Bullock Family
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stephen Miller

United States

#1 Jul 26, 2010
I'm looking to get in contact with any members of the Bullock family desended from Irvin Bullock (B) 1835 and Mollie Bullock (B) 1845 for a family research project. I have them living in Raywick in 1870. Thank you.
Virginia

Macomb, MI

#2 Aug 6, 2010
I read your posting about people descended from Irvin and Mollie Bullock and wanted to let you know I am a descendant. My great grandmother was Katherine Bullock who was their daughter.
Stephen Miller

United States

#3 Aug 6, 2010
Hi,

I've been reserching my family and I am finding my great grandmother named Irene Bullock desended from Irvin and Mollie. But their are 2 records of an Irene Bullock from Raywick differing in age by about 3 years although the facts aren't always written in stone and people can pretend that they are younger. Do you know anything about Irene Bullock? I believe she should be the sister of your great grandmother,unless there were two Irene Bullocks from Raywick which seems very unlikely. Have you done any family history?
Thanks,
Stephen Miller
Virginia

Macomb, MI

#4 Aug 6, 2010
She is absolutely my great grandmothers sister and it is one and the same Irene Bullock. I have done quite a bit of research. Irvin Bullock fathered about 25 children with three different wives. He has a lot of descendants. If you don't mind me asking, are you african american or white?
Thanks
Stephen Miller

United States

#5 Aug 9, 2010
If you would rather do the rest of our conversation more privately, you can email my work address.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Stephen
Stephen Miller

United States

#6 Aug 9, 2010
I wrote a longer responce but I don't see it here. Did you get it?

Stephen
Stephen Miller

United States

#7 Aug 9, 2010
Looks like my onger esponce didn't make it. Irene should be my great grandmother. Her son Delbert is listed on my father's birth certificate but he was never in the picture. I don't know if my grandmother was an unwed mother, if they ever married or what. All I know is about 12 years ago my father called Delbert and ask some questions and Delbert seemed to think that it was diffinetly possible he was dad's father. They nevr pursued a relationship for many reasons. But know that I am doing my family research I wanted to find out more about this side of my family whom I've never met. Delbert went on to marry and have 2 more children, Fred and Alberta. Fred passed about 3 years ago but Alberta is still alive. I sent a letter to the business Fred owned in Louisville and it was answered by daughter. We emailed back and forth and decided it was very posiible that we are related. SHe even has agreed to do a DNA test with me for the final conclusion. But then Alberta decided that it was too much water under the bridge and why bring it up now. Maybe she knows something about the race beibg an issue back then? But I am still in contact with the granddaughter and she wants to prove the relations as well.
I am white are you white or African American? I saw in some records that Irvin is considered Mullato (the census word, not mine) in some records and Black in others. I think it's greta ypu've done research. Do you have any family photos?
Thanks,
Stephen
Virginia

Macomb, MI

#8 Aug 9, 2010
I just received your response. I am African American but definitely a descendant. It does seem that Irvin Bullock was a mulatto which matches up to the family stories I have heard my whole life. It seems that that some of Irvin and Mollie's offspring were extremely fair skinned and may have passed for white and went onto marry someone white and produce children. The other group of children such as my great grandmother were more brown skinned and could not pass. As a result, their are two lines of descendants; some white and some black. The fact that you are white proves my hypothesis and the family stories I grew up hearing. I have an old photo of a man that my mother says is her uncle Nick which would be Benedict Bullock. He was my mother's great uncle and her grandmother, Katherine Bullock's, brother. I was born and raised in Louisville and my mother still lives there as well as many other Bullock descendants.
Stephen Miller

United States

#9 Aug 10, 2010
I was raised in Louisville as well. I went to the Brown school and DuPont Manual. I moved out to Ca. in 81 It would be great to find some old photos of the family. I would love to see what Irene looked like and would be interested in the picture of your great uncle Nick.
I'm sure it's kind of a sad story which I am only discovering now. It seems Irene went to Louisville and became a Helper/maid in a boarding house and had 2 children by Fred Miller (no record of him being born or dying) One child, Lilian, mysteriously dissapears after her first 5 years. Could it be she was showing some African American traits and was sent away? Does your family have any records of a woman named Lillian?
Anyway, after 10 years Irene is married to Fred Miller and running a boarding house, although Fred never took the census, he was just listed as Irene's husband. Later she is listed as head of household with one child, Delbert, my grandfather. Then it appears she marries one of the boarders last name of Huchtker I believe. Still no mention of Fred, leavin, dying etc. Anyway may I ask your name? Where do you live? My father still lives in Louisville and I try to get back there evry other year.
Virginia

