Police department works to take all r...

Police department works to take all racism complaints seriously

There are 25 comments on the Rapid City Journal story from Sep 10, 2007, titled Police department works to take all racism complaints seriously. In it, Rapid City Journal reports that:

“It takes a certain individual to be attracted to this job, and we're trying to find them”

A frequent complaint by Native Americans in Rapid City is racial profiling by law enforcement. via Rapid City Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rapid City Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
og_ster

Pierre, SD

#1 Sep 12, 2007
Racism is in Rapid City, but it was worse when I was there. Now days its nothing, just people over-exaggerating about the problem.
og_ster

Pierre, SD

#2 Sep 12, 2007
Yeah
ScumBag

Hartford, SD

#3 Feb 3, 2011
Fat cops, all they can do is eat donuts and when they get off their cars, thier bellies hanging off thier sides.
now This why people call them PIGS!!

“Indigenous”

Since: Feb 11

Sacred Land

#4 Jul 21, 2011
ScumBag wrote:
Fat cops, all they can do is eat donuts and when they get off their cars, thier bellies hanging off thier sides.
now This why people call them PIGS!!
Amen....
Shawna

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#5 Jul 22, 2011
og_ster wrote:
Racism is in Rapid City, but it was worse when I was there. Now days its nothing, just people over-exaggerating about the problem.
Racism is NEVER “over-exaggerated”. I live in an all-white town, and people still look at me as though they have never seen a brown person before.
People who have not experienced racism are generally the ones who say it does not exist or is over-exaggerated.
When me and a friend went “outside” the reservation in Wolf Point, MT., whites called us “prairie niccas”. For those who say,“that’s okay…..sticks and stones…...” I say, THAT’S RACISM. And I fight everyday to bring it to light. I’m not bitter, I’m just an advocate who can prove I am superior to my oppressors. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. RACISM IS REAL.

“Indigenous”

Sacred Land

#6 Jul 22, 2011
Shawna wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism is NEVER “over-exaggerated”. I live in an all-white town, and people still look at me as though they have never seen a brown person before.
People who have not experienced racism are generally the ones who say it does not exist or is over-exaggerated.
When me and a friend went “outside” the reservation in Wolf Point, MT., whites called us “prairie niccas”. For those who say,“that’s okay…..sticks and stones…...” I say, THAT’S RACISM. And I fight everyday to bring it to light. I’m not bitter, I’m just an advocate who can prove I am superior to my oppressors. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. RACISM IS REAL.
Your isp says cali but you mentioned wolf point,mt...I was just curious.
Shawna

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#7 Jul 22, 2011
Sicangu Nation wrote:
<quoted text>Your isp says cali but you mentioned wolf point,mt...I was just curious.
All Native Americans DO NOT live on the reservation, contrary to popular belief. My "sister" is a Lakota Sioux on the Wolf Point Indian Reservation. I visit her regularly – to keep in touch with reality.
I live in California because the money is good for my field. Period. I believe Native Americans have to keep up with the tide. If education will provide a jump-start to our existence in TODAY’S America, then we have to become visible. Living on the reservation provides no visibility.

“Indigenous”

Sacred Land

#8 Jul 22, 2011
Shawna wrote:
<quoted text>
All Native Americans DO NOT live on the reservation, contrary to popular belief. My "sister" is a Lakota Sioux on the Wolf Point Indian Reservation. I visit her regularly – to keep in touch with reality.
I live in California because the money is good for my field. Period. I believe Native Americans have to keep up with the tide. If education will provide a jump-start to our existence in TODAY’S America, then we have to become visible. Living on the reservation provides no visibility.
I agree....
Shawna

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#9 Jul 22, 2011
Sicangu Nation wrote:
<quoted text>I agree....
Thanks. Not too many people agree with me on this site. The moment one shows preference to the advancement of THEIR people, others have a problem. The moment one throws history in their face, they call you a racist (but I have reasons to be). The moment one refuses docility, they claim you are not Native American.

Bottom line is, it's a damn shame the way Native Americans live on those piss-poor reservations, waiting for promises and broken spirits to be fulfilled.
I don't wait. I get what I need and almost everything I want, then I give back. Not too many people can say that.

