Badlands facts

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 31, 2008, titled Badlands facts. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Established as a national park: Nov. 10, 1978. Area: 242,756 acres. Visitors: 1.1 million a year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Jasmine Bundawski

Bronx, NY

#1 Feb 23, 2008
THIS SITE AND THE BADLANDS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
Jasmine Bundawski

Bronx, NY

#2 Feb 23, 2008
THIS SITE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!=
Jasmine Bundawski

Bronx, NY

#3 Feb 23, 2008
o0o0o0o0o0o0o00o0o0 lala =)
Collin Zupokfska

Union, ME

#6 May 16, 2008
how do you find the facts i just see comments
Collin Zupokfska

Union, ME

#7 May 21, 2008
i dont getit just frinkin 3 or 4 fact wow
Cameran DuDelez

United States

#8 Oct 26, 2009
I couldnt of had a more fun time at the badlands!PEACE!!!
~Cami
Limbo

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Nov 22, 2009
the facts..?
FAXSER

Victorville, CA

#10 Mar 22, 2010
THIS IS THE DUMBEST SHIT EVER THAT I HEARD MY THIS NOT INFOMATION ON BAD LANDS ITS JUST SOING JUST ALOT OF BULLSHIT
scorpio 1117

United States

#12 May 11, 2010
The Lakota gave this land its name, “mako sica,” meaning “land bad.” Located in southwestern South Dakota, Badlands National Park consists of 244,000 acres of sharply eroded buttes, pinnacles and spires blended with the largest protected mixed grass prairie in the United States. It is desolation at its truest, where you can look for miles and see no sign of civilization.
ycats

Sioux Falls, SD

#13 May 11, 2010
Except for the part that is right by Wall. You can see civilization from there!
scorpio 1117 wrote:
The Lakota gave this land its name,“mako sica,” meaning “land bad.” Located in southwestern South Dakota, Badlands National Park consists of 244,000 acres of sharply eroded buttes, pinnacles and spires blended with the largest protected mixed grass prairie in the United States. It is desolation at its truest, where you can look for miles and see no sign of civilization.
scorpio1117

United States

#14 May 11, 2010
The Badlands Wall

The Badlands Wall constantly retreats north as it erodes and washes into the White River Valley below. The Wall, an intricately carved cliff divides the upper from the lower prairie.

The Wall is more than sixty miles long. It is the geologic feature around which park boundaries were drawn. The Loop Road follows the Wall, sometimes dipping to the lower prairie, then climbing back to the rim.

Anywhere a wagon could be worked up and down the Wall was called a pass by homesteaders. Getting a team and wagon through one of the steep, uneven passes was not to be undertaken lightly.

Today, daily, thousands of people easily negotiate the passes in pickups and automobiles.

In the 1920s, when some of the more successful homesteaders had cars, even they had problems with the passes. No one dared tackle Badlands roads in wet weather without a shovel at hand to dig Model-T’s out of ruts and mudholes.

ycats

Sioux Falls, SD

#15 May 12, 2010
Wall the town...
scorpio1117 wrote:
The Badlands Wall
The Badlands Wall constantly retreats north as it erodes and washes into the White River Valley below. The Wall, an intricately carved cliff divides the upper from the lower prairie.
The Wall is more than sixty miles long. It is the geologic feature around which park boundaries were drawn. The Loop Road follows the Wall, sometimes dipping to the lower prairie, then climbing back to the rim.
Anywhere a wagon could be worked up and down the Wall was called a pass by homesteaders. Getting a team and wagon through one of the steep, uneven passes was not to be undertaken lightly.
Today, daily, thousands of people easily negotiate the passes in pickups and automobiles.
In the 1920s, when some of the more successful homesteaders had cars, even they had problems with the passes. No one dared tackle Badlands roads in wet weather without a shovel at hand to dig Model-T’s out of ruts and mudholes.

“Indigenous”

Since: Feb 11

Sacred Land

#16 Jul 22, 2011
I don't live to far from the badlands. I must say it's a lovely place.
Alpha Beast

Romeoville, IL

#17 Mar 15, 2012
THERE IS NO FACTS HERE!! >:(
Alpha Beast
Jellybean

Sioux Falls, SD

#18 Feb 18, 2013
This site sucks I cant even find the frikin facts you should never go to this site

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rapid City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a guy Aug 26 Looking4Him4Years 1
News Cross-Country Honor Guard For Civil Wara Aug 4 manderscheid jacq... 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jul '16 america first 13
News Sturgis Rally prompts cut in speed limit Jul '16 hansena 1
Is crime really that bad in Rapid City? Jul '16 jjj1970 1
Fast Horse, Fuddy Jun '16 claim 1
Should I care if my husband attends Sturgis Bik... (Feb '11) Jun '16 Bob Gladitsch 60

Rapid City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rapid City Mortgages