Jerry

Cleveland, GA

#143 Feb 14, 2013
BTW--principal Donnie Kelly is leaving. Would someone please give his underwear directions?
Grass wrote:
Does anyone find it strange that the Board of Education does not want the middle school kids to walk or play on the natural grass surrounding the school?
Does the school board want to install astro turf around the schools? The children and teachers have to play and stand in the asphalt drive way when they are out side for any reason.
Donnie and Steppe are you listening? Do you think we are all stupid? Just wait till a kid or teacher is hit by a errant car playing in the driveway.
BTW--How is the UCBI relationship going? See how you back peddled when confronted? No grit.
Both of you boys can be out of here so fast your underwear will wonder where you went.
Paul

Alexander City, AL

#144 Feb 14, 2013
GOP wrote:
<quoted text>
If you run the numbers, you will see the interest alone will amount to over $4 million for 5 years. A total waste of tax money.
The School board acts as if they will spend the $13.5 in the first year. Won't happen. If they were to spend as they collect and not waste the money on interest, they may get more voter approval. As it is, they will not get my vote.
The school is going to get the money either through ad valorem taxes of your house or from the voluntary consumption tax. If this is voted down, the entire tax base for the school will only be within those who own property here. Why not collect from those who pass through so that they may help with our already heavy burden? Those who choose to rent can also help pay their share.

If voted down, it will be catastrophic for the county.
Jerry

Cleveland, GA

#145 Feb 14, 2013
Horseshit---I am tired of stupid spending, because the money is "free". I would rather pay the property tax and have some say as to what football field gets astro truf installed next. I would file suit. Then I would run against sitting politicians and send them home. Colwells got sent home . It can be done. Mason has breathed new life into responsible leadership in this county. Amazing what one honest man can do.!
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
The school is going to get the money either through ad valorem taxes of your house or from the voluntary consumption tax. If this is voted down, the entire tax base for the school will only be within those who own property here. Why not collect from those who pass through so that they may help with our already heavy burden? Those who choose to rent can also help pay their share.
Trolling Along

Blairsville, GA

#146 Feb 14, 2013
Jerry wrote:
Horseshit---I am tired of stupid spending, because the money is "free". I would rather pay the property tax and have some say as to what football field gets astro truf installed next. I would file suit. Then I would run against sitting politicians and send them home. Colwells got sent home . It can be done. Mason has breathed new life into responsible leadership in this county. Amazing what one honest man can do.!
<quoted text>
You sound a lot like that old fart Reb Blairsville. Are you sure you're not really him? I think maybe you are.
taxpayer

Blairsville, GA

#147 Feb 14, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Property Owners can only be pushed so far. My guess is a 3rd solution might emerge:

Budgetary Constraint and Fiscal Responsibility!

Simply put, the BOE will have less money, and they will actually have to exercise wisdom, good judgment, be able to prioritize projects by where they are most needed, and be a little more demanding when bidding things out.

But the whole, "Vote for this or your property taxes shoot the moon" bs is just that : fear mongering bs tactics designed to get the bank another interest bearing loan, and to pad the pockets of a small handfull that are going to reap the benefits of overbudgeted wasteful projects done under spec.

VOTE NO - AND WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO GET THE WORD OUT.
GOP

Dawsonville, GA

#148 Feb 15, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>

I agree taxes will rise if needed. The question is really about the purpose of an ELOST tax. The whole purpose of the tax was to allow the voters a way to pay for SPECIAL projects, without raising property taxes.
All local governments now have the mentality the sales tax is a necessary thing and must be used ad-infinitum.
Once needed projects are completed, the waste starts to accumulate rather quickly.
Most voters see the improvements the sales tax has provided in Union County. Most voters also see the waste that is now occurring
with a grab bag of minor projects.
For instance, they say they need more classrooms. How can this be when the student count has remained about the same over the last several years.
GOP

Dawsonville, GA

#149 Feb 15, 2013
GOP wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree taxes will rise if needed. The question is really about the purpose of an ELOST tax. The whole purpose of the tax was to allow the voters a way to pay for SPECIAL projects, without raising property taxes.
All local governments now have the mentality the sales tax is a necessary thing and must be used ad-infinitum.
Once needed projects are completed, the waste starts to accumulate rather quickly.
Most voters see the improvements the sales tax has provided in Union County. Most voters also see the waste that is now occurring
with a grab bag of minor projects.
For instance, they say they need more classrooms. How can this be when the student count has remained about the same over the last several years.

In addition, most anyone who gives any thought to taxes will know accountability is better with property taxes as opposed to a sales tax. Most people realize there is a lot of waste with a sales tax and also know a sales tax cost them more than a property tax increase will cost.
On average most people spend about $20k a year for living expenses which amounts to $200 in a 1 cent sales tax. Does anyone think the BOE would raise property taxes by $200 per property owner. I don't think so as they would be voted off the Board.
GOP

Dawsonville, GA

#150 Feb 15, 2013
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Property Owners can only be pushed so far. My guess is a 3rd solution might emerge:
Budgetary Constraint and Fiscal Responsibility!
Simply put, the BOE will have less money, and they will actually have to exercise wisdom, good judgment, be able to prioritize projects by where they are most needed, and be a little more demanding when bidding things out.
But the whole, "Vote for this or your property taxes shoot the moon" bs is just that : fear mongering bs tactics designed to get the bank another interest bearing loan, and to pad the pockets of a small handfull that are going to reap the benefits of overbudgeted wasteful projects done under spec.
VOTE NO - AND WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO GET THE WORD OUT.
Don't you just love the word "catastrophic". Depicts an attempt to put fear into the property owner so he will vote for the tax, when in reality the property owner is better off paying for schools with property taxes and holding the BOE accountable.
GOP

Dawsonville, GA

#151 Feb 15, 2013

We know what happens when the FEDS put taxpayers in debt, just watch the tv news.

