Berks judge OKs loan for city to avoid cuts

Berks County President Judge Jeffrey L. Schmehl on Thursday approved Reading's request to borrow $20 million, helping it to avoid more cuts in city services such as police and fire protection. Full Story
Jimbo

Broadview Heights, OH

#1 Oct 29, 2010
Anyone know how much debt the city is in? These loans are just preventing the inevitable.
Jason

Reading, PA

#2 Oct 29, 2010
I thought the highly educated ACT 47 team had these things under control. Can't wait till Corbett puts an end to this ACT 47 business.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#3 Oct 29, 2010
Jason wrote:
I thought the highly educated ACT 47 team had these things under control. Can't wait till Corbett puts an end to this ACT 47 business.
The loan is part of the recommendations made under Act 47. Upcoming tax increases and commuter taxes are also part of the Act 47 recommendations.
Jimbo

Northampton, PA

#4 Oct 29, 2010
US FED wrote:
<quoted text>
The loan is part of the recommendations made under Act 47. Upcoming tax increases and commuter taxes are also part of the Act 47 recommendations.
You are correct. Unfortunately the ACT 47 committee was working with blotched numbers. They also recommended that the city should ask the water and parking authority for additional money. The question is what if they don’t get the money. I think they will resort to old tactics of dipping into funds that shouldn’t be touched. Heck the mayor already changed the recommendation to span out the tax increases. Instead this guy wants 20 percent increase. Anyone that has taken a statistics class will tell you “if your data is wrong, your stats are wrong”.
Corruption

Reading, PA

#6 May 6, 2013
Aren't there any corruption-free judges or lawyers in Berks?
Do all the judges in Berks cheat on their wives, fool around with other female county employees and toatally disregard their children if they do not accept all of ther girlfriends?
Will the city ever be able to pay this back or was it just another "get the city into more debt" loan for the banks to profit?
Does it ever stop?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reading Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Employees Forced To Work For The Holiday Sat Respect 1
Reading Chimpouts over Ferguson GJ ruling Nov 19 salty cracker 1
Should i be a cuckold for my gf? Nov 18 I like that too 5
Richard Garipoli was a dirty cop ! Nov 15 Little wonks 1
Bank robbery suspect nabbed after burglary in W... Nov 11 NatetheGreat 2
Bruce Johnston Gang Nov 10 Len 1
I need your Opinion Oct 28 finishing touch d... 1

Reading News Video

Reading Dating
Find my Match