redford is awesome!!!!(and I know a lot of you will get a kick out of this one), lets talk about Redfords road repair! In one year alone we had to replace three tires INCLUDING three new rims (all at different times) due to all of the potholes and torn up streets. Dont tell me, the streets by Redford Township City Hall are fantastic arent they? Have you ever seen these guys repair the streets? Talk about entertainment. One drives the truck while the other walks very slowly next to to it, dropping tiny heaps of fresh blacktop onto the potholes. They dont bother packing it or leveling the surface, they wait for all of us to play steamroller and drive over it. Rather than the gravel packing down into the pothole it pops right back out again and the road is even bumpier. Take a drive down Delaware between 6 and 7 mile, while your at it, turn into Curtis too, drive pass Redford Union High. My kids have fallen out of their seats on the bus because the road is so bad! Saying they need to be resurfaced is an understatement. I think I am going to send my tire repair bills to the township from now on. Since my tax dollars are so hard at work I am thinking my tax dollars can fix the damage caused by the horrible road conditions. Anyone with me???
Tracey Schultz Kobylarz

United States

#29 Sep 6, 2007
Good morning all. "Can't we all just get along?" Redford Township is at a crossroad and it has nothing to do with our diverse race or socio-economic cultures. Those are qualities that make our community great!
The challenges we are faced with in Redford are similar to those of our surrounding communities: Livonia, Dearborn Heights, Southfield, Detroit and Farmington Hills. Those challenges include the need to do much more with much less funding, a shrinking economy, unemployment rates that are through the roof, and of course there are the increases in the daily cost of living... the list goes on and on.
The one thing we each have personal control over and the ability to change is character and integrity. It is the character and integrity of people demonstrated in the way we choose to work, play and live together that makes a community thrive or fail. I challenge everyone to do their part in modeling good moral character and acting with integrity in all that you do. Your behavior has a direct impact on everyone around you.
I encourage the readers of this forum to check out my website at www.itrusttracey.com and send me an email through the contact link. I do respond to every email that I receive.
G Knight

Sterling Heights, MI

#30 Sep 16, 2007
I am considering moving to Redford and have read all of these posts and I must say I am astonished. The area I am considering moving to is right off 5-mile between Telegraph and Beech Daly, Aubrey Street in particular. Let me give a little history. I lived in Detroit for 5 years and was forced to move due to a very bad incident. I thought I would move into a "better area" which was Southfield. Let me tell you something, other than the one incident (which was really very bad) I did not have many problems in Detroit. As soon as I moved to 'ritzy' Southfield I found out what 'bad' was all about. Two days before Xmas my townhouse was broken into and all of my cash and jewelry stolen (not to mention the house was ransacked as the criminals looked for more 'loot'), then the day before my daughter's birthday my truck window was shot out as the criminals attempted to steal a prada purse and leather coat that were in the back (luckily trailblazer windows are tough and the glass broke but did not cave in), then just 2 days ago someone made their way into my home once again and took more items. I am fed up! I pay an exhorbitant amount of money for rent. The schools are 'blue ribbon' so to speak, but my daughter has had more problems in school since we got here than at any other school she's been in. I was delighted to view this home on Aubrey Street in Redford and yes I paid particular attention to what type of activity was visible on the streets. I must say the neighborhood seemed very quiet, the neighbors very friendly (the type that seem a little nozy in a good way) and I could actually hear the birds chirping. No, everyone's lawn was not perfectly manicured, but in essence I had a good 'feel' for it. As far as the 'white flight' comment - it has been that type of ignorance that has plaqued Michigan cities for decades. I have no idea why people think what color your skin is has any thing to do with crime. There is crime everywhere and you are NEVER totally safe. The best you can do is educate your children and take part in your community! As far as everyone bashing Redford Schools, think about what some other public schools do not even offer these days. I went on the schools website and found that they have TONS of activities for children that Southfield does not even offer. And as for overcrowding...sadly that is a situation pretty much all public schools face. But that does not mean your child will not get a good education.
JME

Detroit, MI

#31 Sep 17, 2007
Wow - so sorry to hear such horrible things about a township I have lived in and raised my children in for the past 13 years. We basically don't have crime in our neighborhood and our school system is not as bad as some of you make it sound. No one is ever happy about everything all the time - but don't trash our neighborhood because you are in a bad mood today. Most of us 'wanting to move" from Redford are moving for a bigger house - and the only area nearby that I would consider is Livonia. But since the market across the USA is bad - not just Redford Township - we are staying and making due with the space we have. The school district is dealing with financial issues like MOST districts nearby -however, we in Redford Union have the benefit of the best Superintendent and some of the best teachers around. I would however, stay west of Beech Daly and south of 7 mile as the crime is less in these areas.
charles carpenter

AOL

#32 Sep 19, 2007
How many cops live in Redford 2 TOm you be honest on who you are . www.itrusttracey.com Redford streets are getting paved and for much less than other cities this is race baiting at its best ..I vote and Tracey has mine .....
Tom wrote:
I am a police officer for

Redford and I would have to agree with Kilroy's assessment of the area in which Five Points is situated in. It is the border between our Twp and Detroit (between Puritan and 8 Mile) and I personally would not move my family there. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in Redford and love working there but I'm simply being honest when I say that it is a "questionable" area. Charles seems to be driven by a political agenda ( itrusttracey.com ?) and is not being intellectually honest.
masart

United States

#33 Sep 20, 2007
I lived on Wormer off of Five Mile between Tele and Beech Daly. During the one year I lived there I witnesses rats the size of cats, a raid on the neighbor, my sister-n-law's car stereo, a robbery at the corner store and my cat getting shot. Things may have changed since 1999 but with the current economy the way it is I somehow doubt it. I have lived in Garden city, Westland, Canton, Dearborn Heights and Inkster and have to say I seen the most crime while living Redford.
masart

United States

#34 Sep 20, 2007
Ment "my sister-n-law's car stereo ripped off"

good luck

Since: Sep 07

Redford MI.

#35 Sep 27, 2007
Redford a great Township wrote:
Redford Twp. is a great place to live. It was voted by CNN as one of the top 25 safest communites in the US. Brand new splash Park for kids. Miles Handy, the Township Supervisor has paved more roads in his first two years in office as the previous supervisor did for 40 years. Downtown flower baskets rank up there with Royal Oak. Centrally located and safe. No place for bigets. The Supervisor has created many new community events such as Cinco de Mayo festival, Oktoberfest, 4th of July fireworks, and Christmas Parade. Hope this helps.
Are you Miles Handy? Maybe the only window your looking out of is the township offfice window. The community that extents past the 1/2 suare mile around the touwnship hall has gone down hill sinse Miles Handy has taken office. I also haven't seen the brass you speak of walking around outside that area either. handy has a history of sheltering himself from things that he may not like or want to deal with. He has a habit of only taking care of things that will benefit or make him look good or profit in some way. With the bad way our school districts are, has he ever been to a school board meeting to express his views or suggestions? the answer is NO! His kids don't use the school system so he doesn't really care. The roads in the township are in dire need of repair and replacement...so what happens to the funds from the grant? The roads in and around the township office look pretty good but many outside that area are ignored. If he doesn't have to drive them on the way to work...he doesn't care what happens to them...blame it on someone else. Many questions (from board meetings ect..) directed to Mr. Handy go unanswered. If it doesn't directly affect him he takes no resposibilty. Years ago (when Handy wasn't the supervisor) Redford residents at least knew where they stood, the community as a whole was safer, the school districts had high expectations and money was smartly dispursed where needed. I wish I could see Mr. Handy on the street to shake his hand...but If you don't spend all of your time hanging around the township building, agreeing with him or helping him look out for his oun interest the chances of that are not very good. I and many people in the community have to many times been ignored by Mr. Handy when question about certain things in the township. That is not the job as an township employee and the township of Redford will continue to go down hill as long as Mr. Handy is trying to act as supervisor. Open your eyes and look a little farther than you narrow minded perceptions!!!
MANDIEE

AOL

#36 Mar 15, 2008
I LIVED IN REDFORD ALL MY LIVE AND IM MOVING NEXT YEAR! I RECENTLY MOVED IN TO A RENTAL HOME ON BEECH DALY IN REDFORD AND THE TOWNSHIP WONT TAKE ACTION AGAIST THE RATS RUNNING AROUND OUTSIDE, THEY ARE THE SIZE OF CATS AND IM AFRAID ILL GET BIT.IF I LIVED ELSE WHERE REDFORDS THE LAST PLACE ID MOVE TO! AND NEXT TO ME IS A HOUSE FOR SALE, LAST TIME IT SNOWED I NOTICED FOOTPRINTS UP TO ALL THE BACK WINDOWS....N SAW ALL THE SCREENS HAD BEEN RIPPED OUT THE WINDOWS.SOMEONE WAS TRYING TO BREAK IN AND I HAD TO CALL THE POLICE.AND HELL DONT GET ME STARTED ABOUT HOW BAD THE ROADS ARE,POTHOLES SO BIG THEY'LL RUIN YOUR CAR......IVE BEEN SAVING MY PENNYS TO GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE. I DONT FEEL SAFE WHEN IM HOME ALONE.

