Doneckers closing?

Full story: LancasterOnline

Rumors are swirling about the fate of Doneckers, with indications that some or all of its operations might be shutting their doors in the coming weeks.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
greta

Ephrata, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

Judged:

Revamping in this day and age makes sense...sometimes major revamping is necessary for survival...i hope doneckers can make a comeback...it would be very good for the town's image and for economic optimism.
harvey levine

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Judged:

glad to hear the joint will be closing. they have scammed $$$ from the community for long enough. Ask mayor mowen about all of the tax "breaks" donecker has been afforded. It makes me sick
pa farmer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Judged:

I think the store was always way over priced. People in this day and age cant spend money on over priced items, just because of the names. I really hope it shutts it doors and another buisness goes in that the Ephrata comm. can enjoy...... AND AFFORD
retailer

Kutztown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

pa farmer wrote:
I think the store was always way over priced. People in this day and age cant spend money on over priced items, just because of the names. I really hope it shutts it doors and another buisness goes in that the Ephrata comm. can enjoy...... AND AFFORD
The local community is not the market for them. They have always drawn on the best customer not the walmart/target customer. It is tough to be a an independant department store with a small back office.
out-of-town customer

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2008

Judged:

The Doneckers store was known for quality goods; and quality goods attract out-of-town customers as well as locals that support local restaurants and other local Ephrata businesses. In addition, the Doneckers's stores and restaurants provided an income for years to its many employees. In this day and age when furniture prices at competing stores are just as high--even though the quality of competitors' merchandise (not solid wood, but shoddy veneer products produced outside the country) do not begin to match the quality of the furniture sold at Doneckers--the public loses by losing a supplier of quality goods. Having several empty buildings in Ephrata cannot be good for the economy of the town either. I am sorry to see an institution that has served the community for many decades close down. The shopping convenience it offered to local consumers will be missed as well. Let's hope other businesses in the community can continue to sustain themselves in this horrific business economy--created by the nation's staggering, out-of-control debt and the low valuation of the dollar. Thank you, Washington. Stores closing their doors is becoming epidemic across the nation, especially in small-town U.S.A. A sad comment on our changing economy.
Small Retailer

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

The closing of Doneckers would be a great loss to not just the obvious people - the employees and the owners. A store like Doneckers is a key brick in a community like Ephrata. It is spiteful and short sited to wish a business to close (PA Farmer and Harvey Levine) just becaue it was not to your tastes. When a well established and respected store like Doneckers closes what does it say about our community and our economy? You are being naive if you think that something like Doneckers can quickly be replaced. Sadly, once they are gone nothing will ever be the same. Success breeds success and businesses breed more businesses. When you lose Doneckers you lose an anchor for the community.
Nichole Witmyer

Farmington, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

I grew up in Lancaster but currently live in St Louis, MO. This news is an absolute shock to me. My mother grew up in Ephrata and my aunt, uncle, and cousins still live there. Doneckers is a staple in Ephrata. When I visit PA to see family there is not a time that I do not go to Donecker's. Before moving to St Louis, I lived in Key West, FL. The CEO of the only hospital in Key West would call Doneckers and order dresses for her special occasions. She always trusted the sales team at Doneckers and they never disappointed. Dresses were paid and sent to her without even laying eyes on the dress. They were always beautiful. My husband would even pick out suits when we visited and after they were tailored they were mailed to Key West for us. You will NEVER find a better tailor outside of Donecker's.
To the people that have posted comments about prices at Doneckers, I can see that you don't bargain shop like I do. I have only purchased 2 ties out of Donecker's in 10 years that were regularly priced. Tailoring at the men's store was always free. I've even purchased formal dresses for my daughter for $15.00 on clearance. On top of deals that I found, quality was never compromised.
Donecker's, my entire family will miss you greatly.
bridezilla

Danbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

It is a sad situation for the town of Ephrata. I had been dealing with the ballroom for a wedding in planning during the past 1 year time period. I must say it was the most horrible experience of my life. Once word was given to bride and mother of the bride of the situation, I must say I placed all my faith in Mr. Donnecker to hold to his work by assuring this wedding would go off without a hitch. After 6 - 7 weeks of dealing with a sneak, liar, untrusting man, What will be will be!!!!!!!!!!
Out of Town Customer 2

Woodstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2008

We usually came to Doneckers to stay at the Bed and Breakfast to celebrate our anniversary. We enjoyed visiting and walking through the town of Ephrata. The shopkeepers and people were really nice. It's sad to hear of this news. We were planning on coming up again this year, but the news and rumors being reported are just not promising and sometimes behind almost every rumor is a degree of truth. Hope they can turn it aroung but if not, it seems that they are going down the path like other businesses nationally.
msa

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

My wife and I make a decent income and dress nice. However 2 times I entered the men's shop I could not get waited on. I was dressed in a nice polo shirt and khakis. The 3rd time I wore a Tommy Bahama shirt, and then I had the salesman come up to me. That is the last time I ever entered the store.
My father-in-law who was required to wear suits for his profession had a similiar experience. He went to TMB and never set foot in Doneckers again.
I will remember Donneckers as a mens shop with arrogant salesmen.
DCH

