Are they violating the Open Meetings ...

Are they violating the Open Meetings Act, again?

Posted in the Raton Forum

Ratonian

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Feb 12, 2013
Seems city hall is in a panic, again; but worst than usual, this time. And as a result, their brains (memory, along with logic) seem to be less functional than usual.

I can't say that I blame them, since things keep heating up and heating up and heating up, for them ... but still, they're supposed to keep their wits about them. Especially if they wish to have the public believe they're actual leading anything.

I'm referring to the sudden cancellation of the previously-scheduled city commission meeting, tonight; and their having apparently re-scheduled that meeting for this Thursday.

The problem with the cancellation, at least as some of us "gallows humor" types see it, is that the stated reason for the sudden cancellation is that there aren't enough commissioners to legally conduct business.(Which in and of itself, makes no sense: since when has doing anything legally or illegally in this town, stopped any of them from doing whatever they've wanted to do?) The sudden lack of a quorum, the very next day after the city's attorney failed to stop an informed citizen from successfully winning the first battle in District Court, against those commissioners, makes the more cynical amongst we long-suffering citizens wonder aloud if the individual commissioners aren't all separately scrambling, to each find themselves a worthwhile defense attorney?

That aside, there's the issues of proper notice; publication of said notice in things like a newspaper of general circulation; and a given time period that has to transpire, between the publication and the meeting that ends up being re-scheduled. And if I heard the radio station's announcement correctly, they're re-scheduling for this Thursday: which doesn't sound like they intend to do any sort of publication in any newspaper, prior to the next meeting; and sounds a lot like they may have completely blown off the requirement for x-amount-of-hours or elapsed time, as well.

But, hey, with all of the successful complaints to the Attorney General's office about "Open Meeting Act" violations by this same group of people, what's another one added to the pile?

Whatever. Clearly, they'll never learn that the laws do actually apply to them. Apparently, all they seem to care about at this point is saving their sorry backsides from the overdue exposure of their various official misdeeds ... which, given that the city's audit will probably look about as bad as Sunland Park's, and should be nearly ready for public review, ain't gonna work anyway ... but I guess they're all so desperate to evade and avoid the inevitable consequences of their actions and/or inactions, that seemingly blowing off legal requirements for meetings is just another day.

Who's actually in charge, over there? Despite all the times they've been busted for similar OMA violations in the past, don't they ever learn that we're gonna just keep turning them in? Hello?

Being an informed citizen in this town is like being a volunteer baby-sitter: exclusively catering to misbehaving children that no one else will watch!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CYFD to close former Boys School area (Aug '09) Jul 21 DRR 11
Raton Politics (May '16) Jul 18 haveyoualwaysbeen... 47
Raton is home Jul 18 Sick of the druggies 2
It's funny Jul 12 RootBeer 101 9
Race Track Days Jul 10 Oak 11
Stop Cyber-bullying and hate Jul 9 Oak 6
Wake UP Raton! (Aug '13) Jul 9 Oak 3

Raton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance