Missouri attorney sues Mayo Clinic for malpractice

A federal jury will decide if Mayo Clinic doctors were negligent in their treatment of a Kansas attorney who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, underwent surgery and then learned he didn't have cancer after all. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Flim Flam Man

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 25, 2009
this will be interesting
amazed

Saint Augustine, FL

#2 Mar 25, 2009
This is riduclious the Doctors at Mayo are Respectable Doctors and the law suite has been dismissed twice, and it should be denied to be heard because this man just wants to get a free ride and make it even more harder for us that need the Mayo clinic to get treatment. PLEASE DROP THE CHARGES SO WE ALL CAN GET THE TREATMENT THAT WE NEED AT A REASONABLE PRICE. Thank you.
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 25, 2009
How can you have cancer and then not have cancer?
O2bsane

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 25, 2009
amazed wrote:
This is riduclious the Doctors at Mayo are Respectable Doctors and the law suite has been dismissed twice, and it should be denied to be heard because this man just wants to get a free ride and make it even more harder for us that need the Mayo clinic to get treatment. PLEASE DROP THE CHARGES SO WE ALL CAN GET THE TREATMENT THAT WE NEED AT A REASONABLE PRICE. Thank you.
Give me a break, you would do the same thing. Guess what, these respectable doctors can still screw up and should still be held accountable for their mistakes just like the rest of us!
bad judicial system

Stillwater, MN

#6 Mar 25, 2009
(amazed) you are wrong they made a mistake and they should pay for it and i hope something like this happens to you and then we will see how you react you dumb as*.THE judges who dismissed it i hope something like that happens to them to, i bet they would sue and get what they wanted.
amazed at amazed

Stillwater, MN

#7 Mar 25, 2009
Amazed, why dont you complain to the government about high medical prices, if you had a brain you would know why medical help and perscriptions are so high.
GENO

Mound, MN

#8 Mar 25, 2009
One of the reasons our health care system is so high. Get lawyers out of government and healthcare and we all will be better off.
HUH

Wyoming, MN

#9 Mar 25, 2009
amazed at amazed wrote:
Amazed, why dont you complain to the government about high medical prices, if you had a brain you would know why medical help and perscriptions are so high.
You can complain to the gov't all you want but we all know what happens there...in one ear and out the other! Just from past experience with different providers, I went to one and they charged me an enormous amount for the same thing my husband had who paid a much lower price. I went to my provider and asked why such a difference. Amazingly enough, they now charge the same price! It's the providers who want to reap all of the benefits- the gov't just wants to put caps on what Americans can do thats all.
JHH

Rochester, MN

#10 Mar 26, 2009
This exemplifies a major reason health care costs are spiraling out of control and crippling our economy. We all know the Mayo Clinic is among the most reputable medical centers in the world. These malpractice claims are changing the way doctors can practice - constantly ordering test after test, procedure after procedure - just to try to prevent a lawsuit. Of course these situations are unfortunate - it could be any of us - but we have to accept it. Even the best doctors can make mistakes, just like any other profession. BUT - it's not always mistakes - these things aren't always black and white. Tests can give false readings - it is just the way it is. A drug works magic for 99.9% of the population, but maybe is harmful for very few. Should we subject everyone to 10 extra costly tests? How much are we willing to pay (or maybe I should say add to the national debt) for things to be "perfect"? There are no easy answers, but handing out malpractice money and making our doctors go overboard in the face of fear clearly isn't working.
Joe

Haymarket, VA

#11 Oct 18, 2010
The truth is that any doctor can screw up. Mayo Clinic has excellent doctors, but they too are human and can screw up. If someone screws up with someone's life, they should be held accountable - doctor/no doctor - Mayo Clinic or your local hospital.

People have said that Mayo Clinic gets off many of its cases because anyone treated in MN and lives in MN has to go to Olmsted County to get tried, which has of course jurors with direct or indirect connections with Mayo Clinic (very small town where Mayo is). As such most can not get a fair trial - although the Judge, in that small county is the one to say it.

The only one's that have a chance seem to be ones that get treated in MN, but live outside of MN. They have to be then tried in Federal Court, but again unless you have a heavy weight hospital such as the Cleveland Clinic telling Mayo Clinic that they screwed up (Ali vs Tyson), most don't stand a chance in hell. Its rigged that way, and Mayo Clinic uses the largest law firms in the area. As such potential clients don't have a chance and there is conflict of interest, so finding a good lawyer is hard.

If my understanding is correct Mayo has lost two cases total in all the cases that have been brought against them. However, this doesn't say how many have been settled. I was unable to find that figure.

The thing is - regardless of anything else - if a doctor was negligent, careless, or misssed steps during what should be routine - they should be held accountable. Unfortunately, Mayo is like a member of Congress, and a lawsuit against a Congressman/woman is beyond extremely difficult. Mayo is also very well connected. Many from Mayo have come out with excellent results, and many have not. It's unfortunately the legal system isn't quite blind to mistakes coming from Mayo vs other hospitals in this country.
Pete

Chaska, MN

#12 Nov 25, 2011
Some of them are arrogant sobs doctors who think they can do anything and get away with it because they work for the Mayo. They killed my wife after one bad decisions followed many more. The Mayo has got to address these young inexperienced doctors who just took off their training wheels. They assign very complicated medical cases to some very inexperienced doctors and go about killing and maiming. And do not question what the nurses are doing or you will be sorry.
recieived horrible care

Wausau, WI

#13 Dec 2, 2011
mayo clinic is in a downward spiral.they do experimental surgeries on the patient,was given a 90% outcome of sucess on hand surgery and this so called top notched surgeon failed miserably.i am left with a severely disabled hand and was told by fda that the surgeon was not supposed to be using alloderm to replace a bone in my hand.the alloderm has been recalled and i was informed to report this to the mayo surgeon,i have tried multiple times,mayo has refused to take care of the problem and is running and left me alone to deal with the mess.this mayo doctor tried to force me to sign a care contract because he and the other doctors failed multiple times in many aspects of my care,and if i refused they would terminate all my care.trying to force a care contract on a patient while under physical distress is a total injustice to the mn. patient rights.these idividual doctors are so senseless and arrogant.the mayo system as a whole has proven to be incompetent ,greed driven system that needs to be shut down and investigated,this doctors nurse asked me to return my pain med to them.i found that too peculiar i told her that was against the federal law.i went thru multiple painful surgeries and the post-op care was HORRIBLE!THEY ADVERTISE THE NEEDS OF THE PATIENT COMES FIRST------$$$$ POST-OP I AM LEFT MUCH WORSE OFF.AVOID THIS PLACE------ALL THEY CARE IS HOW MUCH MONEY THEY CAN GET OFF THE SICK AND THE PEOPLE IN PAIN!!!!ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!
dionne

Fort Dodge, IA

#14 May 10, 2012
JHH wrote:
This exemplifies a major reason health care costs are spiraling out of control and crippling our economy. We all know the Mayo Clinic is among the most reputable medical centers in the world. These malpractice claims are changing the way doctors can practice - constantly ordering test after test, procedure after procedure - just to try to prevent a lawsuit. Of course these situations are unfortunate - it could be any of us - but we have to accept it. Even the best doctors can make mistakes, just like any other profession. BUT - it's not always mistakes - these things aren't always black and white. Tests can give false readings - it is just the way it is. A drug works magic for 99.9% of the population, but maybe is harmful for very few. Should we subject everyone to 10 extra costly tests? How much are we willing to pay (or maybe I should say add to the national debt) for things to be "perfect"? There are no easy answers, but handing out malpractice money and making our doctors go overboard in the face of fear clearly isn't working.
youare mistaken. mayo killed my husband. the reason that there is malpractice insurance is because of malpractice.-dionne
dionne

Fort Dodge, IA

#15 May 10, 2012
i knew more about my husband's leukemia than did his doctor. i kept telling myself that i must be mistaken. however, i was correct and my husband is gone.
disappointed

Libertyville, IL

#16 Sep 15, 2012
Mayo Clinic is filled with human beings that make mistakes and they have gotten too big. When they are not held accountable, there is no reason for them to be cautious. I have spent the last 3 years trying to find out why I was in so much pain and Mayo performed MULTIPLE tests on me with the answer in front of them all along. When I got no relief, I went from doctor to doctor to get an answer. Finally found out that the answer was there in front of Mayo's face the whole time. When I ask them to re-read the test, they refused. Because they can. Now I am in physically worse shape, spent 3 years in pain and suffering and the surgery I need is going to be far worse. The first attorney I spoke with wouldn't take my case because "no one can win against Mayo, they own the whole town".
disappointed

Libertyville, IL

#17 Sep 15, 2012
Dionne,
I'm so sorry. Something needs to be done about the medical practices. It's not malpractice that makes insurance rates sky high. It's stupid doctors that cannot critical think or think outside the box. It's doctors that run test after test after test for the money, when the know what the problem is the whole time. Just think, if they get you well, where will their income come from? Doctors do not get paid when people are well. Neither do hospitals, technicians, drug companies. Take your health into your own hands and do your research, no matter how disgusted your doctor seems to be at your efforts. It's your body.
I can help

United States

#18 Jan 14, 2013
Any one that has a problem. I understand. I can help. We have experienced all the above and more. We are in process of a book and a movie. Would like to hear your story. There is strength in numbers, we will see some justice.......... heybuffalobob@hotmail.com
What About Bob

Fargo, ND

#19 Mar 29, 2013
Mayo Clinic physicians need to be held accountable for their negligent practices; however, they get away with murder because nobody has the balls to stand up to them and make them be accountable. Mayo Clinic pays off politicians, physicians from outside hospitals, and anyone else that gets involved in a POTENTIAL medical malpractice case. Their CEO is a dirty crooked doctor, their Office of Patient Affairs is dirty/nasty/crooked/unethical. They change patient's medical records to hide any hint of cancer. Then the follow their patients to any other outside facility and either pressure by influence or they pay the radiologists, nephrologists, urologists, gynecologists, etc. to lie to their patient and cover up any cancer diagnosis JUST incase the patient or their family might sue in the future. Mayo Clinic is worse than the mafia because the mafia has rules and Mayo Clinic does not. Bad, bad, bad people at Mayo Clinic. The Minnesota Board of Medicine covers for the Mayo Clinic as well. They have NEVER disciplined a Mayo Clinic physician. They are paid very well to side with Mayo Clinic. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, make sure you check your medical records because they falsify medical records frequently.
EX Mayo Patient

Fargo, ND

#20 Mar 29, 2013
recieived horrible care wrote:
mayo clinic is in a downward spiral.they do experimental surgeries on the patient,was given a 90% outcome of sucess on hand surgery and this so called top notched surgeon failed miserably.i am left with a severely disabled hand and was told by fda that the surgeon was not supposed to be using alloderm to replace a bone in my hand.the alloderm has been recalled and i was informed to report this to the mayo surgeon,i have tried multiple times,mayo has refused to take care of the problem and is running and left me alone to deal with the mess.this mayo doctor tried to force me to sign a care contract because he and the other doctors failed multiple times in many aspects of my care,and if i refused they would terminate all my care.trying to force a care contract on a patient while under physical distress is a total injustice to the mn. patient rights.these idividual doctors are so senseless and arrogant.the mayo system as a whole has proven to be incompetent ,greed driven system that needs to be shut down and investigated,this doctors nurse asked me to return my pain med to them.i found that too peculiar i told her that was against the federal law.i went thru multiple painful surgeries and the post-op care was HORRIBLE!THEY ADVERTISE THE NEEDS OF THE PATIENT COMES FIRST------$$$$ POST-OP I AM LEFT MUCH WORSE OFF.AVOID THIS PLACE------ALL THEY CARE IS HOW MUCH MONEY THEY CAN GET OFF THE SICK AND THE PEOPLE IN PAIN!!!!ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!
Be careful with Mayo Clinic. They are capable of doing much worse to you if you become a threat to them. Mayo Clinic will use their IT department to hack into your home computers and email. They will flatten your tires, put sugar in your gas tank, whatever need to do to keep you from being a threat to them. They will contact your new physicians and tell them you are suing them so that your doctors won't treat you, or they will have your new doctors falsify your medial records. BEWARE. Mayo Clinic has a lot of evil people working for them to prevent potential malpractice cases.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#21 Apr 17, 2013
Medical and psych history was illegally accessed by an employee at Mayo's ED and patient was notified after they fired this employee after their 6 month audit and then take 4 months to tell them and the other 13 patients. The fact that most of these records are psych records and the patients are Mentally Ill makes it all the worse. If you come back and complain about anything they can just treat you like you are crazy and it's all in your head (when you get another test(CT) result from another hospital and the tests are completely different, don't tell the Mayo they'll just say they thought of that but was "Pretty" sure it wasn't) and because of that they(pdocs) have the power to put you in their lovely Generose when there was no reason to begin with. All because you make a fuss about your now record,(They make it confidential)(It can harm the patient-doctor relationship)Think that something is up with the fact that they made this patients record confidential 2 ˝ months before they got the notice to the patient?? They get away with murder, directly or indirectly, Patient lives in this state, has to get care here at Mayo and in this state. Want to say screwed...? I don't get why a lawyer that has evidence in their hands given to them plain as day won’t stand up and fight for the little guy. Talk about paranoia when you weren’t before..! Mayo can hire anyone to hurt you and your family. I once told a police offer in this town after making a report about someone (they are indirectly involved with Mayo and the police dept) charges were never even thought about. The person was just talked too. I told this officer I could be murdered, they could have a video of it with the persons face on it and they would get away with it. Welcome to the MAYO CLINIC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raymore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 5 min mjjcpa 435
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 26 min OEM Oasis 2,697
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Yellow Dawg Democrat 96,916
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr WARRIOR 19,208
Ukraine lawmakers ratify landmark deal with Europe 6 hr DYING RUSSIA 1
Brothers Word MC (Sep '11) 10 hr Independent 66
gypsy aces mc - kc (Dec '11) 12 hr Joe 22
•••
•••

Raymore Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Raymore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••