Richlands mom wants more security at schools

Dec 21, 2012 Full story: WCTI 20

One week after the deadly shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, a local mom is asking for more security at her child's school.

Full Story

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#1 Dec 22, 2012
Security can get pricey..LADY. The school system determines if security is needed or not. It would take ALL the parents of the PTA to warrant security of the school....One mom AIN'T GONNA cut it..
Art

Cedar Bluff, VA

#2 Dec 22, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
Security can get pricey..LADY. The school system determines if security is needed or not. It would take ALL the parents of the PTA to warrant security of the school....One mom AIN'T GONNA cut it..
Our tax dollars are already going to the lame dumbasses that want work. Our unemployed are setting back and receiving money and not even looking for a job. Why not train some of these nonproductive wastes of flesh???? In NJ only qualified, certified people can pump gas........
so sad

Lexington, NC

#3 Dec 22, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
Price should never be an issue when it comes to protecting our kids. Its sad that we have to even discuss placing armed security in schools but with tragedys happening like the one in CT last week we have to do something.
Intelligent

Raven, VA

#4 Dec 23, 2012
I love the NRA'S response to solving the school shootings....have armed guards at all schools...elementary schools,mind you,with kids as young as 5 years old!!!Impressionable young minds,seeing armed guards walking around,being told for their safety? They would probably have difficulty with concentration,learning.The solution would be from several fronts,make it impossible for criminals,mentally ill,to buy guns,and have more security in schools,cameras monitoring thoroughly,and an armed guard incognito!There's no quick solution,as a matter-of-fact,there isn't any solution.The matter lies in the hearts of hatefilled people,that would resort to taking innocent lives,because "they" are unhappy!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#5 Dec 23, 2012
so sad wrote:
<quoted text>Price should never be an issue when it comes to protecting our kids. Its sad that we have to even discuss placing armed security in schools but with tragedys happening like the one in CT last week we have to do something.
HOW THE FREAK can you protect every child or teacher from a crazed murderer? Security scanners only work when the equipment is working properly and they are manned. Like rat in a maze, there is never an easy way to get to the cheese..
BUT eventually they will get to it...Circumstances in life happen..NO EXPLANATION... they just do..ALL written in the Blueprints of Life. Only Our Creator KNOWS the reason WHY!!!
What

Richlands, VA

#6 Dec 23, 2012
How many kids with guns have already been arrested in schools? Is it really smart to put more guns in schools? Security has to start at home! People who own guns and have a mentally disturbed person in the house should lock up the guns or better yet, get rid of them. Guns are tools just like hatchets and knives! You can kill with anything! Guns didn't shoot the woman in the head 4 times, get in the car, drive to the school, and shoot women and children multiple times!! The boy did!!! Guns are not the problem! People are the problem. Until people address the people problem these things will continue to happen!
so sad

Lexington, NC

#7 Dec 23, 2012
What wrote:
How many kids with guns have already been arrested in schools? Is it really smart to put more guns in schools? Security has to start at home! People who own guns and have a mentally disturbed person in the house should lock up the guns or better yet, get rid of them. Guns are tools just like hatchets and knives! You can kill with anything! Guns didn't shoot the woman in the head 4 times, get in the car, drive to the school, and shoot women and children multiple times!! The boy did!!! Guns are not the problem! People are the problem. Until people address the people problem these things will continue to happen!
Great post. I blame the shooters Mom as much as him for this happening. She lived with him so she had to know he was crazy and EVIL. There are no others words to describe him he is pure EVIL. She had all those weapons in the home were he lived and she paid the ultimate price. All those innocent children would still be alive if she had had him locked away or at least got rid of all those weapons. I don't think he just snapped. I think he has been a problem for her for many years. I know as a Mother we don't want to think our own children are capable of doing such tragic things, but she had to see the signs.
mee

Richlands, VA

#8 Dec 23, 2012
Well, I think they need tighten up on security myself,All door are locked now ,but they just push a Button and say come in, can they see every thing in that area, lets say at the Middle School,Do they see that hold area,or what I don;t know myself.
Wait

Fredericksburg, VA

#9 Dec 26, 2012
Actually read the article- it says Onslow County. It isn't refering to us. However, I have long been telling my husband that I don't feel our kids are as safe as they should be. I agree- people are just buzzed in and expected to go to the office. Granted once u work somewhere long enough u recognize parents but what if 1 of those times office personnel assume a nice looking adult at the door is a parent and just let in a determined shooter? Some people don't know how to handle the stress of a bad economy and don't know what to do when jobs are not available, and believe that all is lost for a future. Since the coal down turn I have been reiterating what my kids should do if a shooter situation happened here since protocol doesn't allow parents to run in to get their kids. Make sure your kids know what they should do because parents will be locked out if this were to occur.
What

Richlands, VA

#10 Dec 26, 2012
Wait wrote:
Actually read the article- it says Onslow County. It isn't refering to us. However, I have long been telling my husband that I don't feel our kids are as safe as they should be. I agree- people are just buzzed in and expected to go to the office. Granted once u work somewhere long enough u recognize parents but what if 1 of those times office personnel assume a nice looking adult at the door is a parent and just let in a determined shooter? Some people don't know how to handle the stress of a bad economy and don't know what to do when jobs are not available, and believe that all is lost for a future. Since the coal down turn I have been reiterating what my kids should do if a shooter situation happened here since protocol doesn't allow parents to run in to get their kids. Make sure your kids know what they should do because parents will be locked out if this were to occur.
Actually read the post title! It says "Richlands mom wants more security at schools"!

