1% sales tax for board of education

ACOG

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#102 Jan 22, 2013
Maybe- wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.
I was of the understanding that a Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) was somewhat different in nature than a Local Option Sales Tax (LOST). Possibly usage designation, I don’t know.
Nevertheless, the issue at hand is defeat of renewal, should abuse, misuse, and/or misappropriation be evidenced, and the Community determines to deny renewal, until or unless more reliable and transparent administration of the funding and projects are acquired.
The problem is all the lies the public officials tell when trying to get these taxes passed.

Did the Commissioner tell anyone that there was a 7,668,000 deficit from the previous SPLOST while he was giving a sales pitch for the new 2009 SPLOST? NO!!!!

Lamar said the Farmers Market/Cannery/Arena was going to cost $750,000 it cost was way over a million, just for the Cannery and Farmers market

The cost of the Horse Arena Improvements (bleachers, fencing & tractor) for $150,000 ended up being over $750,000 for a Covered Horse Arena. Did he discuss this with and ask the taxpayers what they thought? NO!!!

The Suches Community Center sales pitch was $150,000 for a Community Center that was to be built connected to the fire station. You got over $400,000 gym right across from the ESPLOST $3.5 million dollar gym for 100 students. Did he discuss this change with the taxpayers? NO!!!

Did Lamar tell you he was going to spend over a $100,000 for the batting cages? Did he even mention this during the sales pitch? NO!!! What is Lamars connection to this property?

What about the million dollar land purchase for 30 acres that backs up to Lamars property? He just happens to have 3 separate parcels.

The list goes on…STOP ALL SPLOST until these people are held accountable for their wasteful spending.

“All we ask is to be left alone”

Since: Feb 12

Blairsville, GA

#103 Jan 22, 2013
ACOG wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is all the lies the public officials tell when trying to get these taxes passed.
Did the Commissioner tell anyone that there was a 7,668,000 deficit from the previous SPLOST while he was giving a sales pitch for the new 2009 SPLOST? NO!!!!
Lamar said the Farmers Market/Cannery/Arena was going to cost $750,000 it cost was way over a million, just for the Cannery and Farmers market
The cost of the Horse Arena Improvements (bleachers, fencing & tractor) for $150,000 ended up being over $750,000 for a Covered Horse Arena. Did he discuss this with and ask the taxpayers what they thought? NO!!!
The Suches Community Center sales pitch was $150,000 for a Community Center that was to be built connected to the fire station. You got over $400,000 gym right across from the ESPLOST $3.5 million dollar gym for 100 students. Did he discuss this change with the taxpayers? NO!!!
Did Lamar tell you he was going to spend over a $100,000 for the batting cages? Did he even mention this during the sales pitch? NO!!! What is Lamars connection to this property?
What about the million dollar land purchase for 30 acres that backs up to Lamars property? He just happens to have 3 separate parcels.
The list goes on…STOP ALL SPLOST until these people are held accountable for their wasteful spending.
Thanks for your reply. The current concern and focus is upon the upcoming E-SPLOST.

I understand it will be up for a vote of renewal soon.

In my view, it appears vital for the community to obtain reliable, factual, and verifiable information for community adjudication resulting in the possible denial of renewal, unless or until more responsible, dependable, and transparent administration of funding and projects completion.

If you haven’t read my earlier posts upon this thread, I trust you will. It appears to me an effort such as that launched locally to defeat T-SPLOST could succeed provided those who contributed to that effort would participate.

ACOG

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#104 Jan 22, 2013
Maybe- wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your reply. The current concern and focus is upon the upcoming E-SPLOST.
I understand it will be up for a vote of renewal soon.
In my view, it appears vital for the community to obtain reliable, factual, and verifiable information for community adjudication resulting in the possible denial of renewal, unless or until more responsible, dependable, and transparent administration of funding and projects completion.
If you haven’t read my earlier posts upon this thread, I trust you will. It appears to me an effort such as that launched locally to defeat T-SPLOST could succeed provided those who contributed to that effort would participate.
I think the 3.5 million dollars spent on a gym from ESPLOST for 100 students in Suches when they had a prefectly good gym already (the old one rebuilt across the street )in this day and time SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??????
Maybe Not

Dahlonega, GA

#105 Jan 22, 2013
Maybe- wrote:
Warning:
Don’t be sidetracked by futile distractions.
Time is of the essence.
Consider this as an appeal to those with concrete, verifiable, and reliable factual information to share that evidence.
This coming from a poster who has the phrase “All we ask is to be left alone” and an American flag as his icon... Yeah, right, we want to be left alone... that's why we in the good old U.S. of A. have invaded more countries than any other on the planet... talk about futile distractions...

“All we ask is to be left alone”

Since: Feb 12

Blairsville, GA

#106 Jan 22, 2013
ACOG wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the 3.5 million dollars spent on a gym from ESPLOST for 100 students in Suches when they had a prefectly good gym already (the old one rebuilt across the street )in this day and time SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!!!! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??????
Yes, I’ve heard many complaining both generally on the street, and over heard from taxpayers from within the offices of the Tax Commissioner, they went so far as to call a Deputy on one poor old man.(before the election of the New Tax Commissioner)

Still remains a need for the organization, and consolidation of the information, and someone with the skills of those on the forefront of the T-SPLOST victory.
Apparently - NOT

Commerce, GA

#107 Jan 22, 2013
Maybe Not wrote:
<quoted text>
This coming from a poster who has the phrase “All we ask is to be left alone” and an American flag as his icon... Yeah, right, we want to be left alone... that's why we in the good old U.S. of A. have invaded more countries than any other on the planet... talk about futile distractions...
Hey,I've seen this poster before.

Huh - Cleveland,GA, aye?

But wait, she said she NEVER used what she called sock puppets.

Oh My just goes to show you, some people are unbelievable.

No need to go underground, just fess up, everyone know what you really are.
Mean as a Stripped Snake

Dahlonega, GA

#109 Jan 22, 2013
The M0untains V0ice wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it will be accomplished. I have compiled a lot of documents that I am willing to share, including the full text of the general purpose bonds, and other information. If anyone wishes to take point, or draft a 1 - 2 page informational flyer, then I believe I might be able to host said document and aid in a mass email marketing or flyer distribution campaign. No promises. Interested parties can email me.
Also, someone asked for a printout of the Salaries over $50K. Here is a link to the 17 Page PDF Report that is current and shows ALL BOE salaries in 2012:
http://tinyurl.com/byakkqj
Maybe you could publish this in that newspaper you were going to start... oops, you never did that, just like you never did many, many things you said you were going to do.(Say, is UCBI still running, I though you said you were going to take them down.) Oh, well, maybe The Mountain really didn't talk to you...

Since: Oct 11

not flarda

#110 Jan 22, 2013
I haint never seen a stripped snake before. Han I don't think I want to either.
Mean as a Stripped Snake wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you could publish this in that newspaper you were going to start... oops, you never did that, just like you never did many, many things you said you were going to do.(Say, is UCBI still running, I though you said you were going to take them down.) Oh, well, maybe The Mountain really didn't talk to you...
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#111 Jan 23, 2013
Apparently - NOT wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Hey,I've seen this poster before.
Huh - Cleveland,GA, aye?
But wait, she said she NEVER used what she called sock puppets.
Oh My just goes to show you, some people are unbelievable.
No need to go underground, just fess up, everyone know what you really are.
Sorry pal,
missed the mark,
but thanks for playing.
Maybe Not

Dahlonega, GA

#112 Jan 23, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry pal,
missed the mark,
but thanks for playing.
Don't you just hate a sore loser, Oh my? Lots of them here on Topix, I guess because no one else takes them serious.
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

#113 Jan 23, 2013
The M0untains V0ice wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it will be accomplished. I have compiled a lot of documents that I am willing to share, including the full text of the general purpose bonds, and other information. If anyone wishes to take point, or draft a 1 - 2 page informational flyer, then I believe I might be able to host said document and aid in a mass email marketing or flyer distribution campaign. No promises. Interested parties can email me.
Also, someone asked for a printout of the Salaries over $50K. Here is a link to the 17 Page PDF Report that is current and shows ALL BOE salaries in 2012:
http://tinyurl.com/byakkqj
Thank you for the link to the salaries. All those over $50,000 should be cut by 5%. Times are tough and the taxpayers are making less, and are consequently paying less taxes. Those that are paid by the taxpayers must have their wages temporarily adjusted to help get through this patch in the economy alsso. It is a basic free market principal. Wages are adjusted according to economic conditions. The public sector is not exempt from the exercise of sound financial principles.
TaxMan

Commerce, GA

#114 Jan 23, 2013
http://www.georgia.org/SiteCollectionDocument...

