Posted in the Ravenswood Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“I blame Rainman. Ask me why.”

Since: Sep 11

Charleston, WV

#1 Dec 7, 2012
Nadia's thread made me think about something. I don't mean this as an insult to all nurses or to all big girls. What lures big girls into the nursing field? Every time I'm in a hospital or go to a doctor's office, I see big girls and old ladies as nurses. Almost all of them smoke too. How exactly do they get hired? If I was a doctor or a hospital administrator, there is no way on Earth that I would hire someone who is unhealthy to be in the healthcare field. I think it somewhat speaks against the credibility of the hospital or clinic if their nurses are big. If you can't even get your crew to be healthy, why would I want you trying to help me to get that way? How can you expect someone to start exercising when it's obvious that your nurses don't?

I'm honestly just curious if anyone has a good answer for this. I promise that it isn't meant as an insult.
2 posts removed

Charleston, WV

#4 Dec 7, 2012
welfare woman wrote:
<quoted text>im on welfare. It only takes a year to become an LPN. Im gonna be a nurse soon. Then i be off welfare. Im skinny
Good for you. Higher education is very important these days. I wish you well. Are many of your fellow classmates big?
Bird

United States

#5 Dec 7, 2012
Louda wrote:
<quoted text>Good for you. Higher education is very important these days. I wish you well. Are many of your fellow classmates big?
Lol...!

Charleston, WV

#6 Dec 7, 2012
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have bet good money when I clicked on this thread that it was another "Nadiaism"...! Lol!!
LOL it was somewhat inspired by her, but I honestly want to know the answer.
Bird

United States

#7 Dec 7, 2012
Actually,in a lot of ways men make the best nurses...Not fat men but strong men...

Charleston, WV

#8 Dec 7, 2012
True, but I haven't seen a lot of big male nurses. Just girls. The male nurses usually make me want to hit the weights a little harder.
Bird

United States

#9 Dec 7, 2012
Louda wrote:
<quoted text>LOL it was somewhat inspired by her, but I honestly want to know the answer.
Maybe because scrubs are big and roomy...?
Bird

United States

#10 Dec 7, 2012
Or maybe big girls don't become nurses,maybe nurses become big girls...?

Charleston, WV

#11 Dec 7, 2012
Bird wrote:
Or maybe big girls don't become nurses,maybe nurses become big girls...?
It's an interesting thought, but I've seen many girls that were already big go into nursing. Just from my experience, it would appear that mostly the girls are already big before becoming nurses.

Charleston, WV

#12 Dec 7, 2012
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe because scrubs are big and roomy...?
They are roomy, but some people take up a lot of the room in them.
bacon hater

Huron, OH

#13 Dec 7, 2012
Go check out nursing school - most of the students are pretty healthy. It's the job that makes them big. They work ridiculous hours and usually have to eat cafeteria crap or fast food 5 days a week. Then they don't sleep right because so many are on 12-hr shifts and it's one of the higher-stress occupations. Most nurses I know are RNs and started out hot but by the time they get get 5 years in, they've gotten big. I just think that the nursing field isn't one that lends itself to a healthy lifestyle.

Charleston, WV

#14 Dec 7, 2012
bacon hater wrote:
Go check out nursing school - most of the students are pretty healthy. It's the job that makes them big. They work ridiculous hours and usually have to eat cafeteria crap or fast food 5 days a week. Then they don't sleep right because so many are on 12-hr shifts and it's one of the higher-stress occupations. Most nurses I know are RNs and started out hot but by the time they get get 5 years in, they've gotten big. I just think that the nursing field isn't one that lends itself to a healthy lifestyle.
Well, why wasn't the fix included in Obamacare??? That seems like a pretty important issue that needs worked on LOL. The cafeteria food does suck, but most of the cafeterias have salads available. I think it's poor choices that lead to their size. Also, I seriously know many people in the nursing field that were already big to begin with. Maybe that has changed with the newcomers, but I think it hurts the reputation of the doctors when their staff is fat. Do you agree?
jingles

