Posted in the Raymond Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Thomas Moore

United States

#1 Jun 24, 2009
From the Kittery Trading Post fishing report:
The Sebago Lake fishing seems to be like an open book.“There are so many togue (lake trout) here and the fishing is great,” complained Carroll Cutting at Jordan’s Store in East Sebago. My complaint is that people don’t appreciate the fact that this is world class togue fishing and all they seem to want is salmon!”

Carroll Cutting is correct. ALL WE WANT IS SALMON! Will the MDIFW ever understand this? Or do they understand this and just don't care. Because Landlocked Atlantic Salmon are indigenous to Sebago Lake, Sebago Lake should be a world class Landlocked Atlantic Salmon fishery. And it could be if the MDIFW would rid the lake of the alien togue. It is illegal for persons to introduce non-native species into the lake. We can't even release leftover shiners into the lake. But it was OK for the MDIFW to introduce non-native togue into Sebago Lake (How's that workin' out for ya?). And each season, the MDIFW sounds the alarm when there is a Northern Pike "sighting". If the MDIFW spent as much time, money and effort on the togue problem as they do on the Northern pike "problem", Sebago Lake would be in much better shape.
James Beardsley

Biddeford, ME

#2 Aug 26, 2009
So tell us how you really feel.
dave

Bangor, ME

#3 Sep 7, 2009
i like fishing. fishing is good
Greg Healey

Old Orchard Beach, ME

#4 Jan 31, 2010
Thomas Moore wrote:
From the Kittery Trading Post fishing report:
The Sebago Lake fishing seems to be like an open book.“There are so many togue (lake trout) here and the fishing is great,” complained Carroll Cutting at Jordan’s Store in East Sebago. My complaint is that people don’t appreciate the fact that this is world class togue fishing and all they seem to want is salmon!”
Carroll Cutting is correct. ALL WE WANT IS SALMON! Will the MDIFW ever understand this? Or do they understand this and just don't care. Because Landlocked Atlantic Salmon are indigenous to Sebago Lake, Sebago Lake should be a world class Landlocked Atlantic Salmon fishery. And it could be if the MDIFW would rid the lake of the alien togue. It is illegal for persons to introduce non-native species into the lake. We can't even release leftover shiners into the lake. But it was OK for the MDIFW to introduce non-native togue into Sebago Lake (How's that workin' out for ya?). And each season, the MDIFW sounds the alarm when there is a Northern Pike "sighting". If the MDIFW spent as much time, money and effort on the togue problem as they do on the Northern pike "problem", Sebago Lake would be in much better shape.
I think sebago lake should be a world class togue fishery. Think of the huge togue you could catch out of there if there wasnt a bounty. Salmon coming back to top notch in sebago is highly a possiblity with tons of work and money. I think we should put the money into producing 20,30, and even 40 pound togue

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#5 Feb 1, 2010
I disagree. Togue are an introduced species that destroyed the native salmon and whitefish populations. The state stocked 315,366 of them into a lake where they previously did not exist. They are like a fleet of vacuum cleaners, swallowing up everything in their path. And how much longer will it be before the cusk are also gone? Not that I targeted them as regularly but it was nice knowing pickerel, yellow perch, and hornpout were there too. The last time I caught a yellow perch and hornpout was in the 70's. Pickerel haven't been around the weeds/rocks in front of our camp since the 80's.
Here's a list (from the MDIFW website) of fish that are in Sebago Lake.

Landlocked salmon
Brook trout
Lake trout (togue)
Brown trout
Smallmouth bass
Largemouth bass
White perch
Yellow perch
Black crappie
Clain pickerel
Hornput (bullhead)
Rainbow smelt
American eel
White sucker
Longnose sucker
Lake whitefish
Golden shiner
Common shiner
Lake chub
Fallfish (chub)
Cusk
Pumpkinseed sunfish
Slimy sculpin
Ninespine stickleback

How many of these species are plentiful now that togue dominate the lake? And how do you think they became dominant? They feasted on that list of fish as if it were a dinner menu.
If you want to catch 20, 30 and 40lb fish, go fish the ocean. But if you insist on ruining Sebago Lake by loading it up with big, exotic species, why do it with togue? Togue are garbage. I throw them into the woods. Northern Pike, Muskellunge, and Striped Bass are much more desirable.
Greg Healey

Orrs Island, ME

#6 Feb 10, 2010
Well i throw all my togue back so they get bigger. And why bother fishing them if you just throw them in the woods thats the most unethical thing to do you cant really call yourself a sportsman after doing that.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 11, 2010
Greg Healey wrote:
Well i throw all my togue back so they get bigger. And why bother fishing them if you just throw them in the woods thats the most unethical thing to do you cant really call yourself a sportsman after doing that.
If you release your togue, than you too are not in agreement with the MDIFW. They want people to harvest togue because they're interfering with their efforts to improve the salmon population. The practice of catch and release can be both helpful and destructive. In this case, it is the latter.

I don't fish for togue. But it doesn't matter if I'm trolling a DB Smelt for Salmon or dragging a carolina rigged lizard for Bass, the togue are always there to hit my lure. There's a tip for you; you don't have to burn gas and troll the depths for togue. Just drift in 30 - 50 feet of water with your favorite Berkley Gulp! on the bottom. It's easy to use and it's biodegradable. Plus, they actually put up a fight unlike when you pull them up from deep water.

I can, and do, comfortably call myself a sportsman. If you believe it is unethical to help rid Sebago Lake of the alien togue in the hope that some day, one of the only five homes to indigenous Landlocked Atlantic Salmon is restored, than in your eyes, I'm guilty. If the togue were indigenous and the salmon were introduced, I'd be in favor of removing the salmon. Our waters are not laboratories. The togue in Sebago Lake aren't even from Maine. They were imported from New York. Is that not called being from "away"?

Now, how do you feel about restoring Sebago Lake's indigenous Whitefish? That's some good eatin'.
Greg Healey

Old Orchard Beach, ME

#8 Feb 16, 2010
I called you unsportsman like because you throw them on the shore. I have no problem with people who keep them and eat them or mount them. But i throw mine back and yes i keep the occasional one for dinner. But i dont see the salmon fishery coming back know that the alewives and pike are in there.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 25, 2010
Greg Healey wrote:
I called you unsportsman like because you throw them on the shore. I have no problem with people who keep them and eat them or mount them. But i throw mine back and yes i keep the occasional one for dinner. But i dont see the salmon fishery coming back know that the alewives and pike are in there.
True sportsmen are conservationists. We want the natural order (the salmon) preserved. You've already given up on Sebago Lake. Quitting is the easy path. Fortunately, the MDIFW disagrees with you on this as well and has a plan for managing the Salmon:

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/pdfs/sebago_...

I'm glad to hear you occasionally keep a togue. Please keep all of them and freeze the rest. There are plenty to spare.

Even though my poaching recipe makes a delicious Salmon, I throw them back hoping that eventually my efforts will be will be rewarded. I also replaced my treble hooks with siwash hooks because the trebles tear the mouth, face, and sometimes an eye of the Salmon. I use a rubber net because it's not as rough on the Salmon as a traditional net. And I only touch the Salmon when necessary. That's good sportsmanship.
Greg Healey

Old Orchard Beach, ME

#10 Feb 25, 2010
I throw all my togue bck bcause know that alewives and pike are in the lake i don't see the salmon fishing coming back so i woud rather catch togue. If i want good salmon fishing i go to kezar lake.
Fred

Potsdam, NY

#11 Apr 4, 2011
I have an amazing recipe for togue, if you plan on bringing them home for dinner.
1. clean togue.
2. find fresh pine board that fits in your oven.
3. place fish on pineboard and cook in oven.
4. pull both out and walk over to the trash.
5. slide togue into the trash.
6. enjoy pine board, because it is much better than togue.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 4, 2011
Fred, good recipe! And if people are speeding through your neighborhood, togue make good speed bumps.
dr sanitary

Newport Beach, CA

#13 May 12, 2011
how about you redencks stop pissing and a shittin in the lake maybe the catching will get better yup!
Thomas Moore

Ellensburg, WA

#14 May 13, 2011
dr sanitary wrote:
how about you redencks stop pissing and a shittin in the lake maybe the catching will get better yup!
What would a sofistakated some one from CaliForNeyeA no bout "redencks"? Is there "redencks" in da northeast? If der is, sho is glad to be one!
Anthony

Nonantum, MA

#15 May 19, 2011
About 6 years ago I read an artcle about an over abundance of togue in a Michigan lake. Their F&W department made a law that all togue caught must be kept or killed for that lake. One day I was out fishing on Sebago when a biologist taken a field sensus about the fishing came to our boat for info, which we provided. I told the biologist about the Michigan togue problem that I had read about. He told me that as far as he is concerned you can catch, kill and release the togue in Sebago. So, since that day that is what we do, per the advise of a Maine biologist. There really is to many togue in the lake. Becuse of the hugh population most are stunted in growth. More measures should be taken to lower their population.

Location hidden

#16 May 20, 2011
Anthony, glad to hear you're participating in STEP - Sebago Togue Eradication Program. That's a STEP in the right direction!
thomas

Islip, NY

#17 Sep 14, 2011
My question are there some catfish in this lake

Location hidden

#18 Sep 15, 2011
thomas wrote:
My question are there some catfish in this lake
I haven't seen one since the 1970's. Another consequence of the MDIFW dumping 315,366 togue into the lake?
John C

United States

#19 Nov 16, 2011
There are no Hornpout left, few Salmon, if any. Sebago is a mess, the water is kept high nearly year round for the boating population, the beaches are nearly all dimished. Ever try playing volleyball or frisbee on the beach at the park? Don't bother, the high water levels have destroyed our beaches, and I am sure it has an imapct on our fishing as well. The lake Trout that were introduced in the late seventies and early eighties have decimated our lake. last salmon I caught was at the locks 8 years ago.

Location hidden

#20 Nov 16, 2011
John C wrote:
There are no Hornpout left, few Salmon, if any. Sebago is a mess, the water is kept high nearly year round for the boating population, the beaches are nearly all dimished. Ever try playing volleyball or frisbee on the beach at the park? Don't bother, the high water levels have destroyed our beaches, and I am sure it has an imapct on our fishing as well. The lake Trout that were introduced in the late seventies and early eighties have decimated our lake. last salmon I caught was at the locks 8 years ago.
And we still have to purchase a license to fish Sebago. You'd think they'd let us fish without a license. After all, by killing togue, we're helping fix the mess the MDIFW created.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raymond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Truth About Sharon Terry and Elan School Nov 21 Elan Survivors 2
Debate: Romney-Ryan - Raymond, ME (Aug '12) Sep '12 charlie 5
'33 1/3': Squid Jiggers' CD pays tribute to vin... (Oct '11) Oct '11 artie 1
lknow what l am talking about (May '11) May '11 AMY GONZALEZ 1
13-Year-Old Boy Electrocuted In Standish (Aug '06) May '11 Dad 31
Review: Cell Phone Medic, Tm (Feb '11) Feb '11 Nathan 3
Who do you support for U.S. House in Maine (Dis... (Oct '10) Nov '10 CMan 12
Raymond Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web