Ice cream truck owners face roadblock

Mar 21, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WALB-TV Albany

Rebecca and Chad Teague say Early County sheriffs deputies are hurting their business because they don't like the music coming from their ice cream truck.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Sep 8, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ron

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

I think the music is so nice.
Mary Lou

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

What did the sheriff say that you recorded? Got my curiosity up now.
notice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2011

Georgia code says vehicles can use sound making devices as long as they're for business; however, local authorities have jurisdiction regulating how long and where the business may operate. Early County Sheriff, Jimmie Murkerson, says neighbors complain their ice cream truck music is too loud late at night. However the Teagues say they're usually done by 9:30 p.m. at the very latest. The city says they can operate between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Customers on Hogan Avenue welcome the truck.

From walb.com if you watch the video you will notice the ticket was given at 4:52 pm looks like the teagues was within the code.As the code does not say how loud the music can be.
Mary Lou

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

notice wrote:
Georgia code says vehicles can use sound making devices as long as they're for business; however, local authorities have jurisdiction regulating how long and where the business may operate. Early County Sheriff, Jimmie Murkerson, says neighbors complain their ice cream truck music is too loud late at night. However the Teagues say they're usually done by 9:30 p.m. at the very latest. The city says they can operate between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Customers on Hogan Avenue welcome the truck.
From walb.com if you watch the video you will notice the ticket was given at 4:52 pm looks like the teagues was within the code.As the code does not say how loud the music can be.
Thanks. I did read the article, but I did not watch the video. Sometimes, it seems, people in Blakely have it out for others especially, if they are "outsiders."
MGICM

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

People trying to make a living who are respectful getting harassed why? Everyone loves ice cream! Thanks ted - http://MeanGreenIceCreamMachine.com
picked clean

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Prohibiting ice-cream-truck drivers from using music or anything but a bell to beckon customers is unconstitutional.

any ordinance is an unconstitutional restriction on commercial speech.

Georgia code says vehicles can use sound making devices as long as they're for business;

However, local authorities have jurisdiction regulating how long and where the business may operate

The city says they can operate between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

So by state code local authorities have no jurisdiction to regulating the decibel level of noise.

And after review of the video you can see the time of the ticket is 4:52 pm .

quote: Thanks. I did read the article, but I did not watch the video. Sometimes, it seems, people in Blakely have it out for others especially, if they are "outsiders." end quote"

It seems the teagues are being singled out and most everyone would have to agree that the time when the ticket is within the code.
picked clean

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

It seems the teagues are being singled out and most everyone would have to agree that the time when the ticket was given the teagues was within the code and should not have been given a ticket.
Ice Cream

Fitzgerald, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

It would not be the Ice Cream shop that coming to Town Some Year ?????????? We would holp not
DaisyMae

Norman Park, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

Judged:

I have a relative that lives in one of the parks. She was woken up several times by the extremely loud music at 10pm and later- she has to get up at 3am every morning and that's jsut rude.

Most people that I know put their small children to bed by 9 too- after 8pm is too late in my opinion.
Bruce Wilson

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

I'm not against them selling ice cream just the noise during the later hours.Most kids are trying to go to bed around 8pm or 9pm.And some adults like me get up early in the morning before daylight to go to work.So we tend to go to bed early at night.
JUST

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

The problem is you fail to notice they is two ice cream trucks in blakely while Gene says that he is out by dark thats not true he has waited on many kids well after dark. Seems that if the issue was after the hrs set by the code why is it that the sheriffs office waited until 4:52pm to write a ticket seems to me a little shady stuff going on .

When the sheriffs office gets a call they should respond right then not 2 or 3 days later or more and write a ticket only if the person is beyond the time set in the code . Other wise the sheriffs office is going on hear say not fact's.

I dont see a problem with it because in the summer months it does not get dark until 9:15 to 9:30 . And these people not only have ice cream but they have good food.
Hello

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

Judged:

It seems to me that some people are making up lies because the Teague's stated that the latest they had ever worked in Blakely was at 9:30pm. Those are the same people that serve children in Donalsonville and Colquitt; I have bought stuff from them before and they seem to be really respectful people who are just trying to make a living. Their food is good, their truck is clean, they are certified and permitted to sell food. If there is another ice cream truck in Blakely, why is it that only the Teague's are getting a ticket for noise? Does the other ice cream truck not use some sort of bell or music to draw customers? The Teague's stated that they only wanted to extend the ordinance to 9:30pm on the summer months only, not during school months!
Tom

Fitzgerald, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

Bruce Wilson wrote:
I'm not against them selling ice cream just the noise during the later hours.Most kids are trying to go to bed around 8pm or 9pm.And some adults like me get up early in the morning before daylight to go to work.So we tend to go to bed early at night.
This is so true I agree
QUESTION

Blakely, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

Judged:

Are the Teagues the same ones who had problems with their icecream truck in Bainbridge?
Bill

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

Tom wrote:
<quoted text> This is so true I agree
Ice cream truck bells do sound delightful to me, but I would not want to hear them late at night. Who would want to buy ice cream late at night off a truck anyway?
killer

Tifton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

Judged:

This ice cream truck sells everything from Black and Mild cigars to BBQ plates and operates as late as 10:30. What the hell is the reason that the volume can't be turned down on the music that is causing the problem ?????
Bruce Wilson

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2011

Judged:

killer wrote:
This ice cream truck sells everything from Black and Mild cigars to BBQ plates and operates as late as 10:30. What the hell is the reason that the volume can't be turned down on the music that is causing the problem ?????
I agree just turn the volume down a little.No a big deal to fix.
humm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2011

As for Black and Mild cigars thats not true we have friends who tryed to buy those products from them and they do not have them on the truck so it looks like you dont have no clue what you are talking about . And what would that matter anyway?

Again as stated above the ticket was given at 4:52pm that means they was within the code !! No matter if you think they should turn it down or not they was not breaking the law no matter if you think its to loud or not .

Your hearing might be much better than the next person's .

And under georgia state law if those of you who are on here so worried about these people why dont you spend sometime researching the georgia laws and go to your city and get you a copy of the law on loud music. I think you will find that your only making yourself and your city officals really look bad.

Because the local authorities have jurisdiction regulating how long and where the business may operate.

This does not mean authorities have jurisdiction to say how loud the bell can be . Its simple to understand !!!!!!!!!
killer

Tifton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2011

Judged:

I would hate to think someone would take up for people who are too stupid to regulate the volume so as to not make a public nuisance, but according to Ga. law, your freedom to swing your arm stops at my nose !!!! A little common sense solves the problem, but that is obviously beyond the comprehension of those involved.
Not even

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2011

Alot of the hate you have most likely is normal for you . I will pray god heals you from that hate.

But the fact in the matter is the teagues are not the only ones who run after dark we have seen the other truck many times run late after dark he the other truck has out right lied to walb news .

These people are trying to make a living and you who complain would be upset if it was you who was trying to do the same .

And you had all your ducks in a row and yet you still got a ticket even when you was going by the law on the books.

It seems those of you who have so much to complain about have nothing else to do in your life its sad that you cant even apperciate the good these people bring nearly to your front door .

With times getting harder by the day and gas prices going higher and higher its nice to have someone who has more than just ice cream and a hotdog these people have really great food . And all you people who most likely are not even affected by anything other than just a reason to complain.

Each of you need to search your soul in god cause he will win every time and god dont like ulgy and I truely feel these people have just as much right to conduct business just as you or I would.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rebecca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 30 min Kimlov 52,277
What Happened ? 9 hr observer 4
Glenn Littleton 18 hr Racecar 8
Robyn jones Wed WonderWoman 4
I-75 speeding ticket (Jun '09) Aug 12 ashburn police scam 349
the boys at snipes (Sep '11) Aug 6 Eww 15
prostitute from florida?? Aug 6 DaQuan 10

Search the Rebecca Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Rebecca Jobs

•••