Not your father's automobile tax

Not your father's automobile tax

There are 14 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jan 2, 2008, titled Not your father's automobile tax. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Balu Balasubramanyam, an amiable father of three, started out brightly on this year's first day to buy a new Toyota Highlander.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Fells Point Craig

Baltimore, MD

#1 Jan 2, 2008
Just the begining! Tis the season for tax and spend government! Get ready Maryland, your pocketbook will be much lighter in 08. But then again, you voted for it!
Fed up in Towson

Cockeysville, MD

#2 Jan 2, 2008
I'd wager that the majority of people who voted for O'Malley don't own cars anyway. More entitlements paid for by the rest of us.
Title Clerk in MD

Elroy, WI

#3 Jan 2, 2008
This article is wrong according to everything our dealership has recieved from MVA. The sales tax increases January 3rd. The Vehicle excise tax increased on January 1.
Jim M

Clarence, PA

#4 Jan 2, 2008
I think the increase went in on the first for the title tax
check your source
flyingcow

East New Market, MD

#5 Jan 2, 2008
More "legal plunder" by state government.....
f u maryland

Miami, FL

#6 Jan 2, 2008
STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DO NOT HAVE O'MALLEY!!!!
Mongo

Great Mills, MD

#8 Jan 2, 2008
Fed up in Towson wrote:
I'd wager that the majority of people who voted for O'Malley don't own cars anyway. More entitlements paid for by the rest of us.
And probably don't own computers or read the paper to understand what is going on. They probably don't care, either since they are likely on the dole as welfare recipients or government employees.
Reality Check

Washington, DC

#9 Jan 2, 2008
If you look at the plan that O'Malley proposed, until it was gutted by the Legislature, he would have given a property tax cut to all those who made less than $150K to offset the sales tax increase, it would have gotten multi-state companies like Comcast and BGE who don't pay 1 cent in taxes in Maryland because they file in Delaware, to pay their fair share and would really have only affected the top 1%, who got millions of dollars of tax cuts from the Bush Administration. But those so-called tax opponents in the Legislature who get millions of dollars of campaign contributions from these multi-state companies and rich people who can afford to pay higher taxes, are the ones you should blame for the hit you're taking in your wallet. But this money is for schools and roads, which are the largest parts of the state budget; the health care part comes from the cigarette tax, not welfare which is less than 1% of 1% of the state budget. Get your fact straight before your reflexive O'Malley bashing!
Wild Bill

Annandale, VA

#10 Jan 2, 2008
Why are us smokers, taxed more than anyone else? How about increase the tax on alcohol! There are enough drinkers out there to help ease the tax increase on us smokers!

I admit, neither one is good for you, but lets be fair!
Just one more

Joliet, IL

#11 Jan 2, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
If you look at the plan that O'Malley proposed, until it was gutted by the Legislature, he would have given a property tax cut to all those who made less than $150K to offset the sales tax increase, it would have gotten multi-state companies like Comcast and BGE who don't pay 1 cent in taxes in Maryland because they file in Delaware, to pay their fair share and would really have only affected the top 1%, who got millions of dollars of tax cuts from the Bush Administration. But those so-called tax opponents in the Legislature who get millions of dollars of campaign contributions from these multi-state companies and rich people who can afford to pay higher taxes, are the ones you should blame for the hit you're taking in your wallet. But this money is for schools and roads, which are the largest parts of the state budget; the health care part comes from the cigarette tax, not welfare which is less than 1% of 1% of the state budget. Get your fact straight before your reflexive O'Malley bashing!
Exactly who is this big bad corp that doesn't pay taxes? First, corporations are not living breething entities. Rather they're made up of millions of americans who, when they sell their shares, pay taxes in the form of capital gains. So the 11% increase in last year's budget wasn't enough (appox 1.4B) that we now need to raise add'l revenue before O'malley can even submit his budget? Let's be honest about getting facts straight because you cannot possibly have a budget shortfall without a budget! Try simply spending less! If you honestly believe that our govt can't trim 5% off of every program, you're sorely mistaken and have never seen how a business is run and compared it to how our gov't agencies are run...Oh and for the record, the % of overall federal taxes that the top 1% of wage earners pays has actually gone up since the Bush tax cuts.
Reality Check

Belcamp, MD

#12 Jan 2, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
If you look at the plan that O'Malley proposed, until it was gutted by the Legislature, he would have given a property tax cut to all those who made less than $150K to offset the sales tax increase, it would have gotten multi-state companies like Comcast and BGE who don't pay 1 cent in taxes in Maryland because they file in Delaware, to pay their fair share and would really have only affected the top 1%, who got millions of dollars of tax cuts from the Bush Administration. But those so-called tax opponents in the Legislature who get millions of dollars of campaign contributions from these multi-state companies and rich people who can afford to pay higher taxes, are the ones you should blame for the hit you're taking in your wallet. But this money is for schools and roads, which are the largest parts of the state budget; the health care part comes from the cigarette tax, not welfare which is less than 1% of 1% of the state budget. Get your fact straight before your reflexive O'Malley bashing!
How can you say where this money is to go? O'Malley hasn't presented a budget yet!
Reality Check

Belcamp, MD

#13 Jan 2, 2008
Wild Bill wrote:
Why are us smokers, taxed more than anyone else? How about increase the tax on alcohol! There are enough drinkers out there to help ease the tax increase on us smokers!
I admit, neither one is good for you, but lets be fair!
The liquor lobby is much stronger than the tobacco lobby. There's nothing fair about it. Smokers are just good targets for state sponsored theft.
Reality Check

Belcamp, MD

#14 Jan 2, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
If you look at the plan that O'Malley proposed, until it was gutted by the Legislature, he would have given a property tax cut to all those who made less than $150K to offset the sales tax increase, it would have gotten multi-state companies like Comcast and BGE who don't pay 1 cent in taxes in Maryland because they file in Delaware, to pay their fair share and would really have only affected the top 1%, who got millions of dollars of tax cuts from the Bush Administration. But those so-called tax opponents in the Legislature who get millions of dollars of campaign contributions from these multi-state companies and rich people who can afford to pay higher taxes, are the ones you should blame for the hit you're taking in your wallet. But this money is for schools and roads, which are the largest parts of the state budget; the health care part comes from the cigarette tax, not welfare which is less than 1% of 1% of the state budget. Get your fact straight before your reflexive O'Malley bashing!
If O'Malley's proposal was so bright and shiny, why did he ram it through a special session? Perhaps it couldn't withstand the public scrutiny of being presented in a regular session.
Buschman

Elkridge, MD

#15 Jan 2, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
If you look at the plan that O'Malley proposed, until it was gutted by the Legislature, he would have given a property tax cut to all those who made less than $150K to offset the sales tax increase, it would have gotten multi-state companies like Comcast and BGE who don't pay 1 cent in taxes in Maryland because they file in Delaware, to pay their fair share and would really have only affected the top 1%, who got millions of dollars of tax cuts from the Bush Administration. But those so-called tax opponents in the Legislature who get millions of dollars of campaign contributions from these multi-state companies and rich people who can afford to pay higher taxes, are the ones you should blame for the hit you're taking in your wallet. But this money is for schools and roads, which are the largest parts of the state budget; the health care part comes from the cigarette tax, not welfare which is less than 1% of 1% of the state budget. Get your fact straight before your reflexive O'Malley bashing!
Then why didn't O'Malley veto the package the legislature sent to him?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Randallstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IDT Energy – Is this legit or scam? (Jun '13) Tue RTEE 133
Pikesville Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jun '16 Musikologist 14
smokers are losers (Jan '11) May '16 Dustin Fitz 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May '16 PFC Jones 19
News Presidential Candidates Making Rounds In Maryland Apr '16 FirstGentleman 2
News Galloway v. Santander Consumer Usa Inc Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News GameStop Robber Sentenced to 9 Years: U.S. Atto... (Feb '16) Feb '16 EMMA 2

Randallstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Randallstown Mortgages