Macomb, MI

#10 Aug 10, 2010
My name is Angela Mason and I live in Northern Virginia a suburb of Washington, D.C. I also graduated from DuPont Manual HS in 1976 and then graduated from Bellarmine University in 1980. I will ask my mother if she has any more information on Irene and/or Lillian or anything that may be of interest to you. Lillian may very well have shown some African American traits since it appears that many of the Bullock offspring passed as white if they were light skinned enough. My research shows that after emancipation Irvin Bullock owns land with a farm house. The records also show he could not read or write but here he was a land owner. Talk about amazing. Here is a man who could not read or write and spent his entire life enslaved but somehow was able to become a land owner. What happened to his land? Are there still descendants living in Raywick and the surrounding areas?Recently, I visited Raywick and Lebanon, Kentucky and went to the courthouse to find evidence of his existence and maybe some land record. Unfortunately, I did not have sufficient time to complete my research since the records are all handwritten and require you to go through numerous books. My mother also lives in Louisville and get back there frequently as well. There are lots of Bullock descendants in Louisville. It is quite amazing.
Stephen Miller

United States

#11 Aug 11, 2010
Angela,

This is amazing. I was at Manual in '77. We just missed each other. I too would love to know where the farm is located. I hope to get back to Louisville in Nov. and plan on visiting Raywick. I wish I could find more information on Fred Miller who married Irene and would be my great grandfather.
It seems that there has got to be descendents left in Raywick. I can only hope that some of the Bullocks have family history or photos. Does your mother have brothers or sisters who may know anything? i would love to find out what happened to Lillian. I'll check to see if there is birth certificate as I think she was born in Louisville. I would really like it if we stayed in contact and, again, you may write my work email address:
[email protected] I currently work for the City of Eureka (CA) and use this email mostly as my home computer is so slow. Are you on Facebook?

So for research, does one go to the Labanon Courthouse? Is there a place to search for records in Raywick? This is all so interesting.
Sincerely,
Stephen
Virginia

Macomb, MI

#12 Aug 11, 2010
Stephen, you're right, this is extremely interesting. I have learned so much and there is still alot to discover. And yes, you would go to the Lebanon Courthouse which is were I went. The Raywick Courthouse was burned down during the Civil War, one of 13 that this happened to during the War. I have uncovered another descendant who is the Museum Manager for the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia in Richmond, Virginia. She is also working on the family tree of the Bullocks and may have some information. She may also be useful in helping me understand historically what was happening. I believe that the Bullock's originated in Dooley, Georgia moved into North Carolina and then to Virginia/Kentucky and Kentucky. My goal is to prove this hypothesis and to eventually view the slave schedules, property documents and last will and testament of Mr. Irvin Bullock who owned a plantation in Dooley, Georgia. Maybe I will be able to find our Irvin Bullock in these records. I will check for Lillian, Fred Miller and Irene with other descendants. I very much would like to stay in touch and share information. Unfortunately, I am not on facebook but I can email you at your office if you prefer. Thanks for responding. It helps me continue my difficult search to know there are others out there who are interested. Take care.
Stephen

United States

#13 Aug 12, 2010
Angela,

Thank you for the informative reply. Your research sounds fascinating. A Geogian plantation owner, a relative in the Black History Museum and Cultural Center, Wow.
If I find anything important, of course I will share and thanks for wanting to stay in touch and share your findings. My time today is short as I am leaving on a long weekend, but I will be back in touch next week. Untill then Take care.
Stephen
Stephen

United States

#14 Aug 17, 2010
Angela,

I am also on Ancestry.com and thought you might be interested in a reply I got back from a member who was also researching the Bullock family. Also,according to a census report, Irene had two more members of ther Bullock family living with her when she was runibg a boarding house. I will get back to you with the names. The reply follows:

Dear Stephen, You had messaged me back in July about Irene Bullock Miller. I have been working on this and wondered if you could tell me Irene's middle intial. I have an Irene Bullock on my husband's side of the family. I am in touch with a relative on my husband's side, the Bullock side, that is black. My husband is white. We have found out that If Irene's mother's name was Mollie and her father, Irvin Bullock that they were mulatto. They were slaves to an Irvin Bullock that was White. He obviously slept with his slaves and this is where the mixed children came from. So my husband is related to the slave and the slave owner. It has been a very interesting experience learning all this. Let me know if this sounds like your relative. Thanks Susan

I asked Susan to share the relative's name with me and that you might be interested in corresponding with this Bullock rtelative as well. I suggested that Susan and the relative could follow us to this site. I will keep you infortmed of the progress.

Stephen
Stephen

United States

#15 Aug 24, 2010
Dear Angela,

A bit of information I found was on Irene Bullock's Death Certificate. He son Delbert signed on it and it stated that her Mother's last name was Avery (Mollie). I'm assuming that was her maiden name unless she remarried. DO you know anything about this?

Stephen
xceo

Waterloo, Canada

#16 Aug 25, 2010
Hi Stephen, yes I think I do know something. There was a Mollie Avery who was white that married a Bullock. I don't believe she is the same Mollie Bullock thta was married to Irvin Bullock and the sister of my great grandmother Katherine. I don' know what the maiden name of the mulatto Mollie was but her parentage would more than likely be unknown since she was more than likely born into slavery. I do believe there is some connection between the two. It may be possible Mollie (the mulatto) may have been owned by the Avery family. If you search for the Avery family you will see what I am referring to. In Raywick, Ky. The farms were smaller and there were very few large plantations like you would find in other parts of the south. It seems there was a lot of mixing between the races and the families. I know its not much but I hope it helps. I am still working on putting all of the pieces together.
Angela
Stephen

United States

#17 Aug 26, 2010
Daer Angela,

I was wondering if you have done any DNA test for your relations? I am in contact with (as you know) with Delbert Miller's family, the man whom I believe was my grandfather. His family seems very hesitant to do any DNA tests to prove we are related. This is just a chapter I would like to know as my father never met his father and they only talked once. I can tell, you know the need to know where we came from, and I would so like to know about the other half of my family. As my days on this earth grow shorter the need to know becomes more important. I don't suppose you know of a test to prove you and I are related? I just wish I knew. It would be like the missing puzzle piece to my humanity.
Hope all is well with you.
Sincerely,
Steve
xceo

Warwick, RI

#18 Aug 26, 2010
Stephen, off the top of my head I don't know of any specific test but I am sure something exists. I do know how to find out. I will check and get back with you. Why do you think Delbert's family is so reluctant? Do you believe your Irene and my Irene are one and the same? I am in search of the truth based on the facts and not the family folklore which I have heard a lot of throughout my life. The story of the Bullocks is a fascinating story. I want to know who these people were and what happened to them.
Stephen

United States

#19 Aug 30, 2010
Dear Angela,

One reason Delbert's family is reluctant is that the oldest member of the Family, Delbertís daughter Alberta, was told by her grand niece (whom I am in contact with) about the possibility that my father is her half brother,(this according to the phone conversation that my father had with Delbert 15 years ago when Delbert knew of my grandmother, admitted to "being" with her and said that it could be very likely that my father was his son)
Alberta informed her great niece that the time to clear up all this was when it happened (1933) and she saw no reason to go into it now. Why, maybe she knew of some of the background and didn't want it dredged up? Who knows? One would think if you had a half brother within 25 miles you'd never met, you would be interested.

The main reasons I think my Irene (Irine) is one in the same as yours is that on her death certificate, It's listed Raywick as her birth town and Mollie Avery as her mother. I think in my first or second letter to you I mentioned that it would be too much of a chance to have 2 Irene Bullocks from Raywick (even though the birth years are off by 2 in the census). Also, the Irene who married Fred (Delbert's Father) had two Bullocks living in the same household (Mary Bullock and Benjamin Bullock). It looks like Mary never married and I'm not sure what happened to Benjamin. I do believe these are siblings of Irene and children of Irvin and Mollie.
Finally, if the great niece of Delbert can convince one of her brothers to do a DNA I can prove that I am related to Delbert because most test are done on either a male line or female line so:
Delbert - My father - Me

Delbert -(another Stephen now deceased)- and his son, the great nieces' brother, if one of them will do it with me.

Another reason they may be reluctant, is that they are afraid we might be after money, although there is no legal standing on that. I just want to know.
I will be in Louisville in November and the niece and I will meet. She says she is going to ask her brothers if they are willing to do the test. I hope so. I just want the missing piece put in. Anyway, hope you are well.

Stephen
Bullock heritage

United States

#20 Aug 31, 2010
I have researched the Bullock families from the following states;Missouri;Tennessee: Vermont;Virginia: Maryland; North Carolina; I have research my lineage from these states into England 1047 to present day. I have a cousin that has much more on the Bullock families that I currently have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raywick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solar Eclipse Glasses 1 hr Dawna Gribbins 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr ChromiuMan 166,396
Jeremy wilcoxson (May '16) 2 hr Dawna Gribbins 15
Chris Chomo Agee 2 hr Dawna Gribbins 1
Lincoln Ballwash Fall Festival! 2 hr Chris the chomo 1
Lil Avah Perkins assaulted by Gummy. 15 hr Mayme Hashish 1
Hello. My name is Dawna. 15 hr P Gribbins 3

Raywick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Raywick Mortgages