Here's what happens when local officials put taxpayers in debt.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/14/usa...
Jerry

Cleveland, GA

#152 Feb 15, 2013
The problem is the sales tax is promoted as free money. So they do stupid things ,such as astro truf ball fields. Make memorials to half ass poets. Build million dollar flea markets and such.
Because it is free money that HAS to be spent.

And the middle school kids are told to not play or walk on the real grass. Hell Rogers spent the last 15 years of coaching cutting grass.

And no one at either newspaper would print or critic any of this foolishness.
GOP wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you just love the word "catastrophic". Depicts an attempt to put fear into the property owner so he will vote for the tax, when in reality the property owner is better off paying for schools with property taxes and holding the BOE accountable.
Kim

Jefferson, GA

#153 Feb 15, 2013
All forms of education funds could and should be drastically reduced due to the computer . Every person should and could be taught how to search and learn from the knowledge found through the web .
Clete

Clarkesville, GA

#154 Feb 16, 2013
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about this - we either pay for the security upgrades, buses, air conditioning upgrades, etc with SPLOST or with property taxes!! For me, I pay enough!!! Let the vistors that come here help us. I do not want ANY milage rate increases but if the SPLOST does not pass that is what they will do. It's not a new tax just to continue the current. No, not all the money has been used like I think it should have been used, but the necessary items MUST be done. cut thru all the fluff and I will support it to keep my property taxes from being raised!!!
Security upgrades? Changing out one camera for another? I have news for you, if a shooter is on camera, it is too late.
Clete

Clarkesville, GA

#155 Feb 16, 2013
Every time I eat lunch, or buy anything in this County it is 7% tax. TO Much.

Also why is our Electricity taxed a sales tax? Look at your bill. Our tax would be a lot less if Government did not waste a lot of it. Too much waste.

No Splost YEs for me.
Clete

Clarkesville, GA

#156 Feb 16, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Most of this stuff is unneeded anyway. We can do without.
If they have to raise property taxes they will be held accountable, but they won't because this is unneeded and they can't justify it to voters as a raise to millage.
Mtn Top Vents

Dawsonville, GA

#157 Feb 16, 2013
Esplost is another avenue for no oversight in spending. As a homeowner , I can't afford real estate taxes AND this esplost. The vote is planned for off month so no one will show up to vote Starting next week, vote at the courthouse and pass along to those who pay the bills.
Millie

Dawsonville, GA

#158 Feb 16, 2013
Read my lips "no more taxes". I think the school board waste too much money now.. By the way I thought a few years back we voted for a tax to build a new fine arts building, new football field & a lot of other things around the school campus. But there has been nothing done. I vote NO. Sorry big shot board members I'm not falling for it again.. Y'all are gonna have to figure a way to aquire these things instead of raising taxes.
Trackrock

Atlanta, GA

#159 Feb 16, 2013
I think its funny how many school system operation experts have suddenly shown up on Topix.
taxpayer

Blairsville, GA

#160 Feb 16, 2013
Look at your Electric Bill. See that State and Local Tax line item? These taxes aren't just for the loaf of bread you buy at the store - they add up on Utility bills also. Look at all your bills - they contain state and local taxes - and when you raise Esplost, you raise your power bill, your phone bill, propane, food, everything.

And then they waste huge chunks of it. How much was the bank interest on the last one?$500K? Astroturf? Extra classrooms for a school population that hasn't changed? Elementary and middle school teachers making $70K -$80K? Administrators and pencil pushers making $90K -$110K?

FISCAL RESTRAINT! BUDGETARY RESPONSIBILITY!
Yep

Cleveland, GA

#161 Feb 16, 2013
Happy to see an organization opposes the tax. Afraid it may be too little too late.

Yep, maybe we should mandate, by vote, that all future ELOST votes be taken during the same year(s) that Board of Education seats are voted upon. Of course itemized mandatory audits of the system should be required at least a couple of months prior to the votes.

Also, another item that shouldn’t be forgotten.

Along with the 7% you are paying upon everything –-- now the credit card companies are allowed to tack on an additional 2-4% of each purchase you make using a credit card (look at the new pricing at Hughes).

So if you pay with a credit card, you are now paying 7%+ 4%= 11%(minimum) on your purchases.

And that’s just for starters, the State, and Obama has many other fees (taxes) coming down the pike.
Chaos

Clarkesville, GA

#162 Feb 17, 2013
Yep wrote:
Happy to see an organization opposes the tax. Afraid it may be too little too late.
Yep, maybe we should mandate, by vote, that all future ELOST votes be taken during the same year(s) that Board of Education seats are voted upon. Of course itemized mandatory audits of the system should be required at least a couple of months prior to the votes.
Also, another item that shouldn’t be forgotten.
Along with the 7% you are paying upon everything –-- now the credit card companies are allowed to tack on an additional 2-4% of each purchase you make using a credit card (look at the new pricing at Hughes).
So if you pay with a credit card, you are now paying 7%+ 4%= 11%(minimum) on your purchases.
And that’s just for starters, the State, and Obama has many other fees (taxes) coming down the pike.
The great and powerful oz has spoken.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ranger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Isn't politics ineresting 52 min neighbor 2
School Board Elections 2014 57 min Hopeful Harriet 2
Holly Creek vs First Baptist 1 hr Real church 19
Review: The Old Soft Shoe 3 hr BeverlyJ 1
Ban Flights Now 5 hr Republican 38
Weapons of Mass Destruction 12 hr youareadilweed 5
Chatsworth. 14 hr brandon 7

Ranger News Video

Ranger Dating
Find my Match