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

As of 8/7/08, I heard about the closing of the Donecker's clothing store. I felt a sense of nostalgia, and a bit of sadness over the end of an era. I have fond memories of shopping there with my mother (who is now deceased). It was her favorite place to shop, and every special occasion dress was bought there; including the dresses that she and my sisters wore to my wedding. My 2 sisters and my mother would have a
girls day shopping there, and also have lunch at the restaurant. My husband and I also stayed in the Inns for our wedding anniversary. I guess Doneckers is one more casualty of our economy.
Philly gal

West Orange, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

I am not at all shocked by the closing of Doneckers. I worked at the restaurant for a short period of time several years ago, and I must say this "empire" thought way too highly of itself. Most of the employees, not all, were VERY snobby. I am not surprised by the comments of people who couldn't get service. The restaurant management was sloppy and the fashion store smelled like moth balls all the time. I felt like I was transported back to 1960 while in there. As far as the clientele, this was not a store for everyday people. Yes, they had fine high quality items ... and you could even purchase them if you were willing to dish out big money and if the salespeople deemed you worthy of their goods. This store got what it deserved.
Bonnie - Morgantown

Birdsboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

I am saddened that Doneckers closed. I relied on them everytime I had a special occassion. I bought my business suits there and they were pricier, but guess what people they were Garfield and MArks and made ine the USA, yes thats right, they carried merchandise actually made in USA. Sadly both Doneckers and Garfield and Marks went out of business. Americans need to wake up. The quality of the clothing they carried was unmatched and even after wear and tear still looked like new. Now you buy items at Target and Walmart and they are paper thin, tear and rip and do not last. Doneckers did nothing but support the community. I am in my early 40's and have shopping there since I was in my 20's. They were not snobby, maybe they wanted to give you some space and not be on top of you, or maybe they were busy ro assisting another customer who was not visible to you. They had a great home department too. The quality of the merchandise they carried was evident and now there is no where to go to buy such nuce things and NO I dont want the crap made in China, I do my best to look for MADE IN THE USA and let me tell its rare and hard to find. Maybe the rest of you should try it. Lets support our country.
Ricky

Abu Dhabi, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Yes, it is sad but then it is for the best perhaps
Doneckers had snotty people in the men's shop and their merchandise was not any better than let's say macys or Bloomingdales in King of Prussia and you could get a much better value in KofP
as well as better brands

It was all based on snob appeal and both suits and outer coats I purchased at Doneckers were not of a quality they should have been for the money

They based their entire marketing strategy on snobbery and not value or QUALITY of product or service and in today's world that won't fly

There are too many sophisticated and savvy shoppers out there who are not wooed by snobbery and nonsense but quality of product and service
Today's educated people are too smart to fall for
'reverse salesmanship' snobbery and know a quality item when they see it
Every item Doneckers sold can be purchased elsewhere for a lot less hassle and cost as well

Good riddance to an anachronism of days gone by
and a mini-empire that sucked Ephrata dry thru concessions they were granted by the township leaders who were in bed
with that establishment
Lizzie

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Fine goods my ass, don't all of you well-wishers realize that furniture, jewelry & clothing are all marked up 100% plus! I could easily afford the stuffy clothing & furnishing this I'm better than the average man store sold but chose to spend my money wisely at second hand shops & craigslist. I find that I enjoy traveling the world more than wearing overpriced goods or sitting on garish styled furnishings.
John

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2009

Doneckers offered a unique shopping experience. Unlike the stores in KofP, Donecker offered huge selections of fashionable goods in small quantities. You were unlikely to see the same dress or suit you bought there worn by someone else at a party you attended. For those who did not want to make the trip to Bergdorf's it was great. It was designed for those who could afford to spend a little more on themselves, and knew how to enjoy shopping and buying in a civilized manner. Sad that it is gone, sad that once great stores like Marshall Fields and Joseph Horne's are gone, or turned into Macy's.
What

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

What has happened to the Donecker's complex since it's closing?
Told you so

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

That is what happens when one person believes they are smarter than others, but foolishly over developed. This could be seen coming since 2000!

As for the "overpriced" crowd. Not all of us want to shop at national discount stores for everything. That is why I am happily away from Lancaster, and in the "city"!

I do feel sorry for the town and people, and many have to suffer as a result of one egotistical person.
OnlineQuilt

Dillsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2011

msa wrote:
My wife and I make a decent income and dress nice. However 2 times I entered the men's shop I could not get waited on. I was dressed in a nice polo shirt and khakis. The 3rd time I wore a Tommy Bahama shirt, and then I had the salesman come up to me. That is the last time I ever entered the store.
My father-in-law who was required to wear suits for his profession had a similiar experience. He went to TMB and never set foot in Doneckers again.
I will remember Donneckers as a mens shop with arrogant salesmen.
Where is TMB?

Since: Sep 10

Delhi, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

greta wrote:
Revamping in this day and age makes sense...sometimes major revamping is necessary for survival...i hope doneckers can make a comeback...it would be very good for the town's image and for economic optimism.
Well its pretty sad!!Hope they comeback with reasonable prices!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Fire Warning for Lancaster County was issued at April 23 at 8:06PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Reamstown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Reamstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE