Red Bluff, one of the best in the west

Red Bluff, one of the best in the west

There are 32 comments on the Red Bluff Daily News story from Jan 14, 2011, titled Red Bluff, one of the best in the west. In it, Red Bluff Daily News reports that:

Red Bluff was named one of the Top 20 places to live in the West by American Cowboy magazine and will be featured in its April/May issue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Red Bluff Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave Slimmer

Chico, CA

#21 Jan 16, 2011
The river lake is one of the best things Red Bluff had going for it. Last year when it was full, both parks were alive with folks enjoying it. Red Bluff had a heart beat again. Sad to see it go...
red rover

United States

#22 Jan 16, 2011
Not that it matters to you gazebo. you have the humanity and intelligence. of an undersized pellican. It must be very hard on you to know that somewhere out there, people can actually enjoy their selves. with or without your OK, might even be a cowboy a riding the waves. They do that too ya know along with all the other cowboy stuff. well i guess I`ll go rope a Pellican......
Gazebo

Paradise, CA

#23 Jan 17, 2011
red rover wrote:
Not that it matters to you gazebo. you have the humanity and intelligence. of an undersized pellican. It must be very hard on you to know that somewhere out there, people can actually enjoy their selves. with or without your OK, might even be a cowboy a riding the waves. They do that too ya know along with all the other cowboy stuff. well i guess I`ll go rope a Pellican......
Where have I stated that I either fail to understand enjoyment or want to deny it to others? Does an undersized pelican have less humanity than a normal sized one???? Are you capable of rational thought??? I don't care if Jesus himself water skis in red bluff, it still does not justify building a million dollar dock to serve the few when there was already a dock there and in many other places, and the money could have been used to benefit a larger portion of the population.

“Stupidity should be outlawed”

Since: Nov 09

Redding, CA

#24 Jan 17, 2011
Gazebo wrote:
<quoted text>
Where have I stated that I either fail to understand enjoyment or want to deny it to others? Does an undersized pelican have less humanity than a normal sized one???? Are you capable of rational thought??? I don't care if Jesus himself water skis in red bluff, it still does not justify building a million dollar dock to serve the few when there was already a dock there and in many other places, and the money could have been used to benefit a larger portion of the population.
What dock are you talking about? There are two already for public use. One at the dam on the east side of the river, and one at the park on the west bank. Now that the river (lake) will be gone, both will be unusable.I know you will say I am whining, but I am just stating a fact. I am just not aware of the million dollar dock you are talking about. Enlighten me please.
Gazebo

Paradise, CA

#25 Jan 17, 2011
Rsnake460 wrote:
<quoted text>What dock are you talking about? There are two already for public use. One at the dam on the east side of the river, and one at the park on the west bank. Now that the river (lake) will be gone, both will be unusable.I know you will say I am whining, but I am just stating a fact. I am just not aware of the million dollar dock you are talking about. Enlighten me please.
Red Bluff River Park. The time for whining was when they were making this decision. Did you go and make your voice heard???

Redding, CA

#26 Jan 17, 2011
Gazebo wrote:
<quoted text>
Red Bluff River Park. The time for whining was when they were making this decision. Did you go and make your voice heard???
Wow that dock has been there for a long time so what is your point?
Gazebo

Paradise, CA

#27 Jan 17, 2011
Rsnake460 wrote:
<quoted text>Wow that dock has been there for a long time so what is your point?
my point is that a few years ago, after it was known that 'lake red bluff' may become history, they completely rebuilt that dock at great expense. How long have you been in red bluff??? You did not notice the upgrade even though you are an avid boating enthusiast?? How much did that dock (which will soon be useless) cost the taxpayers? Who was the contractor? What were their ties to those who made the decision to spend all of that money on something that they knew full well might be rendered mute. And most importantly, what else could that money have been spent on that would have benefited a larger segment of the people paying for it.
Pat Johnston

Stockton, CA

#28 Jan 17, 2011
Amarillo by morning wrote:
Yeeeeee-Hawwww!
Cowboy country, but also a wonderful small town featuring the stately Victorians so beautifully restored and thoughtfully preserved for us all to admire.
Lake Red Bluff is another treasure, too bad it's on life support. We only have one more season to enjoy this truly remarkable man-made gift to the north-state. And in my opinion it will not make a dam(n) bit of difference in regards to the fish population. The numbers have been steadily worsening since the drastic uptake in the huge pumping stations in the delta in the last few years. The lefties will prove this act of destruction was necessary by increasing the amount of smolts and the altering methods used to release them into the bay. I have every confidence that this has been strategically coordinated and will coincide with dismantling of the Red Bluff diversion dam. Guaranteed to put a happy smiley face on the envroMENTALsits already smug mugs.
What great new!!! It appears to me that Red Bluff has recieved a long awaited blessing. Maybe a turn in the political tide has helped. Now, if our elected officials can just behave themselves and not do anything illegal or stupid Red Bluff has a great chance of overcoming our past and look forward to a brighter future.

Chamber Manager Dave McGowan is doing a real great job...and I think we found our brand. One of the best Cowtowns in the West. It's what we always were. What we'll always be. Didn't need to spend a bunch of tax dollars to figure it out.

On the issue of Lake Red Bluff. A judge in Fresno ruled in favor of the environmentalist. Not because he cares about the little fishies, but because he likes to do what polticians wishes. Which is stealing our water right from under our nose, Thank you Congressman Wally Herger, Senator Diug La malfa and Assemblyman Jim Nielson with their help and concern, we will be lucky to have any water left in the river.

Redding, CA

#29 Jan 17, 2011
Gazebo wrote:
<quoted text>
my point is that a few years ago, after it was known that 'lake red bluff' may become history, they completely rebuilt that dock at great expense. How long have you been in red bluff??? You did not notice the upgrade even though you are an avid boating enthusiast?? How much did that dock (which will soon be useless) cost the taxpayers? Who was the contractor? What were their ties to those who made the decision to spend all of that money on something that they knew full well might be rendered mute. And most importantly, what else could that money have been spent on that would have benefited a larger segment of the people paying for it.
Hmm that dock doesn't seem to be a million dollars worth! But, you are the one who seems worried about it. I am in agreement that perhaps it should not have been spent if they knew the lake was going to be gone. I still don't agree that the lake should be gone though.It really will detract from the good of the town. Having it here was one of my favorite things. Why you see that as whining is beyond me but I don't really care as you are certainly entitled to your opinion.The money they are spending on the pump station could most definitely have been used to improve the safe passage of salmon.
Pat Johnston

Stockton, CA

#30 Jan 17, 2011
Al Reine wrote:
Red Bluff, A great little western town in Northern California. This Cowboy and Cowgirl town offers a so much with western culture, and God's wonderful beauty within America. We also need to be proud of a local COWGIRL BEAUTY. Jennifer Marinell; Miss CCPRA, who is representing Red Bluff, Tehama County, and the Golden State of California,in Oklahoma City this week. The late John Wayne said some wise words: "Talk low, Talk slow, and Don't Talk Too Much." We have a hidden Jewel here in Northern California. God Bless those who live in Red Bluff, and America ! Red Bluff has a Lot of TRUE GRIT !!
Al...Al? Is that really you? A whole paragraph of niceties. Now I've seen everything! On other topics, you should really take John Wayne's advice.
Pat Johnston

Stockton, CA

#31 Jan 17, 2011
Rsnake460 wrote:
<quoted text>I can't get my boat in the river if the water is down, no matter where I launch it. The point being, there will be no more Lake Red Bluff after this next season.For that I am very bummed.What kills me is the reasons stated. It is a sham. For me personally, it's a quality of life thing that will be lost. Our family's favorite thing is to be on the river when it is 115 degrees out. We could go anytime we wanted beings the launch is 5 minutes from where we live. We go all the time after work when the river is up. No more after this season. Now it is a 45 minute drive to an hour or so to the lakes. We are losing an accustomed way of life. Not hard to understand.It's happening because of a political load of dookie. Also, not hard to understand .
I have been involved as a "stockholder" since 1986. I have gone to more meetings than our elected officials. There always has been two other alternatives. Fix the fish ladders and open any of three natural bypasses for better fish passage. The Bureau of Reclamation could have put in better fish ladders 24 years ago. They knew the old ones were a problem and pushed for the dam out solution. Imagine how big the fish count would be, if we had fixed the fish ladders 24 years ago.

The bypass alternative was never looked at seriously. The Bureau never did any studies into the viability of them. Engineer Ed Conners had drawn up plans on one of the bypass alternatives and the Bureau ignored it.

The pumps are so noisy now, it runs tourists out of our beautiful and underused Discovery Center Campground. So, why keep investing in that? Wait until the Bureau puts in 40 pumps like they proposed. We only need ten to meet our contractual needs. Where's the extra water go? Into LaMalfa's and Nielson's new lake in Colusa County called Sites Resevoir. It will then be bypassed around the delta to Southern California. Taking even more water out of the river system. How's that good for the fishies?

Nielson, LaMalfa and Herger don't care about Red Bluff and what we have lost. They promised us 1200 jobs as a result of this pumping station project. We have only increased employment by 10 jobs, since they started and I don't know if those jobs were even at the pumping stations.
red rover

United States

#32 Jan 17, 2011
Where have all the fishies gone? They are all still right here, that is all the one`s that can get by the huge fishing fleets, that lurk just outside our international waters, I`m sure you know to whom I refer, but just in case! The Japanese .. Russians and all who steal the fish that our tax dollars and hard work at the fisheries have produced. We achieve the goal of getting the salmon down the river and to the sea, Only to have them snatched by countries that put no effort in the fish except to catch them. that is why not to many of them get back up the river to spawn. Not because they can`t make it up a fish ladder. The pumps won`t help either cuz if there ain`t no fish???????? What a waste of money......All of the river rats need to think next summer or whenever.
, while were sweltering in the Heat.;; about the cool and wonderful times La Malfa,his family and his politickin friends are having at Sites resevior or pond, what ever they have stolen our water and our summertime fun

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Red Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 170 acres burned near Black Butte Lake Jul 5 Here Is One 1
high my name is jesus christ im apsychic time t... Jul 1 JESUS CHRIST PSYC... 1
joshua and derikk gross bet on comic boooks all... Jul 1 JOSHUA oakland enoch 1
joshua wilkes and oakland sergent enoch are sti... Jul 1 JOSHUA oakland enoch 1
joshua eddie marcello music production has bill... Jul 1 SERGENT JOSHUA WI... 1
joshua eric wilkes owner of windjammer lake car... Jul 1 SERGENT JOSHUA ER... 1
Exorcism works for CANCER (Aug '14) Jun 20 Have AGreatDay 20
More from around the web

Red Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE