Tehama County Board vote irks county ...

Tehama County Board vote irks county employees

There are 49 comments on the Red Bluff Daily News story from Feb 17, 2011, titled Tehama County Board vote irks county employees. In it, Red Bluff Daily News reports that:

Tehama County Supervisors met with disdain from dozens of county workers Tuesday as supervisors implemented an increase in employee-share payments to the California Public Employees' Retirement System, or CalPERS, for some 500 employees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Red Bluff Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Aaron Snodgrass

Anderson, CA

#1 Feb 17, 2011
The Democratic-controlled Legislature in California has spent the past decade spending tax money (our tax money) buying votes from Public Employee Unions, Welfare Recipients and Illegal Aliens through bloated pensions and social programs. Now, after it has become abundantly clear that they have spent money they don't, and never will, have, they are letting our Supervisors and City Councilmen catch the flack for having to control our Legislature's bloated spending habits.

Way to go Supes!
Fideo

United States

#2 Feb 17, 2011
Why would anyone think all they had to do was put in 25 years or so on a job and be free from ever worrying about making any provision for their own medical expenses or retirement? It's 2011 and we are going broke!
Run the County like a business and not a nurse sow.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#3 Feb 17, 2011
Get used to it public sector.

The Federal, State and local governments are running on printed paper and the private sector worker is unemployed or running on fumes.

Spin it all you want, that's the bottom line.
APOV

Yreka, CA

#4 Feb 17, 2011
While I agree that there needs to be belt tightening, I would like for one of the five Supes to answer this.

With the 3% now being paid by the employees, how much of a savings is that to the County's General Fund?

There is an awful lot of money that runs through the county coffers that is not discretionary money, meaning that it can't just be put into the general fund to be spent for any little program the board wants to.

Maybe the BOS could explain just how much of the money they have saved by this latest action can be used to make the general fund more whole.

Will they be able to hire more deputies? What can they do with the savings?

If they can't maybe this little dog and pony show was more for theatrics and window dressing than anything else?

Public employees are becoming the modern day Visa Goths and this budget issue was brought on by more than just them but they are the only ones paying for it.
craig

United States

#5 Feb 17, 2011
APOV wrote:
While I agree that there needs to be belt tightening, I would like for one of the five Supes to answer this.
With the 3% now being paid by the employees, how much of a savings is that to the County's General Fund?
There is an awful lot of money that runs through the county coffers that is not discretionary money, meaning that it can't just be put into the general fund to be spent for any little program the board wants to.
Maybe the BOS could explain just how much of the money they have saved by this latest action can be used to make the general fund more whole.
Will they be able to hire more deputies? What can they do with the savings?
If they can't maybe this little dog and pony show was more for theatrics and window dressing than anything else?
Public employees are becoming the modern day Visa Goths and this budget issue was brought on by more than just them but they are the only ones paying for it.
Only about 17% of the 500 employees that are taking a cut will their money go into the general fund, the rest of the employees will be having their money go back to the dept for which they work.
Gary

Chico, CA

#6 Feb 17, 2011
Admin and Personnel will not be taking the cuts and paying more PERS. There contract has them getting a raise. They make the rules but do not follow them. Blind leading the blind.
Dave Slimmer

Chico, CA

#7 Feb 18, 2011
Fideo wrote:
Why would anyone think all they had to do was put in 25 years or so on a job and be free from ever worrying about making any provision for their own medical expenses or retirement? It's 2011 and we are going broke!
Tehama County rank & file employees lose all their health benefits apon retirement. No matter how many years employed.
Peon

Shasta Lake, CA

#8 Feb 18, 2011
Gary wrote:
Admin and Personnel will not be taking the cuts and paying more PERS. There contract has them getting a raise. They make the rules but do not follow them. Blind leading the blind.
This latest action was to preserve the general fund. Most of the employees affected by this action are not paid out of the general fund. Their cuts will not only NOT help the general fund but their portion will go back to the departments to which they work so their admin can have more raises and continue to have their retirements paid for which the rank and file employee have not seen for quite some time. Please remember, the benefits provided to the public sector are sacrificed for and bargained for over the course of many many years of forgoing raises or taking reduced raises in order to maybe have a pitance to retire on. Most raised too, have been merely COLAs that don't even equal the rate of inflation. Tehama Countys coffers are in very good shape largely due to their employees being amongst the lowest if not the lowest paid employees in the state. When people refer to the fat retirements of public employees please address that to administative personnel who have much better bargaining units than the rank and file. Ask Mr Goodwin, who by the way is funded 100% out of the 'struggling' general fund, if he will be contributing his share of his PERS retirement to ease the burden on that fund or if the county will continue paying his share.. After all, he is worth soooo much more than the rest of us that he should be above what he asks the rest of his employees to contribute. I think this pill would have been easier to swallow if the so called leaders of our community would also contribute or sascrifice what they impose on their employees.
Peon

Shasta Lake, CA

#9 Feb 18, 2011
Fideo wrote:
Really? I am not aware of any Tehama Co (non admin) retired employees who have medical benefits after retirement. I am aware of many employees still working after age 67 only because they need medical benefits.
Justin Case

Redding, CA

#10 Feb 18, 2011
Come on employees, only a 3% contribution to your more than generous benefits. Your attitude is appalling from a tax payers viewpoint. You should be ashamed of yourselves. If such a small contribution really annoys you I suggest you quit and find a better job.
Guestinator

Redding, CA

#11 Feb 18, 2011
If I were physically able I would run for Supervisor on the platform that all management employees at the County are overpaid by 20% and I would win, hands down. People are fed up with the generous benefits and salaries that County Officials receive.
Mr Helpful

Redding, CA

#12 Feb 18, 2011
As an example of the disregard for the public's money the Sheriff orders better food supplied,(3 meals a day) to the inmates and jail employees than the Schools have for their lunch only programs. This rubs me wrong at many levels. For one; why are the taxpayers paying for jail employee meals? They get a generous salary and they have the old, I hurt myself on the job, excuse for untaxed disability benefits. Remember Retired CHP Commissioner Spike Helmick? What a piece of work that guy turned out to be.
The people have to be heard and if they are ignored there may be unintended consequences.
mullethaid

Atlanta, GA

#13 Feb 18, 2011
Justin Case wrote:
Come on employees, only a 3% contribution to your more than generous benefits. Your attitude is appalling from a tax payers viewpoint. You should be ashamed of yourselves. If such a small contribution really annoys you I suggest you quit and find a better job.
yeah! geez they should pay for all of their own benifits!! Man are you an IDIOT!!! the people that are getting screwed here are our friends and neighbors in tehama county the ones doing the damage are management like Bill Goodwin we should send him packing back to Shasta County where he came from! Come on people how long are we going to keep letting idiots like this TAKE TAKE TAKE !!?? Please don't idiots like Justin Case influence your view. Our county employees deserve better. They gave up 7% in wages years ago for their PERS. Now they get a 3% cut!!? Our county is not in the red, just check how much we pay our count officials!
craig

United States

#14 Feb 18, 2011
Justin Case wrote:
The 3% is not 3% of the amount of money that is paid into the PERS Retirement fund, on behalf of the employee, but is almost 50% of the employee's contribution. They gave up raises years ago, with the belief that the county would continue to pay the share that they agreed upon in those contracts of that time and place.
Peon

Shasta Lake, CA

#15 Feb 18, 2011
Justin Case wrote:
Are you a county employee? I have worked for the public sector and the private sector. Private sector pays better, and has better benefits. That was my experience. Why did I leave private sector? Because I was tired of the way my employer treated it's employees and of everything being about the almighty dollar. Why did I take the job I am at? Because I like being of service to my community. I like my job and I was promised certain things if I brought my experience to this county. Just like anyone else could do. Anyone can choose to apply for a public service job. Public service has taken its' hits too. Many public employees also are laid off and looking for work. Like I said, my salary is not paid out of the general fund but I am being told I have to give up something I was given when I was hired because the general fund is deficient. A) it is not deficient, B) my contribution will not go to the general fund. C) as I said, Bill Goodwin is paid 100% out of the general fund, probably 3-4Xs most of my coworkers salaries, Why does Bill not believe HE should be giving back to the 'deficient' general fund? Is it too much to ask of him? I love my job and I will be here until I am eligible for Medicare as I will have to work, at barely above minimum wage until then as then hopefully I will have my medical paid for by Social Security if it is even there. Oh, and when I turn 69 and retire, I plan on working part time to supplement my 'generous' pers retirment.
craig

United States

#16 Feb 18, 2011
Peon, it is nice to read from somebody that is more articulate than I am. Most people don't realize that most public employees are paid way less than the private sector pays. Management and mid-management do get paid good wages, for a public sector job, but it comes nowhere close to what the private sector pays to people in those same type of positions. I do agree that management and mid-management should have to take the same cuts that the rank and file employees are having forced upon them.
The city of Red Bluff has people in management positions, that aren't qualified, because when they put those jobs out, they couldn't even get anyone to apply for them, because of the wage that they offered. So, they just promoted the next person up to the title of dept director and then paid them a wage that was a little bit better than what they had been getting.

“Han, mah bukee, keel-ee caleya”

Since: Feb 11

Dairyville

#17 Feb 18, 2011
All I can say is that those 500 votes would have swayed the elections. Did you vote for any of these people??? Do any of those 500 people live in bob williams' district?? he ran unopposed, you know. You get what you pay for (in active participation and thinking beyond the elk's lodge when you vote)
Respectful Effort

Durham, CA

#18 Feb 18, 2011
craig wrote:
Most people don't realize that most public employees are paid way less than the private sector pays.
Can you prove this? The facts and figures are out there. In nearly every case someone has made this statement it's been proven false.

Name a FEW positions that have counter parts in the private sector and what they're being paid...we'll see.
Linda Hansen

United States

#19 Feb 18, 2011
I was unable to attend this meeting because I was providing the service I do for the county. Yes, we are all in this together-so, how has the County administration been affected?? How many of the Aministration employees have been lost or cut back? How many have taken cuts to their salaries? Most county departments have lost staff, have taken cuts to salaries and the remaining staff expected to do the work of 2-3 people. We are the people who provide the services, we are the ones who are bearing the heaviest brunt of the poor economy when we are not responsible for the economic problems. How are we going to help this failing economy when we continue to lose our spendable income?
craig

United States

#20 Feb 18, 2011
Respectful Effort wrote:
<quoted text>Can you prove this? The facts and figures are out there. In nearly every case someone has made this statement it's been proven false.
Name a FEW positions that have counter parts in the private sector and what they're being paid...we'll see.
How do I prove this. Well lets see, while I was the arborist for the City, I made $17.52 per hour, and the part timer that worked with me, made $10.51 per hour. So for an 8 hour day, we got paid $224.24 for a days work. We would call in a tree service to take care of a tree that we didn't have the equipment for or the city wasn't willing to accept theliabilty for, and they would charge from $900 -$1600 for the same work that we did, but they wouldn't be there for anymore than a few hours, and the city would do all the clean up. Don't tell me that those in the private sector make less than public employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Red Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Hanks donates to Red Bluff State Theatre (Jan '10) May 29 Lori 42
Lowes False Advertising May 27 Lowes Not Honorin... 1
News Letter to Editor: Regarding sheriff questions (Apr '10) May 20 Familymember 20
kelly and brian merritt May 19 wonder 1
Protest Redding Electric Utility Increase May 15 Advocate 1
News Man pleads no contest in fatal Los Molinos traf... May 12 bcnu 2
Barking Dogs in the neighborhood (Jul '14) May 10 misschris 6
More from around the web

Red Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]