Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 9,419)

Showing posts 188,361 - 188,380 of199,087
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

douchebaggery wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel you, Dan. I was the same way. I hated the idea of gays getting married. Then my sister, who is a lawyer adept at convincing people, and I had an argument about gay marriage. After it was over, it started sinking in and I started changing my view. How does it affect me if they get married? It doesn't. They are no less human than anybody else here and they deserve equal respect. My work is somewhat fashionable, so I work with a lot of gays now. They are funny dudes. I respect them as much as I do anybody else. Maybe a little more, because they are so friendly and nice. Better to talk to than the stuck-up women at my work. I guess my dislike came from not understanding them. I have nothing against them now.
By that reasoning how would plural marriage affect you or me? Or a marriage of siblings? If the only deciding factor is "it doesn't affect me", then any number of consenting adult relationships could be designated "marriage". What then is the point of recognizing it at all then, if marriage means anything and everything?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Melanie wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG if this was radio.....People would be peeing their pants from laughing!!!

I'll be here all week....please be kind to your waitress.

“"The 14th Amendment Works"”

Since: Jul 13

Livermore California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Heck - you remember don't you.
When I went as "Denver Dan" only to piss off over half the gay community in TOPIX.
The late 'Golem' and me would go rounds and I would call him the 'Gay Genie' given his bald cross armed Mr. Clean stature in his pic.
LOL!!!
I was worse than KiKrazy trust me. Most of mine though fell into smartass comments against the gay community.
I cannot remember the one who kept up with me but who was so polite as to make me actually think but between him and giving it all some thought is when I realized gays should be allowed to be married nationwide and this stupid conflict should settle down like a long past dust storm into same sex marriage as a non-issue.
And my journey was much like yours Dan,it just took place a few years before you,especially after meeting and getting to know gay folk through the course of my job! There are good and bad with every human being but the majority of us heteros like the majority of gays are good decent people!Carry on!
Melanie

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>I'll be here all week....please be kind to your waitress.
:) you got It!!!

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
By that reasoning how would plural marriage affect you or me? Or a marriage of siblings? If the only deciding factor is "it doesn't affect me", then any number of consenting adult relationships could be designated "marriage". What then is the point of recognizing it at all then, if marriage means anything and everything?
You're putting words into my mouth. It does not affect me, therefore, I am not partaking in ridiculous debates against it. Live and let live.

Honestly, if siblings want to marry, so be it. It happens anyways. It is illegal, however, because of the clear health problems that can be passed down to the child through incestuous intercourse. There are no such threats in gay marriage.

I feel you are arguing from this conservative, "the sacred definition of marriage" bullshit that is getting old. Times change--get over it.
Melanie

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Frankie.........Where are you???
I miss your hokey self serving stories.
R-1 for President

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

I don't always talk to Obama voters , but when I do I ask for large fries
Melanie

Reseda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

R-1 for President wrote:
Who else ya gonna get? Donald Trump?
The Pickens are slim.I heard Obama had
a mental breakdown....He was upset that that he was "Putin Down"!!

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on.
I had some ugly things I partook in my past. Purposely searched out gay bars to beat up gays in my early 20's back in 1982 -'84. Howled at Sam Kineson's gay jokes. Etc. Looking back all I see is a waste of time and I did get a chance to hear that same joke track 2 years ago only to think the jokes on homosexuals fell flat.
I don't interact with gays albeit I know a few. Nowadays I really don't discern the difference or care to. I give a shit less is John is holding Ted's hand at Sunday morning's farmers market and the like.
I wish you could convey to these gay bashers and those seriously opposed to gays marrying what a complete waste of time and effort it is. Crap....saving the endangered Mongolian earthworm holds more value than getting all twisted about someone elses personal life because they happen to be gay.
I agree. What they do in the bedroom is their business. Wouldn't it make the active haters gay for being so interested in gay peoples affairs? Gayception?

I was born in 88, so by the time I was in high school, gays were somewhat accepted. At least in southern california where I grew up. I mean, we used to make fun of them a lot, but quickly died out by college.

