Bullock Family
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
xceo

Waterloo, Canada

#21 Sep 1, 2010
Stephen, did you get the message I sent the other day. I don't see it posted.
Stephen wrote:
Dear Angela,
One reason Delbert's family is reluctant is that the oldest member of the Family, Delbertís daughter Alberta, was told by her grand niece (whom I am in contact with) about the possibility that my father is her half brother,(this according to the phone conversation that my father had with Delbert 15 years ago when Delbert knew of my grandmother, admitted to "being" with her and said that it could be very likely that my father was his son)
Alberta informed her great niece that the time to clear up all this was when it happened (1933) and she saw no reason to go into it now. Why, maybe she knew of some of the background and didn't want it dredged up? Who knows? One would think if you had a half brother within 25 miles you'd never met, you would be interested.
The main reasons I think my Irene (Irine) is one in the same as yours is that on her death certificate, It's listed Raywick as her birth town and Mollie Avery as her mother. I think in my first or second letter to you I mentioned that it would be too much of a chance to have 2 Irene Bullocks from Raywick (even though the birth years are off by 2 in the census). Also, the Irene who married Fred (Delbert's Father) had two Bullocks living in the same household (Mary Bullock and Benjamin Bullock). It looks like Mary never married and I'm not sure what happened to Benjamin. I do believe these are siblings of Irene and children of Irvin and Mollie.
Finally, if the great niece of Delbert can convince one of her brothers to do a DNA I can prove that I am related to Delbert because most test are done on either a male line or female line so:
Delbert - My father - Me
Delbert -(another Stephen now deceased)- and his son, the great nieces' brother, if one of them will do it with me.
Another reason they may be reluctant, is that they are afraid we might be after money, although there is no legal standing on that. I just want to know.
I will be in Louisville in November and the niece and I will meet. She says she is going to ask her brothers if they are willing to do the test. I hope so. I just want the missing piece put in. Anyway, hope you are well.
Stephen
Stephen

United States

#22 Sep 8, 2010
Do you have any research on the Bullock's of Georgia?
Stephen

United States

#23 Sep 8, 2010
Angela.

I don't believe I got your message. I just noticed this one asking me if I got it. The only new message I saw was from the new person saying they have a history of the Bullocks in many states but not Georgia.

Hope you are well. Sorry I didn't reply before.

Stephen
xceo

Waterloo, Canada

#24 Sep 8, 2010
Stephen, I hope you get some answers. I don't understand their hesitation. Could it be they are afraid that their african/black slave heritage might be a family secret they want to keep secret? Irene and Ben were definitely my great grandmother's, Katherine Bullock, siblings. My mother remembers her "Uncle Ben" who lived with them in Louisville for awhile when her grandmother, my great grandmother, Katherine was alive.

Why would these people think you would want money? Are they wealthy? I am not familiar with them and just don't understand why they won't help you solve the mystery.

I am thinking of hiring a genealogy expert to help me put all thE pieces together. I used one to help me locate the burial location for Katherine Bullock and to confirm her birth in Raywick, Ky. As I find out new information about Irene I will gladly pass it on.

Take care and hang in there. I know we will get to the truth!

Angela
Grave sites

United States

#25 Sep 20, 2010
Angela,

I don't think they are wealthy. I know the family ownes a Hardware store on West Broadway. The family matriarch, Alberta, is the one who doesn't think the past should be delved in to. The others are just following suite or just don't care.
I had always assumed that when Alberta found out that i was exploring family history, that she may have known or heard rumors from the past (mixed race) thus not wanting further research. The woman I am in contact with seems totally interested (Alberta's niece). Alberta would be my father's half sister and one would think that alone would want her to "delve", but she says it should have all been taken care of when it happened (1934). I don't think much was said about an unwanted preganancy of a Catholic girl (my grandmother). Plus ,I don't believe she and Delbert were ever married, thus a big scandle at the time which wouldn't had been "handled". It is frustrating hitting a brick wall and at this point, I haven't heard from the niece in about 3 weeks.
So do you know where Irvin and Molly are buried? It mist be some where near Raywick. Is there an African American cemetery there? I would love to know where Irines is buried but I'm not sure how to go about finding out. I'm sure she is interned in Louisville somewhere. I found out the Irene remarried and had another child, a girl, who passed a few years ago. I don't know if the child (woman) ever married and had children, but it looks like Irene went back to Miller as a last name rather than Huectner (spl).
I will let you know if I get any more information.
Where is Kathreen Bullock buried? That may be a good place for me to start looking for Irene's burrial plot.

Take-Care,
Steve
xceo

Waterloo, Canada

#26 Sep 21, 2010
Katherine is buried in calvary cemetary, a catholic cemetary in louisville. I was surprised to find her there because of segregation. I will check to see if I can find Irene's burial place and let you know. There is an African american cemetary in raywick but records and information is scarce. I am actually in louisville right now and planning to go to raywick again if time permits. I'll let you know what I find out. Take care!
Steve

United States

#27 Sep 21, 2010
That's interesting as my grandmother is buried is Calvary too and she is the one whom had the child (my Father) by Delbert Miller, Irene's son. Wonder what the chances are that Irene is buried there as well?
I hope you have a good visit to Louisville. Maybe you can find some family photos. I would love to see some. I read the weather is still pretty hot back there. I am going the first part of Nov. so I can go to Churchill Downs...and I'll be visiting my father.
Have a safe trip and I hope you have some down time to enjoy yourself.
Steve miller

Palo Alto, CA

#28 Nov 2, 2010
Angela,

i don't know if you still look at this post but I wanted to let you know that I am still interested in the research. I will be leaving for Louisville, tomorrow and will see if Irene is buried in the same cemetery as Kathrine (Calvery). I'm still trying to track down pictures of her. It seems that the relatives I've been in contact with have decided that we are probably related. I will meet with Fred Miller's Daughter and wife while I am in Louisville. They saw a pic of my dad and decided that he has the same ears and hair as Delbert, Irene's son. They are in contact with Irene's second family as well. She remarried and had a daughter and that daughter had 2 children. They may have a picture of her. The daughter passed a few years ago. It seems only the women in the Miller family are the ones who want to meet me. I am hopeful that in the meeting, they will see a trace of family resemblance. I hope you are well and finding out more facts. Please keep me informed if you can. I think I will switch off of here and contact you thru Ancestry from now on if that's ok or we can exchange emails if you like. I don't know If I will make it to Raywick as my time is short but I would like to. I would still love to know where Irvin and Molly are buried. It seems it would be in Raywick. Do you know if they ever moved? Hope you are well and I hope we can meet one day.
Sincerely,
Steve
Virginia

Macomb, MI

#29 Nov 2, 2010
Steve, it is so good to hear from you after such a long absence. I am so happy you have made some progress with Fred Miller's family and hope you get some answers. I am still heavily involved in the research and the more I find out, the more unanswered questions I have. I am so excited for you. Do you really believe that Irene and my greatgrandmother, Katherine, were sisters? You know this means that Irene was black, right? Do the Miller's know this and if so, have they acknowledged it? Please let me know. This link would mean so much to me and would be extremely significant to my research. I would rather we communicate through either Ancestry.com or my email address ([email protected]). Please feel free to use whichever method you prefer. GOOD LUCK and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Angela
cemetary

Eddyville, KY

#30 Oct 3, 2011
there is a calvery cemetary near raywick.
Stephen Miller

Palo Alto, CA

#31 Oct 4, 2011
Thank you. I think the Calvery Virginia meant is in Louisville. Are there many cemetaries near or around Raywick?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raywick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 29 min Paul 167,573
Lamer 1 hr His ex 1
church of the nazerene 2 hr davis 1
New couples 5 hr Misty 20
quotes of the day 12 hr Wondering 25
Hiding Relationships 19 hr Why 1
Buddy Love 23 hr Lily 14

Raywick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Raywick Mortgages