What is Redfore, MI really like?

Posted in the Redford Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Glendale Heights, IL

#1 Jun 6, 2007
My husband and I live in Aurora, IL, about an hour from Chicago. We are moving to Michigan and looking at renting a house on Five Points St. in Redford, MI. We have a 2 year old and want to know if it's a nice/safe area? If you have any suggestions or comments I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks~

Since: Jun 07

Glendale Heights, IL

#2 Jun 6, 2007
Oops, I meant Redford!
Miserable in Redford

AOL

#3 Jun 7, 2007
I will be brave enough to answer this....

First off let me start by saying welcome to MI and we LOVE michigan! However, we dont feel the same about Redford and would do just about anything to get OUT. I am sorry to answer with such a negative. If you dont want to take my word for it just look up how many houses have gone up for sale over the past two years. IMO 95% of those have nothing to do with the economy and job losses. I personally know 13 families with children who have already left and/or have houses for sale and that was just this year alone! I hope I helped more than caused problems. I am sure there are a lot of people who will disagree with me...pay attention to the facts....look at how many people are leaving this city! Redford citizens didnt cause this, Redford caused it....I hope that makes sense!
ccm

Ann Arbor, MI

#4 Jun 7, 2007
Do you know exactly between what main roads on Five Points, it does make a difference.
lose_the_grim

Plymouth, MN

#5 Jun 22, 2007
The reason there are so many people moving out of Redford is easy. White flight. Sorry to say, but that's as close to the truth as can be. I've lived in Redford most of my life and except for the occasional punk kid it's pretty decent. I'd rather live here then Livonia.
Joe111

Waterford, MI

#6 Jun 26, 2007
kered_aryn wrote:
My husband and I live in Aurora, IL, about an hour from Chicago. We are moving to Michigan and looking at renting a house on Five Points St. in Redford, MI. We have a 2 year old and want to know if it's a nice/safe area? If you have any suggestions or comments I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks~
Today there was a Triple Shooting on Beech Daly Rd and Grand River Ave in Redford, MI. So Its Bad!
Westland 1

Farmington, MI

#7 Jun 26, 2007
Five points is the border between Detroit & Redford. West side is Redford & east side of the street is Detroit. Sorry to say this lose the grim. I will take Livonia any day over Redford. There are alot of trashy areas in Redford. South Redford is really the best. But yoy still have to be careful there. I would say come to the area during the day & night & check it out before you rent anything. Good Luck
REDFORD FAN

United States

#8 Jun 26, 2007
I think Redford is a wonderful township. Our city services are the finest and compare to all adjoining cities. The teachers in the public schools are not as good as in most other public school systems. The city itself is the a great value. Affordable housing, close to shopping and freeways, great parks and low taxes.
Westland 1

Farmington, MI

#9 Jun 28, 2007
well the teacher part would scare the hell out of me. Why would you say that. These people have a child. I will compare Livonia's city services any day compared to Redford's. Miles Handy is an idiot & let's talk about nepotism. It runs rampant now that he is in office.
REDFORD FAN

Jeddo, MI

#10 Jun 28, 2007
Westland 1 wrote:
well the teacher part would scare the hell out of me. Why would you say that. These people have a child. I will compare Livonia's city services any day compared to Redford's. Miles Handy is an idiot & let's talk about nepotism. It runs rampant now that he is in office.
Why would that scare the hell out of you? Private schools are the only way to go in most public school systems - From what I see, Redford just seems to have the most lazy, unqualified, bottom of the barrel educators IMHO.
Husband lived there

Savannah, GA

#11 Jun 28, 2007
My husband lived in Redoford for most of his life and he loves it there. His Dad, Brother, and Sister-in-law all live there and they all love it too. Any city can be bad in certain parts. (they all live off of West Chicago and Tellegraph).
Greg

Van Nuys, CA

#12 Jun 29, 2007
kered_aryn wrote:
I have lived in redford for 15 yrs.5points is the border of detroit and redford. between 5 mile and 8 mile it is very dangserous. bad people from detroit sneak in rob beatup etc and run back into detroit the redford police don't do to much to stop it these streets. after dark i wouldn't walk down the steet alone and I'm a 40 yr old male. Oh yeah there are roaming groups of youths that break windows and steal things from. If you don't have any experience dealing with people like this I'd think 2 times before I signed anything.
Greg

Van Nuys, CA

#13 Jun 29, 2007
Westland 1 wrote:
Like his sister getting all the sweetheart deals on real estate. Redford is the most corrupt city in wayne county
Old Lady
#14 Jun 30, 2007
If you are looking for affordable housing look at Westland or Garden City. Redford can be rough. I wouldn't move there with a child. It will only get worse as our economy tanks.There are also areas on the East side. As with all large metropolisis the older parts can get run down and abandoned.
sam

London, OH

#15 Jun 30, 2007
can i get ur phone number if u can send it to my email
[email protected]
i live in farmington hills
Redford a great Township

Farmington, MI

#16 Jul 13, 2007
Redford Twp. is a great place to live. It was voted by CNN as one of the top 25 safest communites in the US. Brand new splash Park for kids. Miles Handy, the Township Supervisor has paved more roads in his first two years in office as the previous supervisor did for 40 years. Downtown flower baskets rank up there with Royal Oak. Centrally located and safe. No place for bigets. The Supervisor has created many new community events such as Cinco de Mayo festival, Oktoberfest, 4th of July fireworks, and Christmas Parade. Hope this helps.
Cynthia

Detroit, MI

#17 Jul 13, 2007
WOW !!!I am blown away with all of the negative comments aimed at Redford. I have lived in the township for 12 years. Both in North Redford prior to a divorce and now in South Redford which I like best. I'm a single female and feel perfectly safe here. I'm very happy here and wonder if these folks with the
"bad reviews" are speaking from true experience or bigoted viewpoints. Yes, it is a working class racially diverse community and this is a good thing. The township police and services are tops and I would rather live here than in Livonia and certainly Westland anyday. Is it a race issue or a issue of "is this a good community for a family"? This makes me sad to hear because this is why we are in this bad place with race relations today. If you are to judge folks. Judge on basis of are your neighbors good people or jerks ? Not on the basis of race !
ccm

Ann Arbor, MI

#18 Jul 13, 2007
I wouldn't move to redford if I didn't have to especially with a child. All true what Greg from Rochester says. I grew up in Livonia and work in Redford and can't believe the change for the worst that I have seen in the last 10 years in Redford.
ccm

Ann Arbor, MI

#19 Jul 13, 2007
Race has nothing to do with it. I've seen both white and blacks acting like punk criminals. Intimidating older folks (you know the ones who practically started the city when it was clean and safe) Groups of hoodlums walking down the street at all hours, pants half falling off, talking like trash, and just flat out up to no good half the time. Nobody with any class at all wants to be exposed to crap like that.
Tracey Schultz Kobylarz

AOL

#20 Jul 27, 2007
Redford is a great community! I am happy to hear you are considering our township. If I can be of any assistance to you or anyone else regarding my hometown - please contact me directly at [email protected]

Tracey Schultz Kobylarz
Redford Township Trustee
www.itrusttracey.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Detroit teen charged in Livonia home invasion 6 hr Badam 4
AK Steel/UAW contract 9 hr Iron Man 23
Another lawsuit Tue WATCHING LIVONIA 3
Anyone know May 21 Brad 1
News At long last! Dunkin Donuts on Plymouth Road opens May 19 Karen N Kennedy 3
News Woman steals cleaning supplies, starts chase May 18 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
Marquette Elementary 3rd grade 73-74 (Jan '11) May 16 Jonathan Findley 4

Redford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Redford Mortgages