First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Whynot

Chatsworth, GA

#1 Jul 22, 2013
How is it possible that Blue Ridge is getting a Walmart and nobody in Murray County Politics is doing anything to get something like this here?
They also have a Home Depot and many other retail stores that we have never shown any interest in getting. Murray County has about 16,000 more people than Fannin County and 24% of Fannin's population is 65 or older and Murray County is 12%.
The old excuse that we have a Walmart close by doesn't work here, 16 miles South of Blueridge in Ellijay there is a Walmart and 10 miles north about halfway to Blairsville there is a Walmart.
Blueridge has had A Rose's for many years.
By the way how did tiny Blairsville get a walmart and Home Depot they are a tiny population County.
We need to demand that somebody do something to get Murray into the 21th Century.
A man or woman cannot buy a suit of cloths in this County or a pair of shoes anywhere but a Dollar Store. What the hell is wrong?????
Murray County Resident

Dalton, GA

#2 Jul 23, 2013
County officials have tried for years to get these big stores in here, but Murray County citizens don't understand the plain facts:

WE DO NOT HAVE THE POPULATION BASE TO SUPPORT A STORE LIKE WALMART.
i love walmart

Dalton, GA

#3 Jul 23, 2013
Just go to dalton ga. it's not that far. I go every week and stock up where I don't have to deal with the stupidity of chatsworth ga.
dollarstoreshopp er

Dalton, GA

#4 Jul 23, 2013
The Dollar Stores own Murray Co.
Apples and Oranges

Dalton, GA

#5 Jul 23, 2013
Whynot wrote:
How is it possible that Blue Ridge is getting a Walmart and nobody in Murray County Politics is doing anything to get something like this here?
They also have a Home Depot and many other retail stores that we have never shown any interest in getting. Murray County has about 16,000 more people than Fannin County and 24% of Fannin's population is 65 or older and Murray County is 12%.
The old excuse that we have a Walmart close by doesn't work here, 16 miles South of Blueridge in Ellijay there is a Walmart and 10 miles north about halfway to Blairsville there is a Walmart.
By the way how did tiny Blairsville get a walmart and Home Depot they are a tiny population County.
We need to demand that somebody do something to get Murray into the 21th Century.
A man or woman cannot buy a suit of cloths in this County or a pair of shoes anywhere but a Dollar Store. What the hell is wrong?????
You might as well be clamoring for a cruise ship company to offer cruises on Holly Creek. Murray County is the bedroom community for Dalton's mill hands, along with all of their baggage. That's the route that Murray's finest chose to take. It didn't require a lot of hard thinking for them to chop up one of the most picturesque tracts of land in the Southeast into trailer lots, for a quick buck.

Blue Ridge and Ellijay are retirement/resort communities, that have taken advantage of their mountain locations to attract people who have assets and disposable incomes - 75 percent of the population doesn't live on welfare.
curious

Dalton, GA

#6 Jul 23, 2013
Whynot wrote:
Murray County has too many local residents that own most of the businesses in chatsworth that would be put out of business if a big box store built here. Money controls the politics as well as the school system.
SlimShady

Dalton, GA

#7 Jul 23, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Murray County has too many local residents that own most of the businesses in chatsworth that would be put out of business if a big box store built here. Money controls the politics as well as the school system.
You're so green with envy I bet you look like Shrek. You dumbass Ogre. LMAO!!!
Well

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jul 23, 2013
Now lets leave the Dollar Stores alone.They are great!
whynot

Chatsworth, GA

#10 Jul 23, 2013
Murray County Resident wrote:
County officials have tried for years to get these big stores in here, but Murray County citizens don't understand the plain facts:
WE DO NOT HAVE THE POPULATION BASE TO SUPPORT A STORE LIKE WALMART.
Please look at the math again. We have almost 16,000 more people than Fannin County and probably twice the population of Union County and we are larger than Gilmer.
Numbnuts like you are probably the reason Walmart won't come here.
rex

Chatsworth, GA

#11 Jul 23, 2013
whynot wrote:
<quoted text>
Please look at the math again. We have almost 16,000 more people than Fannin County and probably twice the population of Union County and we are larger than Gilmer.
Numbnuts like you are probably the reason Walmart won't come here.
How many of those are under 18 or unemployed? Money is what brings in these big corporations not population. You have the Dollar stores in Murray County for that reason, they will suffice.
Joe44

United States

#12 Jul 23, 2013
Murray Co = Low Class Hillbillie Trash
Joe44

United States

#13 Jul 23, 2013
Just Joking
whynot

Chatsworth, GA

#14 Jul 24, 2013
rex wrote:
<quoted text>
How many of those are under 18 or unemployed? Money is what brings in these big corporations not population. You have the Dollar stores in Murray County for that reason, they will suffice.
Fannin County has no industry that I know of and all Gilmer county has is the Chicken plant that mostly employs illegals. Murray's demographics are better than both of these counties. Their older population is double Murray's.
There are 4 Walmarts along 515 within 45 miles in 4 small counties. Pickens, Gilmer, Fannin and Union.
There is no excuse for Murray having something like a Walmart to help our tax base. Somebody really powerful doesn't want it here and the puppets in the Courthouse are doing their bidding.
Oakman, Ranger or Fairmount will get a Walmart before Murray.
hum

Dalton, GA

#15 Jul 24, 2013
whynot wrote:
<quoted text>
Fannin County has no industry that I know of and all Gilmer county has is the Chicken plant that mostly employs illegals. Murray's demographics are better than both of these counties. Their older population is double Murray's.
There are 4 Walmarts along 515 within 45 miles in 4 small counties. Pickens, Gilmer, Fannin and Union.
There is no excuse for Murray having something like a Walmart to help our tax base. Somebody really powerful doesn't want it here and the puppets in the Courthouse are doing their bidding.
Why not call Pittman and ask her?

Since: Sep 12

Dalton, GA

#16 Jul 24, 2013
whynot wrote:
<quoted text>
OZ believes you just answered your initial question with "515". Stores like Walmart do not look at population only. They look at major roadways that are traveled by people outside the area. I-75 and I-575 (which turns into 515) are the two most traveled roads in north Georgia. And while US-411 used to see more traffic, 515 took much of that away. If OZ is not mistaken, the closest Walmart actually on US-411 north of I-75 is is Madisonville, TN. Benton, TN probably has a shot because of its connection with US-64.
OZ Has Spoken
whynot

Chatsworth, GA

#17 Jul 24, 2013
The Great OZ wrote:
<quoted text>
OZ believes you just answered your initial question with "515". Stores like Walmart do not look at population only. They look at major roadways that are traveled by people outside the area. I-75 and I-575 (which turns into 515) are the two most traveled roads in north Georgia. And while US-411 used to see more traffic, 515 took much of that away. If OZ is not mistaken, the closest Walmart actually on US-411 north of I-75 is is Madisonville, TN. Benton, TN probably has a shot because of its connection with US-64.
OZ Has Spoken

515 is part of the reason but I doubt 4 Walmarts within 45 miles on the same highway has that much impact by tourist on a given store.
By the way Madisonville is much smaller than Chatsworth and the same travel traffic goes through Chatsworth that goes through Madisonville.
411 has been decimated by the little ticket fee grabber towns in Georgia and Tennessee. Has anyone noticed how the truck traffic has been reduced in the past few years. 411 in the most direct route to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for people in Metro Atlanta but people don't travel this route because of the speed limit and the speeding tickets.
Walmart has been around many years Ellijay is on their second Walmart. Murray County was booming a few years ago so why not a Walmart then?
Doesn't have to be a Walmart could be something else anything to boost revenue and take some of the burden off the property owners.
It is not just Pittmans fault it is a failure of leadership over many years.
seriously

Dawsonville, GA

#18 Jul 24, 2013
Yeah give Bruce and heather miller somewhere to steal from

Since: Sep 12

Dalton, GA

#19 Jul 24, 2013
whynot wrote:
<quoted text>.
515 is part of the reason but I doubt 4 Walmarts within 45 miles on the same highway has that much impact by tourist on a given store.
By the way Madisonville is much smaller than Chatsworth and the same travel traffic goes through Chatsworth that goes through Madisonville.
411 has been decimated by the little ticket fee grabber towns in Georgia and Tennessee. Has anyone noticed how the truck traffic has been reduced in the past few years. 411 in the most direct route to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for people in Metro Atlanta but people don't travel this route because of the speed limit and the speeding tickets.
Walmart has been around many years Ellijay is on their second Walmart. Murray County was booming a few years ago so why not a Walmart then?
Doesn't have to be a Walmart could be something else anything to boost revenue and take some of the burden off the property owners.
It is not just Pittmans fault it is a failure of leadership over many years.
Actually, Madisonville is slightly larger in area and in population compared to Chatsworth (OZ looked it up). PLUS (and it's a big one) Madisonville is home to a small college, which is a definite drawing point for Walmart.
Not only do I know Ms. Pittman, but I know some of Murray's past leaders. They have all tried to get the bigger stores, but none of them want to come because of the reasons OZ has mentioned.
By the way, OZ likes your desire to see Murray grow AND give the property owners some relief.
OZ Has Spoken
knows the truth

Carrollton, GA

#20 Jul 24, 2013
Why don't just forget Walmart, and have a target built here? Walmart really is overrated.
not good business

Dalton, GA

#21 Jul 27, 2013
Walmart or Target would be a very good idea for Murray esp. Target because there is not one around very close. A good idea until they do build something over here is AMAZON and EBAY. I went yesterday to purchase a frontline for my dog because the person I normally order from had a death in the family and was behind send out her orders. They were going to charge me $22.00 for one application of frontline 0-22 pounds. I got three applications for $18.00. Three of them there would have run me $59.00. These people in MURRAY will take advantage of the situation if they can. Save your money and don't let them bleed you dry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ranger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 7 min Chopper Read 55,626
computer shops 23 min tmn post 4
Who is running against Lamar Paris? 44 min not a fan 19
Poor ittle grandaughter 1 hr what is wrong wit... 9
dana tate 1 hr LinebackerFace 2
Steve's Steakhouse 2 hr Love Blairsville 53
GSP vs. motorcycle fatality 2 hr Love Blairsville 44
•••

Ranger News Video

•••
•••

Ranger Jobs

•••