|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

BlairsvilleBill wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a scan of it here: http://blairsville.com/images/splost2007.jpg
Thank you. It is my understanding that this tax must be strictly accounted for, separately. Perhaps the 1st order of business in defeating a new tax, is to find out exactly how the old one was used. It is also my understanding that there is still a substantial amount of debt owed on the old bond. How can we find out the accounting for the old ESPLOST?
Interested

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Here is a reminder "taxpayer".
The M0untains V0ice wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it will be accomplished. I have compiled a lot of documents that I am willing to share, including the full text of the general purpose bonds, and other information. If anyone wishes to take point, or draft a 1 - 2 page informational flyer, then I believe I might be able to host said document and aid in a mass email marketing or flyer distribution campaign. No promises. Interested parties can email me.
Also, someone asked for a printout of the Salaries over $50K. Here is a link to the 17 Page PDF Report that is current and shows ALL BOE salaries in 2012:
http://tinyurl.com/byakkqj
taxpayer

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Yes, I already have that document. MV is very helpful but he hasn't offered any accounting documents, and accounting documents is what I am interested in. But if he or ACOG wanted to provide those then that would be more helpful.
quotable

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

The entire world resembles a powder-keg in a room full of monkeys with matches.

“All we ask is to be left alone”

Since: Feb 12

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

TaxMan wrote:
http://www.georgia.org/SiteCol lectionDocuments/Industries/To urism/IndustryResearch/2010_Ec onomic_Impact_Report.pdf
On page 19 of the above report you will see where travel expenditures increased in Georgia by level of Government. There was an increase at the local level of 4.6% from 2009 to 2010.
Nationally, there was a sharp decrease from tourism dollars for year 2009. Tourist dollars slowly have increased for 2010 thru 2012.
Locally, ELOST tax revenue ONLY for Union county is as follows:
All of 2008 =$3,190,920.30
All of 2010 =$3,234,553.41, an increase over 2008 of 1.36%.
All of 2012 =$3,427,106.59, an increase over 2010 of 5.95%.
Include the other 2% sales taxes (SPLOST AND LOST), and Union county is collecting approx.$9.5 million a year in sales taxes alone. Multiply that by the 5 or 6 years of collecting that tax and the County is collecting from $47.5 million to $57 million.
Question? Do you believe the county is spending the money wisely? Does the county really need to spend millions on bonded interest to fund projects from a wish list?
Are you happy paying 94% of the sales tax in Union county? Would you get a better deal with a little higher property tax and hold elected officials to a higher degree of accountability?
On page 31 you will see Union County had 220 employees attributed to travel and tourism. Union Countyís payroll was $4 million on touristís expenditures of $19.52 million. County level taxes collected were $580,000 based on the 3% local sales taxes.
Each 1% tax collected $193,334 (1/3 of the $580,000) for the whole year of 2010 attributed to travel and tourism.(LOST, SPLOST, ELOST)
From the above numbers you can calculate the percentage of sale taxes attributed to travel and tourism.
For year 2010 ELOST tax distributed back to Union County ($3,234,553)= travel and tourism contributed $193,334 (divided by)$3,234,553 = 6%.
The same percentage holds true for all 3 of the 1% local sales taxes.
Local residents account for 94% of the sale taxes collected in Union county while travel and tourism accounts for 6%.
Local governments such as the Carl Vinson Institute of the University of Georgia do not have the capability of collecting sufficient data to put out correct data.
The report cited in this post is the most authoritative collection of tourism and travel expenditures in the U.S.
In this weekís NGN the front page article quotes the School Board as saying30-40% of ELOST money comes from tourists. Nothing could be further from the truth about any of the local sales taxes.
The County Commissioner put out the same mis-information to get the last SPLOST passed. And now the BOE is using the same tactics.
This post by TaxMan is certainly worthy of reposting. Sadly, it appears many people simply donít seem to care how their money is spent (read wasted) or just care more about trivia, playing and fun and games.

Maybe, it just goes to show that less and less of us are actually working to provide these things for those who apparently arenít concerned about working and paying for the constantly increasing, never ending taxes, wasteful spending and continuing abuse.
(continued)

“All we ask is to be left alone”

Since: Feb 12

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

(continued)
The Board of Education receives Local Property Taxes (dwarfing City/County Taxes), E-LOST, SPLOST, Georgia State LOTTERY Monies, grants, and many other sources of funding of which most of us are unaware (TaxMan HELP).

And we continue to be told with all the millions flowing into just our small community for Education, we are unable to provide, the basics of education for our children.

In this long depressed economy, we are told Education Administrators must continue to receive six (6) digit salaries each year with raises as well. That Georgia Teachers, now well above the National pay scales, should not be expect to participate in limited furlough days or other job saving moves, as those in other profession equally vital are suffering through.

No, something is seriously wrong with this picture.

Audits (outside Ė Independent AUDITS) need to be demanded, conducted and completed before we approve another penny to be spent outside our full knowledge, approval, and oversight.

Show us what we have paid for Ė that is to say scholastic achievement, average comparisons, those things showing a competing or above average accomplishment for our students, not questionable gyms, Astroturf, and the addition items recently listed upon the Boardís WANT list.

In todayís economy we are more interested in our NEEDS list.

I continue to be anticipative the people of our community and those community minded organizations concerned about the ELOST will host meetings including open debate having concrete information for the electorate prior the Mid-March anticipated VOTE.
taxpayer

Maysville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Maybe- wrote:
(continued)
I continue to be anticipative the people of our community and those community minded organizations concerned about the ELOST will host meetings including open debate having concrete information for the electorate prior the Mid-March anticipated VOTE.
Are their any meetings scheduled? Has Lamar or the School board scheduled any Q&A sessions?
UC Local

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Before I vote for another ESPLOST I want to know the status of past ESPLOT's.

Specifically I want to know,

1. Total amount of revenue taken in for each previous ESPLOST aproved by the voters.
2. Total amount spent/indebted for each ESLOST approved by the voters.
3. A breakdown of all money spent for each all projects in each ESPLOST including vendors, contractors, and interest.
4. All outstanding debt directly resulting from or related to previous ESPLOST.
5. A list of each project by priority the Board intends to utilize the new (2013) ESPLOST to pay for.
6. A list of projects included in previous ESPLOST that were never started/or not completed that the Board is still legally obligated to complete!

Every bit of information requested above is subject to open records requests. If this information is disclosed I will support a new ESPLOST. If not my vote will be no. I am tired of our so called leaders treating everyone like dumb animals. Make information available and I bet the majority can make the correct decision. In fact when the Board gets around to making their wish list for the new ESPLOST why not let the public narrow the list down to what we feel is important.
uct

Blue Ridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

UC Local wrote:
Before I vote for another ESPLOST I want to know the status of past ESPLOT's.
Specifically I want to know,
1. Total amount of revenue taken in for each previous ESPLOST aproved by the voters.
2. Total amount spent/indebted for each ESLOST approved by the voters.
3. A breakdown of all money spent for each all projects in each ESPLOST including vendors, contractors, and interest.
4. All outstanding debt directly resulting from or related to previous ESPLOST.
5. A list of each project by priority the Board intends to utilize the new (2013) ESPLOST to pay for.
6. A list of projects included in previous ESPLOST that were never started/or not completed that the Board is still legally obligated to complete!
Every bit of information requested above is subject to open records requests. If this information is disclosed I will support a new ESPLOST. If not my vote will be no. I am tired of our so called leaders treating everyone like dumb animals. Make information available and I bet the majority can make the correct decision. In fact when the Board gets around to making their wish list for the new ESPLOST why not let the public narrow the list down to what we feel is important.
great post I agree The problem I see is that the Board does not want you or I to know details Pass it and we will tell you what is in it mentality
taxpayer

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

This topic has been to quiet. Back to the top. I want to know if anyone thinks this will pass, or is it time to start raising he11.
Yep

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

taxpayer wrote:
This topic has been to quiet. Back to the top. I want to know if anyone thinks this will pass, or is it time to start raising he11.
The vote is next month; to my knowledge no recognized organized opposition.

