Racism still exists in Rapid City des...

Racism still exists in Rapid City despite efforts to change, panelists say

There are 35 comments on the ArgusLeader.com story from Apr 10, 2009, titled Racism still exists in Rapid City despite efforts to change, panelists say. In it, ArgusLeader.com reports that:

RAPID CITY - Some who attended a forum in Rapid City on Thursday say racism still exists in the area despite years of efforts to quell it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ArgusLeader.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
seeky123seeky132

Whittier, CA

#1 May 22, 2009
thats right
john rizzitello

Bonesteel, SD

#2 Sep 28, 2009
I agree rapid city is very racist these inbreed white folks no nothing better to then hate, RC is a city of crackers you know the type backwards kkk lovin muthafuckas always hatin on blacks,latins,natives,asians,e tc. they don't realize it's 2009 not 1929, If anyone wants to move to a city of hate well rapid city is for you every sunday morning they pray to the klan, burn crosses etc- and that's the truth about these white hillbilly's.
justice

Rapid City, SD

#3 Sep 28, 2009
john rizzitello wrote:
I agree rapid city is very racist these inbreed white folks no nothing better to then hate, RC is a city of crackers you know the type backwards kkk lovin muthafuckas always hatin on blacks,latins,natives,asians,e tc. they don't realize it's 2009 not 1929, If anyone wants to move to a city of hate well rapid city is for you every sunday morning they pray to the klan, burn crosses etc- and that's the truth about these white hillbilly's.
What trash are you spewing. People in the community are very tolerant along race lines. What they don't tolerate is criminal behavior and thugs. That applies whether you are white, native american, black, latino, etc.
Big Apple

Flushing, NY

#4 Sep 29, 2009
justice wrote:
<quoted text>
... People in the community are very [b]tolerant[/b] along race lines....
Very bad choice of words when talking about race. It's almost as if we can detect the racism in your thoughts.
Little Apple

Armour, SD

#5 Sep 29, 2009
I agree with big apple, Maybe justice is slighty racist you could almost feel this persons personnal pain, but then again what do i know' i don't know this person maybe they should explain themselves more.
khalo

Rapid City, SD

#6 Feb 10, 2010
Well i`ve been discreminated many times in rapid city,i've lived in rapid city 9 years ,have wife from here and son ,I was harrassed and fired from my three jobs ,you know i would never recommend rapid city for anyone ,but i will tell what happend which means bad reputation ,well is the truth .I`m moving from rapid city to texas ,And i hope is different .
bottom Line ,Rapid city is a racist town for sure and even new cops from different state get discr..
Heath

Dallas, TX

#7 Feb 18, 2010
bunch of crybabies
khalo

Rapid City, SD

#8 Feb 24, 2010
Heath wrote:
bunch of crybabies
Easy for you to say ,i guess your`re white ,Every night you go the bed seems different for me and you ,I`ve been hit but not you .
Jade Brown Bull

Winner, SD

#9 Nov 18, 2010
They say to you to salute the american flag and honor george washington, and fight terrorism? What the hell is that supposed to mean, I'm native. these white people promote terrorism ever since colombus arrived, they take our land away and they call it freedom, well freedom for them to take whatever they want for their own image and yet they call us savages, when you look at them, they are savages themselves, they shoot buffalo for nothing but sport, they rather hide in a bush and mud for 3 days when it comes to fighting indians during the manifest destiny They'ii even eat one of the're own people to survive.

My dad always told this: If a indian kills a white man, he goes to jail, but if a white man kills a indian, he wouldn't go to jail.
Fred

Kyle, SD

#10 Nov 25, 2010
Shut down the reservations. Divide up the property to the decendents of the orginal Native Americans who were put there.

Let them pay taxes, find a job or move. There is no fence around the reservation that keeps them there. They are free to come and go as they wish. They get prior hiring rights on the reservations and get prior hiring rights off the reservations due to affermative action laws.

Mainstream all Native Americans. Give them 160 acres and a mule.

That a heck of a lot more than most people start out with.

That continual poor us cry gets tiresome. No Native American alive today had anything taken away from them and No non-Native American alive today took anything away from them. BUT non-Native Americans have supported the Native American welfare state for years.

The goverment (us through taxes) provide them with schools, colleges and large grants. Yet very few ever take full advantage.

How many Doctors and Engineers has the reservation schools produced? NOT MANY.

Enough is enough.
EGrimm

Cheyenne, WY

#11 Dec 14, 2010
Hey Fred, I am concerned with your use of "non-Native American", who exactly are you referring to? Under the new "politically correct" term Native American would include me and my family I want my government money and all the back pay.

To Jade Brown Bull:
Columbus did not "discover" America, there were "white" people here for many years before he arrived!!

Everyone needs to stop looking back and saying "They did this wrong, they did that wrong" and look to the future. The past is gone you were not there, I was not there we only know what others have told us about what may have happened. The past can not be changed. Nobody but you and your family have done you wrong!(It may be wrong to you but obviously not to the other person)

What are you doing to make the future better?
Hanging on to past pain will not make a bright future.
Jade Brown Bull

Dell Rapids, SD

#12 Dec 17, 2010
EGrimm. I got very few friends that are nonwhite who experince racism, where ever they go, like to the mall or to home, their always afraid somebody might harassed them on the streets.
Because Rapid city is more like bermingham, alabama without the KKK instead there are rage'in rednecks who wants to fight natives and talking about this,that and all that bull crap, i say that's all nonsense.
When it comes to fighting white guys, i always told myself: be ready, be ready the day it will come.
I've never back down from a fight that either cause life or death, because you never know that those whites may actually be carrying baseball bats or any other weapons.
I know it's very crazy for them to do that, but me, i'm not crazy going around with a baseball bat.
So Egrimm, you have no idea what my life been through.
Jade Brown Bull

Dell Rapids, SD

#13 Dec 17, 2010
and Egrimm, I got cousins that are mexicans and they do not like racsim either and so i rather be around with both natives and mexicans alike because we are the same.

And that the white man is the illegal alien.
Anybody

Box Elder, SD

#14 Dec 17, 2010
I have an awesome idea, how about you quit being such retards. In the very paragraph that you are calling out white people for being racist, you yourself are being racist with the way you write. I will tell you right now I could care less for what the color of your skin is, or what ethnicity you are. When I see a group of people who are well over the age of 18 going around a parking lot trying to brake into unattened vehicles, I am going to make a judgement call that they are low lifes'. The major problem with you crying out about how racist people are is that most of the peole committing crimes here in Rapid City are Indians or Native Americans. I did not grow up in Rapid City, but school brought me here. Where I was from there were not many Native Americans. So growing up I never had single negative experience involving a Native American. In the three years that I have been here I have seen countless numbers of Native Americans being arrested for driving drunk, on the street begging for change, and in the back of police cars. So instead of blaming the "white man" for your problems and being racists, get off your dumb ass and help your people out. Quit bitching and do something. The problem isn't racists or the people who are the target of racism. The problem is the mentality of most of the people here in Rapid City. If you were really all that concerned for "your people" who are suffering from racism you would be going out trying to help them, but you not and you won't. I can gurantee in the three years I have been here I have given more in volunteer hours to Native Americans than you will have in your entire life. In fact I would be willing to bet that you will continue to complain and 10 years from now you will have made nothing for yourself or anyone else and before you know it you will be the one in the back of a police car crying out that your a victim of racism. That cycle will continue and continue. I do agree that there are cases where racism plays a major role in individuals lives.In some cases to the point where they are held back from being able to claim all their rights as an American. However more often than not the biggest problem with racism are the peole accusing others of being racist. More often than not the people accusing others of being racist will then turn around and be the first to steal something from the very person they were accusing of being a racist. And all those people who go around trying to say that they are on your side and want to help you out are full of crap. They just want to appear compassionate and usually want something from you. And those peopl you will say are the ones who get it. They are the ones who care. But they do nothing for you but pour gasoline on the fire. But someone like me who would be more than willing to help you improve your life, you will call a racists. Why? Because I won't sigar coat it. If I see a person committing a crime and say he is a price of shit and call the cops. If he happens to have colored skin I will be labled a racist. Anyways I am off my soap box.
Sheri