Point Pleasant, WV

#15 Dec 7, 2012
bacon hater wrote:
I don't think I have ever agreed with much of what you say but I do agree with your comment on this. The nursing field is hard. Nurse work hard. When lunch time comes around most of them dont have time for it so they grab something out of the vending machine. They are on their feet for hours some working double shifts. That is 16 hrs. The are taking care of our loved one. They are yelled at, bitten, slapped, pooped and peed on, food and various other things thrown at them. They are cussed at and told they are slow when a patient thinks they are the only one in there. While being yelled at for being slow there are usually 20-35 other patients waiting for what they want depending on whee you work. Nurses are the backbone of the healthcare system. So yea some are bigger than they need to be. Working long shifts, not getting enough sleep and no time to eat a proper meal. When they get home I am sure after the long hard hours they put in they could care less about something to eat and then again grab something quick and hit the hay if they can as most are married and have children. Why are most nurses older? Maybe they love their job and what they do. Maybe its because the younger generation are too lazy to do it? So lets not cut them down for their weight but thank them for taking care of your loved ones. I bet when you get sick or to old to take care of yourself it wont matter one iota what the nurse looks like! God forbid you get a big lady. I hope you get a big old lady! I also bet you she will take care of you even though you called her names. My mother was a nurse and a damn good one too and she was somewhat big.
Bird

United States

#16 Dec 7, 2012
Louda wrote:
<quoted text>Well, why wasn't the fix included in Obamacare??? That seems like a pretty important issue that needs worked on LOL. The cafeteria food does suck, but most of the cafeterias have salads available. I think it's poor choices that lead to their size. Also, I seriously know many people in the nursing field that were already big to begin with. Maybe that has changed with the newcomers, but I think it hurts the reputation of the doctors when their staff is fat. Do you agree?
If I liked the doctor and the nurse wasn't a bitch and could get around well,I really wouldn't care how big he or she was... It's those nasty acting ones who act like they hate their jobs AND their patients that I object to... Give me a pleasant,plump girl any day...
1 post removed

Charleston, WV

#18 Dec 7, 2012
jingles wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I have ever agreed with much of what you say but I do agree with your comment on this. The nursing field is hard. Nurse work hard. When lunch time comes around most of them dont have time for it so they grab something out of the vending machine. They are on their feet for hours some working double shifts. That is 16 hrs. The are taking care of our loved one. They are yelled at, bitten, slapped, pooped and peed on, food and various other things thrown at them. They are cussed at and told they are slow when a patient thinks they are the only one in there. While being yelled at for being slow there are usually 20-35 other patients waiting for what they want depending on whee you work. Nurses are the backbone of the healthcare system. So yea some are bigger than they need to be. Working long shifts, not getting enough sleep and no time to eat a proper meal. When they get home I am sure after the long hard hours they put in they could care less about something to eat and then again grab something quick and hit the hay if they can as most are married and have children. Why are most nurses older? Maybe they love their job and what they do. Maybe its because the younger generation are too lazy to do it? So lets not cut them down for their weight but thank them for taking care of your loved ones. I bet when you get sick or to old to take care of yourself it wont matter one iota what the nurse looks like! God forbid you get a big lady. I hope you get a big old lady! I also bet you she will take care of you even though you called her names. My mother was a nurse and a damn good one too and she was somewhat big.
I think you missed the part where I specifically stated that it wasn't meant as an insult to big people or nurses. Nothing anyone has put on here has been overly offensive. Nobody said that being big made them automatically a bad nurse either. It isn't cutting someone down for pointing out the obvious that many nurses are big. There really is no need to get defensive.