Yep, as someone posted above, it will silently sneak up upon us, and therefore once again pass, as no one (group) has taken the initiative to formally pose opposition.
taxpayer

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Is the local Union County Tea Party gone soft on this issue? Is there any leadership on this issue?
Yep

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

taxpayer wrote:
Is the local Union County Tea Party gone soft on this issue? Is there any leadership on this issue?
Would like to say Yep, but Iím afraid it appears to be Nope.

I am unaware of anyone, at this time, taking the bull by the horns to assume the lead in the opposition of this grossly misused and abused tax; which will surely be renewed without widespread public indignation.
GOP

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Would like to say Yep, but Iím afraid it appears to be Nope.
I am unaware of anyone, at this time, taking the bull by the horns to assume the lead in the opposition of this grossly misused and abused tax; which will surely be renewed without widespread public indignation.

I read where the local GOP party has come out against the ELOST tax that is to be voted on March 19. Maybe they are the ones taking the bull by the horns.

The only thing wrong in the message was the party Leader is ALSO mis-informed about the amount of sales tax collected from locals as opposed to outsiders. He said locals account for 65% of a splost tax.

It has been post numerous times that visitors account for less than 10% of a one cent sales tax collected in Union county. Locals account for more than 90% of any splost tax.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

If you review the article in yesterday's paper, the one thing quite obvious is that no matter what the revenue is spent on, you , the voter, will not be able to complain. The so called "project list" includes everything and anything the BOE wants to spnd the money on. Not many specific projects are defined and none were costed out.
Sort of a blank check for the BOE.
Observer

Blairsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

GOP the 35% is the only part that the Republican Executive Committee got right in their opposition.
Grass

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Does anyone find it strange that the Board of Education does not want the middle school kids to walk or play on the natural grass surrounding the school?

Does the school board want to install astro turf around the schools? The children and teachers have to play and stand in the asphalt drive way when they are out side for any reason.

Donnie and Steppe are you listening? Do you think we are all stupid? Just wait till a kid or teacher is hit by a errant car playing in the driveway.

BTW--How is the UCBI relationship going? See how you back peddled when confronted? No grit.

Both of you boys can be out of here so fast your underwear will wonder where you went.
Extra

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

I would rather pay property tax than turn any more fools loose with SLOST funds. Mr. Paris and the school board has broken me of making the "tourist" pay.
Paladinhgwt wrote:
If you review the article in yesterday's paper, the one thing quite obvious is that no matter what the revenue is spent on, you , the voter, will not be able to complain. The so called "project list" includes everything and anything the BOE wants to spnd the money on. Not many specific projects are defined and none were costed out.
GOP

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Observer wrote:
GOP the 35% is the only part that the Republican Executive Committee got right in their opposition.

You are dead wrong and cannot back up what you say.
The local GOP party used the wrong number and is only quoting the school board member from the last article in the NGN a couple of weeks ago.

GOP

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Paladinhgwt wrote:

If you run the numbers, you will see the interest alone will amount to over $4 million for 5 years. A total waste of tax money.

The School board acts as if they will spend the $13.5 in the first year. Won't happen. If they were to spend as they collect and not waste the money on interest, they may get more voter approval. As it is, they will not get my vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ranger Discussions

Search the Ranger Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 18 min General Robert E Lee 49,746
Clinic at Walmart and UGH (Apr '10) 25 min Also Walmart clinic user 24
Union County Development Authority 1 hr tmv post 6
Local banks in Blairsville 1 hr tmv post 47
Nudist colony in Union County ? 1 hr Big Daddy 22
Republican Primary runoff 2 hr PTM 12
Here It Comes-More Proof 3 hr Beldare 5
•••
•••

Ranger News Video

•••
•••

Ranger Jobs