Norovirus is culprit in area's stomach bug outbreak
Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.
#1 Mar 8, 2006
My family and I stayed at the great wolf lodge over the weekend and in 24 hours all 10 of us were sick as we were eating in the resteraunt a guest said my two grandkids are upstairs sick vomiting that put red flags up in my head he should have never cam down to a buffet to eat i over heard several people saying there children were sick the indoor pool is a 85 degree breading ground for germs.SO by sunday when we got home we all got sick
#2 Jan 12, 2007
I'm pretty much over it. I still feel a bit queezy.. Man did it feel like a day in the firy pits of doom.
#3 Feb 21, 2012
OMG! my family of 5 just returned and saturday night we all got violently ill vomiting and direahea, great place but yes a great breeding ground for germs i don't think we will be returning, I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy and as a mother its heart breaking watching the kids one by one go through this.
#5 Jan 22, 2013
1) people with nausea and diarrhea should be kind and "NOT SHARE THAT WEALTH" by getting into a pool.period.
2) I'm sure Great Wolf Lodge puts tons of chlorine in their water - which would kill the bacteria
3) Now for the buffet, as long as the food is hot enough, you wouldn't get sick from that...the norovirus is transmitted, what, by touching surfaces...wash your hands
#6 Jan 22, 2013
I know people who went there even though they had nausea and diarrhea... You can't fix STUPID!!
#7 Jan 22, 2013
If one person has the virus...you're screwed...Norovirus is rapidly inactivated by either sufficient heating or by chlorine-based disinfectants, but the virus is less susceptible to alcohols and detergents.
Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food. They are highly contagious, and fewer than twenty virus particles can cause an infection. Transmission occurs through ingesting contaminated food and water and by person-to-person spread. Transmission through fecal-oral can be aerosolized when those stricken with the illness vomit, and can be aerosolized by a toilet flush when vomit or diarrhea is present; infection can follow eating food or breathing air near an episode of vomiting, even if cleaned up. The viruses continue to be shed after symptoms have subsided and shedding can still be detected many weeks after infection.
Vomiting, in particular, transmits infection effectively. In one incident, a person who vomited spread infection right across a restaurant, suggesting that many unexplained cases of food poisoning may have their source in vomit. 126 people were dining at six tables in December 1998; one woman vomited. Staff quickly cleaned up, and people continued eating. Three days later others started falling ill; 52 people reported a range of symptoms, from fever and nausea to vomiting and diarrhoea. The cause was not immediately identified. Researchers plotted the seating arrangement: more than 90% of the people at the same table as the sick woman later reported food poisoning. There was a direct correlation between the risk of infection of people at other tables and how close they were to the sick woman. More than 70% of the diners at an adjacent table fell ill; at a table on the other side of the restaurant, the rate was still 25%. The outbreak is being blamed on a Norwalk-like virus (norovirus). Other cases of transmission by vomit were later identified. Bernard Betts, director of the Microbiology Research Unit at the University of York, said that clinical-standard hygiene is needed, even in restaurants, commenting "Just a single drop of material hitting a hard surface can produce an aerosol that travels a very long way." 
In one outbreak at an international scout jamboree in the Netherlands, each person with gastroenteritis infected an average of 14 people before increased hygiene measures were put in place. Even after these new measures were enacted, an ill person still infected an average of 2.1 other people. A CDC study of 11 outbreaks in New York State lists the suspected mode of transmission as person-to-person in seven outbreaks, foodborne in two, waterborne in one, and one unknown. The source of waterborne outbreaks may include water from municipal supplies, wells, recreational lakes, swimming pools and ice machines.
#8 Jan 23, 2013
^^Yuk. I rarely eat at restaurants anymore. It's not the same pleasurable experience for me. when I'm on vacation, I take along anti-bacterial wipes to clean off my plate, silverware and the table. My hub thinks I'm nuts but I don't care. Of course, then I always wonder who prepared the food. Was any of the food dropped on the floor and put back on the plate before serving? Sounds like paranoid thinking you may say, but I have heard true stories from my cousin who worked in a restaurant. I also took my mother to one of those buffets she likes so much. Never again. Saw one of the servers picking his nose while he was restocking the food carts. I've long since abandoned swimming in a public pool, too. All of those kids and slobs in that water peeing and god knows what else. Like swimming in an over sized toilet bowl. Even if they do add a ton of Chlorine to the water, it's not healthy because Chlorine is a chemical and can be toxic.
Add your comments below
|Wanted Man Nabbed In Texas (Mar '10)||Jul 25||I LOVE JOHNATHAN ...||10|
|reading is a filthy, disgusting dump!!!! (Jan '08)||Jul 23||Charlie||65|
|Russell man back 88 Forge Road womelsdorf PA||Jul 20||tina orlando||1|
|More on the side for my wife!||Jul 12||Jon||3|
|Gianattis Restaurant||Jun 29||whoooop||2|
|Study: Allentown School District one of the mos...||Jun '15||silly rabbit||3|
|Review: Allstar Electronics (Mar '13)||Jun '15||Gary Harsel Elver...||4|
Find what you want!
Search Reading Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC