Wayne-Westland gets state aid for raz...

Wayne-Westland gets state aid for razing former Inkster school

There are 15 comments on the Observer & Eccentric story from Apr 16, 2014, titled Wayne-Westland gets state aid for razing former Inkster school. In it, Observer & Eccentric reports that:

Three western Wayne County school districts are getting additional assistance from the state in addressing unanticipated expenses related to the dissolution of the Inkster School District last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer & Eccentric.

kev

Taylor, MI

#1 Apr 17, 2014
How efficient r these districts? We keep hearing of demolishin. Where i used to live in lorain ohio a new state of the art high school is being built. About same size city as taylor. CCouldn't taylor or others school districts use a new high school to utilize efficiency? What is being done wrong in michigan compared to ohio in priorities? Something to ponder.taxes need to be used efficiently. How is the future being looked at in this region compared to that region? Also city next to it,elyria has new high school. Is that all that some of these cities thinks of is keeping on using outdated buildings to keep salaries and pensions way above others who have better facilities? The taxpayers have a right to have school buildings as good as lorain county ohio.
kev

Taylor, MI

#2 Apr 17, 2014
To get a complete description and overview of this new state of the art high school in lorain ohio, look on internet. (New lorain high school) this school district is how many michigan school districts should be prioritized. They r looking to americas future.
kev

Taylor, MI

#3 Apr 17, 2014
I also looked and compared income of city of lorain oh and taylor mi. Lorain makes much less money than taylor yet their public schools r going to be less than 15 years old. Again what is being done wrong in this region to where school facilities can't be updated or new schools added. Too many excuses and not enough answers plaque the public school region. When i moved from lorain ohio in october 1977 to taylor i was shocked at how taylor center was run compared to southview high school. They were cutting school atletic programs etc. In taylor.the teachers didn't seem to care about well being of students.if finances were distributed adequately and fair.,taylor could have efficient schools and facilities. Relying on state funding and federal safer grants should only be done in extreme situations. In many aspects taylor and other cities r way behind the times. Remember the old saying ....BEE PROUD! Lol
kev

Taylor, MI

#4 Apr 18, 2014
It also details on " lorain new high school" how they went about over the years funding these new schools. Folks we here in many cities in this region are not getting any value for these tax dollars. These are public schools. It goes to show when a state and cities/ counties work together on getting things done efficiently, it can be done. Just look up this web address and. Write your state senator and ask them why michigan can't. Cooperate and get better state of the art public schools. They don't even bbring up charter school bologna.if it works there it can work in Michigan but not the way they waste and allocate money here.
Jethro

Singapore, Singapore

#5 Apr 20, 2014
Folk in Taylor don't need better high schools. Them kids can move straight from grade school at 17 and right into fast food and faster womens. There's lawn care and baby sitting too. Lots of babies. As far as charter school bologna, never tried non but sounds good.
kev

Toledo, OH

#6 Apr 20, 2014
Jethro wrote:
Folk in Taylor don't need better high schools. Them kids can move straight from grade school at 17 and right into fast food and faster womens. There's lawn care and baby sitting too. Lots of babies. As far as charter school bologna, never tried non but sounds good.
Speak fer yourself jethro.did u look up" new lorain high school" on web and see how they went about strategizing the funding for these new public schools years ago?
A little joking is ok when appropriate. This is a serious subject about spending tax revenue money wisely locally. Not a joking matter. Remember,other vountries were buikt up after wwII from usa strategies. Why let these regions waste local tax property revenue when they also could compete with Lorain ohio and other cities with modern public school facilities? When A corporal police officer retires after 20 years with $84,000,and a colonel in u.s. air force retires after 30 years with $40,000,something is drastically wrong! What does same police in elyria ohio or lorain retire with? They have something to show taxpayers.MODERN EFFICIENT PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDINGS! Lorain ohio demographic shows average person there makes around $10,000 less a year in this unglamorous ccity.yet they have much moremodern public schools.why is that?
kev

Toledo, OH

#7 Apr 22, 2014
And until this new ultra modern high school is completed,they r using southview high school built in 1969. But when i went there it looked great. They call it the "new old high school" they have fixed roof and other things until moving to new place.how cool is this!?
Jethro

