Attendance Growing at Augusta Rodeo

Attendance Growing at Augusta Rodeo

There are 21 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 8, 2013, titled Attendance Growing at Augusta Rodeo. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

More than a thousand people piled inside an arena at a horse farm near Raphine Saturday night to check out the region's newest indoor entertainment venue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JCS

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Feb 10, 2013
Great to see such a great attendance at an All-American tradition!
Zooloo

Midlothian, VA

#2 Feb 10, 2013
Ya great american tradition watching animals being abused ... brings out the lowest of the lows...
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 10, 2013
Were there guns there? the cowboys were.

Since: Oct 12

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Feb 10, 2013
Zooloo wrote:
Ya great american tradition watching animals being abused ... brings out the lowest of the lows...
You seem to have confused bull riding with bull fighting. They are not the same.

In reality, the only "abuse" and injury that may occur during a rodeo is usually done to the rider and not the bull.

But don't let your multi-culti hatred of all things American stand in the way of your bigotry and ignorance. Let it out. Share it.

The lowest of the low indeed.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 10, 2013
Mr-Butcher wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have confused bull riding with bull fighting. They are not the same.
In reality, the only "abuse" and injury that may occur during a rodeo is usually done to the rider and not the bull.
But don't let your multi-culti hatred of all things American stand in the way of your bigotry and ignorance. Let it out. Share it.
The lowest of the low indeed.
So its natural for a bull to do contortions they do at rodeos?

Since: Oct 12

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Feb 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>So its natural for a bull to do contortions they do at rodeos?
Natural?

Sure.

If you were a bull and some cowpoke was riding on your back wouldn't you try to buck him off too? Who has the advantage here?

Where is your cultural understanding of traditions and customs that are alien to your own? We all respect your right to drink lattes and recite the Communist Manifesto from memory so please extend the same respect to your cowboy countrymen who enjoy a different custom that is beyond your narrow ethno-politico-culturo-centric understanding.
concerned

Luray, VA

#8 Feb 10, 2013
I love going to the rodeo and thank you 29 for covering this. I hope to see more.
Moi

Buford, GA

#10 Feb 10, 2013
Is there a website to find more info on this? Googled and had no luck...
youre an idiot

Washington, DC

#14 Feb 10, 2013
If anybody on here thinks that these animals are "abused" then you're horribly off mark. These animals are the means by which their owners make money. There are VERY strict rules on what the cowboys can and can't do while they are riding. The animals are taken care of very well. They are well fed, checked by doctors regularly and DEFINITELY not abused. The cowboys don't wear big spurs or anything while they're riding. And no flank straps are tied to their testicles...they are just around their hind quarters (hence it's called a FLANK strap and not a ball strap). You all don't know anything about this sport, so keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. And this is coming from someone who was in the rough stock riding industry for years, so I DO know!
Fact Fact Fact

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Feb 10, 2013
youre an idiot wrote:
If anybody on here thinks that these animals are "abused" then you're horribly off mark. These animals are the means by which their owners make money. There are VERY strict rules on what the cowboys can and can't do while they are riding. The animals are taken care of very well. They are well fed, checked by doctors regularly and DEFINITELY not abused. The cowboys don't wear big spurs or anything while they're riding. And no flank straps are tied to their testicles...they are just around their hind quarters (hence it's called a FLANK strap and not a ball strap). You all don't know anything about this sport, so keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. And this is coming from someone who was in the rough stock riding industry for years, so I DO know!
You really think calling people an idiot helps strengthen your argument?
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Feb 10, 2013
youre an idiot wrote:
Fine tie a flank strap around tour arse and get someone on your back and see how you like it. Or are you in to kinky stuff?
huh

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Feb 10, 2013
i kill deer for food and for trophies in my house....anyone got beef with that too?
bulls are not abused like most think. they are taken good care of. bulls are not the only animals that will buck you off their backs. horses, sheep (mutton bustin for kids), and cows do it too. so get over this oh....they are mean for to them cause they ride them.
got to love tree huggin hippies and their stupid remarks.
sville

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Feb 10, 2013
mmmmm I love me some cowboys cant wait to go...
I wish they had this in sville
Joyful4Much

Fairfield, VA

#19 Feb 10, 2013
Moi wrote:
Is there a website to find more info on this? Googled and had no luck...
This article is slightly misleading--although they claim "Raphine," which is in Rockbridge County, it is much closer to Greenville and actually in the "town" of Lofton in Augusta County. The address is 435 Lofton Rd--just past the big Mead-WestVACO warehouse.(It is very confusing to have your address and zip code to be in a different county than where your house is located--thank you USPS.)

Anyway, here is their website with a calendar of events. http://www.oldgreymaresacres.com/our-farm.htm...
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Feb 11, 2013
This is nothing more than torturing animals for sport. I grew up on a farm and currently farm and am certain this is animal cruelty disguised as sport. I always cheer for the bulls; my favorite scenario is when the rider gets a hand caught in the harness and gets whipped back and forth like a wet rag and then flung off and stepped on by the bull. I cannot believe the farm community in that area condones this activity.
hahaha

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Feb 11, 2013
Native wrote:
This is nothing more than torturing animals for sport. I grew up on a farm and currently farm and am certain this is animal cruelty disguised as sport. I always cheer for the bulls; my favorite scenario is when the rider gets a hand caught in the harness and gets whipped back and forth like a wet rag and then flung off and stepped on by the bull. I cannot believe the farm community in that area condones this activity.
how is it animal cruelty ????
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Feb 11, 2013
Native wrote:
This is the south. Still in the dark ages and wishing it still flew the confederate flag, especially over on that side of the mountain.
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Feb 11, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>This is the south. Still in the dark ages and wishing it still flew the confederate flag, especially over on that side of the mountain.
Yep....right there with dog and cockfighting!
Joyful4Much

Fairfield, VA

#24 Feb 11, 2013
Native wrote:
I cannot believe the farm community in that area condones this activity.
First of all we were never asked. Second, there is little farming going on in that area. The nearest big property to this farm is MeadWestvaco warehouse (used to be Lofton Manufacturing), which has hundreds of tractor trailers traveling Lofton Road every day, so a dozen or more horse trailers coming through on a Saturday hardly makes a difference.

The only other working farm runs cattle on 75 acres, but they actually live over a mile away as the crow flies to the north.

I know you are just Trolling, but I thought I would pretend that you were making a valid statement.
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Feb 11, 2013
Joyful4Much wrote:
<quoted text>First of all we were never asked. Second, there is little farming going on in that area. The nearest big property to this farm is MeadWestvaco warehouse (used to be Lofton Manufacturing), which has hundreds of tractor trailers traveling Lofton Road every day, so a dozen or more horse trailers coming through on a Saturday hardly makes a difference.
The only other working farm runs cattle on 75 acres, but they actually live over a mile away as the crow flies to the north.
I know you are just Trolling, but I thought I would pretend that you were making a valid statement.
well now I can see why you where never asked!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raphine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
are there still kkk in va? (Oct '08) Mar '16 BigJay 78
Motorcycle accident july 31 Raphine (Jul '15) Jul '15 Rockbridge 1 1
Be Free (Jul '15) Jul '15 trying 1
Review: Atkins Excavating Inc (Nov '14) Nov '14 hatesucks 2
Brittany Yeargain (Jun '12) Oct '14 YoursTruly 5
News Where's Obamacare? - Rural Virginians choose fr... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jorja Fox 1
I have received an e-mail from Yahoo.com saying... (Dec '13) Dec '13 ciraromynoz 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Raphine Mortgages