Don Polson The way I see it: Freedom ...

Don Polson The way I see it: Freedom challenged on this Presidents Day

There are 110 comments on the Red Bluff Daily News story from Feb 21, 2011, titled Don Polson The way I see it: Freedom challenged on this Presidents Day. In it, Red Bluff Daily News reports that:

Don Polson has called Red Bluff home since 1988, is a past president of the Tehama County Association of Realtors,licensed from 1994 to 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Red Bluff Daily News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#22 Feb 22, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
You just never know how issues will shake out. As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. We can be sure each will probably think the other is the "broken clock" (tongue in cheek)
that's two times more than you'll ever be...

Since: Sep 10

Redding, CA

#23 Feb 22, 2011
"Examples of government entities engaging in the "you vill comply" approach to what they say are for our own good: ObamaCare, Smart Meters and the Antelope sewer proposal"

In my opinion the Patriot Act trumps your ObamaCare, Smart Meters and the Antelope sewer proposal.....by leaps and bounds.

Ihre papiere, bitte.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#24 Feb 22, 2011
Respectful effort wrote:
"Examples of government entities engaging in the "you vill comply" approach to what they say are for our own good: ObamaCare, Smart Meters and the Antelope sewer proposal"
In my opinion the Patriot Act trumps your ObamaCare, Smart Meters and the Antelope sewer proposal.....by leaps and bounds.
Ihre papiere, bitte.
I do respect your opinion, as it is held by well-meaning people, patriotic citizens, of various political stripes. I have just come to another conclusion after years of the law's implementation, that it doesn't cross the line, except perhaps if it is abused--that, however is the risk for all laws and gov't agencies requiring vigilance by we, the people.

We aren't going to see eye to eye but I would frame my sentiments as the difference between the oft-used Ben Franklin quote iterations:(To paraphrase) "Those who sacrifice liberty for secrurity/safety deserve neither" is vastly different from the actual quote: "Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for temporary security/safety deserve neither."

I don't regard the various provisions of the Patriot Act to be a threat to "essential" liberties given up for "temporary" security. The most controversial parts have been applied to organized crime, drug cases, etc for years, and every president going back to Lincoln has made 4th amend't compromises that would have been intolerable in non-extraordinary or peacetime situations. Such measures inevitably reverted to normal at a later time; some were excessive, some not. I'm not an absolutist; neither is the 4th amendment when the word "unreasonable" is specifically included as a guide to what is allowed and indicates that citizens and representatives will make the determinations.(As they have)

Hence, I am more concerned with PG&E being in possession of details of my appliance use through "Smart compliant (compliant...)" stuff and charging me more to run a load of laundry when its convenient for me. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned over. O'care has a multitude of mandates and taxes that I can't legally avoid, can you? If a majority of Antelope residents vote yea, I am on the hook for many 10's of thousands of dollars (I just saw the list of funding sources and they are slim and none). I would have to go to some lengths to ever conceivably run afoul of any provision of the Patriot Act.

You've mentioned this issue several times; I can't possibly give you my exhaustive position but maybe you will realize that we can agree to disagree. I feel you are among the more "respectful" of the commenters and I have now used up my time and interest on the subject. We will both, I believe, fight to the death to protect each others rights, though.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#25 Feb 22, 2011
And, I don't understand French.

Redding, CA

#26 Feb 23, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence, I am more concerned with PG&E being in possession of details of my appliance use through "Smart compliant (compliant...)" stuff and charging me more to run a load of laundry when its convenient for me. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned over. O'care has a multitude of mandates and taxes that I can't legally avoid, can you? If a majority of Antelope residents vote yea, I am on the hook for many 10's of thousands of dollars (I just saw the list of funding sources and they are slim and none). I would have to go to some lengths to ever conceivably run afoul of any provision of the Patriot Act....
"Ihre Papiere bitte." German for, "Your papers please."

I know it might be a bit irritating that I continue to bring up The Patriot Act and I understand our differences of opinion.

Rather then spend days and tremendous effort debating the subject, pardon me taking any opportunity to shed light on practical parallels or inconsistencies with your views regarding the Patriot Act and other losses of freedoms that you do recognize.

This was such a time.

Putting aside one of the largest government expansions of our time and the huge financial burdens that creates, still leaves the actual intent of that machine in place.

You admit it's complicated, and it's possible it might be too complicated to understand the actual freedoms that are lost. It's likely no ordinary citizen fully understands how free we aren't. The pure size and and intent of the Patriot Act isn't one that we should assume would preserve, protect, or increase our freedoms.

No Don, I'm afraid we all let one slip past us to all of the sudden expect freedom over things like an electric meter, a sewer line, or a program Big Brother wants us to have.

We didn't stop them when it came to 4th amendment issues and didn't even bat an eye on the most part. That it still doesn't rate all that high with you, please excuse me that I'm not going to get very worked up when you write about your loss of freedoms over much less important issues. ;-)
sanity

Redding, CA

#27 Feb 23, 2011
Mooving Experience wrote:
<quoted text>Orv you are buying into fringe "science" and fear mongering in the face of vast experience and knowledge of the effects of EMF on humans. We don't see power plant operators, cell phone tower technicians, and utility linemen coming down with unexplained diseases and brain damage eventhough their exposures to EMF vastly exceed anything a low-power smart meter transmitter emanates. The simple fact is that if you live in close proximity to high tension power lines, travel by air, or use cell phones with any regularity that your EMF exposures from smart meters is in the noise. While I can't claim that any exposure to radiation is good, it is a fact that your exposure to real risks by having a meter reader drive to your home each month far exceed the potential risks of low-level EMF.
Once again, EMF is electrical magnetic field. It is what is around power boxes, plugs, electrical appliances, batteries. It is the battery in the cell phone that causes an EMF field.

RFI is a form of radiation, like UV or infrared. You have to use a Faraday cage to block it. It is what cooks meat, heats the eyeballs, penetrates the brain. There are over 4 different kinds of weapons that have been developed using microwaves. They cannot be used for crowd control because they cook things. Wearing a little medallion on your chest will not block them. They heat up tissue, they cause molecular changes. The upside, teen pregnancy is at an all time low. We can hope it is because they are too busy texting for....

Location hidden

#28 Feb 23, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
I do respect your opinion, as it is held by well-meaning people, patriotic citizens, of various political stripes. I have just come to another conclusion after years of the law's implementation, that it doesn't cross the line, except perhaps if it is abused--that, however is the risk for all laws and gov't agencies requiring vigilance by we, the people.
We aren't going to see eye to eye but I would frame my sentiments as the difference between the oft-used Ben Franklin quote iterations:(To paraphrase) "Those who sacrifice liberty for secrurity/safety deserve neither" is vastly different from the actual quote: "Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for temporary security/safety deserve neither."
I don't regard the various provisions of the Patriot Act to be a threat to "essential" liberties given up for "temporary" security. The most controversial parts have been applied to organized crime, drug cases, etc for years, and every president going back to Lincoln has made 4th amend't compromises that would have been intolerable in non-extraordinary or peacetime situations. Such measures inevitably reverted to normal at a later time; some were excessive, some not. I'm not an absolutist; neither is the 4th amendment when the word "unreasonable" is specifically included as a guide to what is allowed and indicates that citizens and representatives will make the determinations.(As they have)
Hence, I am more concerned with PG&E being in possession of details of my appliance use through "Smart compliant (compliant...)" stuff and charging me more to run a load of laundry when its convenient for me. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned over. O'care has a multitude of mandates and taxes that I can't legally avoid, can you? If a majority of Antelope residents vote yea, I am on the hook for many 10's of thousands of dollars (I just saw the list of funding sources and they are slim and none). I would have to go to some lengths to ever conceivably run afoul of any provision of the Patriot Act.
You've mentioned this issue several times; I can't possibly give you my exhaustive position but maybe you will realize that we can agree to disagree. I feel you are among the more "respectful" of the commenters and I have now used up my time and interest on the subject. We will both, I believe, fight to the death to protect each others rights, though.
you sound more like a loyalist to the patriot act, still eating and swallowing bushes terrorism TV dinners I see.
Red Bluff Libertarian

Wichita, KS

#29 Feb 23, 2011
"You admit it's complicated, and it's possible it might be too complicated to understand the actual freedoms that are lost. It's likely no ordinary citizen fully understands how free we aren't. The pure size and and intent of the Patriot Act isn't one that we should assume would preserve, protect, or increase our freedoms.

No Don, I'm afraid we all let one slip past us to all of the sudden expect freedom over things like an electric meter, a sewer line, or a program Big Brother wants us to have.

We didn't stop them when it came to 4th amendment issues and didn't even bat an eye on the most part."

Absolutely spot on.

I cannot be concerned that PG&E may know how often I run my dishwasher, as long as I know that PG&E may be seeking that info. Not when the Justice dept, FBI, or NSA may be intercepting my calls to people, when my bank records may be reviewed without my knowledge, etc. I may never know of these intrusions into my privacy, due to secrecy laws, but that does not lessen the impact.
ConcernedinCA

AOL

#30 Feb 23, 2011
Bottomline, you are looking at a ticking time clock with health problems that will rapidly occur (within minutes to months) from smart meters, if these are deployed. Resist the smart meter programs with all you have. Public health impacts us all, in all parties, with all political points of view. If you let the US gov't and the utility and smart meter corporations have their way in this, you will lose the health of your community - including that of the animals, and also an impact on insects (bees) and plants, which rf radiation is definitely linked to. SAY NO TO SMART METERS IN YOUR COMMUNITY UNLESS THEY ARE FIBER-OPTIC, WHICH IS WHAT GERMANY HAS. We would all agree that we want to be healthy and have our loved ones healthy, and that a healthy community is a good thing. www.smartmeterdangers.org

Since: Feb 11

Los Angeles, CA

#31 Feb 23, 2011
Here are some smart meter myths: http://energyinyourlife.com/article.php...
Robert Red Bluff

United States

#32 Feb 23, 2011
Smart Meters, The Patriot Act, Scott Walker, Koch Brothers, Oil Prices, etc.. The sad truth of the matter is it is all a distraction from the real problem. The wealth of the greatest nation on earth is in the hands of .01% of it population. They are playing games of distraction and smoke and mirrors. It is working. The greatest middle-class in the history of the world is vanishing as we concern ourselves with Lindsey, Kim and Justin Bieber. Maybe all we really ever needed was a flat-screen TV and couple of beers.
When we do come out of our funk it will be too late. The struggle of man will have come full circle and it will be time to storm the gates and swim the motes and burn it all to the ground once agian. Only this time, there will be no ocean to cross to start over in a virgin land of plenty.

Carry-on
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#33 Feb 23, 2011
Robert Red Bluff wrote:
Smart Meters, The Patriot Act, Scott Walker, Koch Brothers, Oil Prices, etc.. The sad truth of the matter is it is all a distraction from the real problem. The wealth of the greatest nation on earth is in the hands of .01% of it population. They are playing games of distraction and smoke and mirrors. It is working. The greatest middle-class in the history of the world is vanishing as we concern ourselves with Lindsey, Kim and Justin Bieber. Maybe all we really ever needed was a flat-screen TV and couple of beers.
When we do come out of our funk it will be too late. The struggle of man will have come full circle and it will be time to storm the gates and swim the motes and burn it all to the ground once agian. Only this time, there will be no ocean to cross to start over in a virgin land of plenty.
Carry-on
Can't resist the low-hanging fruit. This is some of the most over-wrought, catastrophizing, fatalistic victimization of social-political determinism around. Wow! Get a grip; find some positive things; lift yourself up. I could lose hope but I have much to be hopeful about. And delightful recreation to lift my spirits. Find help; step away from all that contributes to your depression. By all means, take it out with a full-throated/written rant at my expense--I love the Tea Party, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Gov. Walker, Gov. Christie, Tim Pawlenty, heck, I'll throw in Mitt Romney, GW Bush, Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld, Oliver North, and my personal deity Ronaldus Magnus. Is blood spurting from your eyes yet? Sarah Palin, Tea Party ... Huckabee ... Rush ... Hannity ... Laura Ingraham ... Run screaming from your computer ... Boehner ... Cantor ... Paul Ryan ... Obama upside down in Gallup polling. On and on and on.(Psst, Patriot Act has kept us safe unless Obama undermines it somehow)

Redding, CA

#34 Feb 24, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
... By all means, take it out with a full-throated/written rant at my expense--I love the Tea Party, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Gov. Walker, Gov. Christie, Tim Pawlenty, heck, I'll throw in Mitt Romney, GW Bush, Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld, Oliver North, and my personal deity Ronaldus Magnus. Is blood spurting from your eyes yet? Sarah Palin, Tea Party ... Huckabee ... Rush ... Hannity ... Laura Ingraham ... Run screaming from your computer ... Boehner ... Cantor ... Paul Ryan ... Obama upside down in Gallup polling. On and on and on.(Psst, Patriot Act has kept us safe unless Obama undermines it somehow)
Dang Robert, he's got it worse then you.