Dublin, Ireland

#8 Apr 23, 2014
kev wrote:
And until this new ultra modern high school is completed,they r using southview high school built in 1969. But when i went there it looked great. They call it the "new old high school" they have fixed roof and other things until moving to new place.how cool is this!?
I made an ash tray in wood shop. It went up in smoke.
kev

Toledo, OH

#9 Apr 23, 2014
Jethro wrote:
<quoted text>
I made an ash tray in wood shop. It went up in smoke.
Ha! Lol. Where can i come to see your comedy skit?
Ed Solomon

United States

#10 May 4, 2014
kev wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! Lol. Where can i come to see your comedy skit?
It's in Lorain Ohio at the high school. They have everything don't you know?
kevin

Toledo, OH

#11 May 4, 2014
Well they certainly have a cutting edge high school in works in this poorer city. They have strategized and used taxes smart and efficient. Other cities who have outrageous pensions and salaries really don't have the money to pay this when u consider not having modern schools. Keep deceiving public and let's just keep money flowing in pockets while not investing wisely in public school facilities. Who has the last laugh. This is 2014 and lorain has public school buildings that can meet the future. Remember, its our taxes!!
Tim Sivik

Kearney, NE

#12 May 7, 2014
Fight on, you Mighty Titans,
Silver and blue
for Lorain High School
Loyal, Brave, and True

On the march to victory,
Noble and strong
To Lorain High School
We raise our song
Santana Lopez

United States

#13 May 8, 2014
We are the girls from Norfolk
We don't drink or smoke
Norfolk Norfolk
Judy Justice

United States

#14 May 14, 2014
kev wrote:
I also looked and compared income of city of lorain oh and taylor mi. Lorain makes much less money than taylor yet their public schools r going to be less than 15 years old. Again what is being done wrong in this region to where school facilities can't be updated or new schools added. Too many excuses and not enough answers plaque the public school region. When i moved from lorain ohio in october 1977 to taylor i was shocked at how taylor center was run compared to southview high school. They were cutting school atletic programs etc. In taylor.the teachers didn't seem to care about well being of students.if finances were distributed adequately and fair.,taylor could have efficient schools and facilities. Relying on state funding and federal safer grants should only be done in extreme situations. In many aspects taylor and other cities r way behind the times. Remember the old saying ....BEE PROUD! Lol
It isnt so much that there is anything wrong with Taylor schools as it is that they acquired another nearly whole district of students added to their own! The tragic part is that if Gov Shnyder could alocate funding to Taylor for this project WHY wouldnt he have alocated the money to the Inkster School District so they could stay open? The schools in Inkster are actually quite nice. The buildings are well maintained and modern (with the exception of the older unused for years ones)!
gandhi

Toledo, OH

#15 May 16, 2014
Taylor will get extra state funding. The state should require that they r effective when using this money.i was thinking same thing myself. In taylor public schools seem to be at bottom of priority. Sportsplex, golf course lakes of taylor, big courthouse,newest high school is truman,which is underperformed.
They cried when lamarand was going to cut unneeded firefighters. They snatched $8.1 million from feds with hardly a debate. When i went to high school there in late 70's they were happy to just put u through.i got some goofy letter from some politician congratulating me for just graduating.taylor has nice neighborhoods , but i question their school aging infrastructure.
I was upset when i left southview high in lorain oh to go to taylor center.but what could i do.?i was glad to just exit that place forever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
livonia messing with chris martin but let the ... Fri Huel Gibbons 2
Redford Police (Jan '08) Fri Huel Gibbons 217
Moving to Redford, advice please. Fri Justme 9
News Another Detroit area doctor charged in female g... Apr 27 Saw 2
News Owner accused of selling drugs at party story (Oct '09) Apr 27 Grace55 188
News Doctor, wife in genital mutilation case want ou... Apr 26 watching livonia 1
News Nets Still Ignore: More Arrests in U.S. Female ... Apr 25 watching livonia 1

Redford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Redford Mortgages