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

R-1 for President wrote:
From city-data.com :
Median household income in Topeka in 2009:$39,109
Median family income in Rancho Palos Verdes in 2009:$125,716

And a medium coke with that please.
romeo

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

wtf why are they wasting so much time on this topic lets move on!
R-1 for President

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

douchebaggery wrote:
<quoted text>
From city-data.com :
Median household income in Topeka in 2009:$39,109
Median family income in Rancho Palos Verdes in 2009:$125,716
And a medium coke with that please.
I've never been to Topeka, but I proxy there.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

douchebaggery wrote:
<quoted text>
You're putting words into my mouth. It does not affect me, therefore, I am not partaking in ridiculous debates against it. Live and let live.
Honestly, if siblings want to marry, so be it. It happens anyways. It is illegal, however, because of the clear health problems that can be passed down to the child through incestuous intercourse. There are no such threats in gay marriage.
Nor are there such threats with same sex siblings.
I feel you are arguing from this conservative, "the sacred definition of marriage" bullshit that is getting old. Times change--get over it.
You dodged the question. Where is the line drawn? SSM? Polygamy? Polyamory? Siblings?

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...I'm here to tell ya...the median family income in Sacramento is $12,903 and eleven cents.
I gotta move.
LOL!!!
No, Sacramento is 50k in 2009. I hope our state capital is not 13!

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

R-1 for President wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never been to Topeka, but I proxy there.
Makes sense. A lot of companies proxy their IP there, since it is in the middle of the nation. Your first post sounded like something someone from Topeka would say though...you gotta admit that.

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor are there such threats with same sex siblings.
<quoted text>
You dodged the question. Where is the line drawn? SSM? Polygamy? Polyamory? Siblings?
I did answer your question indirectly: I don't care. Polygamy is illegal, yet Mormons do it. Legal or not, lines drawn or not, it will get crossed by those who seriously believe in it. As I fear your comprehension may be low, I will reiterate- I DON'T CARE. Answering the same question semantically altered is getting tiring. Let me phrase it bluntly, screw your ancient definition of marriage.

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Different culture. As far as I knew gays didn't dare to come out in the 70's and early to mid-80's.
Went to high school with a kid who became an Olympic medal winning diver who came up gay (not Louganis FYI). We never knew. One of my best friends turned out to be bi-sexual. Found out in my 30's. Blew my mind. If they were to pop up as being gay back in the day there's no doubt they would have gotten a daily beating.
The education they're offering kids in school or attempting to is a good thing. Teaching that gays are just another element of the fabric of society. Christ brother...they're supposed to number about ten percent of the population. As even 'Pietro Almondando' or whatever the fool calls himself in here would say; 'Thatsa lotsa peoples'.
Haha that is a lot of people. I think education is becoming much more tolerant of diversity and changes. I think the generation younger than me is even more tolerant to sexual orientation that you cannot tell what gender they are anymore (i.e. skinny jeans). That look was gay back in the day, but now its the in thing. Gays can hide in plain sight now.

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2009 it was supposed to be 90K.
Me and three others managed to drag it down.
LOL!!!
Hahahahh!! Oh, man I was drinking water when I read this too.

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Florida Gator wrote:
A female protestor in Florida held a sign that said: Justise 4 Trayvon!!
Are 1 of my 13 suns next?
This is how Barack Obama got elected President of the United States, twice.
Your location is Man Ass as?

13 suns? What planet do you live on? Our solar system has one. How are you communicating with us right now?

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
I gotta sack out. Busy day manana.
Good day in the threads. Actually met some great people and had some good feedback. Thanks.
Have a good night!!!!!!!!!!
It was nice talking to you. Have a good night, Dan. Take care.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 188,361 - 188,380 of199,087
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rancho Palos Verdes Discussions

Search the Rancho Palos Verdes Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 23 min Bruno24 15,672
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 6 hr Blubbering 7,304
Elin Vanderlip dies at 90 at her Rancho Palos V... (Jul '09) Sat Just Saying 84
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sat Drafty 4,559
Gardena police officer gives emotional testimon... (Aug '10) Apr 16 Eric hyde 19
What is the back story re Scottsdale Townhomes (Apr '10) Apr 16 SCOTTSDALE OWNER 7
Review: Multi Media Spectrum (Oct '12) Apr 16 Solar leads CA 9
•••
•••

Rancho Palos Verdes News Video

•••
Rancho Palos Verdes Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Rancho Palos Verdes Jobs

•••
•••