Since: Mar 08

Redford Twp

#37 Mar 19, 2008
thats too bad that you dont feel safe. I have lived in redford for 20 years and yes its not the greatest but, I do feel safe. And the police and Fire are Great. And Miles has done alot of good for the twp. Every city has their problems. not everyone is going to be happy and thats just the way it is.
ready to move too

United States

#38 Apr 21, 2008
MANDIEE wrote:
I LIVED IN REDFORD ALL MY LIVE AND IM MOVING NEXT YEAR! I RECENTLY MOVED IN TO A RENTAL HOME ON BEECH DALY IN REDFORD AND THE TOWNSHIP WONT TAKE ACTION AGAIST THE RATS RUNNING AROUND OUTSIDE, THEY ARE THE SIZE OF CATS AND IM AFRAID ILL GET BIT.IF I LIVED ELSE WHERE REDFORDS THE LAST PLACE ID MOVE TO! AND NEXT TO ME IS A HOUSE FOR SALE, LAST TIME IT SNOWED I NOTICED FOOTPRINTS UP TO ALL THE BACK WINDOWS....N SAW ALL THE SCREENS HAD BEEN RIPPED OUT THE WINDOWS.SOMEONE WAS TRYING TO BREAK IN AND I HAD TO CALL THE POLICE.AND HELL DONT GET ME STARTED ABOUT HOW BAD THE ROADS ARE,POTHOLES SO BIG THEY'LL RUIN YOUR CAR......IVE BEEN SAVING MY PENNYS TO GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE. I DONT FEEL SAFE WHEN IM HOME ALONE.
I live very close to you and I can empathize about the rat situation! I have lived in the twp for my whole life (28 years) and I have never seen anything like this. I am FED UP with the rats! I have emailed the twp several times and I don't even get the dignity of a reply to my inquiries. I finally had to go to the Dept of Public Works and sign a waiver for a rat box - a nice big yellow box that says 'rat box' on it really big so that everyone that looks in my yard knows what it is - and then and only then did anyone acknowledge that this is a REAL problem in the WHOLE twp. What a surprise!
I'm sure that it is worse on this end because of the old nursing home, that sat vacant for so long, finally being torn down. They drove the rats out of their home and they've migrating towards my house ever since. I have friends that live on Beech Daly, north of me that saw the rats a few months before we did. So, my question is, how is the township going to combat a problem that they won't publicly admit having? Wouldn't educating all of the neighbors about the rats and the availability of rat boxes (which I heard they are having tons built)? Why not come forward and show some concern for our health and the health of our children that want to play outside? It's so frustrating! I get really upset when they are dumping money into the downtown area and not combating the rodent problem or fixing the roads (beyond coal-patching). A friend of mine overheard someone that knows Miles really well, saying that people aren't supposed to have edible gardens this year (so they don't feed the rats). It's common sense, but I have yet to see this anywhere. The closest thing to acknowledgment that I have seen was in the Redford Connection; it was a little blurb from a twp inspector (Mike something) reminding residents to clean up after their dogs because the feces is a delicacy to the rats. Oh, what was that, rats? Where? What? Come on! Get with it, provide resources for the residents here. It's no wonder why there are 9 houses for sale on my BLOCK!
URGH!
Any suggestions? When is the next township meeting. I should maybe go and speak up. Anyone else that is fed up with the rats that is willing to go and be heard?

Since: Sep 07

Redford MI.

#39 Apr 23, 2008
Go to hometown life forums and see what's up? A couple of people there don't want to admit to things also.
blob

Keego Harbor, MI

#40 Apr 26, 2008
Joe111 wrote:
<quoted text> Today there was a Triple Shooting on Beech Daly Rd and Grand River Ave in Redford, MI. So Its Bad!
no there wasnt stop lieing you jerk

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
An emergency drill at St. Mary Mercy Hospital i... 1 hr Steve 1
Sgt. David Kutek retired Redford police arreste... (Nov '11) 11 hr WATCHING LIVONIA 61
livonia business man chris martin getting haras... 11 hr WATCHING LIVONIA 10
Ex-Romulus Police Chief sentenced for corruption 21 hr Paul 6
Review: Edwards Plumbing And Heating 21 hr Paul 2
UPDATE 1-Russia's Severstal sells U.S. plants t... Mon eire88 11
More Lab Tests Needed On Body Of Detroit Boy Oct 27 Steve 4
Redford Dating
Find my Match

Redford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Redford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Redford

Personal Finance