What are you going to tell your kid to do? There is not much they can do except play dead. Drilling what to do just in case will only keep them upset and afraid.

I say that Metal Detectors would be better than putting guns in school. If people at airports can be protected so well why not our kids??
Wait

Chevy Chase, MD

#11 Dec 27, 2012
The news article in the post (if you read it) says Richlands North Carolina, Onslow County North Carolina. You can teach your children to stay calm, follow teacher's instructions and/ or how to get out of the building safely. If your child can safely get out of the building then they don't need to just stand outside. My kids are also taught what to do if they get away so that they aren't standing ducks. The world isn't all candy and flowers..police teach kids how to escape from a closed car trunk- does that keep the kids in constant fear? No, they are more confident because they know what to do. Parents teach their children right from wrong but the kids are not in constant fear. If a pedo offers a kid a toy but it's in their car and you've taught your kid NOT to go with strangers (or anyone for that matter) without telling you then the pedo has less of a chance to get your kid. Metal detectors are not going to stop a gunman from running right past it or immediately killing the person monitoring it before continuing.
Wait

Chevy Chase, MD

#12 Dec 27, 2012
I do agree with a few statements in your earlier post 'what'- security has to start at home and anything can be used as a weapon. A pencil can be a weapon but that doesn't mean all pencils should be removed.
What

Richlands, VA

#13 Dec 27, 2012
'Wait' you are right that "Metal detectors are not going to stop a gunman from running right past it or immediately killing the person monitoring it". Neither will a Teacher with a gun. Besides a button can be pushed from the office if the detector does not go off.

All I'm saying is that there are better ways to protect our children than putting loaded guns in schools. Training children to protect themselves has always been a good thing but it is not such a good idea to drill them when they are constantly seeing the nightmare on TV. How did you feel when you sent your kids back to school? You know they were scared too. I blame the media for dramatizing it all day everyday. It is all you heard about.

One thing I know for sure is that more guns will not solve the problem.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#14 Dec 27, 2012
What wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually read the post title! It says "Richlands mom wants more security at schools"!
What are you going to tell your kid to do? There is not much they can do except play dead. Drilling what to do just in case will only keep them upset and afraid.
I say that Metal Detectors would be better than putting guns in school. If people at airports can be protected so well why not our kids??
EVER see that movie TOTAL RECALL..they have an X-ray screen ya just walk through and it detects metal.. THAT'S what is needed at EVERY public business doorway. Schools, banks grocer's, and post offices... ANYWHERE!!!
mom

North Tazewell, VA

#15 Dec 29, 2012
All schools need it
why stop there

Harrisonburg, VA

#16 Dec 29, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text> EVER see that movie TOTAL RECALL..they have an X-ray screen ya just walk through and it detects metal.. THAT'S what is needed at EVERY public business doorway. Schools, banks grocer's, and post offices... ANYWHERE!!!
Oh yeah. Add some cameras on every corner and public business doorway as well as microphones to record every word of our conversations. And by all means everyone rush out and get that RFID chip implant. And if none of that works we can always put a TSA employee in every public doorway to grope you and go deep with the rubber gloves. Can anybody else come up with some more ways we can give up our freedom and dignity in exchange for the illusion of safety?
riley

Port Republic, VA

#17 Dec 30, 2012
I say arm the teachers with 870 wingmasters and double 0 buckshot and put sign up tell everone that this is an armed property, to take notice that deadly force will be used to protect the students and facutly. ever seen a mass killing in a bar where most patron have weapons? what about police station, other than the one in the other day the shooter didn't get far did he. let that loud mouth fool joe biden tell us what to do with our gun.
jenny

Baltimore, MD

#18 Jan 3, 2013
I think that it would be a good choice for all schools to make every kid carry clear book bags again and not allow purses in school too. There should be a metal detector at every entrance accesible to anyone and there should be a police there at the detectors just like at the court houses. Although we all know it will never happen I think there should be a foyer that everyone goes through with metal detectors before they can even enter the doors to the actual schools. I have two kids in school and I personally don't think that there is any price too high for our childrens safety!
ReD

Tazewell, VA

#19 Jan 19, 2013
we need guns inschool maybe if the lady at newtown would of had one those kids would be alive&#12290;
Grow up you BABIES

Washington, DC

#20 Jan 20, 2013
They should allow the kids to bring their guns to school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Chatroom 24 min faith short 87
Why do blondes look so trashy? who would wanna ... (Feb '11) 44 min eternal truth 29
any single females within a 10 mile radius age ... 49 min money velocity 7
steve mullins aka stone cold 1 hr Mel 4
kevin 3 hr htrgh 4
Jessica WIDEner more like WIDEST 4 hr Sadstory4U 4
Turning on Electric & Water - Cedar Bluff (Dec '10) 5 hr William simth 7
Raven Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Raven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Raven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Raven