Changes Proposed For Pa.'s Beer Law

Full story: WFMZ 155
A Pennsylvania lawmaker is proposing sweeping changes to the state's beer law. Sen. John Rafferty of Montgomery County said today that he will try again to loosen the law and allow six-pack sales at beer distributors, groceries and conveniences stores. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
lifes a beach

Harrisburg, PA

#145 Sep 9, 2010
Coach Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
The average markup at a beer distributor is 20%. The average markup at a grocery store is much higher. Facts matter.
But what if I don't want an entire case of beer? Then I head to the local bar; where the price is much higher than either the distributor or the grocery store. Hmmmm...
S York Township

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#146 Sep 10, 2010
Hmmm, to host a party. Well, I need food, I get that at the local grocery store. Drinks? Non-alcoholic at - the grocery store. Adult beverages? Well, first the beer. Most of my guests like Miller and Bud, so off to the "Distributor" where I lug out two cases from a warehouse. Hope I make it before they close.

But a couple of my friends like DOSXX, off to a bar and cross my fingers that they sell it so I don't have to go to the next bar, then I get the privilge of buying a six pack at about the cost of a case of beer.

Wine, well, a trip to the State Store (another monopoly) to try and find wine. Hopefully they have the type and I don't have to go to the "Specialty State Store" for the Chairman's select products. Nothing exotic, just a $12 bottle of a good Califonia Cab.

Liquor - one place only and I hope they stock the brand and type I like or need. I recently needed a type of brany for cooking, not available. "If" the state "system" has the product somewhere else (Pittsburg or Philly), I can order it but, there will be an extra shipping charge.

Or...., I can go to one of a half-dozen locations in Maryland that have all the adult bevereages in one store (including 4 different brands of the Brandy I was looking for). What a concept!! And at a better price.

But, with our legislature - the best money can buy - it will never change.
parent

Warren, OH

#147 Sep 10, 2010
WhyBother wrote:
I get minors beer for them a couple times a week..........make some good money too.....if it's not me, then someone else will make a buck...glad to help them out
WHY BROTHER, you are a sick bastar*! IT's people like you who push the government to create stricter laws.

What this boils down to is growing businesses not laws! This has nothing to do 'how easy it would be for people to buy.' This is about allowing businesses (like Sheetz, 7-11's, etc) to sell beer and wine. MAKE MONEY. I know....this is offensive to some...to allow big business to grow. Believe me, it wouldn't put bars out of business.

In order to survive this climate, businesses are going to have to re-create themselves.
Nobama

Philadelphia, PA

#148 Sep 10, 2010
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY BROTHER, you are a sick bastar*! IT's people like you who push the government to create stricter laws.
What this boils down to is growing businesses not laws! This has nothing to do 'how easy it would be for people to buy.' This is about allowing businesses (like Sheetz, 7-11's, etc) to sell beer and wine. MAKE MONEY. I know....this is offensive to some...to allow big business to grow. Believe me, it wouldn't put bars out of business.
In order to survive this climate, businesses are going to have to re-create themselves.
Selling beer, wine, and liquor in supermarkets would have absolutely no effect either way on underage drinking.....
Nobama

Philadelphia, PA

#149 Sep 10, 2010
S York Township wrote:
Hmmm, to host a party. Well, I need food, I get that at the local grocery store. Drinks? Non-alcoholic at - the grocery store. Adult beverages? Well, first the beer. Most of my guests like Miller and Bud, so off to the "Distributor" where I lug out two cases from a warehouse. Hope I make it before they close.
But a couple of my friends like DOSXX, off to a bar and cross my fingers that they sell it so I don't have to go to the next bar, then I get the privilge of buying a six pack at about the cost of a case of beer.
Wine, well, a trip to the State Store (another monopoly) to try and find wine. Hopefully they have the type and I don't have to go to the "Specialty State Store" for the Chairman's select products. Nothing exotic, just a $12 bottle of a good Califonia Cab.
Liquor - one place only and I hope they stock the brand and type I like or need. I recently needed a type of brany for cooking, not available. "If" the state "system" has the product somewhere else (Pittsburg or Philly), I can order it but, there will be an extra shipping charge.
Or...., I can go to one of a half-dozen locations in Maryland that have all the adult bevereages in one store (including 4 different brands of the Brandy I was looking for). What a concept!! And at a better price.
But, with our legislature - the best money can buy - it will never change.
Beer distributorships have bought off the legislature to maintain their monopoly and outrageous profits...

It's time for a change to a competitive market...
payup

Newport, PA

#150 Sep 10, 2010
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
Beer distributorships have bought off the legislature to maintain their monopoly and outrageous profits...
well I guess it is time for you to start buying legislators then. put your money where your big mouth is!
PHD

Newport, PA

#151 Sep 10, 2010
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
I started reading this thread today, and you are a nut. Half the posts on here are you.
O.K.- lets says you are right - your hate thrown comments will not get your point across. I don't have an opinion on this issue yet, because I don't have all the facts.
However, you are not doing your cause, or yourself, any favor with your grade school antics. Grow-up, state your case, give it a rest! You may fair better with your cause.
If you continue your ways you will be taken about a seriouly at that preacher nut in Florida right now.
Nobama

Mertztown, PA

#152 Sep 10, 2010
payup wrote:
<quoted text>
well I guess it is time for you to start buying legislators then. put your money where your big mouth is!
No, I'll just buy my beer elsewhere and let you bribe the legislature...

besides, I think the supermarket and convenience store chains can out-bribe you and drive you to your deserved end...

feed the rats before you turn the lights out...
Nobama

Mertztown, PA

#153 Sep 10, 2010
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>
I started reading this thread today, and you are a nut. Half the posts on here are you.
O.K.- lets says you are right - your hate thrown comments will not get your point across. I don't have an opinion on this issue yet, because I don't have all the facts.
However, you are not doing your cause, or yourself, any favor with your grade school antics. Grow-up, state your case, give it a rest! You may fair better with your cause.
If you continue your ways you will be taken about a seriouly at that preacher nut in Florida right now.
OK, here it is...

why should a group of beer distributors have a state-sponsored monopoly and require consumers to buy beer by the case...

let the free market prevail...
PHD

Newport, PA

#154 Sep 11, 2010
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, here it is...
why should a group of beer distributors have a state-sponsored monopoly and require consumers to buy beer by the case...
let the free market prevail...
well stated
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#155 Sep 11, 2010
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>
well stated
on blogs like this, sometimes one tends to try to be provocative, overstating the issue...

Pennsylvania liquor laws, both the state stores and the beer distributorships, are a national disgrace...

the PLCB is still ignoring a US Supreme Court decision to prevent restrictions on wine shipments from out-of-state wineries....

why all this...because the state looks on its residents as cash cows, to be milked (and screwed)
PHD

Newport, PA

#156 Sep 11, 2010
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
on blogs like this, sometimes one tends to try to be provocative, overstating the issue...
Pennsylvania liquor laws, both the state stores and the beer distributorships, are a national disgrace...
the PLCB is still ignoring a US Supreme Court decision to prevent restrictions on wine shipments from out-of-state wineries....
why all this...because the state looks on its residents as cash cows, to be milked (and screwed)
agreed - in debate - sometimes less is more when making a argument. It allows one to draw their own final conclusion. When individual emotions are brought into the discussion, it can have negative impact on what you are trying to accomplishment. Have a great day.
Nobama

Allentown, PA

#157 Sep 11, 2010
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>
agreed - in debate - sometimes less is more when making a argument. It allows one to draw their own final conclusion. When individual emotions are brought into the discussion, it can have negative impact on what you are trying to accomplishment. Have a great day.
Yes. It just annoys me when, on frequent trips to California, I can go to a supermarket and get a wider selection of liquor, wine, and beer than are available here at prices that are in general 2/3 of the prices here...

So, what am I paying for?
S York Township

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#158 Sep 13, 2010
Hey, a new twist in the quality system. Just went to the state store and tried to find a wine I had purchased - at another state store. They had no listing in the computer. Turns out they have spelled the manufacture's name 5 different ways to list the same product, just different years of the vintage.

Wouldn't last 3 sec in a competative environment.
David

Saint Petersburg, FL

#159 Feb 9, 2013
Why does Harrisburg have to fix everything from Retail first? If you want to make it like other states, give the master distributor's Territory Protection like the other states, so the supermarkets can't bring it in from there out-of master distributor territory supermarket. Or worse they way it is now (with no territory protection) the product can come from another master distribtor's territory unlike any other state. The liquor stores, bars, supermarkets, taverns, clubs will have to buy from within this territory (like all the other states), especially with the distributors losing a large portion of their retail sales to such a radical change. Go ahead make it like Maryland, just don't forget to change distributor's territory protection. It's soo 30's laws.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reading Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Berks shooting victim's family speaks out Oct 15 Unknown 1
Garage Door Repair Reading Oct 11 RobertMSmith 1
Should i be a cuckold for my gf? Oct 7 Famin7 1
Reading Water Bills Doubled After new meters in... Sep 28 Alice 1
Reading Rises On List Of Most Dangerous Cities (Nov '09) Sep '14 silly rabbit 14
Pennsylvania scores 19th in US obesity rankings Sep '14 silly rabbit 1
Henry Thomas Aug '14 Kin From KY 1

Reading News Video

Reading Dating
Find my Match

Reading Jobs

Reading People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Reading News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Reading

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]