Dying to be a U.S. citizen

Full story: Baltimore Sun
The news that her oldest son had been killed in Iraq was more than Michelle Murphy could bear. Full Story
Chris

Silver Spring, MD

#1 Jun 15, 2008
This is a sad and beautiful story.

The system that allows illegal aliens a pass then beats up on the honest, law abiding legal immigrants is messed up indeed.

I pray that thanks to this remarkable woman’s efforts that no other service person or their families suffers the many indignities meted to honest, law abiding immigrants.

Army Spc. Kendell K. Frederick has a brave and strong mother. I am so sorry for the loss that family is suffering.
Gus Smegma

Finksburg, MD

#3 Jun 15, 2008
Where does Kendall Frederick's dad fit in this story?

Typical Sun stories list offspring with different surnames from their mothers and the father is rarely mentioned in any fashion.

Why?

If his Mom is a stay-at-home mother to 3 other children what does her spouse do, if, in fact, she has a spouse.

This boy came here from Trinidad but did his father remain there.

Not reporting on the effect such a tragic death has on BOTH parents gives us an incomplete picture.

Or is this something the Sun chooses to hide/ignore/omit?
Cherri

Baltimore, MD

#4 Jun 16, 2008
My heart goes out to Michelle and her family. There is no greater loss than that of your child. I am disgusted to read how Kendell was treated over this issue, and applaud you for having the strength to change it.
Wishing you peace and comfort.
mychildlossgrief.org

Since: May 08

Lawton, OK

#5 Jun 18, 2008
It shouldnt matter where his father is at? That young man was over in Iraq without him. He was trying to become a US citizen without him. What does the location of his father have to do with him dying in Iraq trying to get his green card? Nothing. Stick to the story at hand.

My heart goes out to the family. My bf is currently in Iraq and I work on base. I see US soldiers that arent citizens everyday. I think that if they can fight for me, they have the right to be a citizen. Too man young ppl have died over there and are buried here, stateside, that arent US citizens. They become one after the fact. A lil late for that, I think.
J Wren

Severna Park, MD

#6 Jun 26, 2008
Mr. Smegma, your comments are utterly irrelevant. It doesn't matter to the story where his father is. It doesn't matter if his father is still in Trinidad, ran off with the maid, was never in K. Frederick's life at all, or died in Trinidad with Kendall was four. It simply has no bearing on the story at hand.
My sympathy and prayers go out to the family - losing a loved one is never easy, and for a mother to lose her eldest child, who was a proud and productive adult, must be a terrible blow. Frederick has my respect and gratitude for the service he has given the US, and my regrets that our beauracracies could allow him to serve in the military and lay down his life while simultaneously preventing him from attaining his goal of citizenship. May he rest in peace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Randallstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IDT Energy – Is this legit or scam? (Jun '13) Dec 17 JOHN RAMIL MAPATAC 99
Man charged with Lochearn murder Nov '14 willjones 1
Pikesville Music Emporium (Oct '12) Nov '14 Musikologist 11
advertising property as a private owner Nov '14 AnneF 1
City man charged in Woodlawn shootings (Jul '07) Nov '14 Mother in law 30
Review: Baltimore Certified Movers Oct '14 Bonny 1
Baltimore Stands with Israel Sep '14 Zioni 80
Randallstown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web