On page 19 of the above report you will see where travel expenditures increased in Georgia by level of Government. There was an increase at the local level of 4.6% from 2009 to 2010.

Nationally; there was a sharp decrease from tourism dollars for year 2009. Tourist dollars slowly have increased for 2010 thru 2012.

Locally; ELOST tax revenue ONLY for Union county is as follows:
All of 2008 =$3,190,920.30
All of 2010 =$3,234,553.41, an increase over 2008 of 1.36%.
All of 2012 =$3,427,106.59, an increase over 2010 of 5.95%.

Include the other 2% sales taxes(SPLOST AND LOST), and Union county is collecting approx.$9.5 million a year in sales taxes alone. Multiply that by the 5 or 6 years of collecting that tax and the County is collecting from $47.5 million to $57 million.

Question? Do you believe the county is spending the money wisely? Does the county really need to spend millions on bonded interest to fund projects from a wish list?

Are you happy paying 94% of the sales tax in Union county? Would you get a better deal with a little higher property tax and hold elected officials to a higher degree of accountability?

On page 31 you will see Union County had 220 employees attributed to travel and tourism. Union County’s payroll was $4 million on tourist’s expenditures of $19.52 million. County level taxes collected were $580,000 based on the 3% local sales tax.
Each 1% tax collected $193,334 (1/3 of the $580,000) for the whole year of 2010 attributed to travel and tourism.(LOST, SPLOST, ELOST)

From the above numbers you can calculate the percentage of sale taxes attributed to travel and tourism.
For year 2010 ELOST tax distributed back to Union County was($3,234,553). Travel and tourism contributed $193,334 (divided by)$3,234,553 = 6%.
The same percentage holds true for all 3 of the 1% local sales taxes.

Local residents account for 94% of the sale taxes collected in Union county while travel and tourism accounts for 6%.

Local governments such as the Carl Vinson Institute of the University of Georgia do not have the capability of collecting sufficient data to put out correct data.

The report cited in this post is the most authoritative collection of tourism and travel expenditures in the U.S.

In this week’s NGN the front page article quotes the School Board as saying 30-40% of ELOST money comes from tourists. Nothing could be further from the truth about any of the local sales taxes.

The County Commissioner put out the same mis-information to get the last SPLOST passed. And now the BOE is using the same tactics.
TaxMan

Commerce, GA

#115 Jan 23, 2013
http://www.georgia.org/SiteCollectionDocument...
On page 19 of the above report you will see where travel expenditures increased in Georgia by level of Government. There was an increase at the local level of 4.6% from 2009 to 2010.
Nationally, there was a sharp decrease from tourism dollars for year 2009. Tourist dollars slowly have increased for 2010 thru 2012.
Locally, ELOST tax revenue ONLY for Union county is as follows:
All of 2008 =$3,190,920.30
All of 2010 =$3,234,553.41, an increase over 2008 of 1.36%.
All of 2012 =$3,427,106.59, an increase over 2010 of 5.95%.
Include the other 2% sales taxes (SPLOST AND LOST), and Union county is collecting approx.$9.5 million a year in sales taxes alone. Multiply that by the 5 or 6 years of collecting that tax and the County is collecting from $47.5 million to $57 million.
Question? Do you believe the county is spending the money wisely? Does the county really need to spend millions on bonded interest to fund projects from a wish list?
Are you happy paying 94% of the sales tax in Union county? Would you get a better deal with a little higher property tax and hold elected officials to a higher degree of accountability?

On page 31 you will see Union County had 220 employees attributed to travel and tourism. Union County’s payroll was $4 million on tourist’s expenditures of $19.52 million. County level taxes collected were $580,000 based on the 3% local sales taxes.
Each 1% tax collected $193,334 (1/3 of the $580,000) for the whole year of 2010 attributed to travel and tourism.(LOST, SPLOST, ELOST)

From the above numbers you can calculate the percentage of sale taxes attributed to travel and tourism.
For year 2010 ELOST tax distributed back to Union County ($3,234,553)= travel and tourism contributed $193,334 (divided by)$3,234,553 = 6%.
The same percentage holds true for all 3 of the 1% local sales taxes.
Local residents account for 94% of the sale taxes collected in Union county while travel and tourism accounts for 6%.
Local governments such as the Carl Vinson Institute of the University of Georgia do not have the capability of collecting sufficient data to put out correct data.
The report cited in this post is the most authoritative collection of tourism and travel expenditures in the U.S.

In this week’s NGN the front page article quotes the School Board as saying30-40% of ELOST money comes from tourists. Nothing could be further from the truth about any of the local sales taxes.
The County Commissioner put out the same mis-information to get the last SPLOST passed. And now the BOE is using the same tactics.
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

#116 Jan 23, 2013
TaxMan wrote:
In this week’s NGN the front page article quotes the School Board as saying 30-40% of ELOST money comes from tourists.
I saw that. Wondered where they got that number and would love to see the supporting data for the estimate. Someone should ask them to provide it. We should be demanding they start backing up some of their outrageous comments.
Lying Linda

Texarkana, TX

#117 Jan 23, 2013
ACOG wrote:
<quoted text>
You gave all this nonsense to Richard Belcher of WSB-TV, he looked at it, listened to you, and made you look like a fool on TV. You are a fool. You are too stupid to understand numbers and contracts etc. Look you had you chance you lost and it is time for you to shut up. Please Lying Lynda, shut up.
norm got fired

Dawsonville, GA

#118 Jan 24, 2013
Lying Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
You gave all this nonsense to Richard Belcher of WSB-TV, he looked at it, listened to you, and made you look like a fool on TV. You are a fool. You are too stupid to understand numbers and contracts etc. Look you had you chance you lost and it is time for you to shut up. Please Lying Lynda, shut up.
Luckily, Mr. West was smart enough to surround himself with wise counselors who saw the writing on the wall, and cut the dead weight captain from the ship before he sank it.

Move on. Get over it. If you are up late drinking alone - you may need to seek the attendance at a local AA meeting. If you are up late obsessing this badly - ONCE AGAIN - and you are NOT drinking or taking some sort of mind altering chemical that is causing this behavior, then perhaps you should seek some professional counseling. You are not coming across as a person who is projecting a stable composure.

And people that know you, if they know about this obsessive behavior, are NOT doing you a favor just talking about you and smirking at you behind your back. If they were true friends they would sit you down and have a heart to heart.
AGREE

Dawsonville, GA

#119 Jan 24, 2013
No more taxes until the following conditions met:
1) 5% Salary cuts on $50,000 and above
2) Pay as you go - no more advance funding through bonds that waste millions in Interest rate fees.

BOE has become an out of control waste machine. Overspent monies on projects that have nothing to do with quality of education, and more to do with keeping a few companies receiving construction checks.
UC Person

Atlanta, GA

#120 Jan 24, 2013
EProperty Taxes are too high! I have no children in this or any school district. EProperty Taxes are higher than county property taxes. Why? The rock has bled enough
taxpayer

Dawsonville, GA

#121 Jan 25, 2013
Does anyone have a link to the copy of the old esplost text that was voted on?

Since: Aug 08

Blairsville, GA

#122 Jan 25, 2013
taxpayer wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the copy of the old esplost text that was voted on?
There's a scan of it here: http://blairsville.com/images/splost2007.jpg

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ranger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christmas lights 4 hr Chris 3
Expedition Bigfoot in Cherry Log 4 hr Happy Days 8
What does Blairsville need? 4 hr Happy Days 176
Do you hate all Floridiots regardless of their ... Sat Comment 45
bearding Fri verimary 1
Copelands Fri Superintendent 7
American Catch Fri happy 5

Ranger Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance