Cruelty to greyhounds must end

Full story: North Adams Transcript

I'm writing to urge all readers to please vote YES on Question 3, on Nov. 4. Question 3 is the Greyhound Protection Act, which, if passed, will phase out greyhound racing in Massachusetts by Jan.
Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated Nov 13, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 27, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Yet there is no no concern for an eight-year-old to kill himself at a gun show in Massachusetts with an Uzi. No wonder Liberals like Kennedy and Kerry continue to win in this backwards Commonwealth.
Remember When

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 27, 2008
 
Get Real wrote:
Yet there is no no concern for an eight-year-old to kill himself at a gun show in Massachusetts with an Uzi. No wonder Liberals like Kennedy and Kerry continue to win in this backwards Commonwealth.
Of course there's concern for an 8 year-old. However, the TOPIC is the Greyhound Protection Act. Why is it that when someone wants to protect animals, there's always someone who changes the subject to children? Can't we protect both?
Truckdriver

Watervliet, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 27, 2008
 
PLease vote es on three. Thank you

Since: Sep 08

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 27, 2008
 
Truckdriver wrote:
PLease vote es on three. Thank you
There is no doubt about it, I am voting yes on banning Greyhound racing-now if only the same thing could be done for horse racing which is just as cruel.
Wonderland Worker

Malden, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 27, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Forget about the races, what about the people who are 'into' animals. Hmmm...
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 28, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

1

To even think that Greyhound and Horse Racing is cruel is simply crazy, but I would expect nothing less in Massachusetts.
Have Another Mint Julep

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 28, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Get Real wrote:
To even think that Greyhound and Horse Racing is cruel is simply crazy, but I would expect nothing less in Massachusetts.
Oh yeah. I guess none of watched what happened to Barbaro, or Eight Belles. I guess no one has ever seen the devastation of the beautiful greyhounds. Yup. We're all just making this up. Let's keep abusing animals to fuel the gambling world and put more money in the pockets of the "country gentlemen." These "sports" are completely dispensable. There is simply no reason to abuse any of God's creatures for human entertainment.
Question

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 28, 2008
 
Wonderland Worker wrote:
Forget about the races, what about the people who are 'into' animals. Hmmm...
What about them?
lakeville ma man

Lynn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 28, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Vote yes on 3 If people want to watch racing, Buy some running shoes and race yourself. If you fall and hurt yourself get up and stop your whinning, heal fast and do it again and be good. If not you will be retired and dropped of somewhere with others who are hurt. Sound Familiar Mr Ky. Why don't you run around for me so I can bet money on you, are you fast! And you say animal racing isn't cruel! Thank God for people in Ma.
Da Doc

Monson, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 28, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I am told that "retired" Greyhounds make wonderful pets. Of course animal rights activists don't think that an animal should be a "pet" in the first place or last place. Greyhounds are bred to race. If you close down greyhound racing where will these wonderful pets come from? The breed will probably die out. That would seem to be a shame. Of course a "rescued" greyhound would not make the most appropriate "pet" for a lot of dog lovers. But if the breed provides no functional use? Why bother breeding? I intend to vote "yes" on question 3---so don't think that I am defending greyhound racing--just raising an issue that should be part of the debate. if you destroy greyhound racing do you destroy the breed?

Since: Sep 08

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 28, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Da Doc wrote:
I am told that "retired" Greyhounds make wonderful pets. Of course animal rights activists don't think that an animal should be a "pet" in the first place or last place. Greyhounds are bred to race. If you close down greyhound racing where will these wonderful pets come from? The breed will probably die out. That would seem to be a shame. Of course a "rescued" greyhound would not make the most appropriate "pet" for a lot of dog lovers. But if the breed provides no functional use? Why bother breeding? I intend to vote "yes" on question 3---so don't think that I am defending greyhound racing--just raising an issue that should be part of the debate. if you destroy greyhound racing do you destroy the breed?
Correction-rescued greyhounds make very sweet pets, I know someone that adopted a pair, and besides being extremely nervous around strangers, they were very loving dogs. A greyhound is a domestic animal, and can become man's bestfriend just as easily as any other breed of dog. Yes, they love to run as do many other dogs, they were built for high speed, but not to be exploited by racing for money.
Da Doc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 28, 2008
 
Bengal wrote:
<quoted text>Correction-rescued greyhounds make very sweet pets, I know someone that adopted a pair, and besides being extremely nervous around strangers, they were very loving dogs. A greyhound is a domestic animal, and can become man's bestfriend just as easily as any other breed of dog. Yes, they love to run as do many other dogs, they were built for high speed, but not to be exploited by racing for money.
Apparently Bengal can't read. I never said that Greyhounds were not sweet dogs. They make great pets for the right owner. My question was since Greyhounds are bred primarily for the racing industry--will they be bred for the general public "pet" industry?

Since: Sep 08

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 28, 2008
 
Da Doc wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently Bengal can't read. I never said that Greyhounds were not sweet dogs. They make great pets for the right owner. My question was since Greyhounds are bred primarily for the racing industry--will they be bred for the general public "pet" industry?
I don't see why greyhounds can not be bred as pets, they are very agile dogs and would make a good family pet. Yes, I can read, no thanks for the insult.
Da Doc

Biddeford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 28, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Bengal wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see why greyhounds can not be bred as pets, they are very agile dogs and would make a good family pet. Yes, I can read, no thanks for the insult.
Look dipstick-- "no thanks for the insult"? then why did you lead with "correction"-- you didn't correct a damn thing- there was nothing to correct---so let's let all the greyhounds in the country die---pets?? only for guilt ridden lefties
who feel redeemed by rescueing a greyhound-- when there are no greyhounds left?? I guess the guilt will be over--get a rug rat instead---

Since: Jun 08

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 29, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

it's not like they're making them fight one another... they're racing, like conditioned athletes of the canine olympics.they're not harvested for food... i think you really need to pick your battles...there are so many worse scenarios involving animals, some might think you were pushing it a bit with this one, leaving more pressing situations with less attention.
KIm

South Hadley, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 29, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Im with you Jassy. Let the doggies run. Cripes they are just running. Hire a 'doggie representative' who will be the voice for the dogs. reporting abuse etc.... Get over it.
simply put

Holyoke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 29, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

KIm wrote:
Im with you Jassy. Let the doggies run. Cripes they are just running. Hire a 'doggie representative' who will be the voice for the dogs. reporting abuse etc.... Get over it.
Yeah, they are "just running" until they take a spill or crash into another dog, then at that point they are so horribly injured that they have to be put down.
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 30, 2008
 

Judged:

1

The Liberal Hate Mongers continue to throw name calling and hatred around to get their points across. Do not let these bullies win - VOTE NO ON 3.
wrong

Holyoke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 30, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Get Real wrote:
The Liberal Hate Mongers continue to throw name calling and hatred around to get their points across. Do not let these bullies win - VOTE NO ON 3.
bozo :-p
Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 30, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Get Real wrote:
The Liberal Hate Mongers continue to throw name calling and hatred around to get their points across. Do not let these bullies win - VOTE NO ON 3.
bozo :-p Posted by wrong
----------
Rather funny that when you confront an uninformed bully - all you get back is Name calling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Raynham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Kundrot dionkie 4,699
Public works employee allegedly sold heroin out... Aug 2 reality is a crutch 1
Reinhart Foodservice agrees to buy AGAR Supply ... (Sep '12) Jun '14 Manuel 5
Gerald Bigeau (Oct '09) Jun '14 interested 2
help need serious cash Jun '14 stuck 1
harrigans May '14 bill 1

Search the Raynham Forum:
•••
•••
Raynham Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Raynham Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Raynham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Raynham News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Raynham
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••