“Indigenous”

Sacred Land

#10 Jul 22, 2011
Shawna wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. Not too many people agree with me on this site. The moment one shows preference to the advancement of THEIR people, others have a problem. The moment one throws history in their face, they call you a racist (but I have reasons to be). The moment one refuses docility, they claim you are not Native American.
Bottom line is, it's a damn shame the way Native Americans live on those piss-poor reservations, waiting for promises and broken spirits to be fulfilled.
I don't wait. I get what I need and almost everything I want, then I give back. Not too many people can say that.
Just throwing this out there. why don't you register with topix?...Theirs alot more natives on other forums that you would probably like to meet. Not here in the rapid city forum but the major forums.
Shawna

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#11 Jul 22, 2011
Sicangu Nation wrote:
<quoted text>Just throwing this out there. why don't you register with topix?...Theirs alot more natives on other forums that you would probably like to meet. Not here in the rapid city forum but the major forums.
I guess I never thought about it.......but it's a thought now.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#12 Jul 22, 2011
Shawna wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I never thought about it.......but it's a thought now.
Ok...I registered.
sinner13

Shiprock, NM

#13 Aug 1, 2011
I am never naive about racism. Ever since the white man ventured over to the indigenous world, they called us savages, and as far as I am concerned it still exists. That just lets me know that they are not comfortable in their own skin. For heaven sakes, they left their homelands and tribes because of religious persecution, and they had turned into GODS when they met up with us. Having no acceptance in their DNA they started to persecute right off the bat. One that thinks they are better than someone else does that. They are motivated by fear! Look @ what they do now. In 1775 Connestoga gave them Iroquois tribal consitutions and asked them to use it with spiritual conscientiousness. Boy did they screw up a wet dream. George Washington and the Masons! Wow that has been a doozie! You Natives out there, protect your children and your families, tell them the truth about these belaganas! Truth and honesty will always be our power, mixed with education. I HAVE SPOKEN.

“Indigenous”

Sacred Land

#14 Aug 1, 2011
sinner13 wrote:
I am never naive about racism. Ever since the white man ventured over to the indigenous world, they called us savages, and as far as I am concerned it still exists. That just lets me know that they are not comfortable in their own skin. For heaven sakes, they left their homelands and tribes because of religious persecution, and they had turned into GODS when they met up with us. Having no acceptance in their DNA they started to persecute right off the bat. One that thinks they are better than someone else does that. They are motivated by fear! Look @ what they do now. In 1775 Connestoga gave them Iroquois tribal consitutions and asked them to use it with spiritual conscientiousness. Boy did they screw up a wet dream. George Washington and the Masons! Wow that has been a doozie! You Natives out there, protect your children and your families, tell them the truth about these belaganas! Truth and honesty will always be our power, mixed with education. I HAVE SPOKEN.
Peace be with you...
Jade

Hartford, SD

#15 Aug 2, 2011
sinner13 wrote:
Why would you talking about history?

This is about COPS and POLICE Brutality!!

If you are DRUNK FELON like ME!!!

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#16 Aug 2, 2011
Some local cops just got greased while attempting to talk to some "suspicous" characters, LOL.

“Indigenous”

Sacred Land

#17 Aug 2, 2011
Richard_ wrote:
Some local cops just got greased while attempting to talk to some "suspicous" characters, LOL.
What are you talkin' about?...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#18 Aug 2, 2011
Jade wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you talking about history?
This is about COPS and POLICE Brutality!!
If you are DRUNK FELON like ME!!!
WHY is he or she talking about history? Are you serious? People that don't know where they have been, have NO idea where they are going. History plays an important role in RACISM.
Jade

Hartford, SD

#19 Aug 3, 2011
ShawnaB wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY is he or she talking about history? Are you serious? People that don't know where they have been, have NO idea where they are going. History plays an important role in RACISM.
I don't feel like talking about history that much or Racism, if people are racist then that's their problem, my problem is i can't even run cops!!
ShawnaB

Pacoima, CA

#20 Aug 3, 2011
Jade wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel like talking about history that much or Racism, if people are racist then that's their problem, my problem is i can't even run cops!!
????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rapid City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Zika Virus not likely to spread in Rapid City Apr 12 nice 1
News GenPro Energy Solutions heads to Africa to Inst... Apr 12 nice 1
Dr Dylan Yu - what happened? (Feb '15) Apr 7 Barbara Schell 3
News 3 road projects at once hamper traffic flow in ... Mar '16 LIZZY GINGERICH 1
Debate: Marijuana - Rapid City, SD (Aug '10) Mar '16 Michelle 44
Rapid City Music Selection (Aug '12) Mar '16 Musikologist 13
News South Dakota Child Identification Program Event... Feb '16 ELAINE 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rapid City Mortgages