That being said, there are ways for those nurses to lose the weight. Their bosses are a good place to start, but again, I wouldn't hire a big person as my nurse. I wouldn't want to run off patients that would lose trust in me that I could make them healthy. Working 16 hour days and losing sleep don't make you big. Eating out of vending machines and fast food places, sleeping too much on off days, and doing nothing after coming home does pack on the pounds. If I was a doctor, I'd probably have a wellness incentive plan. Put a treadmill and an elliptical machine in a private part of the office for those that work late to get in their workout afterwards. It would be free to use and maybe the "biggest loser" could get a special bonus at the end of the year/quarter.

Charleston, WV

#19 Dec 7, 2012
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
If I liked the doctor and the nurse wasn't a bitch and could get around well,I really wouldn't care how big he or she was... It's those nasty acting ones who act like they hate their jobs AND their patients that I object to... Give me a pleasant,plump girl any day...
I promise it has nothing to do with their performance as much as the reflection they have on the business, their extra use of the group health insurance as a direct result of their weight, and the hypocrisy of telling someone else to make healthy choices when they obviously aren't being healthy themselves. I'm sure that plenty of them are perfectly nice people. The ones I know are nice.

Charleston, WV

#20 Dec 7, 2012
Sam wrote:
bigger ladies are better lover's.
I disagree, Nadia. I like inbetweeners.
jingles

Point Pleasant, WV

#21 Dec 7, 2012
Louda wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you missed the part where I specifically stated that it wasn't meant as an insult to big people or nurses. Nothing anyone has put on here has been overly offensive. Nobody said that being big made them automatically a bad nurse either. It isn't cutting someone down for pointing out the obvious that many nurses are big. There really is no need to get defensive.
That being said, there are ways for those nurses to lose the weight. Their bosses are a good place to start, but again, I wouldn't hire a big person as my nurse. I wouldn't want to run off patients that would lose trust in me that I could make them healthy. Working 16 hour days and losing sleep don't make you big. Eating out of vending machines and fast food places, sleeping too much on off days, and doing nothing after coming home does pack on the pounds. If I was a doctor, I'd probably have a wellness incentive plan. Put a treadmill and an elliptical machine in a private part of the office for those that work late to get in their workout afterwards. It would be free to use and maybe the "biggest loser" could get a special bonus at the end of the year/quarter.
Wow you just fixed it all! Obviously you have no idea what its like to be a nurse. Just by saying what you did about most nurses are big is offensive. Also do you think most places can afford to do that for their staff? Do you think nurses have time for that? They work long shifts. They rush to get ready for work and then when work is over they are too tired to exercise. Sleeping to much on days off? My mom didn't sleep on days off she worked on days off cleaning house, taking care of us and getting things done she couldnt do while working. The great almight Louda has spoken. Get over yourself. You have no clue.
jingles

Point Pleasant, WV

#22 Dec 7, 2012
Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said Bird!
jingles

Point Pleasant, WV

#23 Dec 7, 2012
Louda wrote:
<quoted text>
I promise it has nothing to do with their performance as much as the reflection they have on the business, their extra use of the group health insurance as a direct result of their weight, and the hypocrisy of telling someone else to make healthy choices when they obviously aren't being healthy themselves. I'm sure that plenty of them are perfectly nice people. The ones I know are nice.
Extra use of health insurance? You have got to be kidding. I do certainly hope when you get to the place you are in the position of needing a hospital or nursing care that you have the largest woman there. Nurses are the last to go get medical care. Why because they don't have the time to go. The ones on day and afternoon shift have no time to go and when they get off they are closed. Midnight shift sleeps during the day so they can get their "large ass" as you so nicely put to work. Once again you have no clue as to what a nurse does or is. Get over yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ravenswood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 7 min fitness-guru 58,850
Ravenswood Middle school football 41 min So sick of the drama 15
good luck, WVU (Aug '12) 51 min fitness-guru 1,884
special council meeting called that will ruin r... 1 hr Louda 16
In trouble again? 4 hr Just Woundering 1
So why didnt jelich play QB the last 3 years? 15 hr stan hansen 5
Ranch Dressing 19 hr its_me_again_Marg... 29

Ravenswood Jobs

Ravenswood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ravenswood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ravenswood

Personal Finance