Portage to face civil suit

Portage to face civil suit

There are 52 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jun 9, 2008, titled Portage to face civil suit. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

RAVENNA: A Portage County judge has ruled that Randy Resh and Bob Gondor must file their lawsuit alleging wrongful imprisonment against the county prosecutor's office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Ed Meyer Beacon Journal

Richfield, OH

#26 Jun 10, 2008
Justice wrote:
What really gets me about this case is the fact that this case was NEVER re-opened with so many facts pointing to who really did this , all the information is out there in black and white as to who really did this horrible crime. So, instead of puting the right people behind bars, they chose to spend the tax payers money to prosecute these innocent men. Now more tax payers money will be spent do defend their mess up. Admit your mess up, apologize to these innocent men and their families, go after the names that have been put right in front of your face and let Connie Nardi rest in peace. Give her family peace.
I would like to talk to you about your views on the Resh/Gondor case. Please send me an email with a contact phone number so we can talk. Thank you.
Resident

Akron, OH

#27 Jun 10, 2008
I hope these guys get everything they deserve and then some. The police and prosecutor(s) in this case should be held responsible. And the legal system ( cops & prosecutors ) love to tell people that if they are not doing anything wrong, they do not have anything to worry about. Yeah, right!!
Ravenslove

United States

#28 Jun 10, 2008
Lets face it these Innocent men were screwed out of 16 years of their lives. They should be declared innocent and the state should pay through the nose. Ohio is one of the states that railroads people on a daily basis. Not to mention two standards of time for the same crimes. Old law and new law inmates should be treated equally.
Ohio pay the men.
vechery

Kent, OH

#29 Jun 10, 2008
Politician wrote:
So because some defense atorneys screwed up years ago, the taxpayers should pay these guys money. I say they were housed and fed for 17 years on taxpayer money, we're even. Give them a nice civil service job and let them earn their money like everybody else.
YOU GIVE NEW MEANING TO THE WORD "IDIOT"
vechery

Kent, OH

#30 Jun 10, 2008
They can not gain back the years lost!
PAY THEM!!!
its me

Youngstown, OH

#31 Jun 10, 2008
is all the hot air in Ravenna from them baloons ?
its me

Youngstown, OH

#32 Jun 10, 2008
does Baloons have 1 L or 2 ?
Politician

Dayton, OH

#33 Jun 11, 2008
Maybe you are have a better understanding of this case than I do. Please highlight the facts of the case as you know them. I will change my mind if you make a good point. I read that it was because of an inadequate defense. And the name calling is juvenile and stupid.
Politician

Dayton, OH

#34 Jun 11, 2008
And just because somebody is found not guilty after 17 years doesn't mean they are innocent of the crime so please give me all the facts as they are known.
Politician

Dayton, OH

#35 Jun 11, 2008
Ok, I researched the case. I apologize for my first comment, but defense attorney I think bears some guilty along with the prosecutor. It was a poorly handled case from start to finish. Compensate them accordingly in my opinion.
enough is enough

Eastlake, OH

#36 Jun 11, 2008
I have a family member who did time with Bob and Randy. They appealed and filed everything they could but the good ole prosecutor's office fought very hard hard to keep the mistakes from coming into the light. While the defense may not have been the best it could've the tax payers paid for theese men to stay in prison and they footed the bill for the fight to keep them there. They deserve to be paid. Why do they have to keep fighting the focus and energy should be put on bringing the person(s) who committed this crime to justice. Pay Bob and Randy apologize then get the actual murderer(s) behind bars. Stop wasting time and energy. Bob and Randy did time without the crime. Get the real criminals
No Name

Canton, OH

#37 Jun 11, 2008
Somebody needs to compensate Bob and Randy. Think of all of the times in 17 years that they missed out on. Just sitting around, because somebody couldn't do their job and convict the right people. May Connie Nardi rest in peace, and may Bob and Randy get every single penny that they deserve.

And to Politician, you probably should have read up on the case before making any comments, because you made yourself look ridiculous.
Gordo the Wonderful

Bedford, OH

#38 Jun 11, 2008
Viggy pay these guys. Do the right thing for once.
its me

Youngstown, OH

#39 Jun 11, 2008
i suggest a special prosecutor be appointed. may i recommend BarryBevanBelch of Burp County.
Joyce Anderson

Avon Lake, OH

#40 Jun 11, 2008
Gordo the Wonderful wrote:
Another Viggy case, time for a new prosecutor and not that clown Cimino!
DITTO!