Location hidden

#35 Feb 24, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't resist the low-hanging fruit. This is some of the most over-wrought, catastrophizing, fatalistic victimization of social-political determinism around. Wow! Get a grip; find some positive things; lift yourself up. I could lose hope but I have much to be hopeful about. And delightful recreation to lift my spirits. Find help; step away from all that contributes to your depression. By all means, take it out with a full-throated/written rant at my expense--I love the Tea Party, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Gov. Walker, Gov. Christie, Tim Pawlenty, heck, I'll throw in Mitt Romney, GW Bush, Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld, Oliver North, and my personal deity Ronaldus Magnus. Is blood spurting from your eyes yet? Sarah Palin, Tea Party ... Huckabee ... Rush ... Hannity ... Laura Ingraham ... Run screaming from your computer ... Boehner ... Cantor ... Paul Ryan ... Obama upside down in Gallup polling. On and on and on.(Psst, Patriot Act has kept us safe unless Obama undermines it somehow)
nuttier than Al and Les this one is determined to be...
Robert Red Bluff

United States

#36 Feb 24, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't expect a person who spends his winters on the slopes and his summers driving around in his motorhome to understand. Good for you, you prospered during the golden years of the middle-class and raising Real Estate values. Just another, "I got mine boomer" who looks at those less fortunate as lazy victims. Enjoy your life as the imbalance continues to grow. The day of reckoning is coming. The streets of Sacramento and Washington could very easily look like what's going on in the Middle East. Our dictators run around in private jets and hide behind the Tea Party, but they have to come out into the light sometime. I'm just wondering what the most heavily armed citizens in the history of the world will look like when the imbalance reaches critical mass? Just sayin.
Pat Johnston

Reedley, CA

#37 Feb 24, 2011
Don Polson wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you can't even debate me, because you know I'm right. By the way, I was just listening to the four stooges on KBLF. Listened to how jealous, you, Cal Hunter, Paul Vietti and Earl Wintle were whining like four brothers with mental and anger problems. Do you guys poke wach other in the eye and slap each other.

I think all public employees ought to boycott the advertisers stupid enpough to support the public relations branch of the North State Republican Mafia and the local teaturds. What's wrong with you guys? Did you waste your youth not going to college to get smart and a great government job? Now, your just a bunch of old has been and never been old babies.
sanity

Redding, CA

#38 Feb 24, 2011
Don,

If people would just stop listening to the radio for a while, they might find out what they really think. The problem with the radio, vs tv, is that the words slowly mingle with your own inner voice, altering what you think and believe. Think about how you can buy tapes for stopping smoking or learning language, where all you do is listen to it for hours.

Propaganda works, the radio waves are our waves but have been taken over by just a few special interests who control every aspect of what is allowed on the radio. Can you really tell the difference between your inner voice and those that you listen to?

You throw out names of people, like they are mental giants or something, when actually they are paid to propagandize.
Les Wolfe

West Tehama County, CA

#39 Feb 24, 2011
Pat Johnston wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you can't even debate me, because you know I'm right. By the way, I was just listening to the four stooges on KBLF. Listened to how jealous, you, Cal Hunter, Paul Vietti and Earl Wintle were whining like four brothers with mental and anger problems. Do you guys poke wach other in the eye and slap each other.
I think all public employees ought to boycott the advertisers stupid enpough to support the public relations branch of the North State Republican Mafia and the local teaturds. What's wrong with you guys? Did you waste your youth not going to college to get smart and a great government job? Now, your just a bunch of old has been and never been old babies.
Another hot flash Pat? Teaturds, wach, spelling like this with a college education, from where? Keep taking those meds you get over it.
sanity

Redding, CA

#40 Feb 24, 2011
Les Wolfe wrote:
<quoted text>
Another hot flash Pat? Teaturds, wach, spelling like this with a college education, from where? Keep taking those meds you get over it.
I want you to go without listening to the radio for 1 month. I challenge you, no Fox news, no radio. Then I want to hear what you have to say.

I DARE YOU... I bet you can't go a whole month without radio or TV.....
Pat Johnston

Reedley, CA

#41 Feb 24, 2011
now one wrote:
<quoted text>nuttier than Al and Les this one is determined to be...
Yeah, even though always wrong, Polson doesn't normally sound crazy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Red Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sheriff says 'no reason to disbelieve' Sherri P... 22 hr a-citizen 4
Where to find cocaine in redding Sat OMG 2
Woman who was missing for 22 days was branded, ... Dec 1 witefight 3
News Sherri Papini found alive Nov 29 kim kardashian 5
News Missing Redding woman Sherri Papini found safe Nov 29 kim kardashian 1
mobile home park (Jan '06) Nov 15 Anonymous 119
News Police logs: Oct. 21, 2016 Oct '16 Red White Blue 1

Red Bluff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance