First Prev
of 11
Next Last
LOC89

Lexington, KY

#1 Nov 17, 2012
make black friday red. http://www.teamsters89.com/
louisville doesnt exist

Campbellsville, KY

#2 Nov 17, 2012
And find you another job! Ask the Hostess workers.
get real

Lexington, KY

#3 Nov 17, 2012
Hostess had bankruptcy problems among others and no viable plan for future growth, Amazon on the other hand is a ripe fruit ready for a bountiful harvest.
louisville doesnt exist

Campbellsville, KY

#4 Nov 17, 2012
get real wrote:
Hostess had bankruptcy problems among others and no viable plan for future growth, Amazon on the other hand is a ripe fruit ready for a bountiful harvest.
And when companies get tired of employees doing things like this, they will up and move. That would b you who's left out in the cold. Case in point. Joy mining in Lebanon moved there because they got tired of the union tactics in Ill.
well

Lexington, KY

#5 Nov 17, 2012
louisville doesnt exist wrote:
<quoted text>And when companies get tired of employees doing things like this, they will up and move. That would b you who's left out in the cold. Case in point. Joy mining in Lebanon moved there because they got tired of the union tactics in Ill.
First off Joy Mining is based in Wisconsin not Illinois. Second of all Kentucky is not a right to work state so your argument makes you look stupid. Hostess nor Joy Mining has nothing to do with Amazon.

As far as people being left out in the cold, where are the people they fire at the whim of unfair management left? Union representation equals job security.

As far as companies moving because the get tired of employees doing things like this, since we are talking about employees wishing to be treated fairly yes it matters. And BTW is not about the company moving this is Kentucky so it's about employees kicking the unfair employer's A$$es out of the state. Big difference.
louisville doesnt exist

Hodgenville, KY

#6 Nov 17, 2012
well wrote:
<quoted text>
First off Joy Mining is based in Wisconsin not Illinois. Second of all Kentucky is not a right to work state so your argument makes you look stupid. Hostess nor Joy Mining has nothing to do with Amazon.
As far as people being left out in the cold, where are the people they fire at the whim of unfair management left? Union representation equals job security.
As far as companies moving because the get tired of employees doing things like this, since we are talking about employees wishing to be treated fairly yes it matters. And BTW is not about the company moving this is Kentucky so it's about employees kicking the unfair employer's A$$es out of the state. Big difference.
The facility Joy closed down was in Ill if I'm not mistaken. They were union and got tired of the union tactics so they move to Leb which they pay a good wage without all the B.S. from the union.
actually

Lexington, KY

#7 Nov 17, 2012
they layed off 37 Lebanon workers in July which an union with a collective bargaining agreement could have prevented
Wrong

Hodgenville, KY

#8 Nov 17, 2012
actually wrote:
they layed off 37 Lebanon workers in July which an union with a collective bargaining agreement could have prevented
They downsized due to cut backs in the coal industry. How would a union stopped that? If you don't have work, you can't keep them all employed.
just my opinion

Lexington, KY

#9 Nov 18, 2012
I may be wrong about this but this is my opinion. How can you say that is wrong when the CBA determines the rules on how the employer handles layoffs? You have no idea what their CBA would be if they were union that would be determined by their vote. Also the company you mentioned,the official reason was they were "experiencing a temporary decrease in customer orders across the U.S.". Union companies cannot layoff union employees and replace them with non-union employees. It is possible for union halls to place you in a job as soon as the very next day and you keep all your benefits. Sometimes it may take a few weeks to place you but you keep your benefits regardless and you collect a check from the state if you are off more than 8 hours per week. Other CBA's say the company pays you your wages while you do community service work until company work picks back up. As someone else said before, if any company intends to grow and stay in business they have to have employees, this topic being about Amazon which from what i've read is a growing company increasing sales every year with new facilities recently opening in numerous areas. However, in any company employees that are not unionized or have no CBA, those full time at will employees can be let go and replaced with lower wage temps and/or seasonal workers etc. at will. Union employees make on average 28% higher hourly wages than non-union employees. Did you get a raise this year? What about last year? When you do get raises what do you get a quarter? 50 cents? Does that pay for $4 gas and double food prices? Why make $15 on someone elses terms when you can make $19 on yours? Union dues can be only two hours pay per month that would be $38 a month for a $700 monthly gain in pay. How is that bad for you? Again i may be wrong but i don't see anything wrong with trying to do better for your family when companies have increased sales and are making huge profits year after year and thriving due to the hard work of their employees. Is it right for them to reap all the rewards when you are stuggling to figure out what you can sacrifice or sell to pay the next bill? And honestly why would anyone want to have a job at any company if they are not treated well by them? Hostess was brought up but if it was bad for Hostess employees to strike then why are Walmart employees striking this week? The time is now.
john

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Nov 18, 2012
Ky is a right to work state.All Unions do is take your money.I worked under a Union before.All it does is protects the people that dont want to work.I work full time at Amazon.They do not need a union.
no job

White House, TN

#11 Nov 18, 2012
we do not need a union at amazon! I have a son-in-law that has work for twenty years and now has lost his job!
bush hog

Campbellsville, KY

#12 Nov 18, 2012
Stock holders are making a wind fall of money. Pay the workers..........
fact

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Nov 18, 2012
obama love unions he gonn make the big rich companeys pay people more and gonn rase unimployment to 9 .50 a hr anyone that said a union is no good is a stupid look what ups makes you dont see it closeing and still makin billions your just stupid quit being a slave to big imdustry
fact

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Nov 18, 2012
john your a retard you people should make at least 20 bucks a hour you must live with your mother or in a 1970 trailer
louisville doesnt exist

Hodgenville, KY

#15 Nov 18, 2012
fact wrote:
john your a retard you people should make at least 20 bucks a hour you must live with your mother or in a 1970 trailer
Fact, the fact is you a dumb a**. Do you really think they should make 20 an hour? If so then skilled jobs should pay 30-40 an hour. Those jobs are for unskilled workers. If you pay them that much, just think of what the items would cost the consumer. Same as McD's. If you pay a burger flipper 15 an hour then that Big Mac will cost you 8 bucks. Gosh people are so stupid. Companies are not going to eat the cost of raises or benefits. They simply pass them along. As far as UPS making good money, well yes they do. When there are few competitors, then a company can charge more because of no competition. You want to ship, you basically have UPS, USPS, or Fed-Ex. Places like Amazon, a person can just order from the store itself, go to the store, or order from other places like Amazon.
upper hand

United States

#16 Nov 18, 2012
If all the whiners would save their money and invest in a business, they would learn what an employer goes through. Why would anyone put all their hard earned money into a business, just to have to pay it out and have it taxed away? That would sure be ignorant. And that is what is putting people out of business. Do a fair weeks work for fair pay AND don't steal from your employer!!! Too many of you do. Bunch of whine babies!
In the Know

Elizabethtown, KY

#17 Nov 18, 2012
Unions can not save jobs.Just ask the workers at Portland Forge in Leb.Some got laid off because of lack of work and the Union was powerless to stop it.All it has been good for is take money from your dues and cause hard feelings among its workers.It has caused more problems than it will ever fix.Some of us older employees have seen it breakup friendships that will never be fixed and because of these reasons it's a harder place to work.
bush hog

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Nov 18, 2012
Skilled workers do make $30 a hour in union shops...........maybe not in Ky. Iron workers, Boilermakers, Electrical, ETC............ Plus pensions , Health insurance, annuity, ..... Yes we do need Unions to protect workers. I made $10 a hour over 20 years ago. Amazon stock up from $8 a share to over $100 in 6 years. Workers must pay part of their wages to labor management, so Amazon don't have to pay benefits. If workers walk off job it would be the best thing they could do for them self and their families...........
nice

Lexington, KY

#19 Nov 18, 2012
union is the workers coming together, are you saying the workers are no good? the workers have a right to collective bargaining without joining a union lets see the expense you process 300 products in an hour that is 4.6 cents per item. if you double the pay to $28/hr that item goes up 4.6 cents to cover the labor cost. A nickel extra per item will not break anyone especially when they are making $14 more on the hour. Even if you process say 50 items per hour that is 28 cents and 28 cents per item will not hurt anyone.
nope

Lexington, KY

#20 Nov 18, 2012
john wrote:
Ky is a right to work state.All Unions do is take your money.I worked under a Union before.All it does is protects the people that dont want to work.I work full time at Amazon.They do not need a union.
Ky is NOT a right to work state. Wait until Obamacare is implemented and see how that full time works out for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raywick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min Just Saying 138,026
5 gallon buckets of detergent (Sep '11) 1 hr ryan 156
Post your Lowes stories, Good or Bad!!!! (Jan '08) 1 hr meatloaf109 411
Skatepark destroyed 6 hr newsman 9
What does the song crimson and clover by tommy ... (Jul '10) 6 hr eddi 53
Campbellsville Trivia (Jul '08) 13 hr Jojo 2,717
Sirens Old Lebanon 15 hr listener 2
More from around the web

Raywick People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]