Viggy's office had (at the time of the charge) professional liability insurance to cover the prosecutor's negligence, so any award awarded to these wrongfully charged men will come from this policy, not from the citizens of Portage County's pocketbook's!

Since: Nov 07

Ohio

#42 Jun 12, 2008
Politician wrote:
And just because somebody is found not guilty after 17 years doesn't mean they are innocent of the crime so please give me all the facts as they are known.
You are correct. Just because someone does time in prison doesn't mean they are "innocent."

Even though B&R ARE innocent, they have to go through ANOTHER civil trial (very extensive AND expensive) to get a "Declaration of Innocence."

The problem NOW, politician, is that they are now facing Portage County AGAIN after all the miscarriages of justice for almost 20 yrs. The very county and officials that stalemated them from getting fair trials in the first place.

I will predict that after about 3-4 years, this civil suit will end up before the Ohio Supreme Court. Chief Justice Moyer should be apprised that PC is up to their old antics again. He's (CJ Moyer) GOT to be thinking, "What is going on up there in Portage County AGAIN?!"

Since: Nov 07

Ohio

#43 Jun 12, 2008
Politician wrote:
Ok, I researched the case. I apologize for my first comment, but defense attorney I think bears some guilty along with the prosecutor. It was a poorly handled case from start to finish. Compensate them accordingly in my opinion.
No, the first defense attorney's were not completely at fault for Bob and Randy's miscarriage of justice.

The Portage County prosecutor (David Norris) and his "team" (Muldowney, Buchannen and Ron Craig) were right along with him. It was called "hide and seek." PC had exonerating evidence that could've cleared B&R, but "hid: it and expected the defense attorney's to go "seek" through the files.

Well, it's hard to find something in a file that isn't there to begin with. Then when someone lies on the stand at an evidentiary hearing that they gave ALL evidence to defense attorney's (hand delivered it, if I remember the wording correctly), what is the judge going to do? Call the Prosecutor/team liars? It's PC words against the defense attorney's.

Why in the world would B&R's seasoned defense attorney's, if they had ALL the evidence, NOT use it when your client(s) are facing the death penalty??!!

Doesn't make sense, does it?
Duke for Mayor

Anaheim, CA

#44 Jun 12, 2008
peppermint g wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the first defense attorney's were not completely at fault for Bob and Randy's miscarriage of justice.
The Portage County prosecutor (David Norris) and his "team" (Muldowney, Buchannen and Ron Craig) were right along with him. It was called "hide and seek." PC had exonerating evidence that could've cleared B&R, but "hid: it and expected the defense attorney's to go "seek" through the files.
Well, it's hard to find something in a file that isn't there to begin with. Then when someone lies on the stand at an evidentiary hearing that they gave ALL evidence to defense attorney's (hand delivered it, if I remember the wording correctly), what is the judge going to do? Call the Prosecutor/team liars? It's PC words against the defense attorney's.
Why in the world would B&R's seasoned defense attorney's, if they had ALL the evidence, NOT use it when your client(s) are facing the death penalty??!!
Doesn't make sense, does it?
All held to be clear violations of the U.S. Constitution in Brady, quite a few years ago.

woof
its me

Youngstown, OH

#46 Jun 12, 2008
personelly i felt they saved 17years of gasoline.
JUST SICKENING

AOL

#47 Jun 13, 2008
that Portage Co.is still playing 'games' and making this ordeal last even longer for these two guys....HAVEn'T THEY HAD ENOUGH???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ravenna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stripped Screw Jun 16 Shaft 3
Crime watch May '16 Gop 1
rat boy (Nov '08) Apr '16 Bad Boy Club 30
News Request rubs Ravenna Twp. the wrong way Plan fo... (Sep '07) Apr '16 Someone w clarity 55
News Former Akron councilman Bruce Kilby accused of ... (Jan '14) Apr '16 JNemerJr 3
Looking for Lorie (Jun '10) Mar '16 VidGuy 25
Bed Bugs Mar '16 jarnold2016 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ravenna Mortgages