College fired instructor for calling ...

College fired instructor for calling Adam & Eve a fairy tale

There are 5 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Sep 27, 2007, titled College fired instructor for calling Adam & Eve a fairy tale. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

A community college instructor says he was fired after he told students that the Bible's story of Adam and Eve is a fairy tale that should not be interpreted literally.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

Kevin

Plant City, FL

#1 Sep 27, 2007
How can we as a people advance if we still live in the dark ages of superstition?Must this guy defend every superstision when the disscusion comes about.Would he have lost his job if he said Budda,or Allah,Santa Claus ,or Zues, or Peter Rabbit was a fairy tale?
I thought there was a clean cut between church and state.We would be a peacefull world if everyone believed in THEMSELVES.Please don't respond to me with biblical quotes.
I said it and what

Clermont, FL

#2 Sep 28, 2007
im with you Kevin. There should be a clean line between the two and this apparently isnt so.
Friend from afar

Green Valley, AZ

#3 Nov 12, 2007
These people are in college, adults.... period. They should be old enough by now to believe what they were taught as children by thier families.
Who cares what he said, it doesn't justify firing him. Things in this country are just getting out of hand. Freedom of speech will now land you in jail, prison, out of a job and/or dead.

Sometimes I'd rather live in a cave in Iraq rather than this country where you basically have to have permission even think differently than others.

Mormons are just a cult.

Oh my gosh, lets see how fast that turns into WW III.
I was in his class-WOW

Omaha, NE

#4 Dec 3, 2007
I was in Steve Bitterman's Western Civilization class up until he got fired. I don't think the whole story got told, because in my mind it wasn't so much as having your own beliefs and opinion in his class as it was that you felt attacked and belittled everytime you spoke in his class. He would ask you for your opinion and then attack you, he yelled at students and laughed at them blatantly. He was one of the rudest, most pompeous, arrogant, self absorbed asshole teachers that I ever got the displeasure to encounter. I am glad he got fired. I am open-minded and believe everyone is entitled to their own faith, beliefs, opinions whatever, but this guy is a whack-job. I feel sorry for his students at Metro Community College in Omaha, NE where I'm sure he is making their lives miserable as well. My condolences.
Einsrtein

Bradenton, FL

#5 Dec 3, 2007
What happened to Academic Freedom?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Red Oak Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Iowa Sheriff Arrested On Suspicion Of Domestic ... (Nov '07) Mar '16 James Sokolov 12
News Body Found in Well ID'd as Missing Red Oak Woman (Dec '06) Nov '14 Space Ghost 9
News Montgomery County, Iowa Sheriff Arrested for Do... (Nov '07) Jul '14 Doreen 46
News Man who threatened to set woman on fire out of ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Not a fan of Bruce 1
amy sue (Feb '14) Feb '14 mercedes 1
Red Oak Shopko (Aug '13) Aug '13 mogambler 1
Amanda Deiterin (May '13) May '13 lol 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Red Oak Mortgages