Posted in the Randolph Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Budd Lake, NJ

#1 Feb 23, 2013
Hello,

My daughter goes to Goddard School in Randolph, NJ and yesterday my wife and I received a call that someone made a terrorist threat against the kids that go the school. When my wife went to the school, there were 3 cop cars there. One of the cops told my wife that a teenage kid from Randolph said on his Twitter page that he was going to "decimate" the school and all the "brats" that went there. The threat was the beginning of the problem(s) that I see:

1)The local media hasn't published a story of this yet. I went on to NJ.com to see if there is anything and there is not.
2)The police have not released information around this crime.
3)In regards to the above. I believe the individual that made this terrorist threat is a minor. However, in cases such as this the individual should be tried as an adult.
4)Other local day cares were not notified of this terrorist threat.

Please post if you know any information about this incident as I am only a concerned parent trying to figure what happened and to keep our schools and community safe.

Thanks.
Tracey

Sparta, NJ

#2 Feb 23, 2013
My Son goes to Goddard in Sparta and even the Sparta location had low level lockdown with police being there as they wanted to take every precaution until the teen was arrested (which I believe he's been arrested). Not too sure of all the details but it's a very scary thought to think that children are potentially in danger whilst at school.
Denville

Danielson, CT

#3 Feb 23, 2013
Our children attend the Goddard school in Denville - we all received emails but I did not receive the same information you did - we were told a randoulph hs student tweeted when life gives you lemons sh*** up g*dd@rd schools . I was also told that it was a "joke" and the child was released to his parents - I'm not ok with this -- how can this be considered a joke .
Concerned Parent

Budd Lake, NJ

#4 Feb 23, 2013
I am not 100% sure what the tweet stated as my wife heard that from the cop at Goddard. It's possible the cop was paraphrasing from another paraphrase. That is one of the reasons why I am so upset as no one knows the facts. After Newton, there are no "jokes" about mass murder. I believe the individual that made this tweet should be tried as an aduly.
Denville Goddard parent

Morristown, NJ

#5 Feb 23, 2013
I absolutely agree. I am in no way okay with this person being released. I too, heard that he was arrested but also heard that it was two kids tweeting to each other from one of the teachers. No one in their right mind makes threats against little kids and I hope that much more is being done than just releasing the offender(s) to their parents.
Denville

Danielson, CT

#6 Feb 23, 2013
So what's the next step what do we do as parents to protect our children- I feel their should be a restraining order at min filed against both of these individuals . I understand that they are minors but we have a right to know who is placing threats against our children. I'm so worried and terrified to send them back on Monday.
Goddard Denville Parent

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Feb 24, 2013
I think that once my kids are asleep to ought I am going to call the police dept and see what detail I can get as to how I can send my children to school tomorrow and be sure that it was just a "joke".
Denville Goddard Parent

Morristown, NJ

#8 Feb 24, 2013
I called the Denville Police Department and basically said that I was a Goddard parent who wanted to speak with someone about the lockdown on Friday before sending my two kids back to the school tomorrow and he directed me to the Randolph PD, saying "Randolph handled all of it so we don't really have the information" but when I called Randolph and spoke with the dispacher, he put me through to Records, which of course, is closed. I tried the Detectives Unit but was unable to get anyone live. I just want to hear that it's been handled and that they are positive that it was not a threat that could have been acted upon before sending my kids there. Not happy.
Concerned Parent

Budd Lake, NJ

#9 Feb 24, 2013
I am going to talk to Randolph Police Department as well to find out the facts about this incident. Let's continue to keep each other informed as traditional media as not reported this story.
Randolph parent

Atlanta, GA

#10 Feb 24, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
I am going to talk to Randolph Police Department as well to find out the facts about this incident. Let's continue to keep each other informed as traditional media as not reported this story.
I agree and will be calling Randolph as well. We deserve a detailed explanation. Hey shouldn't be protecting the individuals that did this. If it is brushe under the rug a being ok then we will see this behavior moving forward. Joke or no joke.... It's sick... An the action should have severe punishment.
Denville

Danielson, CT

#11 Feb 24, 2013
I reached out to Goddard's CR department on Friday - they at this point have more rights legally to go after this individual. I'm planning to follow up tomorrow also think it may be a good idea to follow up with the prosecutors office . Below is the number Goddard provided in the original email ** Goddard Systems, Inc. Customer Relations department is available to address parent questions and concerns at 1-877-402-2554.
Goddard parent

Hampton, NJ

#12 Feb 25, 2013
I want to know the kid's twitter handle so I can look at the feed and make sure there's nothing else about which I should be concerned. Thank goodness Goddard was able to get hands on this so quickly. At the very least this should go on the kid's permanent record.
Goddard parent

Roseland, NJ

#13 Feb 25, 2013
2 cops at Randolph Goddard again this morning. Director said it was to ease some parents' concerns.
Goddard parent - Randolph

Summit, NJ

#14 Feb 25, 2013
I can't believe this hasn't been covered in any of the news media. Did anyone see there was a bomb threat made by a 13 year old back in October in Colorado? Was the Randolph incident a "copy cat". Seems strange two Goddard Schools were targeted in less than 6 months but who knows anymore. Thank goodness there was no actual danger, but the police presence on site Friday was frightening for such young children. My very young daughter noticed the police cars this morning, but I have to say, I'm glad they were there and are taking this seriously. A daycare? What is wrong with people today????
Denville Goddard Parent

Parsippany, NJ

#15 Feb 25, 2013
No police at our Goddard this morning, which I would have preferred to see. The kid pulled the tweet off of Twitter before I got the email from the school on Friday - we have a social media monitoring service where I work so we looked into it immediately. Twitter has changed it's set up and once a tweet is deleted, you can no longer search and find it.

I think that the school should at the very least, get a restraining order. I do not want to start any rumors but I did hear from one of the teachers that the offening teen has the same last name as a child that attends the Denville school, though I have absolutely no idea how she came of that information or if it is true.
Concerned Parent

Budd Lake, NJ

#16 Feb 25, 2013
I received an update today that the individual who made the tweet will be dealt with through the Juvenile Court System. I wish I had more details as to what charge(s) are pending against him.

I also heard the individual's father is a lawyer with a lot of connections and something to the extent he got an injunction against the media getting involved. I don't the validity of the father's role in this issue as of yet, but am certain about the individual being charged in the Juvenile Court System.
Denville Goddard parent

Dumont, NJ

#17 Feb 25, 2013
Friday I tried every extension at the Randolph PD and could not reach a live person. My friend who has children at the Wayne Goddard called NJ 12 and I've emailed the Star Ledger only to hear nothing back. Tonight I emailed cnn. I'm EXTREMELY disturbed that Goddard and the Randolph PD are ok calling this a "joke". I want to know if this kid was truly investigated. A normal teenager doesn't threaten to "blow up" (or whatever word he used) a place where BABIES are. That's not normal in any way and definitely not a JOKE. I want to know that his computer was searched, his computer history was viewed, his schoolwork reviewed.....we as parents deserve more answers.
Denville Goddard Mom

Parsippany, NJ

#18 Feb 26, 2013
I too, tried each extension at the Randolph PD and was unable to get a live person. It is unacceptable that because this child's parent is a lawyer that the THOUSANDS of parents who send their children to Goddard Schools in New Jersey do not have the answers or peace of mind that they need and deserve. I plsn to write a letter to the editor at some of the local newspapers. Perhaps the media is unable to write about what has happened and the lack of follow up but as parents, we certainly CAN.
Denville Goddard Mom

Parsippany, NJ

#19 Feb 26, 2013
Received this email from school last night: Dear Parents,

In an effort to keep you updated on the developments from Friday’s incident, we have been in frequent communication with Goddard Systems, Inc.(our corporate office) and the local authorities as they continue their investigation.

The Randolph Police Department has determined that the tweet sent out by a local high school student was completely random and not a viable threat to any Goddard School or educational institution. After their investigation, the police have concluded that the tweet was insensitive and inappropriate. The individual, however, was brought into custody and charged with a third-degree crime; the case is now being handled in juvenile court.

Additionally, the CEO and COO of Goddard Systems, Inc. have spoken to the individual, who was very remorseful and issued an apology, and to his father, who also understood the need for Goddard to react as it did.

Safety is our daily priority and keeping you informed of situations like this is part of our commitment to your family. We are dedicated to creating a safe and fun environment that promotes a lifelong love of learning.

We appreciate your support and I encourage you to contact me if you have any questions. Additionally, Goddard Systems, Inc. Customer Relations department is available to address parent questions and concerns at 1-877-402-2554.

Denville

Danielson, CT

#20 Feb 26, 2013
I agree. Another idea is we can take to our twitter facebook ect accounts and share this story. Within all of our contacts we may stumble across someone that knows the child that made this threat. This is so disheartening that just to get piece of mind you have to take matters in your own hands. I almost feel they are doing more to protect this predictor rather than our innocent babies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Randolph Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
thinking of living in dover (Jul '07) Oct '14 dough 16
Mezuzah Campaign: Protect your Home and Your Ho... Aug '14 shell 1
Review: Roxbury Auto Wreckers Aug '14 Jessie 1
Review: Eastern Dental Of Parsippany - Martin S... (Feb '09) Aug '14 tim 12
Citizens group presses Morris freeholders to sa... Aug '14 Luigi 1
John Miller and Sooner Copy Machines Norman, O... (Jan '11) Aug '14 RHD 40
Review: RBM General Contracting (May '14) May '14 Mary 1

Randolph News Video

Randolph Dating
Find my Match