Denver, CO

#15 Dec 26, 2010
john rizzitello wrote:
you are why Rapid City is the way it is.You.your filthy trashy lowlife gang mentality
Jim

Pine Ridge, SD

#16 Jan 12, 2011
Fred wrote:
Shut down the reservations. Divide up the property to the decendents of the orginal Native Americans who were put there.
Let them pay taxes, find a job or move. There is no fence around the reservation that keeps them there. They are free to come and go as they wish. They get prior hiring rights on the reservations and get prior hiring rights off the reservations due to affermative action laws.
Mainstream all Native Americans. Give them 160 acres and a mule.
That a heck of a lot more than most people start out with.
That continual poor us cry gets tiresome. No Native American alive today had anything taken away from them and No non-Native American alive today took anything away from them. BUT non-Native Americans have supported the Native American welfare state for years.
The goverment (us through taxes) provide them with schools, colleges and large grants. Yet very few ever take full advantage.
How many Doctors and Engineers has the reservation schools produced? NOT MANY.
Enough is enough.
You have it right Fred. Enough is enough. Let them sink or swim.

I'm tired of the whinning and crying with their hand out beggin for more. Go to work. Move and get a job.

With all the money put into the reservations the results are easy to see. Drunks laying around on Rapid Creek and White Clay.

How many Doctors and Engineers have the reservation schools produced? My guess is maybe 10 where most schools off the reservations can show one in about every 50 graduates.

Oh, yes I know saying what it true is going to be called racist.
Nativewarrior

Kyle, SD

#17 Jan 13, 2011
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text> you are why Rapid City is the way it is.You.your filthy trashy lowlife gang mentality
Now that's an insult!
Nativewarrior

Kyle, SD

#18 Jan 13, 2011
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Let them sink or swim.
I'm tired of the whinning and crying with their hand out beggin for more. Drunks laying around on Rapid Creek and White Clay.
Oh, yes I know saying what it true is going to be called racist.
Let me guess?

Your just a white guy who owns a big fancy house with big money
and cheap bills.
Jim

Pine Ridge, SD

#19 Jan 14, 2011
Nativewarrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess?
Your just a white guy who owns a big fancy house with big money
and cheap bills.
You are partly correct.

I am part white and part Native American although not enough to live off it.

I started with nothing. Paid my way through college. Worked from the time I was in grade school. Held a job all my adult life.

I took nothing from you nor do I owe you anything.

Yes, I built my own house and paid for it by working and earning my own living.

I paid taxes and a lot of them. I see no reason for supporting you while you set and whine about past history.

Everyone that is alive today has something in their ancestral background where someone took advantage of their ancestors.

Enough is enough.
ScumBag

Hartford, SD

#20 Feb 3, 2011
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You are partly correct.
I am part white and part Native American although not enough to live off it.
I started with nothing. Paid my way through college. Worked from the time I was in grade school. Held a job all my adult life.
I took nothing from you nor do I owe you anything.
Yes, I built my own house and paid for it by working and earning my own living.
I paid taxes and a lot of them. I see no reason for supporting you while you set and whine about past history.
Everyone that is alive today has something in their ancestral background where someone took advantage of their ancestors.
Enough is enough.
Are you saying this what is right? or are u saying this that u care about your own image.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rapid City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Zika Virus not likely to spread in Rapid City Apr 12 nice 1
News GenPro Energy Solutions heads to Africa to Inst... Apr 12 nice 1
Dr Dylan Yu - what happened? (Feb '15) Apr 7 Barbara Schell 3
News 3 road projects at once hamper traffic flow in ... Mar '16 LIZZY GINGERICH 1
Debate: Marijuana - Rapid City, SD (Aug '10) Mar '16 Michelle 44
Rapid City Music Selection (Aug '12) Mar '16 Musikologist 13
News South Dakota Child Identification Program Event... Feb '16 ELAINE 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rapid City Mortgages