So who's gonna open the weed dispensary?

So who's gonna open the weed dispensary?

Posted in the Ravenswood Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#1 Feb 16, 2013
On Friday, legislation was introduced to legalize medical marijuana in West Virginia. It's expected to pass easily. We will join 22 other states that have legalized marijuana in some form. While it's intended for seriously ill patients, the actual effect of the law is that virtually anybody that ever scraped a knee can request a script from doc for anything ranging from pain to anxiety to insomnia. It will be up to the doctor to decide who gets it and how much. What's happened in all the other states is that a significant number of patients receive the prescriptions instantly, either in-person or during an on-line consultation.

Once the scripts are written, it's up to the state governments to fill them. They do this by licensing a specific number of weed dispensaries. The dispensaries are heavily regulated and tough to run, but are hugely profitable. They buy their weed from local growers, whose product must pass a rigid inspection.

That opens up two industries - the legal cultivation of reefer and the dispensaries. The cultivation part is already partly filled with people who currently grow illegally, but the dispensaries will require capital investment. Someone among us, someone with business acumen, legal and political connections and a lot of cash on hand will open one up on Jackson County.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#2 Feb 16, 2013
bacon i will toss ya a quick 30 g's but ya gotta promise you wont smoke up the profits. i drug test all my employees.
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#3 Feb 16, 2013
It'll take a hundred. Pony up. Let's do this.
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#4 Feb 16, 2013
The early bird WILL GET THE WORM on this one, there's no doubt about it. You'll need 20K to retain good legal and accounting services. You'll need 20K to handle the press, call volume, and all the initial marketing expenses. You'll have to grease somebody, either a cop or a politician and that'll be 10 grand. I figure the state license will be 10 at least. Another 30 for product and payroll and you'll be boomin'.

All I'm saying is this conversation is happening among people right now that are going tto make a lot of money. They aren't waiting for the bill to pass. The other states' dispensary companies are probably already here greasing politicians. We're probably too late, actually.
liberal lady

Huntington, WV

#5 Feb 16, 2013
I am all for this. I don't smoke myself (used to, then it just became not so enjoyable) but am 100% pro-legalization, especially for medical purposes. It can help sick people eat and get proper nutrition which is sometimes the key in getting better rather than getting pumped full of pharmaceutical drugs that are actually dangerous (compared to marijuana which is not dangerous at all). I'm glad people are starting to wake up when it comes to this issue.
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#6 Feb 16, 2013
http://wvgazette.com/rssFeeds/201302150139

Here is the article covering the bill's introduction, in case anyone thinks I got high and dreamed this whole thing up.
liberal lady

Huntington, WV

#7 Feb 16, 2013
Honestly it's hard to even read that and think of how hotly debated it is when we live in West Virginia where there are so many people addicted to pharmaceuticals... like why is marijuana even an issue? Actually marijuana can help people with addictions to things like pills, heroin, etc. because it's a safer, non-addictive alternative that can calm withdrawal symptoms.
well

Wheeling, WV

#8 Feb 16, 2013
hot pooty
Bird

Mason, WV

#9 Feb 16, 2013
liberal lady wrote:
Honestly it's hard to even read that and think of how hotly debated it is when we live in West Virginia where there are so many people addicted to pharmaceuticals... like why is marijuana even an issue? Actually marijuana can help people with addictions to things like pills, heroin, etc. because it's a safer, non-addictive alternative that can calm withdrawal symptoms.
You go girl... That's what I'm talkin about...!

Seriously,why in hell fill our jails up with pot smokers...it's ridiculous...it's moronic...and the ones who decided that it should be a crime to smoke weed are idiots who have not a clue as to what it does..

No,it's probably not the healthiest thing to do but neither is tobacco..or alcohol..or Tylenol or trans fats etc...
liberal lady

Huntington, WV

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Exactly. I think a big problem is that politicians are hesitant to support it because they'll lose voters. I hope the president comes out as more pro-legalization during his second term.
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#11 Feb 16, 2013
liberal lady wrote:
Exactly. I think a big problem is that politicians are hesitant to support it because they'll lose voters. I hope the president comes out as more pro-legalization during his second term.
Sheeeaat. Barack still smokes.
liberal lady

Huntington, WV

#12 Feb 16, 2013
Probably so. That's why I wish he'd be more supportive of it. It's like he was with gay marriage... I'm sure he's always been pro equality but in the beginning he said he was anti-gay marriage to get voters, then right before this election he came out as for it. Nothing against him because all politicians do it, it's just frustrating because it slows down progress.
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#13 Feb 16, 2013
I think our president was always fully supportive of gay marriage. He never stated otherwise. He wasn't as outspoken as he could have been early in the debate, not because of political reasons but because he is a smart guy with giant responsibilities - he doesn't give a shit about gays any more than he does any other group. The debate itself is beneath the presidency and, really, beneath all of us. For us to argue about human equality 230 years after we wrote "All men are created equal" on our founding documents says a lot about the people who argue against things like gay marriage (they aren't real Americans).

When it comes to reefer, the president is a notorious smoker. He won't waste time, money or political capital to change federal laws when the states are the only ones enforcing them anyway. He has directed the attorney general to continue allowing the states to police themselves when it comes to marijuana, and that's plenty. The feds aren't going to be raiding any weed dispensaries anytime soon.
johnny reb

Point Pleasant, WV

#14 Feb 16, 2013
I think the whole question of legalization is silly, You can get weed almost as easily as you can get alchohol. I quit worrying about laws against weed in the 70's. Anybody with a brain knows weed is the least harmful of so many "legal" substances I don't even think about it. We used to ask people back in the day would you rather ride home with someone who just smoked a doob or drank half a bottle of Jack. I mean the only people who aren't on board are people who have not gotten high or the hard core law enforcement who refuse to accept overwhelming evidence that weed is almost harmless. I know people who are in their sixties who smoke regularly and have never got involved in "hard drugs" have kept jobs for 30 or 40 years,raised kids (some are now doctors)and been productive law abiding citizens their whole lives.(other than the laws against weed). One of my favorite guys to get high with was an old black dude in his late 70's we would laugh about the joke of the whole thing. Then go back inside after burning one and kick ass at playing cards.
Bird

Mason, WV

#15 Feb 16, 2013
johnny reb wrote:
I think the whole question of legalization is silly, You can get weed almost as easily as you can get alchohol. I quit worrying about laws against weed in the 70's. Anybody with a brain knows weed is the least harmful of so many "legal" substances I don't even think about it. We used to ask people back in the day would you rather ride home with someone who just smoked a doob or drank half a bottle of Jack. I mean the only people who aren't on board are people who have not gotten high or the hard core law enforcement who refuse to accept overwhelming evidence that weed is almost harmless. I know people who are in their sixties who smoke regularly and have never got involved in "hard drugs" have kept jobs for 30 or 40 years,raised kids (some are now doctors)and been productive law abiding citizens their whole lives.(other than the laws against weed). One of my favorite guys to get high with was an old black dude in his late 70's we would laugh about the joke of the whole thing. Then go back inside after burning one and kick ass at playing cards.
His name ain't "I" is it...(the black dude)
bacon hater

Emmaus, PA

#16 Feb 16, 2013
Johnny reb's story is the industrial standard for most Americans. Most of us aren't concerned about the illegality of pot. I think the law will benefit people who actually NEED it rather than just use it recreationally. Cancer patients shouldn't have to send their kids out to score some reefer. And I think we will finally have some relief for the wondeful people who truly risk everything - our local green thumbs. They will finally receive recognition for their skills, some of which have been passed on for generation after generation. They'll finally be able to grow their product free from threats and in an environment that safer and more secure. And they'll enjoy some extra money for their wares.

I expect prices will skyrocket for the primo - the state will be buying it all up. It'll go to $500 an ounce. But the mids and the commercial mexican brickweed will stay relatively the same, around $150-200 an ounce.
junior

Point Pleasant, WV

#17 Feb 16, 2013
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
His name ain't "I" is it...(the black dude)
no man this old guy was up in a little town in ohio
johnny reb

Point Pleasant, WV

#18 Feb 16, 2013
bacon hater wrote:
Johnny reb's story is the industrial standard for most Americans. Most of us aren't concerned about the illegality of pot. I think the law will benefit people who actually NEED it rather than just use it recreationally. Cancer patients shouldn't have to send their kids out to score some reefer. And I think we will finally have some relief for the wondeful people who truly risk everything - our local green thumbs. They will finally receive recognition for their skills, some of which have been passed on for generation after generation. They'll finally be able to grow their product free from threats and in an environment that safer and more secure. And they'll enjoy some extra money for their wares.
I expect prices will skyrocket for the primo - the state will be buying it all up. It'll go to $500 an ounce. But the mids and the commercial mexican brickweed will stay relatively the same, around $150-200 an ounce.
my father in law was diagnosed with cancer, the chemo was killing him mostly because he could not or would not eat. I ask him to try to smoke a little, he was old school and flat out refused but as time went bye he relented and guess what, that was twenty years ago he is still here. Scientific, probably not, but I know what I think and the rest of the family thinks.
Bird

Mason, WV

#19 Feb 16, 2013
junior wrote:
<quoted text>no man this old guy was up in a little town in ohio
"I" is from a little town in Ohio...Bidwell I think...
Bird

Mason, WV

#20 Feb 16, 2013
bacon hater wrote:

I can remember when you could buy an ounce..(we called it a lid back in those days,or a nickel or a dime bag for a quarter or a half ounce) for 20 to 40 bucks... Those were the days...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ravenswood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who would you like to see run for mayor? 4 hr JD 43
Ravenswood Football (Dec '16) 5 hr Ltd 27
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 9 hr Selfish fools 4,393
Mak Repair (Oct '16) 19 hr I know Ive been t... 4
Wasn’t supposed to be this way Jan 18 bacon hater 2
Can't beat Haynes Wrecker Jan 17 Bow 3
Ravenswood Care Center (Sep '11) Jan 17 Wisdom rules 119

Ravenswood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance